Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

9 hours ago, Unruly said:

Should have let the predators have it. Starlings are an invasive species that need to go away. At least that's true if you're in North America. The only reason they're here is because some idiot was obsessed with Shakespeare and intentionally released mating pairs because he wanted to introduce all the birds mentioned in Shakespeare's works to the US...

Starlings are a native species in the UK and are being hit by a whole bunch of manmade problems, so I'd happily take the North American ones back. In exchange I could return all the grey squirrels and mink that cause a fair amount of problems here. 

That said, if I see a creature in distress I will try to save it. It might not affect the world in the grand scheme of things, but to that one little life it makes all the difference.

• Like 10

Jury duty: "All jurors need to park in this lot. Don't park anywhere else or else you're responsible for paying for your parking. Make sure you hang the placard we gave you."

Parking lot has 35 spaces. There's about 100 jurors. So I parked at a meter right across the street, tried to pay it, and the meter was dead. I still put my money in it just in case, and I've got the juror placard hanging in the car. I shouldn't get a ticket based solely on the fact that the meter isn't working, but you never know.

• Like 11

I may have a Cunning PlanTM for the after school game, if it continues.

Give each of the groups a choice - Detectives or Armed Response.

If the choices fall the way that I think that they might, I could end up with the Detectives of the Fearsome Foursome creating the missions that the Armed Response of the Five Man Band is sent to deal with....

The Auld Grump

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:

Starlings are a native species in the UK and are being hit by a whole bunch of manmade problems, so I'd happily take the North American ones back. In exchange I could return all the grey squirrels and mink that cause a fair amount of problems here. 

That said, if I see a creature in distress I will try to save it. It might not affect the world in the grand scheme of things, but to that one little life it makes all the difference.

I liked both this post and your starling post because starlings are native to your area, and helping out a native avian is a good thing to do.  I am rather fond of birds, and if starlings were not an obscenely successful invasive menace here I imagine I'd be fond of them, too.  They are clever, can be trained, and do make neat companions.  But, they are also quite destructive to native birds.  I get annoyed when people help save them here, but as a rule I don't scold people for having a heart since most people don't know very much about birds and just want to help a "cute" thing.  On the balance, it's probably better they have this compassion than not have it.  In your case, since it's a native species, then you did the right thing.  

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Hubby has a funny story about that.

I have several*. ::P:

Then there was a girl in one of my games in the 1980s, who had a trick where she would wear a ring of Fire Protection, then cast Fireball with herself as Ground Zero....

I used to pull her out as an example that the crazy, fire prone players aren't always male. ::D: (Including a strip tease in a crowded tavern, followed by Fireball as the hooligans all gathered close to oggle her. Marysianna the Mad, played by Pat Hutchins - 1979 to 1981. 18 Int, 9 Wis, Chaotic Neutral.)

The Auld Grump

* Especially from the old days, when a Fireball was 33,000 Cubic Feet, and conformed to the shape of the structure. Thirty-three 10'x10'x10' cubes... and a 30'x30'x10 room uses up only nine of them. Assuming that the lucky wizard cast fireball down the corridor and through the only door into the chamber... care to work out how far down the corridor the blowback is, and compare it to the range of the spell? Whoops.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

9 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

* Especially from the old days, when a Fireball was 33,000 Cubic Feet, and conformed to the shape of the structure. Thirty-three 10'x10'x10' cubes... and a 30'x30'x10 room uses up only nine of them. Assuming that the lucky wizard cast fireball down the corridor and through the only door into the chamber... care to work out how far down the corridor the blowback is, and compare it to the range of the spell? Whoops.

Heh... This happened a few sessions back in my game. "Sorry guys, I meant to cast lightning bolt..."

• Haha 11

Hmmmm....

Alyssa Faden is doing the map for Tegel Manor....

Faden doing maps for Tegel Manor reminds me of Michelangelo's famous Black Velvet Elvis....

The Auld Grump

• Like 4

I was going to say the caffeine wasn’t really helping this morning and then realized I haven’t had any. Now trying to choose between consuming some or just going to sleep at my desk. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

16 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

I was going to say the caffeine wasn’t really helping this morning and then realized I haven’t had any. Now trying to choose between consuming some or just going to sleep at my desk. 

I mean... Can you get away with napping? And avoid a headache?

• Like 6

Hmm... Sam's birthday is in a couple of weeks, I'd managed to forget about it. (Reminded by a question about the Fire Giant Gaoler.)

*EDIT* Dain and Sam have their birthdays exactly a week apart, for the past two years Dain's parents have had a camp out that we have been invited to, last year Sam and Sam's parents also came along.

I think I will be painting some miniatures and making some encounters to use them in.

I need to find out how her own after school campaign went, and if she wants to expand upon the duergar/fire giant empire.  To the North and West of the Keep on the Borderlands.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I mean... Can you get away with napping? And avoid a headache?

Headache from low caffeine is not normally a problem for me. The only thing caffeine usually affects is wakefulness.

Sadly, I’m sure if I laid my head down for even an instant all these hairless apes around me would immediately need my assistance for some incomprehensible human ritual related to the great summoning they have been performing every day while I observe them. I haven’t actually figured out what result they are trying to achieve with all their arcane comings and goings but have managed to identify the spell name which is apparently ‘work’.  I will report back as more detail is available. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

Ugh. I have to report 4 more times over the next 3 months for potential jury selection...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 10

Well, my day off to paint is flying away. Had to call in to a 8am meeting that ran over, then a massive headache cried out for pills and a nap. So, almost noon here and I'm finally sitting down to paint.

Problem is, I'm not sure what. Should read up on what entries I can do for the con.

No! Bad painter! Bad! Just paint anything at this point.

Fine, fine. I'll paint. Something. Random dip into the Bones bucket, or something else. I'll put a timer on for five minutes then paint.

That'll do pig. I mean painter.

You hush.

• Like 5
  • Haha 7