Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Welcome to the other returning member. 

We have discovered little Bran is fierce enough to hold the dog and older cats at bay from his food while he is eating it. First time the dog never managed to steal a cat's treat.

I need to get a lamp to keep painting so that is on my list now. Now to go fill up a cart

• Like 12

I'm on vacation, and spending some of the time on the couch(or the hammock out on the verandah), and some of the time doing odd projects and trying to get some sort of order into my hobby room and attic...   

Basically, I'm stuffing things into big cardboard boxes and hope I can find room for it in the attic...  

Anyway, I find a lot of weird and geeky stuff...  

Stuffed between a 'PC Compatibility moduile' for a SUN SparcStation and a box of solderable Ni-Cads(for a project to rebuild a portable. I wonder where that portable is) I found the Tank Vixens Collectible Card Game(M-rated version printed in the UK, not the G-rated US version) and even the comics... 

I have FORTH (programming langfuage) for the C64, a 'Microchip creator' package for the Sinclair ZX Spectrum...   

A large box of servos... mostly 9grams, but a lot of smaller ones, including 1.5gram versions.  

(Nope, not the weight they can pull, but what they weigh)

Don't even ask how many fishing lures have been found... 

Tomorrow I think I'll try to get my ancient Electric bicycle working again.... 

(I rebuilt a regular bicycle with a big battery pack and a rear hub mounted motor. It worked... )

• Like 9

AAArrrghhhhhhhhhhhhh...

And now replies from other people have been pouring in:

"Why doesn't the video cover X?"
"Shouldn't the video cover Y, too?"
"Where is Z?"
"Did you mention M?"

If I include X, Y and Z in this video, it will be 20 minutes of me droning on.  X, Y & Z are all slated for separate videos.  The entire idea behind this video tutorial series is that each one would cover a single subject, and/or would be no more than 5-7 minutes long if at all possible. 

As for M, it's in the audio track - I haven't added the graphics yet.  Yep, that feed back came from someone without speakers. 

1 minute ago, Gadgetman! said:

Don't even ask how many fishing lures have been found... 

So, how many?  :devil:

Come on, you knew someone was gonna ask. 

• Like 9

56 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Just finished the first rough cut of a tutorial video for my client.  Sent them the link to ask for feedback and review. 

Just got informed that most of the people there I sent it to don't have speakers on their computers, and some of them don't even have audio cards. 

Guess they're getting speakers/audio cards, or I'm not getting much feedback. 

I'm guessing business-level desktops. 

They usually have soundcards, but there's no built-in speakers.

7 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

that's what I was thinking, but I'm not going to argue with them.  

Right now I'm getting "Oh, we have a newer logo now, use this one".  that's all fine and dandy, but the logo's they're sending me are 192 pixels wide or smaller, I need one that is at least 750 pixels wide, but no more than 900.   Apparently no one knows where the master copy of the new logo is so that they can make me an appropriately sized one. 

I'm betting that they had someone create a new logoand produce a website and/or stationary for them, and the designer is holding onto the originals...   

Too darn typical.

I know of a company that used to manufacture uniforms for marching bands. They had a near-complete monopoly in the country they operated in at one time. 

(Once you've sold a set of uniforms to a band, they'll always return to you because you have the patterns, so other companies can't get the contract unless they change uniforms)

They had all the designs on paper, and since they were modernising they needed to have them digitised.

The director didn't read the contract..

In it it stated that the consulting company that did the digitisation owned the final product.   

And when they got into an argument later on, the consultants took that contract to the court and demanded that the manufacturing company deleted everything from their server, and even hand over the backup tapes.   

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

3 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

I'm betting that they had someone create a new logo and produce a website and/or stationary for them, and the designer is holding onto the originals...   

Too darn typical.

I know the owner's brother created and manages the website, since I have to work with him for getting the videos posted. I don't know if the artwork was done in house or not - some is, some isn't.  My guess is that if it's not that, then it's on the the owner's or his brother's PC, and was never copied over to the server. 

9 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

I know of a company that used to manufacture uniforms for marching bands. They had a near-complete monopoly in the country they operated in at one time. 

(Once you've sold a set of uniforms to a band, they'll always return to you because you have the patterns, so other companies can't get the contract unless they change uniforms)

They had all the designs on paper, and since they were modernising they needed to have them digitised.

The director didn't read the contract..

In it it stated that the consulting company that did the digitisation owned the final product.   

And when they got into an argument later on, the consultants took that contract to the court and demanded that the manufacturing company deleted everything from their server, and even hand over the backup tapes.   

OUCH!

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

So, how many?  :devil:

Come on, you knew someone was gonna ask. 

Yeah, I know. It's a bit of a trick question anyhow. 

I didn't actually find any lures, but...

I found a spool of 0.17mm braided fishing line(nice), and some sort of 'spreader'(a lump of heavy plastic with 6 way too thin wires sticking out of in a spokeslike design where you can hang lures onm the ends).

Oh, and a fishing rod repair kit(a bunch of differen-sized line guides to replace damaged ones along the rod)

The Spreader and the repair kit is typical Chinese junk and went in the garbage.

• Like 6

Our son just got back from signing an Army enlistment contract.

Cheryl is a little freaked and mostly proud; I'm a mix of proud at his decision to serve and happy that he has made a substantive decision about what to really do with his life. And I'm happy that he's both apprehensive and excited about the decision. (And it was his decision entirely. We were supportive, but not really any more; he needed to decide, not be pushed into something.)

He's been running and doing calisthenics for the last couple of weeks to start his physical prep, and he's been doing that on his own, which indicates to me that he's self-motivated enough to succeed.

He has the advantage of an uncle who was an infantry First Sergeant, a grandfather who was career Navy and Air Force, and a bunch of friends who have served or are now serving in various services, so I'm hoping that he won't be as shocked by the changes that are coming as some kids are.

The only downside for us is that he has to report for transport on Labor Day here in Denver, so we'll have to leave Dallas at least a bit earlier than we planned on, but it's all good. His training is at Ft. Sill, so we should be able to watch his graduation ceremony a couple of months later.

• Like 21

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I met the head of the IRS today. Also failed to hot wire a wall. Been a weird day.

I'm fairly sure this code for something, I'm just not sure what....

::D:

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

*lays out ice cream, cake, bacon and coffee* Got my husband to join. Now to get him to chat...

• Like 16

Futon acquired, in pieces. It's got a broken bit of frame, but nothing that can't be fixed. I can go the repair route by gluing together the split part and reinforcing it with a piece of scrap 2x2, or I can go the replace route and make an entirely new one out of a 2x4 and have it be stronger than it was before. Haven't really decided which way I want to go with it.

• Like 11

29 minutes ago, Sanguine_Dragon said:

Well, cake and coffee are always guaranteed to have me appear anywhere. Hello, all! 

Welcome.

Edited by TripleH
  • Like 7

31 minutes ago, Sanguine_Dragon said:

Well, cake and coffee are always guaranteed to have me appear anywhere. Hello, all! 

Welcome!

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Sanguine_Dragon said:

Welcome to the forum! 

And a welcome back to @Flamehawke, I think I was offline the day you returned to this fine place ^_^

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 6