Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Lady Klarg is safely in Australia.

Finally.

She left Wednesday night (EDT), expecting to arrive early Friday morning (AEST)

Sadly, the airline's computers were (metaphorically?) on fire at the airport, so they were unable to check her in properly all the way through to Sydney.

The computer trouble also made her flight almost 1 hour late getting to her stop over at LAX.

On the plus side, the airline apparently figured out that they had a bunch of connection passengers who could not possibly navigate LAX in time to catch the flight to Sydney on their own, so they had people and a shuttle ready to go. (nice)

Unfortunately, when Lady Klarg arrived at the gate, they had no seat for her, and couldn't put her on the plane. :angry:

She (wisely) turned down their first offer to get her on a flight leaving LA Friday evening, and convinced them to find an alternative, which routed her through Honolulu, arriving about 14 hours after her original itinerary.

By that point, it was close to 1am on the west coast, and she was very tired. There was also no food to be had for another 4-5 hours.

Fast forward 7-8 hours, and she was able to eat, board her flight to Hawaii, and depart "on time"

Changeover in HNL went OK, although she reports being hot, since she was dressed for Boston and Sydney, not Hawaii.

She arrived in Sydney early this morning (EDT) to discover that her luggage did not follow her there.

Thankfully, the hotel welcomed her in, and gave her a sympathy snack when she checked in, but yeesh. That was awful, and I was only monitoring it remotely.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 6
  • Sad 9

12 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Unless you're using a flailwriter. ::P:

Flail Snails are ssslloowww typists, and they need a lot of keyboards.

Megan now has a tee that reads:

Villainess

Life.

Am I missing a reference? :huh:

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 4

28 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

Lady Klarg is safely in Australia.

Finally.

She left Wednesday night, expecting to arrive early Friday morning (AEST)

Sadly, the airline's computers were (metaphorically?) on fire at the airport, so they were unable to check her in properly all the way through to Sydney.

The computer trouble also made her flight almost 1 hour late getting to her stop over at LAX.

On the plus side, the airline apparently figured out that they had a bunch of connection passengers who could not possibly navigate LAX in time to catch the flight to Sydney on their own, so they had people and a shuttle ready to go. (nice)

Unfortunately, when Lady Klarg arrived at the gate, they had no seat for her, and couldn't put her on the plane. :angry:

She (wisely) turned down their first offer to get her on a flight leaving LA Friday evening, and convinced them to find an alternative, which routed her through Honolulu, arriving about 14 hours after her original itinerary.

By that point, it was close to 1am on the west coast, and she was very tired. There was also no food to be had for another 4-5 hours.

Fast forward 7-8 hours, and she was able to eat, board her flight to Hawaii, and depart "on time"

Changeover in HNL went OK, although she reports being hot, since she was dressed for Boston and Sydney, not Hawaii.

She arrived in Sydney early this morning (EDT) to discover that her luggage did not follow her there.

Thankfully, the hotel welcomed her in, and gave her a sympathy snack when she checked in, but yeesh. That was awful, and I was only monitoring it remotely.

Good grief, that sounds like an incredibly stressful trip! I hope her luggage arrives soon and in good condition, and it's good she made it there safely at least. 

We had something kind of similar happen the first time MrBoot and I flew home for the holidays (only a few months after getting married, too). We flew from Salt Lake into Boise, with a final destination of Portland, OR. There was some unpleasant weather developing in Portland when we left, but by the time we got to Boise it had gotten much worse (lots of snow (for Portland), freezing rain, high winds, etc.). We boarded and waited awhile, were told they were monitoring weather conditions, waited some more, then were deboarded while we continued to wait. Eventually we were informed that PDX had shut down due to both the weather (later called the Snowpocalypse of 2008 by local media) and running out of de-icer for the planes.

After discussing our options with a gate agent, we were able to fly into Seattle, and my awesome parents drove up to get us (it was chains most of the way too). We didn't get our luggage for 3 days, and when it finally got to PDX, we had to hunt around for it in literal heaps of other luggage, and MrBoot's suitcase sustained permanent damage due to ending up on the bottom of one of the stacks (it was old, though, and with all the chaos we didn't bother filing a report). 

So, yeah. That experience taught me to always pack a couple changes of clothes and any important medications into my carry-on/personal item, just in case. :wacko:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 10

10 hours ago, Colonel Kane said:

My apologies. My statement was not meant to draw sadness from family and friends. I am proud of myself. I am the kind of person who gives 110%, even when it hurts me. I could have gone to my boss after 5 or 6 hours and begged to have a break. I was not hungry and the job was not done, so I stayed and busted my butt till it was. Again my apologies.

So... this is all your fault then! Are you trying to take @buglips*the*goblin‘s honorary scapegoblin position?! He won’t like that.

May your shoes remain safe and remain in your own domicile!

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Tentacles.

Yes they can be a problem for typing.

Especially when proofreading turns into poof-reading and yu don't catch the typos till after hitting the "submit reply" key.

GEM

'Sa good thing they work better for painting.::P:

And then somebody Quotes you, preserving the typo for all eternity....

12 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

So all has been awesome for the newly single Mouse. But I might have made a large sacrifice to the miniature blood gods. Now in the ER. 

I have a scar from a similar wound on my left thumb - the scar is older than Megan. (From one of my first forays into vinyl modeling - the plastic cut with a lot less resistance than I had been expecting.)

The Auld Grump

13 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

When we started shacking up, Grump tried to convince me that a disused missile base would make a FINE home. <_<

Of COURSE I said yes, but by the time we looked to make a bid it was WAY outta reach.

What, you think Grump is the only crazy one in this family?

I MARRIED him! :lol:

We weren't thinking kids yet.

I remember that!

When I first saw it the starting bid was $5,000 - by the time I showed it to you it was over $100,000 - I think it went for over a half million.

The Auld Grump - or possibly a hundred million billion trillion dollars.....

• Like 11

Woke up super early for me because Husband needed help with the cat taking his pill. I got him to do it fairly easily. But now I can't go back to sleep. I'd like another hour or two but I think I'm up for a while. 

I have a ton to do today. Mostly dishes. But there are a lot of them. We have a dishwasher but when I opened it I discovered that a portion of the door that is next to the heating element is melted fairly badly. So that's a no go and I don't want to mention it to the in-laws until we're more unpacked. Which is taking longer than I'd hoped. I know we have all the time in the world to do it but MIL is talking about bringing youngest niece over while SIL and girls are in town in a few weeks. I'm hoping to just be able to go over to MIL's house instead because I hadn't intended to have stuff in some sort of order until at least the end of next month because we plan on having a housewarming party. In theory.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

*looks inside robe, see Mouse gone* AAAAGH! This is what happens when you leave my pocket! *stuffs her back inside, keeps her safe*

You aren't supposed to let your familiar get into the line of fire, Pez!

6 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Hide contents

15611075812132894163107031390027.thumb.jpg.9b498b83e5f88b99c1d0e474deea04bb.jpg

Otherwise this happens!!

Heal up swiftly, Mouse! May the hobby gods bring you smooth paint and pointy brushes :;):

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

Mouse, take care of that thumb! And don't do that again! M.E.O.W. has dispatched a bodyguard for you, since Pezler fell down on the job! He is under strict instructions to NOT eat mice, only Wizards...

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Thanks everyone! The well wishes are appreciated.  On an unrelated note, does anyone know where to get a clamp for holding minis while you cut? Asking for a friend. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 13

35 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

You aren't supposed to let your familiar get into the line of fire, Pez!

Otherwise this happens!!

You heard @Cyradis, folks. She's given me a quest to make @Paradoxical Mouse my familiar.

The best way is probably to gift her with some nice cut-resistant gloves......

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Thanks everyone! The well wishes are appreciated.  On an unrelated note, does anyone know where to get a clamp for holding minis while you cut? Asking for a friend. 

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

You heard @Cyradis, folks. She's given me a quest to make @Paradoxical Mouse my familiar.

The best way is probably to gift her with some nice cut-resistant gloves......

Pezler got there first, but yes, cut-resistant gloves. Note that they are only -resistant, not -proof. I like the knitted ones, because they breathe some, though really pointy knives can fit between the fibers if they go in point first.

Also, talk to a Cub Scout about cutting safely. :poke:

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Reveal hidden contents

15611075812132894163107031390027.thumb.jpg.9b498b83e5f88b99c1d0e474deea04bb.jpg

I'm a guy who's sliced up on a regular basis but have only had something like that 3 times in my life. Impressive! Hope it's not hurting too bad. 

4 mm of rain here in the last 3 months. Heading for over 3" in the last couple days. Everybody's happy about it but I'm hoping things aren't washing away. I've been mostly indoors so don't know what it's done to my fields. Really heavy overnight and early this morning. 

Finally tinkered with my foam cutter to get it making really accurate cuts. After a few minutes of continuous cutting my switch burnt out again. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Tried researching it but only have a couple vague ideas. Need to test a couple things and get another switch. I was too cheap to buy a Proxxon several years ago and mine originally only cost $40 for materials and some assembly time. In the last year or so I've spent another $40 on switches and still don't have a reliable cutter. A Proxxon is under $200 now and I'm wondering if I should just go buy it.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Most hobby shops and craft stores will have various solutions. 

091457AC-8403-4B4B-88F9-798C683AAA31.jpeg

Edited by Erifnogard
Somehow various became ‘Carl rooms’’
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

19 minutes ago, Zink said:

Finally tinkered with my foam cutter to get it making really accurate cuts. After a few minutes of continuous cutting my switch burnt out again. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Tried researching it but only have a couple vague ideas. Need to test a couple things and get another switch. I was too cheap to buy a Proxxon several years ago and mine originally only cost $40 for materials and some assembly time. In the last year or so I've spent another $40 on switches and still don't have a reliable cutter. A Proxxon is under $200 now and I'm wondering if I should just go buy it.

I've been thinking about getting a foam cutter, and if I do, I'm going to spring for the Proxxon. When everybody who uses a foam cutter swears by the same manufacturer, I figure I should probably follow their example.

That said, if you have access to a band saw, they work great for cutting foam and the small ones are about the same price as a Proxxon table.

Advantages:

• Very fast (much faster than a hot-wire cutter). You can cut about as fast as you can safely feed the foam.
  • Very clean cuts. No worries about burning the foam if you pause for a second. Very little worry about flexing the cutting tool and getting a wonky cut.
  • No worries about getting just the right temperature.
  • No toxic smoke.

Disadvantages:

• Hot wire cutters can give you nasty burns if you do things very wrong. Band saws can give you nasty amputations if you do things very wrong.
  • Band saws are very messy when cutting foam unless you have some sort of dust extraction system.
  • Band saws don't do cuts other than straight or smooth curves well at all.
  • Like 9