Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

You can message me on discord if you have questions. They pretty much run themselves once started :) 

I /think/ I figured it out but I will definitely message you if I need help. :D

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I discovered the other day that it's not just small animals that exhibit the Flehmen response - big animals can too. It makes sense, just one of those things you don't think about until it pops up.

Now I want to paint this super seriously. Very elegantly with graceful watercolors, emulate some of the traditional Chinese art I've seen.

But keep the face and hang it in the bathroom. My friend already wants a print. :lol: 

411350891_flehmenresponsetiger.thumb.jpg.b469a6c282748e04fab19fad6adbd579.jpg

I want to say that there is some ancient Central American art of big cats with their tongues out... Let me Google a mo.... Nope, didn't find what I was looking for, but I also didn't take as much time as I should have. (I need to help Julie's character escape punishment for a crime she did commit in Megan's Eberron game... apparently at least one of the ancient elven undead that the elves are so proud of had turned her worship towards the Dragon Below - and Julie's character kind of... killed her..)

The Auld Grump

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, TGP said:

Happy Solstice Y’all !

Thank you, and right back at you, Sir Griffon!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

If you need to do any location shooting in a breeze, you'll probably want a dead cat.

Just to clarify, for those who don't know audio talk, it's a cover you slide over the microphone.  They're these weird and fuzzy, designed to eliminate wind noise. 

They're called dead cats because they kind of look like a dead long furred alley cat ten feet away. 

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Just to clarify, for those who don't know audio talk, it's a cover you slide over the microphone.  They're these weird and fuzzy, designed to eliminate wind noise. 

They're called dead cats because they kind of look like a dead long furred alley cat ten feet away. 

I will now have to,speed test, cancel tonight's hunt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

2 hours ago, Morihalda said:
2 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

I'm setting up a discord server for one of my other hobbies (planning) because none seem to exist. It sure is complicated.

You can message me on discord if you have questions. They pretty much run themselves once started :) 

Or me. Between us, we should be able to help. ^^;

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kristof65 said:

maybe that's where I should start with this one.  I think the pops are coming from the air I exhale during those sounds. 

:lol: I was all ready to pull out my linguistics hat, but @WhiteWulfe and @Doug Sundseth beat me to it.

32 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I still find that particular term amusing, especially since when the things aren't on mics, they really do just look like a limp pile of fur.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Hmm, when I had access to a bandsaw, the edges it cut were quite smooth. I wonder whether the difference is a blade-type or tooth-size issue.

FWIW, I was cutting blocks with beveled sides for use in making 25mm scale gunboats for use in Space 1889, so I was using blocks of foam about 2" thick with angles ranging from vertical to around 60° and getting nice, sharp edges and corners (where I would expect the most trouble). This was using EPS foam; I didn't have XPS at the time.

It might be the blade choice causing it. I've only changed it once since I got it from my dad and both left a bit of a fuzzy edge on xps. You don't need real sharp teeth for foam but the old one finally got dull enough I couldn't do a decent job on the little bits of wood I do cut.

• Like 7

Power went off at the store. Naturally I look up at the light fixtures...right as the power comes back on and now I am seeing spots. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

On 6/20/2019 at 4:34 PM, Doug Sundseth said:
On 6/20/2019 at 4:32 PM, Weird-O said:

I've never wanted to print out and frame spam mail before, but eBay's never sent me messages asking me to bid on a battleship before, either.

Not a mini or model, and not one of those smaller ships that the news calls a battleship because it's got a gun or two on it. An actual battleship. :wub:

As long as you have a parking space, .... :rolleyes:

I feel like there's a joke here about where do you park your battleship...

:rolleyes:

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Hide contents

15611075812132894163107031390027.thumb.jpg.9b498b83e5f88b99c1d0e474deea04bb.jpg

Impressive!!

Now don't do it again. 

10 hours ago, OneBoot said:

So, yeah. That experience taught me to always pack a couple changes of clothes and any important medications into my carry-on/personal item, just in case. :wacko:

Yup. Good advice.

My CPA practice question scores are getting better. Decided to cut the studying a little early tonight. Gonna be up early to do another round before D&D. Then more after D&D. Then off to the airport to pick up my mother-in-law, then off to Long Island with her. Desperately need to clean the car first though.

There's been so much rain that all around the street side trees there are tons of mushrooms popping up. Looks like we're gonna have the chance to dry out for a couple of days at least. Of course with the Solstice, summer temps are finally arriving too. Can't complain too much, spring has been delightfully cool, if soggy. 

• Like 11

21 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I feel like there's a joke here about where do you park your battleship...

:rolleyes:

main-qimg-f80b411cd1d024c70854180474c7381f.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Reveal hidden contents

Oh Mouse!

That hurts just to look at.::(:

Heal Quickly, and make sure you are using a sharp blade but don't force it.

BTDT, got the scars.

We need our  @Paradoxical Mousein one piece that isn't held together by stitches.

And not spending time in the ER that could otherwise be spent in painting and other fun activities.

Heal Quickly [triple antibiotic {neosporin is the recognized brand but the generic works just as well} really does help].  And please, please, please try not to do that again.

GEM

• Like 6

Hide contents

Impressive, Most impressive, but you are not a , speed test, Jedi yet.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7