Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

10 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

And then somebody Quotes you, preserving the typo for all eternity....

I have a scar from a similar wound on my left thumb - the scar is older than Megan. (From one of my first forays into vinyl modeling - the plastic cut with a lot less resistance than I had been expecting.)

The Auld Grump

I remember that!

When I first saw it the starting bid was $5,000 - by the time I showed it to you it was over $100,000 - I think it went for over a half million.

The Auld Grump - or possibly a hundred million billion trillion dollars.....

One of the first principles I learned [mumble] decades ago was to never put anything into a form that may be preserved for all posterity that you don't want published.

I think it was about the same time that a certain person known as "Tricky Dicky" was having to explain a curious  17 minutes of blank tape in the middle of a recording and a group of people known as "The Plumbers" were involved in an "adventure" at the Watergate Hotel, but not related to these activities.

GEM

9 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Thanks everyone! The well wishes are appreciated.  On an unrelated note, does anyone know where to get a clamp for holding minis while you cut? Asking for a friend. 

I always use either two sided foam tape to stick the subject to the top of a pill bottle with something in the bottle to act as ballast so it won't tip over when I set it down, or hot glue if I'm out of tape.

The advantage of the pill bottle is that for real close manipulation I can unscrew the bottle from the cap without having to disturb the mounting point or handle the figure and just use the cap as the holding device.

GEM

• Like 6

7 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Site owner emails me: "Help, I'm missing about $3000.00 worth of credit card transactions from my system over the last two months. See attached report." 

The list he sent me is the report of declined pre-authorizations. 

I explain that the report is of transactions that were attempted, but declined, the customer didn't get a car wash, but the site owner is still adamant it's missing money I have to help him recover. 

Tell him to go talk to the Credit Card Issuers and get back to you about any ~remaining~ issues regarding these transactions only after all issues with the C.C.I. have been resolved.

GEM

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Flamehawke said:

*lays out buffet table of coffee, ice cream, bacon, tea, and tasty snacks*

Evening all. Slept all day due to having trouble falling asleep of a night recently. Though I need to go do research to fix my camera issue

I like her!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, Zink said:

I have a small table saw and band saw. I use them to cut foam a lot too. 

Table saw advantages

Very fast

Lots of room for ripping up large sheets

Accurate dado/rabbet, miter, cross and other cuts

Table saw disadvantages

Wide cut. 

Lots of foam saw dust which is way worse than wood saw dust to clean up

Hard to cut small pieces. I'm not brave/stupid enough to try cutting 1" or less square chunks on a table saw. I like having all my fingers.

I agree with what you wrote about bandsaws with one addition. The edges of the cuts are often rough needing to be sanded. Mine is small enough that I can only cut pieces just under 9" long and 2" thick on it. I made my foam cutter big enough to handle better than that. It can cut 6" thick and 12" wide and I'm not even sure how long. 12" x 12" and 4" thick it the biggest chunks I've run through it.

The biggest advantage for the foam cutter is the versatility and wide range of cuts you can do. And the cuts usually don't need any extra sanding or other work. Look at some of the jigs and videos from Shifting Lands. Amazing stuff and very easy to do with the proper equipment. The odds of burning yourself are small but it can happen. When you get the temp set right there's not too much fumes and you're literally only removing the width of the wire from your foam. Very handy for free hand and small/tiny pieces.

Now the problem with mine isn't that it won't cut. It's that the wire is too hot for fine work. This causes a lot of fumes, cuts are wide and can be sloppy if I stutter while pushing it through, can even make a hard layer of plastic on the edge of my cuts and leads to wires breaking often. The harder layer can be a pain if you're trying to do texturing on the foam like I am with the ton of walls I made this spring. In the short time my variable switches work for me I can do really nice work by adjusting the temp. But when it goes to full heat I'm limited to cruder large cuts.

Sounds like you need a current regulator in the circuit.  The traditional way to accomplish this is to put an incandescent bulb in line, or for extreme situations a ceramic block resistor of appropriate value.

Your switches are probably burning out because they are trying to pass too much current, overheat, and eventually burn out.

GEM

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Morihalda said:

411350891_flehmenresponsetiger.thumb.jpg.b469a6c282748e04fab19fad6adbd579.jpg

Official Statement from M.E.O.W. Headquarters:

We wish to apologize to both @Paradoxical Mouse and Binky the Bodyguard [pictured above]. His alleged chewing of the Wizard @Pezler the Polychromaticwas strictly in the line of his assigned duties. He has spent the last two hours trying to get the taste of wizard out of his mouth.

• Haha 19

Group is currently playing Mummy's Mask and I am playing a 15th lvl Archanist. During the course of the adventure, I had acquired a +2 consecrated, Holy, Sunsilver Longsword.

In tonights session we are currently going up against some Banshee's. We have already lost our cleric and other wizard. In my infinite wisdom, I attempt to toss the sword to the ranger to use against a banshee that is right next to him. 

I rolled to hit to see if I can get it to him. 

I rolled a 1 and confirmed the fumble. :zombie: 

Weapon broken. ::(::down:      

• Confused 2
  • Sad 10

33 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Official Statement from M.E.O.W. Headquarters:

We wish to apologize to both @Paradoxical Mouse and Binky the Bodyguard [pictured above]. His alleged chewing of the Wizard @Pezler the Polychromaticwas strictly in the line of his assigned duties. He has spent the last two hours trying to get the taste of wizard out of his mouth.

*mini Pez hangs on for dear life onto the tiger's uvula, tries to ride out all the hiccups*

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

25 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Sounds like you need a current regulator in the circuit.  The traditional way to accomplish this is to put an incandescent bulb in line, or for extreme situations a ceramic block resistor of appropriate value.

Your switches are probably burning out because they are trying to pass too much current, overheat, and eventually burn out.

GEM

That backs up what I read last night. Electrical work isn't my strong point but I do know enough to not hurt myself and generally not cause fires. I'm running a 12 volt battery charger at 2 amps through a 12v DC variable switch. When the first one burnt out I thought I might have accidentally switched to 10 amps and it wasn't rated that high. The second one was a 20 amp switch and it lasted longer. On one site I read advice stating that the way the charger works can damage switches even if the rated numbers work and you need to stick an electrolytic capacitor into the line before the switch. The other option mentioned was to use a 120v AC dimmer switch in the line before the battery charger.  I can get the 120v switch locally but if I want to try the 12v DC switch again I need to mail order it and the capacitor. Haven't decided which way to go yet but leaning towards the DC switch and capacitor. That way the temp control is right at the cutter instead of a couple steps away near the outlet.

I also tried splicing a pigtail with a 100 watt bulb in it into the line. Doesn't give me the variability I want/need but I was hoping it would be close to the temp I need to finish the little project I started. It worked but was too cold and barely cut through 1/2" xps. Was considering trying a lower watt bulb but didn't because I'd need to buy more parts to connect it all safely before doing any real work. Having bare twisted together wires and a hot bulb sitting on the workbench was ok for a less than a half minute test but not for doing any amount of work. 

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, TripleH said:

According to the DM, ........yes.

Personally, if I were the DM I would have made the Ranger roll to dodge the sword coming at them blade first instead.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TripleH said:

Group is currently playing Mummy's Mask and I am playing a 15th lvl Archanist. During the course of the adventure, I had acquired a +2 consecrated, Holy, Sunsilver Longsword.

In tonights session we are currently going up against some Banshee's. We have already lost our cleric and other wizard. In my infinite wisdom, I attempt to toss the sword to the ranger to use against a banshee that is right next to him. 

I rolled to hit to see if I can get it to him. 

I rolled a 1 and confirmed the fumble. :zombie: 

Weapon broken. ::(::down:      

So you're saying that in your group's world magic weapons are made to dollar store toy quality? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

We use Pathfinder Crit Hit & Crit Fumble cards. The weapon only received the broken condition which allows it to be repairable by someone who has the necessary feats and the mend spell.

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, Erifnogard said:

Personally, if I were the DM I would have made the Ranger roll to dodge the sword coming at them blade first instead.

See, this is how I roll.

Reflex save from the ranger. Then he rolls... a Luck Die ::P:

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Crowley said:

I feel like there's a joke here about where do you park your battleship...

:rolleyes:

D5?  As good a square as anywhere else...

• Like 1
  • Haha 10