Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

On 6/19/2019 at 7:12 PM, Sanguine_Dragon said:

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

As for my interests, I'm a gamer. Mostly video/computer games (just right now getting back into Tabletop gaming). I also write, collect international recipes, and am currently getting ready to start school for my Bachelor's. Flamehawke is currently teaching me the awesome art that is mini painting, but I'm still a bit nervous giving it a go due to shaky hands. 

Welcome to the forums! I am an absolute rubbish cook. But I sometimes tune in to my PBS cooking channel in hope that I might learn things. There are a lot of different cooking shows on PBS 3 (aka createTV)

One of them is a guy named Nick who does Italian recipes. Any interest in a downloadable eCookbook? Not sure how many recipes it is. 

25 year anniversary it says?

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Thanks everyone! The well wishes are appreciated.  On an unrelated note, does anyone know where to get a clamp for holding minis while you cut? Asking for a friend. 

Loews.  Menards.  FleetFarm.  The HomeDepot.  HarborFreight Tools. 

885911577908lg.jpg

This way little ^ Mouse Hands* ^ are not downrange where the knife is working. 

Trick 1) wrap the ends of the jaws by winding several layers of painters tape around them. (Purpose: avoids marring the part.)

Trick 2) wrap a gang of rubber bands around the handles. (Purpose: makes the pliers behave like a clamp; continues to hold the part even if you let go.)

Edited by TGP
*paws? mouses have paws?
  • Like 12

3 hours ago, Zink said:

That backs up what I read last night. Electrical work isn't my strong point but I do know enough to not hurt myself and generally not cause fires. I'm running a 12 volt battery charger at 2 amps through a 12v DC variable switch. When the first one burnt out I thought I might have accidentally switched to 10 amps and it wasn't rated that high. The second one was a 20 amp switch and it lasted longer. On one site I read advice stating that the way the charger works can damage switches even if the rated numbers work and you need to stick an electrolytic capacitor into the line before the switch. The other option mentioned was to use a 120v AC dimmer switch in the line before the battery charger.  I can get the 120v switch locally but if I want to try the 12v DC switch again I need to mail order it and the capacitor. Haven't decided which way to go yet but leaning towards the DC switch and capacitor. That way the temp control is right at the cutter instead of a couple steps away near the outlet.

I also tried splicing a pigtail with a 100 watt bulb in it into the line. Doesn't give me the variability I want/need but I was hoping it would be close to the temp I need to finish the little project I started. It worked but was too cold and barely cut through 1/2" xps. Was considering trying a lower watt bulb but didn't because I'd need to buy more parts to connect it all safely before doing any real work. Having bare twisted together wires and a hot bulb sitting on the workbench was ok for a less than a half minute test but not for doing any amount of work. 

Sounds like you are on the right track.

The safe way to do the incandescent bulb is to rig a surface mount incandescent socket to a suitable piece of plywood.  That way you can make safe electrical connections and have the ability to change the bulb wattage to get the needed amount of current limiting.  The electrolytic cap. across the switch legs is also a very good idea.

You also might want to consider using a model railroad type of power supply instead of a bettery charger.  Most modern battery chargers have regulator circuitry that senses the level of charge of a connected battery and will regulate the output current depending on the state of charge of the battery.  Your battery charger is probably seeing your foam cutter as a discharged battery and outputting maximum current to get the "battery" up to the charge voltage that it starts cutting back the current flow, something that will never happen with the foam cutter being the load instead of a battery.

Good Luck with the project.

GEM

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Erifnogard said:

Personally, if I were the DM I would have made the Ranger roll to dodge the sword coming at them blade first instead.

The Weds players had a moment like this in the fog during combat. It started with the cleric rolling a fumble on a guiding bolt spell. I had him roll a d20 again he ended up hitting the fighter in close combat with the critter. Other then 4d6 damage, the fighter was outlined in a radiant glow till someone hit him. 40 yards away was a couple other players, one being a sorcerer. I told him you see a glowing outline in the fog.  (Visibility was 30 feet) so he blasted it with a ray of frost at advantage! The fighter was having a rough round.:lol:

• Haha 13

6 hours ago, TripleH said:

According to the DM, ........yes.

Bah! 

6 hours ago, Erifnogard said:

Personally, if I were the DM I would have made the Ranger roll to dodge the sword coming at them blade first instead.

This! 

Additionally: I'm getting sick of having to double check everyone else's work here, when I barely have time to complete my own. And then I get held accountable for their idiot mistakes. 

I'm at the point where I'd really just like to walk out and let these idiots deal with the crap show they've made for themselves.

• Like 7
  • Sad 7

7 hours ago, TripleH said:

According to the DM, ........yes.

That's a dumb ruling. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Zink said:

So you're saying that in your group's world magic weapons are made to dollar store toy quality? 

Now I'm picturing a D&D setting where permanently enchanting something causes it to degrade over time.  The better the enchantment, the sooner you have a lovely pile of enchanted dust and rust.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Crowley said:

You broke a magic sword with a simple fumble???

That's what I was wondering, too.

7 hours ago, Erifnogard said:

That seems more reasonable.

7 hours ago, TripleH said:

We use Pathfinder Crit Hit & Crit Fumble cards. The weapon only received the broken condition which allows it to be repairable by someone who has the necessary feats and the mend spell.

That's all well and good, but I think your DM needs to back away from the rules and charts a little bit and realize that the game is supposed to be FUN. A (presumably) metal weapon that breaks 'cause it falls on the ground is, to quote Crowley, dumb. I know it's a fantasy game, but a little bit of realism and common sense needs to applied, too.

This is one of those situations that could have been pretty cool and cinematic; the heroes are fighting a foe that has the better of them, the wizard finds a magic sword that will help to defeat the creature, yells 'hey Steve, catch!', the warrior catches the sword from midair, The Eye of the Tiger starts playing, and the monster is slain.

But the sword never gets to Steve. (That pesky '1') Instead, it falls short, or is overthrown, or Steve (because he's in melee combat, and things are often confusing in that situation) mistakes it as an attack, and parries it away from himself.

Any of those would have explained the '1' result, but still left the sword recoverable and (IMHO) made for a more fun time.

Anyhow, that's just my 2 cents.

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Additionally: I'm getting sick of having to double check everyone else's work here, when I barely have time to complete my own. And then I get held accountable for their idiot mistakes. 

I'm at the point where I'd really just like to walk out and let these idiots deal with the crap show they've made for themselves.

Sounds like time to update your resume.

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Sounds like time to update your resume.

We're moving to Wyoming at the end of August. I just have to make it that long. 

If I didn't have a baby I probably would have walked out tonight.

• Like 19

We got away for the weekend [our 35th Anniversary] and had just gotten into our room in Nashville when severe thunderstorms and a tornado were getting feisty here. Evidently we were just ahead of this line of severe storms as we found out that we had the same severe storms roll through home. Hopefully no damage, but kind of worried about the furniture on the deck.

• Sad 12

4 minutes ago, Corsair said:

We got away for the weekend [our 35th Anniversary] and had just gotten into our room in Nashville when severe thunderstorms and a tornado were getting feisty here. Evidently we were just ahead of this line of severe storms as we found out that we had the same severe storms roll through home. Hopefully no damage, but kind of worried about the furniture on the deck.

I hope it won't be too bad.

And I hope you will be able to enjoy your weekend!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Glitterwolf said:

I hope it won't be too bad.

And I hope you will be able to enjoy your weekend!

Thanks buddy! I am gonna spoil Andra this weekend, she is a very special lady and deserves it!

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Thanks buddy! I am gonna spoil Andra this weekend, she is a very special lady and deserves it!

You do that!

Have fun, if goods get damaged that's sad, but being together and well is much more important!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Congratulations on your anniversary, may you have many more.  I sympathize about the rain, we got away on vacation last week and It was apparently very wet at home.

I like a good storm as much as the next person but I could use a little sunshine.  (Someone pass me the brain... my area is moist!)

• Like 7
  • Haha 1