Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

We're moving to Wyoming at the end of August. I just have to make it that long. 

If I didn't have a baby I probably would have walked out tonight.

Anywhere near Cheyenne? If so, we'd love to have you down in Denver for painting on third Saturdays.

(Cheyenne to Denver is about a 75-90 minute drive.)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Sounds like you are on the right track.

The safe way to do the incandescent bulb is to rig a surface mount incandescent socket to a suitable piece of plywood.  That way you can make safe electrical connections and have the ability to change the bulb wattage to get the needed amount of current limiting.  The electrolytic cap. across the switch legs is also a very good idea.

You also might want to consider using a model railroad type of power supply instead of a bettery charger.  Most modern battery chargers have regulator circuitry that senses the level of charge of a connected battery and will regulate the output current depending on the state of charge of the battery.  Your battery charger is probably seeing your foam cutter as a discharged battery and outputting maximum current to get the "battery" up to the charge voltage that it starts cutting back the current flow, something that will never happen with the foam cutter being the load instead of a battery.

Good Luck with the project.

GEM

I hadn't considered that aspect of the charger. I've tried phone chargers in the past but they were too weak. I tried a laptop charger that the cord near the laptop had broken. It was way over powered. My wire glowed like a light bulb for a second or two before it snapped. Didn't have the switch at that time. The car battery charger has given me the most consistent usable results even if not quite what I want. I'll check out train power supplies. 

4 hours ago, Erifnogard said:

Now I'm picturing a D&D setting where permanently enchanting something causes it to degrade over time.  The better the enchantment, the sooner you have a lovely pile of enchanted dust and rust.

That sounds like a cool idea. 

• Like 7

Things have been crazy in Flit land. First Mr Flit and I had nasty colds. Then Last Sunday night Mr Flit fell down a steep incline and apparently sprained his ankle pretty badly. He of course refused to go to the ER. I told him he had to go to the urgent clinic as soon as it opened. Then he decided the ankle was a bit better. So he insisted we follow our Father’s Day plans with my family. We did have a good time and good food tho. 

Monday I went to the doctor for my cold that wasn’t getting better. I got some prescriptions for it and I am almost over my cold. 

Mr Flit decided he needed to get lunch before going to the urgent clinic to get his ankle checked out. He wound up getting a bunch of X-rays and found out that he broke his fibula. He got sent to an orthopedic clinic for more X-rays to confirm the break. No he is in a boot and on crutches. He goes back agin in a few days to see if the break is healing well. 

• Sad 11

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Sounds like time to update your resume.

We're moving to Wyoming at the end of August.

Congratulations..!!

::):

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I just have to make it that long. 

If I didn't have a baby I probably would have walked out tonight.

:unsure: Are you saying they gave you the responsibility to check the work of others, but no extra money to do that, and no power to discipline them when they mess up? 

Ask for extra money, see what they say... <_<

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Had to look up what a fibula is. @Flit of course his ankle felt better! It was his leg that was broken. <_<

• Like 10

Morning, speed test, all. I hope Crowley got his, speed test, cup of coffee this morning and everyone else is doing, speed test, fine.

Ok i have been sitting on that one all night long. It seems, I have turned on the overwrite instead of insert on the editting. how the hells do I turn that off??

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

7 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

Morning, speed test, all. I hope Crowley got his, speed test, cup of coffee this morning and everyone else is doing, speed test, fine.

Ok i have been sitting on that one all night long. It seems, I have turned on the overwrite instead of insert on the editting. how the hells do I turn that off??

I confess to being clueless about the original joke  :huh:...completely failed to understand...:unsure:  much less the automating of it. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

Did you hit the Ins button on your keyboard by accident? This has happened to me several times in the past. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TGP said:

I confess to being clueless about the original joke  :huh:...completely failed to understand...:unsure:  much less the automating of it. 

I usually assume anything I don't understand in the thread will be revealed in the fullness of time and space.  Or not.  Either way it's gauche to stare so I just smile, nod, and carry on with flugelforking the muons to generate proper gestalted herrings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

21 hours ago, kristof65 said:

So I'm trying to get more professional with the tutorial videos I create for my client.  The microphone I was using for my last series just isn't cutting it - getting too many pops when i say certain words, like "speed" and "test" 

Any recommendations for relatively inexpensive microphones that are better than my mediocre HP gaming headset? 

21 hours ago, Colonel Kane said:

I may try to to do good job, but I can see opportunities, speed test, to mess with people.

Somewhere along the line I decided to add speed test to every sentence.

10 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

Did you hit the Ins button on your keyboard by accident? This has happened to me several times in the past. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Who knows what I did, but it seems to have cleared itself up. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

Either way it's gauche ....

Better gauche than gouache. Gouache is opaque.

:B):

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Better gauche than gouache. Gouache is opaque.

:B):

Either way it seems you are describing me. Gouache gauche. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Erifnogard said:

Now I'm picturing a D&D setting where permanently enchanting something causes it to degrade over time.  The better the enchantment, the sooner you have a lovely pile of enchanted dust and rust.

Intersting concept.

I see this leading to a lotof piles of dust and rust lying around instead of actual useable goodies.

Of course if the enchanted dust/rust can be recovered and then used in the manufacture of new goodies that would make the local artificers, even without magical skills, very powerful people in the local community.  Give that dust/rust to a competent wizard and the possibilities are nearly endless.

GEM

5 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

That's what I was wondering, too.

That seems more reasonable.

That's all well and good, but I think your DM needs to back away from the rules and charts a little bit and realize that the game is supposed to be FUN. A (presumably) metal weapon that breaks 'cause it falls on the ground is, to quote Crowley, dumb. I know it's a fantasy game, but a little bit of realism and common sense needs to applied, too.

This is one of those situations that could have been pretty cool and cinematic; the heroes are fighting a foe that has the better of them, the wizard finds a magic sword that will help to defeat the creature, yells 'hey Steve, catch!', the warrior catches the sword from midair, The Eye of the Tiger starts playing, and the monster is slain.

But the sword never gets to Steve. (That pesky '1') Instead, it falls short, or is overthrown, or Steve (because he's in melee combat, and things are often confusing in that situation) mistakes it as an attack, and parries it away from himself.

Any of those would have explained the '1' result, but still left the sword recoverable and (IMHO) made for a more fun time.

Anyhow, that's just my 2 cents.

Sounds like time to update your resume.

I agree with this sentiment completely.  A DM who doesn't know when to put the books down and just wing it isn't doing it right, IMNSHO.  The books are there to provide a framework, the DM needs to provide judgement and their own special seasoning to the mix.  Otherwise the game becomes bland and predictable.  "The dice know" but sometimes the dice need to be used to advise the DM on a ~likely~ outcome, not an absolute to be slavishly adhered to.  

It sounds like the individual responsible for this ruling needs a large imagination transplant, with a soupcon of whimsey thrown in for good measure.

GEM

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

We got away for the weekend [our 35th Anniversary] and had just gotten into our room in Nashville when severe thunderstorms and a tornado were getting feisty here. Evidently we were just ahead of this line of severe storms as we found out that we had the same severe storms roll through home. Hopefully no damage, but kind of worried about the furniture on the deck.

Congratulations!!

Time with loved ones, especially time such as this is more important than the patio furniture.

It's either going to be ther or not.

If it's there then no problems.

If not, then you will need to do somethng but you can't do anything about it from where you are so don't worry about it until you are home and able to assess the situation.

GEM

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

Does anyone use Inkscape? I am sure someone does. 

I have, though not often. Illustrator is one of my basic tools at work and I find Inkscape just enough different from Illustrator to be annoying.

• Like 4