Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

So many plans for this afternoon were killed by the three hour nap!

Course, it was raining, so maybe I couldn’t have done the outside plans anyway. But still... could have done something inside. Eh.

Cooking posole late because of that. Going to be a late dinner. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Colonel Kane said:

Does anyone use Inkscape? I am sure someone does. 

I have it on a machine currently. 

I used to have it on a Win7 laptop. 

5 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I have, though not often. Illustrator is one of my basic tools at work and I find Inkscape just enough different from Illustrator to be annoying.

This is ^ Doug being nice. 

I have found Inkscape to be non-intuitive and on that older laptop: Hinky. And it seems to lack tools for doing what I want, doing it now, doing it simply. 

This is ^ me being less nice. 

3 hours ago, Colonel Kane said:

Well I downloaded Inkscape, now I just have to figure it out, but first hot tub time, then work, so maybe tomorrow.....

I wouldn’t mind trying stuff. Experimenting along with you. Attempting to figure things out. I’d like to find out if it can be any use to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

34 minutes ago, Unruly said:

I hate doing this crap. I'm gonna need to take a THIRD trip to Lowes because the faucet feed lines that are right beside the faucets, with a sign that says "everything you need to install a faucet," are 1/2" to 1/4", and the faucet needs 1/2" to 1/2". The second time I had to go was because I grabbed the wrong length feed lines. I needed 20", but I grabbed 16" because I was like "I doubt that I need the 20s..." So that one is on me. This one is on me as well, but less so because they put stuff that doesn't fit in the display with a sign telling you it will...

<_< ...well good luck with it.  :ph34r:

As a wise man Griffin once said:

43 minutes ago, TGP said:

I know nothing about plumbing except to have the number of a good plumber stored on my phone.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 7

I have found the Holy Grail of PANTS. Pants with pockets! Pockets I can put things in! Pockets that I can fit my whole hand into, up past the wrist! POCKETS! And they're designed for people with HIPS.

... Eight pockets, to be precise. I need another pair of these pants.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

The label on my bottle of water assures me that it contains no uranium. Call me old fashioned but I feel that if you are selling me drinking water that the fact it contains no uranium should not need to be stated. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 5

8 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

The label on my bottle of water assures me that it contains no uranium. Call me old fashioned but I feel that if you are selling me drinking water that the fact it contains no uranium should not need to be stated. 

Municipal water in Los Angeles has trace amounts of selenium, arsenic, and uranium. It's just that those are native minerals to the area - well water is gonna have those minerals in it even after extensive filtering.

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, TGP said:

<_< ...well good luck with it.  :ph34r:

As a wise man Griffin once said:

I envy you for being able to afford a plumber. I've spent half a tank of gas and almost 4 hours on this crap.

Apparently I can't blame Lowes for the supply line issues. I can blame changing plumbing standards. If my house had modern plumbing, I'd be fine with the ones I had, as I learned when I got back down there and found the old man working the plumbing section to help me get the right thing this time. But because I have 70 year old plumbing, I had to buy completely different stuff. I guess I should be glad that my old copper pipes are still working, but it certainly makes doing work harder.

This time I'm certain I have what I need, because I brought the old one with me, talked to the wise old man, and made sure to compare everything before buying.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Sir Cyr has family in Sheridan. Nice town ^_^ Dunno where the hobby shops are though!

I know there's at least one. Well, it's like a hobby/thrift store. It was pretty neat. 

2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

The people who are elfing up will continue to do so as long as you are taking corrective action and not making an Offical Notice to your imediate supervisory staff every time it happens.  

Oh, trust me, I know. And no one cares, as long as it eventually gets fixed and they don't have to do the fixing. There's a reason one of my co-workers said "oh thank god you're back" to me when I got back from my too short maternity leave. 

I don't expect it, but it would be neat if I could work with some competent people after we move. 

Unrelated: peaches in oatmeal is pretty good, especially if you put a bit of nutmeg and vanilla in with the cinnamon and sugar.

• Like 12

58 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

I have found the Holy Grail of PANTS. Pants with pockets! Pockets I can put things in! Pockets that I can fit my whole hand into, up past the wrist! POCKETS! And they're designed for people with HIPS.

... Eight pockets, to be precise. I need another pair of these pants.

And where did you get these magical pants of holding? :ik_oops:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 6

There. It's done. Mostly. I should probably reseal the threads on the connection between the cold water line and the faucet supply line, because it drips a single drop after the water is running for like 30 seconds, but I've spent so much time on it already that I'm saying screw it. It's such a small leak, and it's a lot smaller than the one that I had before, that I really don't care right now.

I don't even care enough to fully clean up the mess I made with the old stuff. It's just sitting in a pile on my kitchen floor right now. I'm hungry. My back, neck, and hands hurt from being crammed under the sink fighting with frozen threads. I busted my knuckles a couple times, so I've even bled for it a bit. I'm going to make something to eat, watch TV, and maybe go to bed so I can fight with my not-mowed-in-a-month yard early in the morning. And then maybe a second time in the evening...

• Like 6
  • Sad 6

58 minutes ago, Unruly said:

I envy you for being able to afford a plumber. I've spent half a tank of gas and almost 4 hours on this crap.

Apparently I can't blame Lowes for the supply line issues. I can blame changing plumbing standards. If my house had modern plumbing, I'd be fine with the ones I had, as I learned when I got back down there and found the old man working the plumbing section to help me get the right thing this time. But because I have 70 year old plumbing, I had to buy completely different stuff. I guess I should be glad that my old copper pipes are still working, but it certainly makes doing work harder.

This time I'm certain I have what I need, because I brought the old one with me, talked to the wise old man, and made sure to compare everything before buying.

Be glad that you have copper pipes and not the black iron used for so many plumbing installations from the late 19th Century onward into the 80s.  Most of it is at the point {or past} where it all has to be ripped out and redone due to sclerotic pipes.  With copper you should be good to go for another 50 years or more without serious issues, unless of course it gets damaged by some external accident.

As for Lowe's, now you know why it is sometimes [often] called Loathes.  Be thankful you found somebody that actully knows pipes and the whole place isn't staffed exclusively with 18 year olds whose chief skill is being able to access the exact same information you can find on your own on their website.  At one time Lowes was great, and I applaud them for picking up a lot of Orchard Supply Hardware staff when they went BK. Most OSH had good knowledgeable hardware people and, as long s the beacounters leave well enough alone, they will be a valuable asset for Lowe's.

GEM

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Be glad that you have copper pipes and not the black iron used for so many plumbing installations from the late 19th Century onward into the 80s.  Most of it is at the point {or past} where it all has to be ripped out and redone due to sclerotic pipes.  With copper you should be good to go for another 50 years or more without serious issues, unless of course it gets damaged by some external accident.

I have a black iron sewage trunk line. Yea. I'm dreading the day I have to replace it. And it's coming. And it will bankrupt me, because they're gonna have to tear my whole house apart as they tear out all the concrete.

But when it's done? When it's done I'll actually be able to do a lot of other plumbing work to fix some rather sloppy, yet functional, patchwork repairs that were made before I owned the house in an attempt to "update" to modern materials without redoing anything other than the section that needed immediate work.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

I know there's at least one. Well, it's like a hobby/thrift store. It was pretty neat. 

Oh, trust me, I know. And no one cares, as long as it eventually gets fixed and they don't have to do the fixing. There's a reason one of my co-workers said "oh thank god you're back" to me when I got back from my too short maternity leave. 

I don't expect it, but it would be neat if I could work with some competent people after we move. 

Unrelated: peaches in oatmeal is pretty good, especially if you put a bit of nutmeg and vanilla in with the cinnamon and sugar.

Learn these words:

"That's not my job, nor do I get paid to fix the screwups of whoever is responsible for doing >fill in the blank<."

That and, update your resume.  I've learned the hard way that the only way to survive a sinking ship [business] is to abandon ship when opportunity presents itself.  Upper management will gladly throw you overboard when it will keep them affloat for even the smallest amount of time, without a second thought.  Even as it is evident to those outside of the business that it is foundering on the rocks of careless and outright mis-management.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
keyboard lockup
  • Like 7

Nice day today, lunch at an excellent BBQ place called Famous Dave's. Then we went and finally saw Avenger's End Game. Back to our place and relaxing now. Got the welcome news of no damage at home and my truck survived getting hit with debris last night with no damage. If we feel enthusiastic we might hit a big monthly flea market tomorrow. Bif IF there as just relaxing is sounding pretty good to both of us right now!

• Like 10

Star Trek logic - There's a ship adrift in space with obvious severe structural damage including massive hull breaches across multiple decks. Sensors show that the ship may rip itself apart at any minute. Let's send the first officer, second officer, and chief engineer over without space suits!

On a rescue mission against hostile forces? Send the captain, the chief medical officer, and the chief engineer directly into the enemy headquarters with no support!

What could go wrong?

With the way the officers of Starfleet throw themselves into danger without really ordering anyone else to do it, it must be nice to be an enlisted man. Well, at least from TNG onwards. Enlisted redshirts kind of got shafted hard in TOS. Maybe that's why things changed roughly a century later...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

My alchemist ran entirely out of viable weapons by the end of tonight's pathfinder game, and was forced to try and bull rush an evil priestess into fire. trusty fire, you never fail me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11