Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

24 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

The kids think it is odd that I talk to my dice.

Talking to your dice isn't odd. Having the dice answer is ... concerning.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Modern Naval Theory is to not go for the armour belt but to use a charge that will cause an air cavity large enough ~under~ the hull to cause the ship to break its back.  Such an event is unsurvivable in military terms, removing a major naval asset at lower cost in material and effort than attempting to go against the armor belt, which is the strongest part of the hull.

Such an attack imediately renders the ship out of commission and starts the process of breakup and sinking but generally allows for the majority of the crew to abandon ship in good order.  This further hampers the military effectiveness of the subject force because of the necessity to perform rescue operations in a timely manner, lest valuable experienced ratings [and of course the officers] are lost.

GEM

Do you suppose Modern Naval Theory more or less overlaps the same time frame as Modern Art  (1900 — 1960) and ended then?

Navies stopped building new ships with armored belts by about 1960 or 70. The last hurrah, of the last battleships, which were built with Armored Belts was in the 70s and 80s. (USN returned vintage ships built for WW2 to a few last years of service.)  

Contemporary Naval Theory is different? has advanced further? Kevlar is involved? intercepting torpedos is a thing?  

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, TGP said:

Do you suppose Modern Naval Theory more or less overlaps the same time frame as Modern Art  (1900 — 1960) and ended then?

Navies stopped building new ships with armored belts by about 1960 or 70. The last hurrah, of the last battleships, which were built with Armored Belts was in the 70s and 80s. (USN returned vintage ships built for WW2 to a few last years of service.)  

Contemporary Naval Theory is different? has advanced further? Kevlar is involved? intercepting torpedos is a thing?  

Yes.  Yes. Probably. Yes.

The modern Naval Theory involves looking at the structure of warships, identifying their strongest and weakest areas and taking advantage of same.  By looking at the construction and analysing where and how it is weakest and combining that analysis with advanced weapons maneuverability  it's basically working to remove a part of the supporting structure, the water, leaving a bridge structure incapable of supporting the weight load so the keel breaks and the ship basically folds up in the middle.

The realization of this inherent vulnerbility rendered the armor belt superfluous and just so much extra dead weight to be pushed through the water.   By reducing the amount of armor extra speed is capable from the same size engines and the ship can also carry more in the way of offensive and defensive weaponry, hopefully to include countermeasures for the sort of underwater missiles capable of the requisite maneuvering and payload capacity to blow a hole in the water big enough for the ship to fall into.

I know this is old stuff for those who are familiar with naval combat, either full size or simulations but there are a lot of people here who have never had reason to think about this sort of thing.

GEM

• Like 7

On 6/22/2019 at 1:35 PM, Cyradis said:

Sir Cyr has family in Sheridan. Nice town ^_^ Dunno where the hobby shops are though!

I think I may have family in Sheridan, too - I'll have to ask my mom - I seem to have cousins from her side of the family all over Wyoming. 

13 hours ago, Crowley said:

Do you wonder if there just stopped being enough people signing up for the red shirt jobs, and automation of the ships was so effective that they just didn't have red shirts to send anymore? 

I love this idea!

Had a fun moment with the kids 5e D&D game today.  Party followed a cultist back to the cult's hideout, where they found he had died from the one arrow they managed to hit him with.  In delving into the cult's lair, they ran across a simple water filled pit trap - easy enough to spot and jump across, where the first two to do so landed on the pressure plate that triggered a half dozen crossbow bolts.  Party's gnome archer, Sage took the brunt of the damage, while Veng, the hobgoblin sorcerer escaped injury. 

In order to get the rest of the safely party across, they came up with the plan of throwing something heavy enough to hold the pressure plate down before Sage and Veng get off it. Looking around, the only thing they could find was the dead cultist. So the fighter Riolynn tosses the body over, and it lands on the  pressure plate, where Sage and Veng try to grab it.  Veng fails his DEX throw, but the tiny gnome Sage does. I have Sage roll a STR check to see if he can hold onto the body, or if it slips into the pit.   He makes it, but just barely, so Veng rolls another DEX check to grab Sage and help.  Veng rolls a 1, so I tell him he tries to grab Sage, but accidentally pushes Sage towards the pit. 

Sage makes a DEX save to avoid being pushed in. A 19, combined with his high DEX easily beats the DC20 I put on the check.    OK, he avoids falling in, but I tell him he needs to let go of the body or be pulled in.  Sage's player, my son, asks me if he can make one last strength check to hold onto the body.  Sure, why not, I tell him. But it's at a disadvantage. Natural 20 is the first roll. He gets excited, but I remind him it's at disadvantage, he needs to roll again.  Natural 20.  

At that point, I let him pull the body up on the trigger plate, and let the rest of the party get across without incident. 

Glad I let them have that moment, because they barely survived the later fight with the cultists and their snake "god" (Yuan-Ti Night Speaker) - only Sage was still standing for that.  The fighter was rolling like crap the rest of the day. 

• Like 11

25 minutes ago, kristof65 said:
On 6/22/2019 at 1:35 PM, Cyradis said:

Sir Cyr has family in Sheridan. Nice town ^_^ Dunno where the hobby shops are though!

I think I may have family in Sheridan, too - I'll have to ask my mom - I seem to have cousins from her side of the family all over Wyoming. 

mayhap we're related... There's not *that* many people in Wyoming, after all :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Talking to your dice isn't odd. Having the dice answer is ... concerning.

When a dice rolls up like...tumblr_pal7jxdt481x9mg2ho1_1280.jpg ... ^ that after being talked to. It seems like backtalk to me. But...

I have not ever gone to the lengths of subjecting a badly behaving D20 to a circle of shame

Edited by TGP
But I won’t speak ill of those who do.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 12
  • Confused 1

I'm part-way through putting together my new shed. The house didn't have one, so I bought one to install. Spent the last few weeks dealing with the floor (laid some concrete, but wasn't too happy with it, so I got some pavers and mortared them on. Much happier now). Spent most of the weekend putting the shed itself together in the cold wind. The four walls are (almost) together, just need to add the roof and bracing and then fix it to the floor...

• Like 9

Is there a TwitterBot that creates random dungeon rooms? (For RPGs !)

Edited by TGP
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Sibling said:

@sumbloke that’s some dedication the weather was awful!

Yeah, I was wearing a puffy jacket inside another puffy jacket and still feeling cold. Once the light started fading I decided I'd just get it to a state where it wouldn't fall apart overnight/during the week...

• Like 6

*drags himself in* 12-ish hours of driving in 2 days took more of a toll than I expected. Was worth it, though.

On 6/22/2019 at 3:40 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

Last night Megan ran one of the best games I have ever been a part of.

Dark, with a twist, and the kind of twist that leaves you going 'why didn't I see that!' - right there in front of you, all along.

The undying court of the elves in Eberron has had a canker worm coiled near their heart since the beginning. The founder of Saretheil's line. (Saretheil is Julies elf necromancer.)

Everyone knew that Julie's character had killed the founder of her own line, a few knew why - and she was driven into exile.(Everyone being pretty much everyone except the party.... <_<)

After she told the elves about the King of Karrnath being a vampire, they decided to... collect her, try and possibly execute her to help create stability and unity among the elves. Even though she had already been tried and sentenced to exile.

The Undying Court is a bit like mummies in first edition - undead that feed off of the Positive Negative Plane rather than the Negative.

Sare - founder of her line, was a devotee of The Dragon Below, and had plans to bring the elves closer to a dark turn in the Draconic Prophecies - and in the mess following her descendant finding out, Sare was very publicly destroyed, turning to dust.

Which would be the end of it, for an Undying One, or a mummy for that matter.

But it turns out that Sare was neither of those - and liches come back.

Only one combat last night, and it was pretty fast - Sare is not without agents.

The Auld Grump

From Sare to Saretheil..............for some reason, I feel like each successive generation just added a letter to the name each time. :lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Played one more game of Dungeon with the kidlets and the grandsons winning streak was broken [but just barely, I was only a couple of squares ahead of him getting back to the Great Hall with enough treasure for the win], to the joy and delight of his twin sister.

GEM

• Like 7

Well, I assembled the slightly broken futon I acquired after making some haphazard repairs to it. The broken piece will definitely need replaced when I have the time. When I sat down on it I could hear it trying to break the repairs. But all I did was glue the split board and then put a few decking screws through it from both sides to hold it together. I didn't even reinforce it with additional lumber. It's functional, but not good. My cats have claimed it, though, so it must be acceptable.

When I do replace that piece, I'm going to try to also raise the futon a few more inches off the ground. Then I can use it as part of the seating for my game table. Which will cut down on expenses for folding chairs. If I ever get a full set of woodworking tools I might even just completely rebuild the frame. But at a bare minimum it will require a good doweling jig and a router.

The current frame is assembled with pocket holes, which I don't have the best opinion of, though they are both quick and easy to do. A decent pocket hole jig costs more than a decent self-centering doweling jig, but dowels are much stronger for a bit of extra time and work. So if I'm going to rebuild it, I'm going to have the technology. I'm going to rebuild it stronger, better, taller than it was before!

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:
34 minutes ago, Unruly said:

I'm going to rebuild it stronger, better, taller than it was before!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-G0SVEQW8A

Huh. I thought the link was going to be this, and was surprised when it wasn't:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GDpmVUEjagg

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4