Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

Well, I assembled the slightly broken futon I acquired after making some haphazard repairs to it. The broken piece will definitely need replaced when I have the time. When I sat down on it I could hear it trying to break the repairs. But all I did was glue the split board and then put a few decking screws through it from both sides to hold it together. I didn't even reinforce it with additional lumber. It's functional, but not good. My cats have claimed it, though, so it must be acceptable.

When I do replace that piece, I'm going to try to also raise the futon a few more inches off the ground. Then I can use it as part of the seating for my game table. Which will cut down on expenses for folding chairs. If I ever get a full set of woodworking tools I might even just completely rebuild the frame. But at a bare minimum it will require a good doweling jig and a router.

The current frame is assembled with pocket holes, which I don't have the best opinion of, though they are both quick and easy to do. A decent pocket hole jig costs more than a decent self-centering doweling jig, but dowels are much stronger for a bit of extra time and work. So if I'm going to rebuild it, I'm going to have the technology. I'm going to rebuild it stronger, better, taller than it was before!

You cangain a considerable amount of additional strength to the repaired area by laying down a thin layer of carpenters glue then wrapping stout twine tightly around the repair.  Allow about 6 inches minimum beyond the area of the break on each side.  When you have finished wrapping the twine brush on a couple of coaats of the same glue thinned just enough that you cn use a disposabl brush or rag to completely coat the twine.  This works to further reinforce the twine fibres.  If you do this yu may be surprised at the amount of extra stiffening this will afford.

GEM

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Our D&D wizard is going on a trip after next session, so he'll miss two sessions from now. He's benching his main character next time so that the upcoming dungeon (predicted 2-3 sessions) can have a temp in there who isn't essential, and has an excuse to run away. He decided that this temp character is a fairy Petal (Tiny flower fey).... effectively a rainbow blasting magical girl flower fairy. He's willing to hit the dollar store to get wings for proper RPing as a magical girl. I'm trying to speed paint one of the Thunderbolt Mountain fairy ballerina shooters "with as much hot pink and green as I can". Bwahahahahaha.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

I bet the bars run the other direction on the one @Unruly has acquired. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, TGP said:

I bet the bars run the other direction on the one @Unruly has acquired. 

Nope. Mine is like a cheap version of that. Wood for the structural frame, mild steel rectangular tube for the mattress frame.

The part that's broken is the front piece between the legs. It's got a split in the middle from where someone that was too heavy sat down too fast right in the center of it. It broke halfway through against the grain and sent a split with the grain for about a foot in both directions. I was hopeful that a few decking screws and some wood glue would work well enough, since it was stuff I had at the house already. But I guess spending $5-10 on a 2x4, a couple bolts, and some threaded inserts isn't terrible. The worst part of the job will be drilling the holes to match the existing holes in the legs. And that's easy enough. 

• Like 8

A procession of robed and hooded wolves moves slowly through the thread.

Chanting in an unknown language the procession moves forward.

The leader holds an object close to his chest, the object is covered , nobody can see what it is yet.

Reaching the thread's plaza the procession stops.

They form a circle around the leader, the chanting intensifies.

The leader shoves back his hood, revealing a multicoloured wolf, he reveals the object and holds it high in the air.

All wolves start howling at the sight of the divine object.

The object:

Spoiler

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor bacon mountain

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Who knew today was Baconmas?!??

• Haha 9

*stumbles past pile of bacon... Pauses, goes back, stuffs a paw full into each cheek pouch, continues on toward the coffee...*

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

I do not know who in the universe, that thought I needed to be up by 6 every morning for like the last week, but I wish they would quit. I would like more sleep. Guess I need to make more coffee.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Huh. I thought the link was going to be this, and was surprised when it wasn't:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GDpmVUEjagg

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

A) That's because you're very young. ::D:

B) If I were going to reference that song, it would be with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MteSlpxCpo

Which is a cover, but I like it better than the original. (Though I don't think I've heard the original until now -- because I am not very young. :B):)

ETA:

C) Here's the full intro, since just the sound effect doesn't make much sense if you didn't grow up watching The Six Million Dollar Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoLs0V8T5AA

The apposite bit is right at the end.

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

Oh Great Beans, bless us with your nurturing nectar, so that we may conquer the world in your name.

For a moment I read "Murdering Nectar"  I think I will pour myself an espresso now, clearly I need more energy.

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

8 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

For a moment I read "Murdering Nectar"  I think I will pour myself an espresso now, clearly I need more energy.

Well you did bring us bacon.... Even the cats.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6