Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

3 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I think those are inevitable.

Grump has a scar like that.

Jon has a scar like that.

Julie has a scar like that.

Chris is ambidextrous and has TWO scars like that.

I don't, but I know I will.

I've cut myself like that 2 times, but I cannot find any scars due to the magic of superglue. Also, I heal quickly.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Unruly said:

The original is currently old enough to vote. I first heard it over half my lifetime ago, which makes me feel old. It doesn't make me feel very young...

The older you get, the older "young" gets. ::D:

And "old" is always about 20 years older than you are at the time. (If I make it to 90, I might lower that to 10 years.)

Slightly more seriously, I mostly stopped listening to new music sometime between when I was 25 and 30. (From what I've seen, this is very common.) Only recently have I started actively seeking out different music.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TGP said:

:blink:  :rock:  :huh:

I (along with many other people I'm sure) am utterly baffled about how this could have happened. I mean, every flight I've been on, the attendants always make multiple passes through the cabin after, picking up trash and checking for left items, etc. The poor lady, I'm glad she was okay. 

6 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

A) That's because you're very young. ::D:

B) If I were going to reference that song, it would be with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MteSlpxCpo

Which is a cover, but I like it better than the original. (Though I don't think I've heard the original until now -- because I am not very young. :B):)

ETA:

C) Here's the full intro, since just the sound effect doesn't make much sense if you didn't grow up watching The Six Million Dollar Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoLs0V8T5AA

The apposite bit is right at the end.

A) Why thank you, Doug, you flatter me :lol:

B) Mmm yeah, that's my favorite version too. It's just so gooooood :wub: I'm a fan of both versions though. 

C) I'd heard of it, and the bit at the end was familiar, but I've never actually watched it. 

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

True story. It's still utterly bizarre to me that the most recent high school graduates were only just being born when I was still in high school. :blink:

Related: I'd been idly curious lately about which generation I "officially" belong to, and finally decided to look it up. The results were actually quite interesting, and not as straightforward as I'd expected. By pretty much every year reckoning, I'm a very early Millennial, but I don't feel like I fit with that group. I'm certainly too young to be a Gen X, but I have a lot in common with them.

After a fascinating roam through several articles and a couple of videos, it would appear I'm part of a "micro generation" (known variably as Xennials, Generation Catalano, or my personal favorite, the Oregon Trail Generation). It's a sort of in-between transition period, characterized by, as one article put it, "an analog childhood and digital adulthood." Rather than being introduced to computers as an adult like Gen X, or being used to them always being around like Millennials, myself and others born between about 1977-1985 grew up alongside computers and the internet and social media and cell phones, etc. I have very distinct memories of DOS and dial-up, didn't start really using computers for schoolwork until high school, and got my first cell phone when I started college.

To be honest, I'm still in awe at the fact that I can have real-time video chats with people all over the planet (and paint with them!), find information about pretty darn near anything on the internet (some of which is actually true), go shopping without having to change out of my pj's (though I do that in real life sometimes too), and carry around a small computer in my pocket with over 1,000 times more processing power than the computer that landed Apollo 11 on the moon (which I mostly use to play mobile games and watch cat videos :lol:). 

Yeah there's a lot out in the world that's awful, but man, it's a pretty great time to be alive too. ^_^

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

True story. It's still utterly bizarre to me that the most recent high school graduates were only just being born when I was still in high school. :blink:

I remember thinking as a boy how, way in the future, in the mythical year 2000, I would turn forty. Which everyone knew was very old indeed. ::P:

Now I look back and realize that people in High School when I was born had been born during WWII. And one of my grandfathers was born in 1899 (and had been in the Army during WWI).

The perception of time is strange, indeed.

• Like 11

And "old" is always about 20 years older than you are at the time. (If I make it to 90, I might lower that to 10 years.)

Slightly more seriously, I mostly stopped listening to new music sometime between when I was 25 and 30. (From what I've seen, this is very common.) Only recently have I started actively seeking out different music.

I've made a very deliberate effort to regularly find new music to listen to, which has made listening to old favorites kind of wonderful, since its been a while since I've heard them. 

And yay Xennialls/Oregon trail generation!

• Like 9

My search for D&D theme music has caused my Spotify recommended lists to get rather erm... different. I needed playlists for certain events, and then general Players Advantage, DM Gunna Kick Your Butt, Foreshadowing, Good Things In Town, and Exploring.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

In additional happiness, my stress levels from this morning are down to about a quarter of what they were. Found a super simple solution and things have only looked up from there. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Unruly said:

I just got a raise! A whopping $1.65/hr at that! And that's just a departmental raise! I get a 2.5% cost of living adjustment next Monday. With my shift differentials I will be making over $20/hr next month!

I am a very, very happy man today.

H*ck yeah!! :bday: congrats!!

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

*drags himself in* 12-ish hours of driving in 2 days took more of a toll than I expected. Was worth it, though.

From Sare to Saretheil..............for some reason, I feel like each successive generation just added a letter to the name each time. :lol:

I am pretty sure that Sare is the root - with other syllables modifying whatever Sare means. (But that could just be long ago etymology lessons adding meaning where none was intended. - though Sare is an archaic English word for rotten wood. Looking for Theil brings up archaic German for 'part' - prettyy sure Megan is more likely to be familiar with the German than the English. Or, hey, it just sounded Elven.)

The Auld Grump

6 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I think those are inevitable.

Grump has a scar like that.

Jon has a scar like that.

Julie has a scar like that.

Chris is ambidextrous and has TWO scars like that.

I don't, but I know I will.

Sad thing - Chris got the second scar while working on miniatures before the first wound had healed....

The Auld Grump - both while working on minis at the local hobby store.

The Auld Grump

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

A procession of robed and hooded wolves moves slowly through the thread.

Chanting in an unknown language the procession moves forward.

The leader holds an object close to his chest, the object is covered , nobody can see what it is yet.

Reaching the thread's plaza the procession stops.

They form a circle around the leader, the chanting intensifies.

The leader shoves back his hood, revealing a multicoloured wolf, he reveals the object and holds it high in the air.

All wolves start howling at the sight of the divine object.

The object:

Hide contents

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor bacon mountain

Comes stumbling in and does a face plant into bacon.

Imediately falls asleep.

GEM

• Like 4
  • Haha 5