Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Oh come on! You know that package of mine heading to Colorado? It’s path is now Wisconsin to Virginia to Phoenix! Really?! Arizona?!

I feel like they’re playing Keep Away at this point just to torment me. 

• Haha 9
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, OneBoot said:

:blink:  :rock:  :huh:

I (along with many other people I'm sure) am utterly baffled about how this could have happened. I mean, every flight I've been on, the attendants always make multiple passes through the cabin after, picking up trash and checking for left items, etc. The poor lady, I'm glad she was okay. 

A) Why thank you, Doug, you flatter me :lol:

B) Mmm yeah, that's my favorite version too. It's just so gooooood :wub: I'm a fan of both versions though. 

C) I'd heard of it, and the bit at the end was familiar, but I've never actually watched it. 

True story. It's still utterly bizarre to me that the most recent high school graduates were only just being born when I was still in high school. :blink:

Related: I'd been idly curious lately about which generation I "officially" belong to, and finally decided to look it up. The results were actually quite interesting, and not as straightforward as I'd expected. By pretty much every year reckoning, I'm a very early Millennial, but I don't feel like I fit with that group. I'm certainly too young to be a Gen X, but I have a lot in common with them.

After a fascinating roam through several articles and a couple of videos, it would appear I'm part of a "micro generation" (known variably as Xennials, Generation Catalano, or my personal favorite, the Oregon Trail Generation). It's a sort of in-between transition period, characterized by, as one article put it, "an analog childhood and digital adulthood." Rather than being introduced to computers as an adult like Gen X, or being used to them always being around like Millennials, myself and others born between about 1977-1985 grew up alongside computers and the internet and social media and cell phones, etc. I have very distinct memories of DOS and dial-up, didn't start really using computers for schoolwork until high school, and got my first cell phone when I started college.

To be honest, I'm still in awe at the fact that I can have real-time video chats with people all over the planet (and paint with them!), find information about pretty darn near anything on the internet (some of which is actually true), go shopping without having to change out of my pj's (though I do that in real life sometimes too), and carry around a small computer in my pocket with over 1,000 times more processing power than the computer that landed Apollo 11 on the moon (which I mostly use to play mobile games and watch cat videos :lol:). 

Yeah there's a lot out in the world that's awful, but man, it's a pretty great time to be alive too. ^_^

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Try seeing the world from the Grognards Perspective.  I not only grew up in an Analog World but a world where we read about the someday world of today and it was clearly SCIENCE FICTION, and a far distant future at that.  There was no D&D, that didn't come along until after I was an adult with not just adult responsibilities but military responsibilities.

D&D was just starting to catch on when I got out of the Navy and returned to college. 

"Computers" were main frames.  The students who needed to use them for their college work programmed them on Hollereth Cards and it wasn't unusual to see somebody wheeling a hand cart full of boxes full of carefully collated cards from the dorms to the Computer Lab.

The introductory level Fortran class that was a Core Requirement for all Business Majors required you to submit your "programs", which were a fat stack of hand coded Hollerith Cards to the lab, and you would get the output the next day on a sheaf of green tractor paper.  This for a program to basically tell the printer to print out the phrase "Hello", after listing in printout all of the instructions.

Cell phones were in the experimental idea phase, even pagers were in their infancy.  Everybody knew how to work a rotary dial phone because there were still a lot of them in use.  There were no Nintendo games, unless you meant the great big coin operated jobs found in the Student Union, and they were all black and white, many of them bing analog devices and the real high tech ones were somethng like Pong.  The pinball machines all operated on mechanical relays with real bells and the scoring was done on rotating wheels, not even nixie tube readouts.

Today is the world we read about in books, both the shining future we yearned for and the dark dystopia we were warned of.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
typo monster strikes again
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Here we go again..........

20190624_152813.thumb.jpg.9f849312f042a75336be44a8ae0c07a9.jpg

Oh, oh... looks like you have a case of chirpies.

There is no tweetment.

The Auld Grump

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

Hmmm... Tomathy has claimed the Bones 4 box as her own.

The problem is that it isn't empty, and I want one of those minis.

She hasn't drawn blood, but she is definitely in 'It's a trap!' mode.... (She grabbed and 'gnawed' on my hand. Not really gnawing, but sort of gentle chewing? Not enough to do damage.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

10 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Hmmm... Tomathy has claimed the Bones 4 box as her own.

The problem is that it isn't empty, and I want one of those minis.

She hasn't drawn blood, but she is definitely in 'It's a trap!' mode.... (She grabbed and 'gnawed' on my hand. Not really gnawing, but sort of gentle chewing? Not enough to do damage.)

The Auld Grump

She has not only claimed the box but all of its contents.

Looks like you may have to make succesful Charisma and Diplomacy checks before being allowed to rumage through the boxes contents.

GEM

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Looks like you may have to make succesful Charisma and Diplomacy checks before being allowed to rumage through the boxes contents.

GEM

He needs to cast Treats, the somatic component is shaking a box full of stuff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

48 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

GEM

See here is where it becomes apparent that our approach to certain kinds of conflict is ... fundamentally different.

Because I'd use Intimidation. And if that didn't work, a Grapple check followed by a Throw Improvised Weapon check.

• Haha 10

Good call, @Pezler the Polychromatic.

11 hours ago, TGP said:

Reclining your seat on airplanes is bad idea:

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/air-canada-passenger-dark-empty-plane-alone

I read that earlier; I have no idea how they could miss somebody like that.

Pretty crazy, actually.

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I've had that happen. Usually at target. One time the lady who was asking me stuff got pretty rude. Insisted that I tell her things I didn't know when I was clearly shopping myself. Then she said she'd tell my manager when I was equally rude back to her. I wished her good luck on that, considering I didn't work there. 

That happened to me about 2 weeks ago. My experience was more pleasant than that, though.  The other customer and I got a chuckle out of it.

3 hours ago, Unruly said:

I just got a raise! A whopping $1.65/hr at that! And that's just a departmental raise! I get a 2.5% cost of living adjustment next Monday. With my shift differentials I will be making over $20/hr next month!

I am a very, very happy man today.

Good for you, man!! :winkthumbs:

• Like 8

I got so distracted. Been watching Naruto and we could only find one with subtitles. So I have to actually read the anime

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

34 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

See here is where it becomes apparent that our approach to certain kinds of conflict is ... fundamentally different.

Because I'd use Intimidation. And if that didn't work, a Grapple check followed by a Throw Improvised Weapon check.

You sir have obviously never woken up with a cats bum in your face, while kittieh kneads your belly with claws extended and exudes a self satisfied purr that says "this is ::P: payback".  :poke:

GEM

55 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

He needs to cast Treats, the somatic component is shaking a box full of stuff.

Well Played.

GEM

• Like 8

3 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I am pretty sure that Sare is the root - with other syllables modifying whatever Sare means. (But that could just be long ago etymology lessons adding meaning where none was intended. - though Sare is an archaic English word for rotten wood. Looking for Theil brings up archaic German for 'part' - prettyy sure Megan is more likely to be familiar with the German than the English.

>>>>>>Or, hey, it just sounded Elven.)  <<<<<<

The Auld Grump

Sad thing - Chris got the second scar while working on miniatures before the first wound had healed....

The Auld Grump - both while working on minis at the local hobby store.

The Auld Grump

Based on these naming cnventions you may address me as:

His Monstrously Tentacular Lordship the Green Eyed Monster of the Pointy Ears.

-

or not.

-

On the accumulation of scars, mine started with the exacto #11, has moved through an assortment of hobby tools including razor saws, rapidly rotating model airplane propellers, various things that burn, a wood axe, power tools, and the pincale is the highspeed Chevy Pickup which includes RoadRash [parenthetically about which I am still mightily upset having accumulated over 200,00 miles on motorcycles without ~any~ road rash inducing incidents].

GEM

Kidlets are having a greeat time in the pool and don't want to get out.  I just told them that in that case, Nana and I will be eating [Chinese Takeout] and they get whatevers left over, which they say is fine with them.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
Added stuff
  • Like 9

58 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I love my cats, but I'm also one of those people that makes sure they have boundaries. Like they aren't allowed on my kitchen counters, because that's nasty. If I catch them in places they aren't supposed to be, they get the scoop and toss. And I'm not averse to kicking them off of things that I need, either.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Here we go again..........

20190624_152813.thumb.jpg.9f849312f042a75336be44a8ae0c07a9.jpg

Congratulations! How many are there? 

I can see three, but those wee things are really good at hunkering down to keep snug and warm in the nest. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Oh come on! You know that package of mine heading to Colorado? It’s path is now Wisconsin to Virginia to Phoenix! Really?! Arizona?!

I feel like they’re playing Keep Away at this point just to torment me. 

I might know why this one happened. There was a super-bad lightning storm that wandered past DFW airport Sunday evening. A bolt took out a TRACON center’s transmitters. (They said it’s a small, non-descript building just East of the airport.)

No TRACON; no flights entering its Zone Of Control. It’s Labeled ZFW on this map:

conusmap.gif

Flights that were in the air got diverted, all departures within ZFW got cancelled. It was a bit of a mess. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1