Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

@TheAuldGrump and @PaganMegan, I finally found the Mighty Empires files if you still need them. I have a zipped file that's supposed to have all of them from the games included. Didn't think it was going to take me over a week to dig them up. Between heavy rain and running all over the province I wasn't at the farm for more than a few minutes a couple times all week. 

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Unruly said:

I love my cats, but I'm also one of those people that makes sure they have boundaries. Like they aren't allowed on my kitchen counters, because that's nasty. If I catch them in places they aren't supposed to be, they get the scoop and toss. And I'm not averse to kicking them off of things that I need, either.

Decades ago we had an Orange Tabby that would not stay off the kitchen counters, no matter the level of discipline involved for flagrant infractions.  One afternoon I caught Kitty Tom on the counter and just kept on walking towards the back door, scooping the cat up on the way.  I opened the door and did an underhand toss, straight into the shallow end of the swimming pool that occupied most of the back yard.  Continuing out the door I rescued a now drenched cat from the steps of the pool.  Kitteh was dried off and suitably petted, while getting a talking to.  I never caught that cat on the kitchen counters again.

GEM

• Like 11
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Unruly said:

I just got a raise! A whopping $1.65/hr at that! And that's just a departmental raise! I get a 2.5% cost of living adjustment next Monday. With my shift differentials I will be making over $20/hr next month!

I am a very, very happy man today.

:wow: 

The unruly one is not unhappy? :ph34r:

Excellent! :winkthumbs:

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, TGP said:

Is that the first sign of the apocalypse? ::P:

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, Zink said:

Somehow I have this uneasy feeling that we are living in Apoolyptic Times.

What we are witnessing/participating in is the slow speed playback of a car crash only it is many elements of civilization that are being wrecked and flying off in little spinning bits.

We do live in "palarous times" my friends, so do what you can to preserve as much sanity and civility as possible [this place is great for doing that] and extend the effects wherever possible.

GEM

Who has maybe seen too much over too many years to maintan a less than pesimistic outlook.

And last out of the box came, - HOPE.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Somehow I have this uneasy feeling that we are living in Apoolyptic Times.

What we are witnessing/participating in is the slow speed playback of a car crash only it is many elements of civilization that are being wrecked and flying off in little spinning bits.

We do live in "palarous times" my friends, so do what you can to preserve as much sanity and civility as possible [this place is great for doing that] and extend the effects wherever possible.

GEM

Who has maybe seen too much over too many years to maintan a less than pesimistic outlook.

And last out of the box came, - HOPE.

I call myself an optimistic pessimist. Yeah, things are kind of bad but as a student of history I know it could be a lot worse. I honestly can't say whether things have gotten better or worse in my lifetime but they have definitely gotten different.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

See here is where it becomes apparent that our approach to certain kinds of conflict is ... fundamentally different.

Because I'd use Intimidation. And if that didn't work, a Grapple check followed by a Throw Improvised Weapon check.

Let me guess - you like dogs better? :poke:

On another note - just found a picture of an old Mighty Empires game in progress:
18334_104793966206706_8032132_n.jpg.2c14d7c4ba2d07f4af1f25464d63581a.jpg

Ran across this photo of my kids and the Halloween costumes we made for them a number of years back:

617235_508998652452900_1936442535_o.thumb.jpg.9ea13fb9ce722759d9ed7e2a86147daa.jpg

"I am General Ebon Drake, and this is my friend, the Gnome Wizard ZoZo. We are here for your candy. Do not resist."

I have decided that a future project is to recreate this photo using these minis:

Cassie, Gnome Wizard

Crimson Knight, Necropolis Grunt

• Like 17

45 minutes ago, TGP said:

Excellent! :winkthumbs:

34 minutes ago, Zink said:

Hey, I'm not always unhappy. Just most of the time. Because I live a life of sadness and hate. Every so often I get something good that makes me happy, and lately I've had a few things that have done it.

One of them was the reaction I got for the housewarming gift I sent my friends who moved to NY. I sent them a copy of the D&D Art and Arcana book, which is a collection of D&D art and little stories about it. The one is an artist, and the other is someone who's been playing D&D since the late 80's. Both are big nerds. I just got told by the artist that they've spent the last hour since she got home from work going through the book, with her talking about how cool the art is and him going on trips down memory lane over certain pieces.

It makes me happy to know that I got them a gift that both of them can enjoy for different reasons.

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:

Congratulations! How many are there? 

I can see three, but those wee things are really good at hunkering down to keep snug and warm in the nest. 

I counted 3 in the picture as well, I didn't want to disturb the nest too much to get a better count. It's possible that there might be one more hidden in there, but I can't be sure.

The odd thing about this is that half the juniper is dead because it's directly in the path of the laundry exhaust. And yet the sparrows decide to make a nest right there.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

I actually like both dogs and cats, and they seem to like me.

I've had both as pets, but I'm allergic to both as well.

• Like 4
  • Sad 8

The Juniper provides cover live or dried up. 

44 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

The odd thing about this is that half the juniper is dead because it's directly in the path of the laundry exhaust. And yet the sparrows decide to make a nest right there.

It is warm in that exhaust path. 

Warm half-dead Juniper >>> Cold Living Juniper. 

(If you like those little birds get caught up on your laundry. Frequent small loads.)

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I counted 3 in the picture as well, I didn't want to disturb the nest too much to get a better count. It's possible that there might be one more hidden in there, but I can't be sure.

Sparrows seem to have an uncanny fondness for laundry exhausts. I think they get high off the dryer lint. 

They also are masters of the "sad eyed begging" technique. Every time I look out the door, they peer back at me with the expression of "That stupid rabbit ate all our food again, please feed us!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 11
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:
1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

I actually like both dogs and cats, and they seem to like me.

I like dogs, cats, and horses. Of those three, some, but not all Cats trigger an allergic response. So I am forced to like cats a bit less. :mellow:

I could be allergic to a horse or two. My sample is only about 3.5 horses. 

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

He needs to cast Treats, the somatic component is shaking a box full of stuff.

This works on loved ones too.  Well, some.  Works wonders to get hubby to look up, doubly so if you're crinkling a bag of Doritos, or shaking a box of Mike & Ikes..... 

• Haha 9

On 6/23/2019 at 12:14 PM, Unruly said:

Star Trek logic - There's a ship adrift in space with obvious severe structural damage including massive hull breaches across multiple decks. Sensors show that the ship may rip itself apart at any minute. Let's send the first officer, second officer, and chief engineer over without space suits!

On a rescue mission against hostile forces? Send the captain, the chief medical officer, and the chief engineer directly into the enemy headquarters with no support!

What could go wrong?

With the way the officers of Starfleet throw themselves into danger without really ordering anyone else to do it, it must be nice to be an enlisted man. Well, at least from TNG onwards. Enlisted redshirts kind of got shafted hard in TOS. Maybe that's why things changed roughly a century later...

https://nerdist.com/article/star-trek-red-shirts-werent-statistically-the-most-likely-to-die-after-all/

• Like 2
  • Haha 10