Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

17 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Just got off the phone after talking with the latest South Asian scammer, this time it was "Jerry Watson" from "Paypal". (The auto responder said that my Paypal account had been logged into by somebody in Ohio with an IP address that ended in .849. ::P: For those not up on IP addresses, IPv4, which is what nearly all current IP addresses and definitely this IP address, consists of four two-character base-16 groups, which are usually represented in base-10. The upshot of that is that each group can only go up to 255.)

At any rate, we talked for a while as he tried to get me to log in to his remote-control website. It turns out that a 10-character URL can take more than 10 minutes to type in if the sound quality is poor (this was abysmal), the speaker has a thick accent (this guy would have been difficult to understand face to face) and the person receiving the information is ... willfully obtuse. :poke:

"Type 'J'"

"G..."

"No, J! J!"

"JJ"

"What do you have so far?"

"JOI"

"Now type just N"

"JOIJUSTN"

Continue ad nauseam.

While I was being a jerk to the thief (I have no regrets), I'm still not completely sure what website he actually wanted me to go to. After some research, I suspect it was join <.> zoho <.> in, which is an Indian support service. And I suspect that he wasn't using one of the regular American services, because they're pretty good about putting up "Don't feed the scammer" splash pages for connections from India (recently enhanced).

In the end, after going through the above twice or three times and never getting to the right page (shockingly), I told him I was bored and wasn't going to play any more scammer games with him. 

And while I was writing this, the same bozos called back. This time they decided to hand me from person to person, trying to find somebody who could communicate with this poor benighted would-be victim.

I think this time I actually wore them out. Maybe they won't call back again. Oh how shall I save my Paypal account? :B):

Doug, this is a serious scam, and you should take it seriously.

To make certain, PM me your user name and password, and I will investigate to make sure that no one (else) has compromised your account or credentials.

• Haha 11

1 minute ago, klarg1 said:

Doug, this is a serious scam, and you should take it seriously.

To make certain, PM me your user name and password, and I will investigate to make sure that no one (else) has compromised your account or credentials.

I wouldn't want to take a chance of sending it to the wrong person. Give me a call and you can give me the email address more securely.

:rolleyes:

• Haha 11

Note to self: "Pen Test" is not a suitable tag for a video about testing marker pens for lightfastness.

• Like 4
  • Haha 10
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Zink said:

One of my all time favourite Simpson's quotes is. "Don't worry, laddy. There's nary a beast alive that can outrun a greased scotsman." That's what your comment made me think of.

Make way for Willie!

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Humans...the Space Locusts..

I'm sure the intergalactic community will be thrilled the day we invent something like warp drive.

Assuming there is already a community - there is this solution to the Fermi Paradox to consider:
https://bigthink.com/scotty-hendricks/a-new-solution-to-the-fermi-paradox-were-going-to-kill-everybody-else

3 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Just realized they’re using goblin math! Makes so much more sense now!

It's the bureaucrats in charge of the engineers who are using goblin math. 

Bureaucrat: How long will it take us to get to Mars?
Engineer:  The formula for how long it will take us to develop this technology is complex - it depends a lot on the resources and funding you give us, plus our coordination with other research projects and their resources and funding. 
Bureaucrat: So 20? 

3 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Though there really isn't much advantage to Mars. Insolation is low, the gravity well is too deep for convenience yet not deep enough to retain a useful atmosphere, it's not close enough either to Earth or anything interesting (in distance or energy), and so far at least we haven't found anything much besides rock and dust. Heresy, I know, but there you go.

I've heard that there may be a better case for going to Venus.  Closer, plus pressurized habitats could be floated in the upper atmosphere would make it easier and thus cheaper, and we might even find things we can extract from the atmosphere to make it worth it. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Just realized they’re using goblin math! Makes so much more sense now!

And people said I don't have what it takes to be an arrowface emjineer.  

• Haha 11
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I've heard that there may be a better case for going to Venus.  Closer, plus pressurized habitats could be floated in the upper atmosphere would make it easier and thus cheaper, and we might even find things we can extract from the atmosphere to make it worth it. 

Nope, there's no good reason to go to Venus, either, if colonisation is the plan.  

Way too much solar radiation on the trip. I know the people thinking up these schemes are half-baked, but is there any reason to also end up half-cooked?

The moon may be a 'springboard' but only for a small station to maintain and control the processing factories there, which will produce stuff like silicon wafers for solar panels. Stuff that's way too expensive to lift from Earth.   

For what?

Building large orbitals in the Lagrange points.  

Cylindrical habitats many miles long.

Build a window at one end and pooint it towards the sun, then give it a gentle spin to simulate gravity. 

The mass can be found in the asteroid belt, or any number of 'Near Earth Objects', chemicals can be harvested on Mars or a suitable gas giant. 

(We need a large fleet of drones for the chemicals and materials.)

The current plans for Mars Colonisation are at best naive, at worst criminal.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Looking for fantasy anime recommendations. Enjoyed Record of Lodoss War and its associated remake and spin offs. Also liked Rune Soldier (which apparently is set in the same world as RoLE?). Enjoyed most of Slayers except when they repeated the same story line. Tried Full Metal Alchemist, didnt keep our interest. Any more like RoLW out there?

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, DocPiske said:

Looking for fantasy anime recommendations. Enjoyed Record of Lodoss War and its associated remake and spin offs. Also liked Rune Soldier (which apparently is set in the same world as RoLE?). Enjoyed most of Slayers except when they repeated the same story line. Tried Full Metal Alchemist, didnt keep our interest. Any more like RoLW out there?

Konosuba and Re: Zero.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

Note to self: "Pen Test" is not a suitable tag for a video about testing marker pens for lightfastness.

Did you find a giant nest of security consultants, or something worse?

• Like 5

Anybody that wants to run some gaming at ReaperCon, I suggest checking that section. They’ve posted the submission link.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I will never stop regretting that the teddy bear army came to my attention too late. And too poor. 

Also, I can't remember who made it now. I just want to take a gander at how many limbs I'd have to sell to get it.

They were made by Eureka Miniatures.

You might be able to find them still.

image.png.7a9d485da468ab5d499648d138850d3e.png

"From 15th March 2014, Eureka Miniatures no longer produces Mike Broadbent Designs 28mm Teddy Bear range."

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DocPiske said:

Which Full Metal Alchemist? The one simply titled "Full Metal Alchemist," or "Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood"? The first was made before the manga was finished, and follows a very different storyline. Brotherhood was made after the manga finished, and is a much more faithful adaptation. If you bounced off of one it may be worth trying the other, though if you bounced off of Brotherhood then maybe not.

I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard good things about Claymore. Another that I haven't seen but have heard good things about is Goblin Slayer. And there's also Berserk, especially the old one from the late 90's. But Berserk is hyper violent and not for everyone. Lots of blood and gore, among other things, in that one.

• Like 8