Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

2 hours ago, DocPiske said:

Looking for fantasy anime recommendations. Enjoyed Record of Lodoss War and its associated remake and spin offs. Also liked Rune Soldier (which apparently is set in the same world as RoLE?). Enjoyed most of Slayers except when they repeated the same story line. Tried Full Metal Alchemist, didnt keep our interest. Any more like RoLW out there?

I'll admit that it's been aaaaaaages since I last watched Lodoss. But here's a start for general fantasy:

I'll second that FMA and FMA:B are different enough that it's worth trying the one you didn't already try.

Avatar: the Last Airbender is one of the best fantasy anime series out there.

If you like Westerns and pseudo SciFi in your fantasy, check out Trigun. This is ultimately the heaviest thing on this list, but it starts out looking like a screwball comedy.

For less violence but a ton of character, Spice and Wolf is pretty great.

If you don't mind Issekai (contemporary protagonist in an alternate reality) flavor, Sword Art Online is objectively terrible but oh-so-much-fun. 

Also Issekai, I have enjoyed the couple episodes I've seen of I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. It's very much played for laughs.

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

They were made by Eureka Miniatures.

You might be able to find them still.

image.png.7a9d485da468ab5d499648d138850d3e.png

"From 15th March 2014, Eureka Miniatures no longer produces Mike Broadbent Designs 28mm Teddy Bear range."

Looks like those are produced by Slave2Gaming now, under their Battle of Teddysburg 18mm range.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DocPiske said:

Looking for fantasy anime recommendations. Enjoyed Record of Lodoss War and its associated remake and spin offs. Also liked Rune Soldier (which apparently is set in the same world as RoLE?). Enjoyed most of Slayers except when they repeated the same story line. Tried Full Metal Alchemist, didnt keep our interest. Any more like RoLW out there?

Scrapped Princess was a good one I haven't seen mentioned yet, although it does have giant robots in it.

• Like 6

Looks like teenage daughter made it to Japan and is having fun.  She sent me a picture of herself in front of what I assume is a convenience store.  (It was from her lunch break and there was both ice cream and coffee for sale.)

One more day in Tokyo before they move on.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Sanael said:

I'll admit that it's been aaaaaaages since I last watched Lodoss. But here's a start for general fantasy:

I'll second that FMA and FMA:B are different enough that it's worth trying the one you didn't already try.

If you like Westerns and pseudo SciFi in your fantasy, check out Trigun. This is ultimately the heaviest thing on this list, but it starts out looking like a screwball comedy.

For less violence but a ton of character, Spice and Wolf is pretty great.

If you don't mind Issekai (contemporary protagonist in an alternate reality) flavor, Sword Art Online is objectively terrible but oh-so-much-fun. 

Also Issekai, I have enjoyed the couple episodes I've seen of I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. It's very much played for laughs.

Considering that Record of Lodoss War was based on their D&D campaign, it's no wonder that it was so awesome. It's been a long time since I've seen it, and the video store at the time didn't have all the episodes so I only got to see patches of the storyline.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

That's what everyone else thought, but I know that smearing yourself with something greasy and making yourself shrieky and hard to hold onto is the #1 way to be way too much trouble to kill and/or eat.  You ever have a real slippery bar of soap continually slip your grasp?  Imagine that with four flailing limbs and screaming like a jet engine.    

Sounds like a lovely night at The Mudd Pit to me and from the sounds of it my girlfriends are both working.

• Like 5

Ok, so I am in the hot tub, enjoying a good soak, reading the forums, when I feel like someone is watching me. So I looks up and I see the attached photo.

IMG_20190626_145325273.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 19
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

Ok, so I am in the hot tub, enjoying a good soak, reading the forums, when I feel like someone is watching me. So I looks up and I see the attached photo.

IMG_20190626_145325273.jpg

... are you telling us that being judged by chickens is new to you? 

Or that you have a volunteer, seeing as how you didn't know you had chickens?

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

1 minute ago, Sylverthorne said:

... are you telling us that being judged by chickens is new to you? 

Or that you have a volunteer, seeing as how you didn't know you had chickens?

While being judged by chickens is not new to me, my youngest loves her chickens and show them at the local 4H fair, being judged in the hot tub is new to me. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

27 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Considering that Record of Lodoss War was based on their D&D campaign, it's no wonder that it was so awesome. It's been a long time since I've seen it, and the video store at the time didn't have all the episodes so I only got to see patches of the storyline.

Back in the 90s by best friend saw one episode of Record of Lodoss War on tv and wanted to see the rest. I found and bought a set of cassettes for him. He decided after watching them he didn't want to buy them and returned them to me. I liked the show but those things cost a lot at a time I didn't have much money (hmm that seems to be most of my life). Still have the tapes but my vcr died years ago. Want to watch it with the boys sometime and have found it on a site full of pop up ads.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Pingo said:

Note to self: "Pen Test" is not a suitable tag for a video about testing marker pens for lightfastness.

I once heard Patricia Briggs explain that it is not safe to Google 'Fairy Stick'. (She was looking for a faerie staff from folklore... that is not what she found. :unsure:)

Possibly the last business meeting for the Pagan Retreat tomorrow, figuring out if this will be the last year or not.

Looking good - in a bad sort of way. Keith is probably taking over payments, management, and eventual ownership of the campground, splitting payments between Mr. Haines - the former owner - and Dave & Lily, who had taken the campground over and were paying Mr. Haines for it. (Directly, not through a bank.)

The problem is that they have been skipping payments, and were already six payments behind.

If Lily is to believed, she didn't know - it came up because Dave & Lily are breaking up, because Dave is a manipulative *BEEP!*

Supposedly, Dave has been skipping payments without her knowledge. I swear, there are some people that should never be trusted with a business, or even a checking account.

Dave's excuse is that because he wasn't sure how the property was going to be split in the divorce, he didn't want to make any payments.... <_< The guy supposedly has an MBA... ... ... :huh:

The payments from the Retreat have been going to Dave, and Dave has not been putting any of it towards paying off the campsite.

So, six of the payments that would have been going to Dave & Lily will instead be going to Mr. Haines. Leaving twelve payments over two years to a jointly held account between Dave & Lily. alternating monthly with payments to Mr. Haines - with the first year going fully and directly to Mr. Haines. (Mr. Haines has been more than patient - I think he likes being involved with a pagan retreat. *EDIT* That, and he is retired - he just doesn't care that much about the money at this point. Eight months out of the year he lives in Florida.)

If the U/U folks do not take it over than D&L are in for some serious liability - the Retreat's paperwork is through an accounting firm, and up to date. If Mr. Haines was more litigious they would already be in trouble.

So very, very glad that they will no longer be involved with the Retreat - with any luck we can also get rid of our current CFO. (ME! I got volunteered because I brought Keith into this. If he had to suffer, I had to suffer.*)

One change between the old management and the U/U folks - somehow the late business meetings have turned into late potluck dinner/business meetings. (Still gathering at 9:30PM... and I still don't know why. I prefer to keep the mystery and being annoyed by it to finding out the reason and it being boring. ::P: )

So, things are looking good for the Retreat - less good for Dave & Lily, and probably a bit better for Mr. Haines than if we had left it in Dave's hands.

And guess who gets to crunch the numbers tomorrow night?

The Auld Grump - I swear to Gogamagog, if the Retreat hadn't been so important to Megan, I would have let Dave & Lily swing in the breeze... The initial mess was entirely of their own making. I hate dealing with stupid people.

* Actually, without Dave & Lily, being CFO will be a whole lot less of a worry and burden going forward. They almost managed to bankrupt the retreat a while back, and had been using the business account for the retreat as their personal checking account - intermingling funds.

Which is what brought me - the guy they freaking hired to run role playing games - and the local U/U community - there is a reason why pagans being married to Unitarians is a cliche - and Keith Petrie - U/U minister and competent MBA - into this imbroglio. (They had an open business meeting to explain why the Retreat was going to go away, and I helped make sure that it wouldn't. I brought in Keith, who brought in the U/U folks....)

I need to give a shout out to the IRS agents that went out of their way to help the retreat remain in business and in a position to pay off all outstanding costs and taxes. If they had wanted, they could have squashed Dave, Lily, and the Retreat like squishy bugs.

One of the IRS requirements was that the Retreat have an actual accountant doing the books - Dave & Lily's current financial idiocy will in no way impact the Retreat, other than who receives the site fees going forward. :winkthumbs:

The IRS and accountants never gets the praise they are often due. The Retreat has not been legally required to have an accountant handling the books for a couple of years now - but we have kept the accountant the IRS recommended, and he has done an excellent job of separating what was a tangled financial mess, and keeping it separate.

*EDIT* Hmmm... my footnote is almost as long as the post... -5 points for structure.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 12
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sanael said:

Legend of Korra is pretty epic too.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I once heard Patricia Briggs explain that it is not safe to Google 'Fairy Stick'. (She was looking for a faerie staff from folklore... that is not what she found. :unsure:)

The Auld Grump - 

“Pen Test” isn’t naughty, it’s just testing computer security features with a macho manly tough guy flavor (Going by the images that cropped up.)

BtW, being brave and / or foolish I Googled “Fairy Stick” and found many pictures of sparkly little wands with stars on the end.

• Like 8

I hope I wake up by the time I go home. I've been a derp today and that's not good for the agenda.

I'm trying to paint a character who wears mostly black and OSL it heavily. From the bottom, red (spell effect), and from flame in hand, blue-green (another spell effect). Getting the red on first, but woooo it is taking a lot of layering to build up to showing well.

• Like 5