Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I once heard Patricia Briggs explain that it is not safe to Google 'Fairy Stick'. (She was looking for a faerie staff from folklore... that is not what she found. :unsure:)

Possibly the last business meeting for the Pagan Retreat tomorrow, figuring out if this will be the last year or not.

Looking good - in a bad sort of way. Keith is probably taking over payments, management, and eventual ownership of the campground, splitting payments between Mr. Haines - the former owner - and Dave & Lily, who had taken the campground over and were paying Mr. Haines for it. (Directly, not through a bank.)

The problem is that they have been skipping payments, and were already six payments behind.

If Lily is to believed, she didn't know - it came up because Dave & Lily are breaking up, because Dave is a manipulative *BEEP!*

Supposedly, Dave has been skipping payments without her knowledge. I swear, there are some people that should never be trusted with a business, or even a checking account.

Dave's excuse is that because he wasn't sure how the property was going to be split in the divorce, he didn't want to make any payments.... <_< The guy supposedly has an MBA... ... ... :huh:

The payments from the Retreat have been going to Dave, and Dave has not been putting any of it towards paying off the campsite.

So, six of the payments that would have been going to Dave & Lily will instead be going to Mr. Haines. Leaving twelve payments over two years to a jointly held account between Dave & Lily. alternating monthly with payments to Mr. Haines - with the first year going fully and directly to Mr. Haines. (Mr. Haines has been more than patient - I think he likes being involved with a pagan retreat. *EDIT* That, and he is retired - he just doesn't care that much about the money at this point. Eight months out of the year he lives in Florida.)

If the U/U folks do not take it over than D&L are in for some serious liability - the Retreat's paperwork is through an accounting firm, and up to date. If Mr. Haines was more litigious they would already be in trouble.

So very, very glad that they will no longer be involved with the Retreat - with any luck we can also get rid of our current CFO. (ME! I got volunteered because I brought Keith into this. If he had to suffer, I had to suffer.*)

One change between the old management and the U/U folks - somehow the late business meetings have turned into late potluck dinner/business meetings. (Still gathering at 9:30PM... and I still don't know why. I prefer to keep the mystery and being annoyed by it to finding out the reason and it being boring. ::P: )

So, things are looking good for the Retreat - less good for Dave & Lily, and probably a bit better for Mr. Haines than if we had left it in Dave's hands.

And guess who gets to crunch the numbers tomorrow night?

The Auld Grump - I swear to Gogamagog, if the Retreat hadn't been so important to Megan, I would have let Dave & Lily swing in the breeze... The initial mess was entirely of their own making. I hate dealing with stupid people.

* Actually, without Dave & Lily, being CFO will be a whole lot less of a worry and burden going forward. They almost managed to bankrupt the retreat a while back, and had been using the business account for the retreat as their personal checking account - intermingling funds.

Which is what brought me - the guy they freaking hired to run role playing games - and the local U/U community - there is a reason why pagans being married to Unitarians is a cliche - and Keith Petrie - U/U minister and competent MBA - into this imbroglio. (They had an open business meeting to explain why the Retreat was going to go away, and I helped make sure that it wouldn't. I brought in Keith, who brought in the U/U folks....)

I need to give a shout out to the IRS agents that went out of their way to help the retreat remain in business and in a position to pay off all outstanding costs and taxes. If they had wanted, they could have squashed Dave, Lily, and the Retreat like squishy bugs.

One of the IRS requirements was that the Retreat have an actual accountant doing the books - Dave & Lily's current financial idiocy will in no way impact the Retreat, other than who receives the site fees going forward. :winkthumbs:

The IRS and accountants never gets the praise they are often due. The Retreat has not been legally required to have an accountant handling the books for a couple of years now - but we have kept the accountant the IRS recommended, and he has done an excellent job of separating what was a tangled financial mess, and keeping it separate.

*EDIT* Hmmm... my footnote is almost as long as the post... -5 points for structure.

Eh, you're just fretting because things are changing, and because Dave and Lily are drama queens.

I know you sympathasize with Lily, but I figured he was a flake at the first business meeting you dragged me to.

Keith is great, Kathy is great, Pat and Patty are great, and Merza has a good head on her shoulders.

It all comes down to if Keith wants the campground, you can ignore Dave and Lily now. <_<

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Today I put all my Prismacolor pencils in order and catalogued which ones were missing (surprisingly few, ... one, in fact ...).

In the course of which I discovered at least four different eras of Prismacolor pencil,  datable by the different typefaces used on the things. The oldest ones (my 120-pencil set, the full range “New for the ‘90s”) have a plain round font and say “Berol”. Slightly later ones (the 48-pencil set, I think it was) are the same, except the numbers identifying the colors are in a bigger, fancier, kind of art deco font. Later ones have a smaller, rectangular font and no company on the pencil. And later ones than that have the rectangular font and say Sanford.

I really like my Prismacolor pencils.

• Like 12

Sad news. Just scheduled our 20yo kitty to be put to sleep tomorrow. She’s been in kidney failure for two years, and the vet said that we had kept her in very good health for her to last that long. But she is at the end of what her body can do, with only 5-10% kidney function, and is starting to really suffer. She is my wife’s cat, and she won't be back from Japan for another three weeks so she is devastated, of course. Wife got to see her over FaceTime and I’ll be giving her a morning in the sun. She won’t be moving much, but it is what I can do.

• Sad 31

21 minutes ago, Corsair said:

@Colonel Kane Be glad that it was a chicken, not a vulture.......they've started hanging around here.

I've vultures and red tail hawks living in the greenbelt behind my house. Always makes me nervous when I see neighbors with pocket sized dogs that they let out in their backyards unattended....

4 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Sad news. Just scheduled our 20yo kitty to be put to sleep tomorrow. She’s been in kidney failure for two years, and the vet said that we had kept her in very good health for her to last that long. But she is at the end of what her body can do, with only 5-10% kidney function, and is starting to really suffer. She is my wife’s cat, and she won't be back from Japan for another three weeks so she is devastated, of course. Wife got to see her over FaceTime and I’ll be giving her a morning in the sun. She won’t be moving much, but it is what I can do.

oh no!  that's heartbreaking

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Zink said:

Yes, because while running around naked screaming may not be the best tactic for personal survival it is a great distraction that works on monsters as well as males.

I'm guessing that you've seen The Cabin in the Woods, right? It explains so much about that part of the horror genre and is an awesome film to boot ^_^

10 hours ago, Zink said:

One of my all time favourite Simpson's quotes is. "Don't worry, laddy. There's nary a beast alive that can outrun a greased scotsman." That's what your comment made me think of.

As a veteran of many nights out in Glasgow, I can completely vouch for that statement.

38 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

I am so very sorry to hear this  *sends hugs*

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Pingo said:

Note to self: "Pen Test" is not a suitable tag for a video about testing marker pens for lightfastness.

What did you go with?

What you are really doing is testing the Ink,  from the pen, after it has been deposited on a surface. 

Inkfastness?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

Sorry to hear that. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TGP said:

What did you go with?

What you are really doing is testing the Ink,  from the pen, after it has been deposited on a surface. 

Inkfastness?

Lightfastness is the usual word. I think I also used marker, felt tip pen, archival, permanence, testing art materials, and things like that. 

• Like 6

A banner day, got into the hot tub twice today! The second time my wife even joined me. She has been working at getting her classes done, she is doing well and took a 'light' day. I still am slowly working on my GURPS Fantasy Campaign and now not only do I have to work on my GURPS Traveller Campaign, but I have to start working on. GURPS Fallout Campaign as well. I told my youngest son (17) that I would try to get in at least one of each before the end of the year. I know what I want to do with the Traveller Campaign and it should be easy to get started now that I have a new secret map resource.....but I will wait until after we play Fantasy, on the 28th of next month, before I start the Traveller game. Fallout is still up in the air for now as to what the heck I will do. I have a few ideas floating around, but nothing firm yet. I did get the starting Fantasy town's map done. Just have to get it printed out and then layout a few locations for the next couple of adventures in the local area, but that can wait till after next months game. I am still working on the particular details of next months game. I have a general idea, but not sure how I want to go about it. Well it is about time for bed as I have to get up and work in the morning, tomorrow is my long day.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Assuming there is already a community - there is this solution to the Fermi Paradox to consider:
https://bigthink.com/scotty-hendricks/a-new-solution-to-the-fermi-paradox-were-going-to-kill-everybody-else

It's the bureaucrats in charge of the engineers who are using goblin math. 

Bureaucrat: How long will it take us to get to Mars?
Engineer:  The formula for how long it will take us to develop this technology is complex - it depends a lot on the resources and funding you give us, plus our coordination with other research projects and their resources and funding. 
Bureaucrat: So 20? 

I've heard that there may be a better case for going to Venus.  Closer, plus pressurized habitats could be floated in the upper atmosphere would make it easier and thus cheaper, and we might even find things we can extract from the atmosphere to make it worth it. 

The best case fr the short term can be made for going back to the Moon, with the intention of establishing a permanent presence with the objective of building the first interplanetary Service Station.

The moon is at the top of the gravity well all us earth folk are at the bottom of looking up, it's a reasonably short commute, it has been demonstrated there are useful resources there, and fonce you get to the moon you are effectively half-way to anyplace in the Solar System.

Once we have an established moon base some satellite service operations could be done from there, at lower fuel cost than for the same service performed from Planet Earth.  The hardest part is the establishment of the initial habitat.  Once that is established we have a destination for additional material to be sent to whenever lift space becomes available on orbital launches and whatever is put into orbit can be retrieved and sent the rest of the way by a purpose built tug capable of soft landing payload in the moons reduced gravity well.

Admitedly, the moon is no where's near as glamorous as a base on Mars but it serves the more imediate needs of the human race better than a "shiny" on Mars that will require massive quantities of support from earth in terms of time and treasure before any return is shown on the investment.

GEM

3 hours ago, Pegazus said:

So sorry on this end.  Will be sending you some thoughts and prayers.

GEM

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Nope, there's no good reason to go to Venus, either, if colonisation is the plan.  

Way too much solar radiation on the trip. I know the people thinking up these schemes are half-baked, but is there any reason to also end up half-cooked?

The moon may be a 'springboard' but only for a small station to maintain and control the processing factories there, which will produce stuff like silicon wafers for solar panels. Stuff that's way too expensive to lift from Earth.   

For what?

Building large orbitals in the Lagrange points.  

Cylindrical habitats many miles long.

Build a window at one end and pooint it towards the sun, then give it a gentle spin to simulate gravity. 

The mass can be found in the asteroid belt, or any number of 'Near Earth Objects', chemicals can be harvested on Mars or a suitable gas giant. 

(We need a large fleet of drones for the chemicals and materials.)

The current plans for Mars Colonisation are at best naive, at worst criminal.

^^^^^^

So much "What He said."  No need to repeat it and it makes the case even stronger for the Lunar Service Station.

GEM

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Though there really isn't much advantage to Mars. Insolation is low, the gravity well is too deep for convenience yet not deep enough to retain a useful atmosphere, it's not close enough either to Earth or anything interesting (in distance or energy), and so far at least we haven't found anything much besides rock and dust. Heresy, I know, but there you go.

And Methane. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/nasa-confirms-curiosity-rovers-surprising-mars-methane-discovery/

Source unknown. Duration brief. A “transient plume”.  

There was a poll recently about space activity and Moon, Mars, and Venus came in 2nd place or worse. 

Top place was asteroids:

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/20/734311961/poll-americans-want-nasa-to-focus-more-on-asteroid-impacts-less-on-getting-to-ma

Edited by TGP
  • Like 9

Today I learned about esophageal spasms.  Mainly by having them for over 6 hours.  Had a nice EKG and some blood tests to verify that my heart is operating well, now I just need to stop putting off going to see a gastroenterologist.  Bleah.  I know they're going to tell me to not drink coffee, eat chocolate or red meat, etc, etc.  :down:

• Sad 17