Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

46 minutes ago, TGP said:

And Methane. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/nasa-confirms-curiosity-rovers-surprising-mars-methane-discovery/

Source unknown. Duration brief. A “transient plume”.  

There was a poll recently about space activity and Moon, Mars, and Venus came in 2nd place or worse. 

Top place was asteroids:

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/20/734311961/poll-americans-want-nasa-to-focus-more-on-asteroid-impacts-less-on-getting-to-ma

Unfortunately, what the plebes think they want is for NASA to develop is a we-won't-have-the-technology-for-this-until-we-do-a-long-list-of-other-things-first system to keep us from experiencing an extinction level impact event.

Until we do some of those other things, the asteroid belt is out of reach.  And robots will be of limited utility that far out due to the time lag for communications and the number of variable involved in the orbital mechanics equations in that, relatively speaking, crowded space.

The asteroid belt is going to require the same sort of heavy equipment needed for mining, and thesame sort of safety protocols, which sometimes require action to be taken ~now~ not after a data packet has been transmitted to earth, a decision made, and the return packet sent and received.  By that time, a very expensive package of robotics has become another inert part [or parts] of that complex orbital mechanics equation.

A lot of asteroid mining will eventually be automated, but not until the situation has been surveyed by Mark I Eyeballs and the high grade material identified and a plan developed for extracting it from the bumper car circuit of surrounding base materials.

We do know the approximate orbits of a number of objects that require close watching.  We currently have little or no capability to do anything about any of the objects capable of perpetrating that extinction level event.  t is going to require technology of the same level as required for asteroid mining to be able to develop any effective system to meet with Joe Six Packs expectations.

GEM

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

We do know the approximate orbits of a number of objects that require close watching.  We currently have little or no capability to do anything about any of the objects capable of perpetrating that extinction level event. 

What I got out of the survey was: focus on NEOs  the one that hasn’t been found is the problem. 

If an object is in the asteroid belt it poses no threat.  Mining technology =\= deflection technology. 

4 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Unfortunately, what the plebes think they want is for NASA to develop is a we-won't-have-the-technology-for-this-until-we-do-a-long-list-of-other-things-first system to keep us from experiencing an extinction level impact event.

Putting it another way: JQPublic is uninterested in constrained, inside the box thinking like that, instead it wants somebody to break out of that box and think up something that will allow some deflection capability. Establish it and then improve on it. 

I didn't take the survey but I kinda agree with it. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

>wanders through the thread<

Joins in.

David Attenborough Voice:

Wolves tend to move in packs, as we can see here with these two it sometimes starts small but soon there might be a mighty pack roaming this thread.

There are several different species of wolves but these two are of a rare breed.

While the multicoloured one seems to be the strangest of the two one should notice the chaotic behaviour of the other one.

Their behaviour is erratic at the least and one should be cautious in approaching such beasts unless one carries a big bag of bacon.

7 hours ago, Pingo said:

BTW:

My daughter is making a web comic: http://comicaurora.com/

I've read it, looks great!

7 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Sad news. Just scheduled our 20yo kitty to be put to sleep tomorrow. She’s been in kidney failure for two years, and the vet said that we had kept her in very good health for her to last that long. But she is at the end of what her body can do, with only 5-10% kidney function, and is starting to really suffer. She is my wife’s cat, and she won't be back from Japan for another three weeks so she is devastated, of course. Wife got to see her over FaceTime and I’ll be giving her a morning in the sun. She won’t be moving much, but it is what I can do.

:down: My sympathies.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I will never stop regretting that the teddy bear army came to my attention too late. And too poor. 

Also, I can't remember who made it now. I just want to take a gander at how many limbs I'd have to sell to get it.

Look at Slave 2 Gaming og CompanyB...   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate having our point of sale system web based? Because I seriously hate it. I've got two hours and 15 minutes left in my shift and I haven't been able to do much of anything because of a system maintenance that started at the same time as my shift. 

Usually these things end a little early, so I'm able to get my work done before guests swamp me. But not today. Oh no, it's like they knew I have 150 little old ladies who need their bill split this way and that, and who will all be getting up early to try to do that. Because if they get up early they can avoid the rush, right? 

And these are the same people who swarmed the restaurant last night in a group of 100 all wanting their food in 30 minutes. I have an extreme dislike of people who make no effort to understand the limitations of the service industry and demand their service "NOW!"

• Like 2
  • Sad 9

1. We have just finished watching the new Evangelion dub on Netflix. The remastered animation is gah-huh-ORGEOUS. Any qualms I have about the dub (and there are several) are with the translation; the performances are pretty stellar, and the new cast clearly did their research on the previous cast's performances. Which is all well and good, but the reason I'm posting here is to describe my mornings, given several hours of mainlining Evangelion each night before bed:

Yesterday, I awoke out of a dream in which Unit 01 was creepy-walking through Tokyo 3, to the tune of the "Sesame Street" theme.

Today, I awoke with this playing in my head on repeat:

You put your whole self in

Can't get your whole self out

You put your whole self in

And you stir the Tang about

They say the End is near

But each Death has its Rebirth

INS TRU men tal IT TY!

...as an adult, I seem to see the absurdities in Eva a lot more clearly than I used to.

2. I'm trying a new fig bar brand, and I noticed the wrapper claims, among many other "Wellness" bullet points, the bar is "Planet Based." 

And I thought, "well, yeah. This greenthumb hippie company doesn't have a manufacturer *in orbit.* Duh."

Then I realized it says "plant based." And I thought, " oh, well that makes more sense."

... And then I thought, "Waitaminnit! What do these people think figs ARE?!"

At least the fig bars are good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 14
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Corsair said:

@Colonel Kane Be glad that it was a chicken, not a vulture.......they've started hanging around here.

I've been seeing more turkey vultures than usual this year as well. Not sure if it's Mothman calling in reinforcements or Nature's way of commenting on IL in general.

• Haha 10

16 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

I've been seeing more turkey vultures than usual this year as well. Not sure if it's Mothman calling in reinforcements or Nature's way of commenting on IL in general.

I think the buzzards here are watching me thinking "old fat guy, BUFFET!"

@Pegazus so sorry about your cat

@LittleBluberry get better!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Pingo said:

“Pen Test” isn’t naughty, it’s just testing computer security features with a macho manly tough guy flavor (Going by the images that cropped up.)

BtW, being brave and / or foolish I Googled “Fairy Stick” and found many pictures of sparkly little wands with stars on the end.

Given that Google 'personalizes' results these days... ::D:

I know Megan and I can get very different results with the same query on Google - it makes me miss when they were simply sorted by number of references. I don't think the results need to be personalized, at least not for my purposes.

That said - I have never Googled 'Fairy Stick'.... (You know that classic trope where someone is told 'Never open that door/box'? Well, I wouldn't open that door/box....)

The Auld Grump - we are changing our internet provider this weekend, if gods are willing and the creek don't rise. *EDIT* Going from Spectrum to a local company.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 6

Got an e-mail from Keith - he is picking up ownership of the campground, he realized people might be worried.

Meanwhile, dealing with stupid people at work.... Yesterday some of the black plastic holding pans were white with grease.

I showed the manager on duty, who told me to tell the closing manager when she came in.

She came in, and I told her - her first response was 'No, they weren't!'

Then I told her that I had showed them to another manager.

Her response to that was 'Why did you show him?! He wasn't the closing manager!' - changing her story in the blink of an eye. (Uhm, he was the manager on duty when I found the disgusting pans? He's the one that I was supposed to show them to?)

Talking to one of the closing crew later, it turned out that the manager herself was the one that had done the dishes that night.... <_<

Which means a manager - who should know better - was the one washing the pans in cold greasy water. No excuse for that. None. The water is required to be 110+.

I hate working with stupid people.

Then I went and ran a Pathfinder game for smart kids, which made me feel infinitely better. ::P:

Their gear list got a bit longer - and sprouted a list of what apps might be on their phones.

Amusingly, the kid that took the Electronics trait not only had his own solar recharger with him, but an extra battery backup for his phone - and also wants a solar powered calculator for his character. (Again, proving it is likely by showing that he was, in fact, carrying one right then. ::D: )

The kids seem to really like the premise of the game - only eight kids last night, and we will be dropping down to six in a few more weeks, then picking back up to ten or twelve when school starts back up.

Becca is excited - her parents are getting her her own set of mail for next Pennsic. (Surprise - she wants to have her character go into some warrior class or another when the opportunity arises - she likes playing bards in game, but for a character based on herself... ... ... a bard she is not. ::P: Still, Sam, Becca, and Dain all get points for enthusiastic singing. (And Dain actually can sing. Sam... gets her singing voice from her mom.)

*EDIT* Five actual scouts in the group - two Girl Scouts (Becca and Sam) and three Boy Scouts (Iain, Dain, and Dione... for some reason their names remind me of the dwarfs in The Hobbit, but then Dain is named after one of the dwarfs in The Hobbit).

The Auld Grump - a lot more scouts than I had expected.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 17

Bleurgh. Yesterday I was introduced to how to do back rolls in my Aikido martial arts class. It's sort of like doing a backwards somersault, except it's more of a diagonal movement (so you don't end up putting all your weight on your neck). By the end of class, I felt like a potato that had been sent on four roller coasters in succession, then thoroughly mashed lol. Naturally, today I'm feeling stiff and sore in all kinds of interesting ways. 

...I can't wait to do it again next week!!* ::D: :bday: :lol:

*Actually not sarcasm. It was actually a lot of fun (I happen to really like roller coasters). ^_^

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 7
  • Haha 12

14 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Sad news. Just scheduled our 20yo kitty to be put to sleep tomorrow. She’s been in kidney failure for two years, and the vet said that we had kept her in very good health for her to last that long. But she is at the end of what her body can do, with only 5-10% kidney function, and is starting to really suffer. She is my wife’s cat, and she won't be back from Japan for another three weeks so she is devastated, of course. Wife got to see her over FaceTime and I’ll be giving her a morning in the sun. She won’t be moving much, but it is what I can do.

Blessed be. ::(:

The Auld Grump

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

Bleurgh. Yesterday I was introduced to how to do back rolls in my Aikido martial arts class. It's sort of like doing a backwards somersault, except it's more of a diagonal movement (so you don't end up putting all your weight on your neck). By the end of class, I felt like a potato that had been sent on four roller coasters in succession, then thoroughly mashed lol. Naturally, today I'm feeling stiff and sore in all kinds of interesting ways. 

...I can't wait to do it again next week!!* ::D: :bday: :lol:

*Actually not sarcasm. It was actually a lot of fun (I happen to really like roller coasters). ^_^

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Back rolls are one of my favorite things! 

I rode my bike to work today after a hiatus... My legs feel like bruised potatoes!

• Like 9