Jump to content

Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Recommended Posts

Maybe it’s just because the week has been stressful, undeserved management pressure, day off tomorrow, no career change in sight, or that my girls come home Tuesday, but I am so done with my being gainfully employed. I won’t actually do anything drastic, but handing over a resignation letter would feel so good.

 

Maybe I go pay the tax for people who are bad at math. Just for the dreaming I would allow myself.

  • Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Marxism is just another flavor of cult [most political systems are].  You are just seeing the natural human tendency to turn a belief system, in this case Marxism, into something that slots into the same place in the Human Psyche as religion, often as a substitute for religion.

 

Well, but he’s weirdly religious too.

 

For every other culture he’s scrupulous about only using verified, contemporary sources. If a list of Babylonian kings wasn’t assembled until 500 years after the time they reigned, he mentions it and points out how unreliable this makes it. And for every other culture he uses the ancient names of the places as documented at the time.

 

He doesn’t apply that same level of rigor to the Bible, which like the record of old kings was not compiled until centuries after the events it covers. There is little to no external verification of most of its stories from either archeology or the many, many records of the literate peoples of the area, and yet he treats this one source, and this one source only, it as if it were wholly reliable journalistic reporting and fact.

 

He also uses jarringly anachronistic names for the land at the southish eastern end of the Mediterranean. Unlike every other nation he covers, never once does he call the place by its then-name, Canaan. He doesn’t even mention the Canaanites or the Phoenicians. He always uses the words “Israel” and “Palestine,” no matter how far back he’s referring to.

 

Compared to the careful scholarship he uses elsewhere it’s noticeably weird.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I was told once, by a member of the legal "profession", that for every warning label or disclaimer you can count on there having been at least one lawsuit that is the reason behind the warning.

GEM

I've also heard that about the eBay prohibited and restricted items list...

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

Really? How will the world know what the toddler-in-chief is having for breakfast now?

 

A cheeseburger, most likely.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pingo said:

 

Well, but he’s weirdly religious too.

 

For every other culture he’s scrupulous about only using verified, contemporary sources. If a list of Babylonian kings wasn’t assembled until 500 years after the time they reigned, he mentions it and points out how unreliable this makes it. And for every other culture he uses the ancient names of the places as documented at the time.

 

He doesn’t apply that same level of rigor to the Bible, which like the record of old kings was not compiled until centuries after the events it covers. There is little to no external verification of most of its stories from either archeology or the many, many records of the literate peoples of the area, and yet he treats this one source, and this one source only, it as if it were wholly reliable journalistic reporting and fact.

 

He also uses jarringly anachronistic names for the land at the southish eastern end of the Mediterranean. Unlike every other nation he covers, never once does he call the place by its then-name, Canaan. He doesn’t even mention the Canaanites or the Phoenicians. He always uses the words “Israel” and “Palestine,” no matter how far back he’s referring to.

 

Compared to the careful scholarship he uses elsewhere it’s noticeably weird.

I applaud you for being perceptive enough to notice.

Sounds like somebody with a definite political agenda.

GEM

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pingo said:

 

Life in the Ancient Near East by Daniel C. Snell.

 

A quick flick through Amazon shows that he seems to have written essentially the same book 4 different times.

 

Almost certainly someone with an agenda.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I did more work on my demon's base, and grey lined 2 other minis. I'll call that progress. We used up most of the most perishable things from the fridge. The freezer is weirdly working... though the fridge seems to not be still... 

 

*shrug* We'll see what the tech says tomorrow. 

 

Raining now, so can't really walk the dogs. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are haggling over maps, who needs what, who wants what, and which ones are being saved for a rainy(er) day. ::):

 

And somehow we ended up at a karaoke night at a brew pub. <_< (She misled me, she got home and asked 'are you hungry? Want to go out to eat?' and somehow we ended up at Seadog....)

 

The Auld Grump - we had a lot of not-date-dates at Seadog. ::P:

  • Like 4
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

It's free Slurpee Day today.

Don't forget to swipe your card too, since it's a bonus 1,000 points too.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ummmm...

 

This might be more appropriate in the Tell Me Something thread:

4 hours ago, Unruly said:

Personally, I would love to have seen a certain former POW Senator punch a few certain other politicians. It would have become just as, if not more, viral a video as Buzz Aldrin punching that moon landing conspiracist. And seeing as the man had inoperable brain cancer and knew he was about to die...

 

If you are referencing former Senator John McCain of AZ he could not have done that. His permanent injuries to his shoulders suffered as a POW made merely raising his hands to shoulder level impossible, much less throwing punches. He was significantly disabled, but never publicized or spoke of it much. 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, oh... Our Sunday, Monday, Thursday Night Do Nothing Nights have been derailed for the foreseeable future by a series of horrible murders.

 

By nineteen series of horrible murders....

 

Netflix has the entirety of Midsomer Murders.

 

And Megan has never seen any of them. ::o:

 

This must be rectified by binge watching them. All of them.

 

May the gods have mercy upon our souls.

 

The Auld Grump

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TGP said:

Ummmm...

 

This might be more appropriate in the Tell Me Something thread:

 

If you are referencing former Senator John McCain of AZ he could not have done that. His permanent injuries to his shoulders suffered as a POW made merely raising his hands to shoulder level impossible, much less throwing punches. He was significantly disabled, but never publicized or spoke of it much. 

Many, if not most of the "guests" of the Hanoi Hilton suffered injuries that were and are debilitating.

I had the honor while stationed at Miramar to be on the security detail when these Heroes were returning to the USA.

GEM

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Netflix has the entirety of Midsomer Murders.

 

And Megan has never seen any of them. ::o:

 

Every Thursday Night. And I have to wait a week for Part II. 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have spent most of the evening slinging paint! :bday:

I ordered a couple of decanters for inspiration/props for my Genie escaping the bottle Diorama and while washing them I noticed that the stopper for one was roughly the shape of what has been known as "The Genie Bottle" ever since the TV Show I DREAM OF JEANNIE, but proportioned much better for the Reaper Djinn from the Kickstarter 4  Rewards.

The color is a translucent cranberry red, which gave me the key I needed to jump start a color palette for the project and the Green Djinn now has been blocked out color wise.

I probably won't have much hobby time for a couple of days as Mama has Cataract Surgery on one eye tomorrow, so her needs are going to supersede my own till she is well into convalescence.

If her surgery goes as well as the one they did on me about 3 years ago she is not just going to be seeing things more clearly but her color registration in that eye will be brighter as well.

It will be a very early day tomorrow, so early as to be in violation of Emerald City Philosophers and Cogitators Guild - Standard Work Rules.  Such is life.

GEM

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×