Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

Is there some kind of universal law that smoke detectors inevitably wait to have problems until after the sun's gone down? 

--snip--

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Yes. It's actually one of the more frequently enacted (and universally despised) tenets of Murphy's Law.

Sorry you're battling a chirping demon at oh-dark thirty.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Hmmm, to pick up the two player starter pack for DropZone Commander this upcoming payday...  And then one of the Infinity starters next month...  Or be more responsible, and instead go for things like paints and brushes...

Are you planning to play infinity or just paint? Because the minis are very nice, but the current edition of the rules is a bit of a mess.

• Like 7

Many and Insidious are the plots of Skynet...

Since it's at the end of it's life and being replaced anyway, have you though about taking an ax to it? I've come to find that there are very few household issues that an ax won't solve.

At least it's not hooked up to the whole building. In the hellhole of a roominghouse I stayed at in Austin, every time some idiot set one off, the entire complex had to evacuate, and the fire dept showed up. There were times this was an almost nightly occurrence. 

• Like 10

Further proof that this is a universal issue- 

Oh hold on. Wait a second. I just realized.

There could be more to this than meets the eye.

Given that every dwelling and building needs to have a fire alarm installed in it...what if the things are really moles for our someday robot overlords? 

I sense a new conspiracy afoot. 

:ph34r:

(*chirp! chirp! chirp!*) 

Huzzah! 

That has happened to me! I have been there!! It also proves that you are much nicer than I am — also, more patient. 

There is to this day a circular hole in a ceiling I theoretically own. 

A hole shaped like a smoke detector with wires dangling out of it. 

It turns out they will cease making obnoxious noises, (in fact any noises at all), if someone snarls like an enraged bear, clamps onto the thing with a bear-like human paw, and rips them straight down, right off the ceiling. 

:ph34r: Best not to ask how I know:blues:

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, OneBoot said:

This time as I'm digging out a second battery (from an unopened pack this time), I notice it's not doing a normal single chirp, it's doing them in groups of 3

Uh, you have my permission to yell at me lots here if I'm wrong but, if it's at end of life and chirping in groups of 3 can't you just take the battery out until they come out to look at it? If it's not working properly there's not really a point in leaving a battery in it to let it deprive you of sleep right?

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Many and Insidious are the plots of Skynet...

Since it's at the end of it's life and being replaced anyway, have you though about taking an ax to it? I've come to find that there are very few household issues that an ax won't solve.

At least it's not hooked up to the whole building. In the hellhole of a roominghouse I stayed at in Austin, every time some idiot set one off, the entire complex had to evacuate, and the fire dept showed up. There were times this was an almost nightly occurrence. 

37 minutes ago, TGP said:

That has happened to me! I have been there!! It also proves that you are much nicer than I am — also, more patient. 

There is to this day a circular hole in a ceiling I theoretically own. 

A hole shaped like a smoke detector with wires dangling out of it. 

It turns out they will cease making obnoxious noises, (in fact any noises at all), if someone snarls like an enraged bear, clamps onto the thing with a bear-like human paw, and rips them straight down, right off the ceiling. 

:ph34r: Best not to ask how I know:blues:

28 minutes ago, Sibling said:

Uh, you have my permission to yell at me lots here if I'm wrong but, if it's at end of life and chirping in groups of 3 can't you just take the battery out until they come out to look at it? If it's not working properly there's not really a point in leaving a battery in it to let it deprive you of sleep right?

Quoting all 3 because they're related to the following fact I neglected to mention: the dreadful thing is hard-wired to the wall, with the battery there just as a back-up power source. Leaving the battery out didn't have the slightest effect on the chirping (I tried that too). 

While both doing violence to it and ripping it from the wall have been longingly considered, I'm fairly certain either of those actions would cause it to start making an even louder and more obnoxious sound (aka set it off). Also it would likely get me into trouble since there's sure to be something about not tampering with the smoke detector in our apt lease agreement.

Btw, y'all are free to laugh at my post about it; while the situation is annoying, I'd intended it to be humorous. It's how I tend to deal with things I have no control over. :upside:

Note: while I have been saying rather unkind things about our smoke detector, I'd far rather put up with the occasional obnoxious beeping than not know if my dwelling was on fire. 

Huzzah! 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 9
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

the dreadful thing is hard-wired to the wall

Yeah I figured this was likely the case, it makes me very glad that ours are all solely reliant on batteries.

The last time I set one off was at 3am by turning on a heater in the lounge room, there must have been some dust on the heating element, I immediately turned it back off but the alarm kept going. With the rest of the family asleep I ran and got a chair from another room to stand on in order to turn it off, smack my shin into the chair (owch) and the chair into the doorway (more noise) in my haste to get to it. Discover the seat of the chair is not attached to it (argh) (there was a reason it had been set to one side) so I run and get the step ladder. I get the ladder set up and climb up to turn it off and it shuts itself off. For a moment I ponder turning the heater back on and eventually just decide to drink my cup of camomile tea in the cold. Eventually I head back to bed and am able to get to sleep, even though I'm freezing and panicked. In the morning I apologise to the family about the racket I made at 3am. Not a one of them noticed...they all slept soundly through.

I'm almost certain that I'd be the one that has to wake up everyone else in the event that an alarm did go off, everyone else seems able to sleep through everything.

Edited by Sibling
  • Like 11

I already really like Londo and I want to shake him til his head shakes like a bobble head. The damned fool is going to get everyone killed and he's too much a sweetheart to go down in history as a mass murdering a-hole. ::(:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 8

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Are you planning to play infinity or just paint? Because the minis are very nice, but the current edition of the rules is a bit of a mess.

I was leaning towards getting into the game to play, since it's partially what I'm using to justify some of the terrain I'll be picking up over the next six or so months.  That and I've noticed I do greatly prefer games that are more like skirmish / small squad games, versus "my turn will take twenty minutes because I have to move my 200 soldiers" type games (which, looking back, is kind of funny to me, since boy GW games I used to regularly play I fell in love with armies that typically are horde armies) 

As for rules, it can't be any worse than the mess that is 40k's rules, and 40k doesn't have werewolves in it, or truly effective snipers.. ^_^

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I was leaning towards getting into the game to play, since it's partially what I'm using to justify some of the terrain I'll be picking up over the next six or so months.  That and I've noticed I do greatly prefer games that are more like skirmish / small squad games, versus "my turn will take twenty minutes because I have to move my 200 soldiers" type games (which, looking back, is kind of funny to me, since boy GW games I used to regularly play I fell in love with armies that typically are horde armies) 

As for rules, it can't be any worse than the mess that is 40k's rules, and 40k doesn't have werewolves in it, or truly effective snipers.. ^_^

ah. Well, good luck.

The core mechanic action and ARO is pretty great, but it is the linkteam (squad) mechanic that kind of does not balance with the rest of the game. It costs nothing and can make certain units game breaking. As for sniper effectiveness, it isn't great, machine guns and rockets are kind of better snipers than snipers.

Since you mentioned wolves I assume you plan to do Ariadna? 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

ah. Well, good luck.

The core mechanic action and ARO is pretty great, but it is the linkteam (squad) mechanic that kind of does not balance with the rest of the game. It costs nothing and can make certain units game breaking. As for sniper effectiveness, it isn't great, machine guns and rockets are kind of better snipers than snipers.

Since you mentioned wolves I assume you plan to do Ariadna? 

I haven't quite decided on which faction's fluff and look I like the most...  Ariadna is nice because of puppies and neat looking bikes, but then there's Yu Jing with, uhm... Everything.  No, I swear it isn't the orange factory paint job that also catches the eye...  It's more the models do look fairly nice, graceful, and have the balls to use energy bows in a world of projectile weapons.  And their jetpacks look the coolest from the various minis I've looked at.  Ariadna has a really nice look heavy weapons suit WITH A FREAKING HAMMER OF DOOM in the Coldfront set too.

....Aaaaand then there's Haqqislam, which I keep wanting to pronounce like "hockey slam", because I've always had a soft spot for well done desert nomad type looks, and they're probably my favourite look I've seen for such out of most companies lines I've looked at.

I tend to pick my factions mainly based upon fluff and what they look like, which isn't necessarily the "best", especially for competitive play, but since I don't really intent on competing, just having fun with them.....

• Like 5

Quoting all 3 because they're related to the following fact I neglected to mention: the dreadful thing is hard-wired to the wall, with the battery there just as a back-up power source. Leaving the battery out didn't have the slightest effect on the chirping (I tried that too). 

While both doing violence to it and ripping it from the wall have been longingly considered, I'm fairly certain either of those actions would cause it to start making an even louder and more obnoxious sound (aka set it off). Also it would likely get me into trouble since there's sure to be something about not tampering with the smoke detector in our apt lease agreement.

Btw, y'all are free to laugh at my post about it; while the situation is annoying, I'd intended it to be humorous. It's how I tend to deal with things I have no control over. :upside:

Note: while I have been saying rather unkind things about our smoke detector, I'd far rather put up with the occasional obnoxious beeping than not know if my dwelling was on fire. 

Huzzah! 

I've always preferred the gentler approach.  unlatch the smoke detector and remove the power connection plug, hand it to the maintenance tech when they show up with "I did half your work for you, now fix it" in the nicest way possible.  that way no damage, no noise and no one can prove that you didn't just remove it 5 minutes before the handyman showed up. 

Since our first floor detector is in the kitchen, it can be super annoying.  fortunately my brother gave us a camp stove (as least that's what he calls it)  it sits where my grill was and has an grilling attachment but its 40000 BTU and will cook anything!  so now for anything that might smoke (like frying or heavy broiling or grilling we use the outside burners and no more fire alarms. 

16 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I haven't quite decided on which faction's fluff and look I like the most...  Ariadna is nice because of puppies and neat looking bikes, but then there's Yu Jing with, uhm... Everything.  No, I swear it isn't the orange factory paint job that also catches the eye...  It's more the models do look fairly nice, graceful, and have the balls to use energy bows in a world of projectile weapons.  And their jetpacks look the coolest from the various minis I've looked at.  Ariadna has a really nice look heavy weapons suit WITH A FREAKING HAMMER OF DOOM in the Coldfront set too.

....Aaaaand then there's Haqqislam, which I keep wanting to pronounce like "hockey slam", because I've always had a soft spot for well done desert nomad type looks, and they're probably my favourite look I've seen for such out of most companies lines I've looked at.

I tend to pick my factions mainly based upon fluff and what they look like, which isn't necessarily the "best", especially for competitive play, but since I don't really intent on competing, just having fun with them.....

thanks for reminding me I have a huge pile of minis from CMoN for Wrath of Kings.  Great minis, okay rules, no time...

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

nothing wrong with that method of picking a faction, and those are all good reasons. I ended up playing nomads just because I loved the look of the old zero with e-mauler, and the Chimera. 

BTW you may want to look at second hand for some of those if you want things beyond the starter, because there's a bunch of people who have gotten out of the game in the last year or two. Also be ready to pin things, very tiny things if you have the older minis, they bumped up the scale a little at the start of N3.

oh also the RPG is kind of great!

• Like 6

Morning, people's.  I hope all is well.

On the topic of smoke alarms, I tend to keep my broom near it because sometimes it objects to me cooking breakfast.

• Haha 10