Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

People who talk online about Mesopotamian culture would do better to not keep cribbing off each other, especially when the major sources of online information about the foods they ate list all sorts of farm crops (including apples, which didn't show up until 2000 years after many of these places were founded) and somehow all forget that people also eat wild game and birds and the entire land is between two massive rivers and on the Persian gulf so maybe they'll eat a little fish now and then.

Fortunately I've been basing my research on translated cuneiform tablets rather than random internet speculation, but it's still a little annoying that there's so much not-quite-right information out there.

Never mind that I keep having to wipe Bible offa my History, so far as online talk about Mesopotamia is concerned.

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, TGP said:

OK. I’ll bite. Whyyyyy?

>>> carefully ignores paganmegan <<<

<_<

??? :unsure:

1 hour ago, PaganMegan said:

Suspicion confirmed: I have a FILTHY mind.

Oh. :huh:  (I was reading backwards through the thread, and didn't have context from TGP's post until reaching the previous page....)

We need an outrage emoji.

I've MET Connie Willis! WTF?! She was a SWEETHEART!

Harlan Ellison was all the attitude of New York packed into a 5'4" frame.

I actually got along okay with him, but I heard him verbally slice someone up over something incredibly minor. Raging hobbit hole is a polite way of describing him. He was not someone that I sought out when our vicinities were adjacent on subsequent occasion.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 5

Everyone I met in New York was really nice.

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

25 minutes ago, Pingo said:

People who talk online about Mesopotamian culture would do better to not keep cribbing off each other, especially when the major sources of online information about the foods they ate list all sorts of farm crops (including apples, which didn't show up until 2000 years after many of these places were founded) and somehow all forget that people also eat wild game and birds and the entire land is between two massive rivers and on the Persian gulf so maybe they'll eat a little fish now and then.

Fortunately I've been basing my research on translated cuneiform tablets rather than random internet speculation, but it's still a little annoying that there's so much not-quite-right information out there.

Never mind that I keep having to wipe Bible offa my History, so far as online talk about Mesopotamia is concerned.

Your exploration reminds me:

One of my best friends when I was in college specialized in middle eastern languages and archaeology. At one point, he claimed to be one of a very small number of people in North America who could translate Phoenician.

I believe he teaches at Rutgers now. I hope he's doing well.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

Your exploration reminds me:

One of my best friends when I was in college specialized in middle eastern languages and archaeology. At one point, he claimed to be one of a very small number of people in North America who could translate Phoenician.

I believe he teaches at Rutgers now. I hope he's doing well.

Cool! (Phoenician is closely related to Hebrew. I’ve learned the alphabet but I’ve been too lazy to learn any of the language beyond a few names.)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:
2 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Suspicion confirmed: I have a FILTHY mind.

Oh. :huh:  (I was reading backwards through the thread, and didn't have context from TGP's post until reaching the previous page....)

I do that as well. Start on the final page. Then tap the back to quoted post arrows until I find where I left off. 

• Like 7

Well, I just ordered some model kits that I'll probably never assemble because I'm terrible about that. At least these ones are cheap and small...

• Like 8

Ohhhh my gosh, there is SO MUCH whackdoodle nonsense about Sumer online.

I am actually grateful to Wikipedia for sticking pretty firmly to archeological fact in its articles.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pingo said:

Everyone I met in New York was really nice.

My first New York memory.

I was on a small coaster that berthed in New Jersey. This must have been about 1979. The ships agent organised a bus and took about half the crew into the big city and dropped us off in Times Square.

I wandered around like a bumpkin, staring at the tall buildings and continual bustle.

Then Noon came around and things got even more busy as office workers poured out to find lunch.

Out of a door next to me marched a lady executive. Plainly someone of importance. Snappy power suit, big shoulders and even bigger hair.

She tugged a packet of Marlboros out of a pocket, (1979, remember?) tapped out a cigarette and stuck it in the corner of a tight-lipped mouth.

"Ya got a light, buddy?" She snarled as she drew next to me.

Being a nicely brought-up Brit I replied: " No, I'm sorry, I don't smoke."

"I didn't ask for your frikkin' life story." She growled, and marched on.

Edited by paintybeard
  • Like 3
  • Haha 7

9 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Ellison popped an O-ring about this,

In the Morton-Thiokol sense of "popped".

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Wow... I am way out of practice with drinking - I had one pint at the karaoke, and it is nappy time!

Just before I went on, Megan turned to me and said: Hulk? Smash.

So, I grunted affirmative, and made my choice.

'Cause you'll not seen nothin' like the Mighty Quinn.

Fun, easily within my range, and I know it front to back.

And I did indeed smash.* ::D: (Paid for the drinks, dinner, and a bit left over for a seat at the movies. ::): )

I sounded absolutely nothing like Dylan, Mann, or Zappa. (Give me the Manfred Mann version, any day.)

You know it's going well when the rest of the folks in the bar start clapping along.

No driving for either of us, Megan's mum dropped us off and picked us up.

The secret to karaoke - know the song, fit the range, and unlock your inner ham.

I used to hate karaoke - but Megan needed a partner to make sure she got home after drinking, and make sure she didn't have too many. Eventually... I learned to relax - and stopped winning. ::P: (This is my first karaoke win since before we were married.) This is also the first time I have been both competitive and relaxed. Pretty much singing it right to Megan.

The first time I won, at least in a pub - not on Jon and Julie's karaoke machine - the song was Secret Agent Man. I guess karaoke me is stuck in the sixties.

Frankly, while I usually won on Jon and Julie's machine... I was more than a wee bit of a broccoli. <_<

Their machine measures how close you are to the music of the original, not how much others are enjoying your singing. So, I was winning on technical singing, not getting into the proper spirit of drunken revelry.

But I have gotten better about that - J&J are allowing me Camelot and other show tunes again. (I once won with a twisted version of These Are A Few of My Favorite Things... as Peter Lorre. Like I said, I was more than a bit of a jerk. 'Strange ticking packages, tied up with strings'....)

The Auld Grump - I would be willing to bet that Brigid will like my ripoff of The Sound of Music. ::P:

* And got smashed, my tolerance for booze seems to have fled me entire.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 5
  • Haha 9

Okay, that was weird - I nodded off while at the keyboard, and dreamed I was playing in a VR of the old Wizardry 1: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord.

I haven't played it since... 1987, I think? Let alone a VR version that for some reason kept some of the 8 bit graphic look of the original Apple ][ version.

I woke up just as we were attacked by Creeping Coins.

The Auld Grump - I had somehow acquired the Blade Cusinart at way too low a level....

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, Unruly said:

Also, I just got sent a preview video about some CMON project that's going to be hitting kickstarter next year. It's some electronic, RFID-enabled miniatures game system that basically plays games for you. It looks both interesting and destined to fail. I have no doubt that it will be very expensive, and I have plenty of doubts that it will work the way they're wanting it to.

I might keep an eye on the second-hand market about a year after it hits. I have some ideas...

• Like 5