Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

5 hours ago, Pingo said:

Everyone I met in New York was really nice.

I was quoting Isaac Asimov - himself a lifelong New Yorker. ::P:

The Auld Grump - I'm the one that said it was nappy time, but Brigid and Megan are the ones that are asleep. ::P:

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

I might keep an eye on the second-hand market about a year after it hits. I have some ideas...

Did you see the same thing I saw? The Teburu from CMON. RFID base inserts, Bluetooth(I'm guessing) dice that report their rolls, shared connections to smartphones and tablets for stats and stuff. It looks really interesting, but I wouldn't want to go near it until I saw a working prototype in person, or at least through multiple online outlets. The guy who showed it to me said they're going to have a prototype of it at PAX Unplugged, and the press release says they're going to have it at GenCon.

It's definitely something to eyeball, but it also makes me think of the Electronic Battleship type stuff where all it does is slow a game down because it doesn't work right.

57 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Wow... I am way out of practice with drinking - I had one pint at the karaoke, and it is nappy time!

Just before I went on, Megan turned to me and said: Hulk? Smash.

So, I grunted affirmative, and made my choice.

'Cause you'll not seen nothin' like the Mighty Quinn.

Fun, easily within my range, and I know it front to back.

And I did indeed smash.* ::D: (Paid for the drinks, dinner, and a bit left over for a seat at the movies. ::): )

I sounded absolutely nothing like Dylan, Mann, or Zappa. (Give me the Manfred Mann version, any day.)

You know it's going well when the rest of the folks in the bar start clapping along.

No driving for either of us, Megan's mum dropped us off and picked us up.

The secret to karaoke - know the song, fit the range, and unlock your inner ham.

I used to hate karaoke - but Megan needed a partner to make sure she got home after drinking, and make sure she didn't have too many. Eventually... I learned to relax - and stopped winning. ::P: (This is my first karaoke win since before we were married.) This is also the first time I have been both competitive and relaxed. Pretty much singing it right to Megan.

The first time I won, at least in a pub - not on Jon and Julie's karaoke machine - the song was Secret Agent Man. I guess karaoke me is stuck in the sixties.

Frankly, while I usually won on Jon and Julie's machine... I was more than a wee bit of a broccoli. <_<

Their machine measures how close you are to the music of the original, not how much others are enjoying your singing. So, I was winning on technical singing, not getting into the proper spirit of drunken revelry.

But I have gotten better about that - J&J are allowing me Camelot and other show tunes again. (I once won with a twisted version of These Are A Few of My Favorite Things... as Peter Lorre. Like I said, I was more than a bit of a jerk. 'Strange ticking packages, tied up with strings'....)

The Auld Grump - I would be willing to bet that Brigid will like my ripoff of The Sound of Music. ::P:

* And got smashed, my tolerance for booze seems to have fled me entire.

The closest I ever came to doing karaoke for real was in my late teens, playing Counter-Strike on a series of servers that I was a regular on, and frequently an administrator as well so I had access to the alltalk settings. I used to break out in Queen's "I Want to Break Free" or "Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy" every now and again. Of course, I'm tone deaf and nowhere near Freddie Mercury, so it was never great, but the other regulars would all join in. Also, at the time, Rick Rolling was at its height of popularity, so I'd bust that one out every now and again.

But I was always safe behind a screen, usually with no one other than my mom at the house. I tried singing for my then-girlfriend, who was a soprano in the school choir, and she said I'm pretty consistently a half step off key or something like that, and she couldn't stand to have me sing because of it.

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

In about an hour we will bring Brutus to the Doggy Hotel, always a bit difficult for me.

I know he can't come with us and I know the girls at the Doggy Hotel take good care for him, but still, It's the worst part of a vacation.

He does have his own little room, a little "garden" to himself and he goes out twice a day on a field to play with other dogs.

Because of his gentle nature they always let him play with the females, I wonder if this is actually a cunning plan of Brutus.

Then tomorrow my girl and me will fly to Crete.

Oldes vixens stays home and works, youngest will be home a few more days and then will go on vacation with friends to Barcelona.

I managed to hobby a bit.

Finished this Yesterday.

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/87324-77135-mariel-twinspar-by-glitterwolf/

• Like 15

7 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Igor! Pull ze switch!

The Auld Grump

No, the other switch!

Arrrrrgh!

Gonna need more chocolate chips...

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

12 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

No, the other switch!

Arrrrrgh!

This time try saving them to bake with instead of "sampling" them all before actually baking..::P:

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

19 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

In about an hour we will bring Brutus to the Doggy Hotel, always a bit difficult for me.

I know he can't come with us and I know the girls at the Doggy Hotel take good care for him, but still, It's the worst part of a vacation.

He does have his own little room, a little "garden" to himself and he goes out twice a day on a field to play with other dogs.

Because of his gentle nature they always let him play with the females, I wonder if this is actually a cunning plan of Brutus.

I can totally see Brutus cleverly getting to hang out with all the girls by being charming.  Probably he also gets extra attention from the staff, too.  Hopefully our kitty did well at the pet hotel.  She's older so it's harder on her now, but she also needs extra attention.  Hard to find someone trustworthy to come and check on her twice a day.    

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pingo said:

Ohhhh my gosh, there is SO MUCH whackdoodle nonsense about Sumer online.

Anything to do with Gozer and some Bill Murray movie? :poke:

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

Just now, LittleBluberry said:

I can totally see Brutus cleverly getting to hang out with all the girls by being charming.  Probably he also gets extra attention from the staff, too.  Hopefully our kitty did well at the pet hotel.  She's older so it's harder on her now, but she also needs extra attention.  Hard to find someone trustworthy to come and check on her twice a day.    

I get that, when a pet gets older it also gets harder for you.

I have already told my girl that when Brutus gets too old, I will not leave him at a doggy hotel.

Then we will need to have the girls watch over him or we will have to find a destination where we can take him with us ( no flying).

We were lucky to find this particular place, the first doggy hotel we took Brutus to was marginal.

When he returned he was filthy and confused and he really wanted to come with us.

With this place he always greets the staff and he looks clean, lean and healthy.

No adjustment problems when he gets home.

So I'm happy with the place, I jst don't like that we need to.

He would get too little attention at home with just one working vixen staying behind.

• Like 12

On 7/17/2019 at 8:03 PM, Kangaroorex said:

@OneBoot did I read right that you have good news?

:huh: I'm not sure what good news you're referring to, unless it's that MrBoot and I will be moving into a rental house (after living in apartments all 11 years of our married lives) in a few weeks. You might be thinking of @MissMelons, whom someone mentioned awhile back was expecting. 

Re: karaoke - I've never had the chance to do actual karaoke, though I've always wanted to. It's probably because I don't go to bars. :lol:

Re: malfunctioning smoke alarm on Monday - As soon as the apt manager was in her office Tuesday morning, I stopped by to let her know about it in person. Apparently ours was not an isolated incident; it seems all the detectors in the complex were replaced about the same time (~7 years ago), so several had gone out all at once overnight. She was personally quite unhappy with the situation, since she hadn't known about this and so didn't have enough detectors on-site to replace them all. She gave us permission to unplug it to stop the infernal chirping and let us know the replacement would be installed the next day. Neither of us were at all happy about that solution, but it was what it was.

Being paranoid like I am, I stayed up all that night just in case I ended up needing to be a human smoke detector, and fell into bed as soon as MrBoot woke up. The detector was replaced when I woke up, and life continues on. ::):

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 17

2 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

No, the other switch!

Arrrrrgh!

Found this:

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/skillet-chocolate-chip-cookie/

Americas Test Kitchen has a recipe also. From season 9 but sadly behind their members wall.  I tend to trust them because of the way they get into the science / chemistry Involved in cooking. They give the impression they know what they’re doing or have figured a few things out anyway. 

I’ve never seen this done. But if you could find chocolate pirate coins, and lay them out unwrapped on top like pepperoni slices that’d be kinda cool. 

• Like 10

Decided to try one of each cherry batch I made yesterday. I think they could be sweeter. Maybe next time I make some I'll throw some vanilla into the mix as well. And I need to get a cherry stoner, because all I did with these was stem them and cut one side open so that they'd saturate a bit faster.

But they're definitely brandied cherries. They've totally got the bite, and they'll go pretty dang well with a Manhattan.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The secret to karaoke - know the song, fit the range, and unlock your inner ham.

Actually being able to sing probably helps a little, too.::D:

Yay, it's Friday! The temperature is going to be in the mid 90's though; definitely not a fan of that.

• Like 8

Y'all are all doing stuff with your cherries, meanwhile I'm over here just devouring them raw :lol:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Y'all are all doing stuff with your cherries, meanwhile I'm over here just devouring them raw :lol:

I bought 2 and a half pounds. I ate half a pound raw. I brandied the rest. Because why not make yourself an alcoholic snack that you can just pop a couple every now and again?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

It has begun.

100_0948.JPG.a152421e56ea3565d85adf0245d6c614.JPG

Off one of the Big Moon vines, haven't seen any others, but it's still early yet and the bees chased me off when I began moving leaves to peer into the undergrowth. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2