Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

:lol: So I was chatting with my BrotherBoot the other day about computers (he really likes to mess around with building economy rigs), and I was telling him about my old potato* desktop gaming computer. He was curious what the specs were, so I dug around in my Dropbox folder until I came across a hardware list that Steam had gathered 2 years ago.

*"Potato PC" generally refers to a computer with the bare minimum specs (often under minimum) needed to run a particular task/game. It generally can't play games with high quality settings, and does poorly when trying to run current popular games.

Warning: lengthy technical discussion of various computer hardware things follows :upside:

I'd always had a vague understanding that parts of my computer were old, but it wasn't until he started making sounds of physical pain while looking over the list that I discovered just how outdated it was, lol. My CPU is over a decade old, and my motherboard is not much younger! The graphics card is only about 7 years old, though, which surprised me; I have no memory of MrBoot replacing it, but apparently he did so at some point.

For those who are curious:

Note: some info has been removed for brevity

Computer Information:
    Manufacturer:  BIOSTAR Group
    Model:  TA785GE 128M
    Form Factor: Desktop

Processor Information:
    CPU Vendor:  AuthenticAMD
    CPU Brand:  AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
    CPU Family:  0xf
    CPU Model:  0x43
    CPU Stepping:  0x3
    CPU Type:  0x0
    Speed:  3000 Mhz
    2 logical processors
    2 physical processors
    HyperThreading:  Unsupported
    FCMOV:  Supported
    SSE2:  Supported
    SSE3:  Supported
    CMPXCHG16B:  Supported
    LAHF/SAHF:  Supported
    PrefetchW:  Supported

Video Card:
    Driver:  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti
    DirectX Driver Name:  nvd3dum.dll
    Driver Version:  22.21.13.8494
    DirectX Driver Version:  22.21.13.8494
    Driver Date: 7 18 2017
    OpenGL Version: 4.5
    Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
    DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti
    VendorID:  0x10de
    DeviceID:  0x11c6
    Revision:  0xa1
    Number of Monitors:  1
    Number of Logical Video Cards:  1
    No SLI or Crossfire Detected
    Primary Display Resolution:  1280 x 1024
    Desktop Resolution: 1280 x 1024
    Primary Display Size: 17.80" x 14.21" (22.76" diag)
                                            45.2cm x 36.1cm (57.8cm diag)
    Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
    Primary VRAM: 1024 MB
    Supported MSAA Modes:  2x 4x 8x

Sound card:
    Audio device: Speakers (SB Audigy)

Memory:
    RAM:  8191 Mb

Then BrotherBoot and I decided to have some fun benchmarking it, just out of morbid curiosity. The results are actually pretty funny:

662010225_Passmarkbench07-19-19.jpg.36f45e867c6f692c46065f19da8d01b2.jpg

Aw, my poor old computer. :blush: I mean, my PC was really pretty decent when it was put together, and it's generally functioned well over the years. It's just...old.

BrotherBoot decided he could not, in good conscience, allow his older sister to continue using such a sub-optimal piece of equipment, so he puttered around for awhile gathering some things and ended up helping me build most of a decent mid-range PC out of spare parts he had just lying around. It still needs a power supply, RAM and an adapter for my (old, VGA) monitor, but we tested it with the power supply and a stick of RAM from his current computer, and holy cow, I had no idea what I've been missing out on this whole time!

New computer hardware:

I don't have a nice list like the one I posted above for my current computer, but I can at least list the parts!

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A LGA1151
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7 GHz
GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO Radeon R9 380 4G
RAM: [Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 3000] - ordered
PSU: [EVGA 450 BT, 80+ Bronze 450W] - ordered

We tried out Minecraft on it, just because that's a game I'm super familiar with how it runs on my current PC, and cranked every setting all the way up to max. While he was fretting about minor performance issues (compared with his current PC), meanwhile I was just majorly goggling at how FAST everything was loading, and how SMOOTHLY it ran. I think I've just adapted to playing with horrible lag, I guess, because my brain was having trouble processing how nicely it was playing, and how fast it was rendering. :wow:

So, it looks like I've got a "new" computer now. :lol: I tried to offer him money a couple of times, but he refused and said that he had no use for those parts anyways, and was happy they were going to a good home. ^_^

There's a side-story to all this as well that I didn't mention yet: For the past couple of months, I've been playing a fantastic little game called (literally) "PC Building Simulator". While there are a lot of aspects of building a PC that are simplified because video game, it does use actual real-world computer components, and has been absolutely A+ in teaching me not just what all the computer parts are and what they're for (which I already sort of knew), but how they all interact with each other (such as making sure the motherboard will support the CPU and amount of RAM you want to stick into it), and what parts are the most important for different tasks (I've found it typically comes down to CPU and GPU, with RAM sometimes being an important factor). 

This matters because when BrotherBoot and I were putting the "new" computer together, not only did I KNOW what all the parts were and how to assemble everything (he kindly let me put it together myself, even though I could tell he was dying to just do it himself lol), I could carry my end of the conversation regarding things like SLI and HDMI and PSUs and the importance of cable management.

It was very exciting, and I could tell he really enjoyed being able to discuss things with me at a higher technical level than before, and that I could ask relevant clarifying questions and not have him need to then explain the answer.

So, I guess the moral of this lengthy story is: Yay video games! :bday: :lol:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 17

1 hour ago, TGP said:

OK. I’ll bite. Whyyyyy?

>>> carefully ignores paganmegan <<<

<_<

Perhaps..? But... In the **style of Jeopardy...

Hide contents

What is emoticon number 23?

=====>>> :grr:  :grr: <<<=====

...to be clear, I am **not annoyed or distressed at all. 

I meant as the Like emoji, when reacting to a post, not the ones when making a post. :grr:

In this case to share outrage. Ellison was being an broccoli. Sexual assault isn't funny. It wasn't funny with Al Frankin and it wasn't funny with Harlan Ellison.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Yay, it's Friday! The temperature is going to be in the mid 90's though; definitely not a fan of that.

Yeah....I have a bunch of outdoor performances this weekend. The audiences will have shade, but we actors? Not so much. This heat wave is not my friend.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 7

33 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Y'all are all doing stuff with your cherries, meanwhile I'm over here just devouring them raw :lol:

I almost came home with some cherries, but the ones at the store were all bruised up.. At least the first few packs I looked at.  I'll have to check other stores today, because I suspect hubby would love some, and if somehow he doesn't, well then more for me! 

-----

@OneBoot I'm surprised it's only 8GB of ram, but I'm apparently usually at least a full step ahead of most (trend was 4GB, I had 8, when it bumped up to 8GB I had 16, and my next rig will have 32-64GB but I'll also be doing photo and video editing)... Oh, it was parts he just had lying around, nice. 

If you don't have one already, a solid state hard drive can make it feel even faster, since games load 2-2.5x faster on them - really handy on some games like Final Fantasy XIV where the change can be upwards of 20 seconds faster. 

That's an epic upgrade to say the least! 

• Like 6

Congrats on the new PC Boot. Mine desktop is coming up on 11 years old. I really need to build a new one, but I'm resisting because I'm poor and I hate spending money on a computer that will only be used to play old Baldur's Gate Games and Skyrim. 

We're in the hot part of the summer here too. I imagine we've got at least a month and some change of 90 plus actual temps and 100 plus heat index to look forward to before it starts cooling off. 

• Like 7

For all the wolfs on the forum:

IMG_2549.JPG.6b337e1e2876277ece92b5379b7ec909.JPG

52 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

It has begun.

100_0948.JPG.a152421e56ea3565d85adf0245d6c614.JPG

Off one of the Big Moon vines, haven't seen any others, but it's still early yet and the bees chased me off when I began moving leaves to peer into the undergrowth. 

The Pumpkining has begun! All hail the Pumpkin! 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Why is it that the people with all of the bumper stickers/signs/whatever telling others to drive safely are the ones who are driving like idiots?

• Like 2
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Y'all are all doing stuff with your cherries, meanwhile I'm over here just devouring them raw :lol:

One for me, one for the pot.

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

You Barbarian!

I got 5 kg so I had to make jam, and cakes and couflati and put a lot on alcohol.

Cherries are the fruits of the Gods, sooooo goooodddd!!!

Also, we have some very nice blackberry bushes nearby, soon, soon I will pick blackberries and make jam out of those..

Hmmmm....

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Why is it that the people with all of the bumper stickers/signs/whatever telling others to drive safely are the ones who are driving like idiots?

Either they think that everyone drives like they do, but only they should be allowed to drive that way, or (more likely), they think they're driving really well and all the problems are caused by the idiots on the road with them.

All skiers are "intermediate" and all drivers are "above average". Just ask them.

• Like 11

45 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

:lol: So I was chatting with my BrotherBoot the other day about computers (he really likes to mess around with building economy rigs), and I was telling him about my old potato* desktop gaming computer. He was curious what the specs were, so I dug around in my Dropbox folder until I came across a hardware list that Steam had gathered 2 years ago.

*"Potato PC" generally refers to a computer with the bare minimum specs (often under minimum) needed to run a particular task/game. It generally can't play games with high quality settings, and does poorly when trying to run current popular games.

Warning: lengthy technical discussion of various computer hardware things follows :upside:

I'd always had a vague understanding that parts of my computer were old, but it wasn't until he started making sounds of physical pain while looking over the list that I discovered just how outdated it was, lol. My CPU is over a decade old, and my motherboard is not much younger! The graphics card is only about 7 years old, though, which surprised me; I have no memory of MrBoot replacing it, but apparently he did so at some point.

For those who are curious:

Hide contents

Note: some info has been removed for brevity

Computer Information:
    Manufacturer:  BIOSTAR Group
    Model:  TA785GE 128M
    Form Factor: Desktop

Processor Information:
    CPU Vendor:  AuthenticAMD
    CPU Brand:  AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
    CPU Family:  0xf
    CPU Model:  0x43
    CPU Stepping:  0x3
    CPU Type:  0x0
    Speed:  3000 Mhz
    2 logical processors
    2 physical processors
    HyperThreading:  Unsupported
    FCMOV:  Supported
    SSE2:  Supported
    SSE3:  Supported
    CMPXCHG16B:  Supported
    LAHF/SAHF:  Supported
    PrefetchW:  Supported

Video Card:
    Driver:  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti
    DirectX Driver Name:  nvd3dum.dll
    Driver Version:  22.21.13.8494
    DirectX Driver Version:  22.21.13.8494
    Driver Date: 7 18 2017
    OpenGL Version: 4.5
    Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
    DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti
    VendorID:  0x10de
    DeviceID:  0x11c6
    Revision:  0xa1
    Number of Monitors:  1
    Number of Logical Video Cards:  1
    No SLI or Crossfire Detected
    Primary Display Resolution:  1280 x 1024
    Desktop Resolution: 1280 x 1024
    Primary Display Size: 17.80" x 14.21" (22.76" diag)
                                            45.2cm x 36.1cm (57.8cm diag)
    Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
    Primary VRAM: 1024 MB
    Supported MSAA Modes:  2x 4x 8x

Sound card:
    Audio device: Speakers (SB Audigy)

Memory:
    RAM:  8191 Mb

Then BrotherBoot and I decided to have some fun benchmarking it, just out of morbid curiosity. The results are actually pretty funny:

Hide contents

662010225_Passmarkbench07-19-19.jpg.36f45e867c6f692c46065f19da8d01b2.jpg

Aw, my poor old computer. :blush: I mean, my PC was really pretty decent when it was put together, and it's generally functioned well over the years. It's just...old.

New computer hardware:

Hide contents

I don't have a nice list like the one I posted above for my current computer, but I can at least list the parts!

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A LGA1151
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7 GHz
GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO Radeon R9 380 4G
RAM: [Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 3000] - ordered
PSU: [EVGA 450 BT, 80+ Bronze 450W] - ordered

There's a side-story to all this as well that I didn't mention yet: For the past couple of months, I've been playing a fantastic little game called (literally) "PC Building Simulator". While there are a lot of aspects of building a PC that are simplified because video game, it does use actual real-world computer components, and has been absolutely A+ in teaching me not just what all the computer parts are and what they're for (which I already sort of knew), but how they all interact with each other (such as making sure the motherboard will support the CPU and amount of RAM you want to stick into it), and what parts are the most important for different tasks (I've found it typically comes down to CPU and GPU, with RAM sometimes being an important factor). 

Hoo boy. I feel old thinking about that CPU. Because I had one of that series(64 x2 5400+ Black Edition, IIRC) when I first moved into my house in 2010. And it was second hand, because it was already about 2 generations behind, but I couldn't afford to upgrade to the latest and greatest like I wanted to. I managed to get one further upgrade in before real life took over and I haven't put anything new in that PC in about 8 years. And even then, that upgrade was to something that wasn't the best then either.

I've wanted to build a brand new rig ever since, but real life keeps getting in the way. Well, that and my inability to keep my mind focused on one thing, and the fact that I'm actually enjoying being a console gamer again because it doesn't require me to make big purchases on parts every other year to keep up.

19 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

@OneBoot I'm surprised it's only 8GB of ram, but I'm apparently usually at least a full step ahead of most (trend was 4GB, I had 8, when it bumped up to 8GB I had 16, and my next rig will have 32-64GB but I'll also be doing photo and video editing)... Oh, it was parts he just had lying around, nice. 

If you don't have one already, a solid state hard drive can make it feel even faster, since games load 2-2.5x faster on them - really handy on some games like Final Fantasy XIV where the change can be upwards of 20 seconds faster. 

I second the SSD. It is, by far, the biggest performance upgrade you'll get out of a modern PC. You make it your primary boot drive, put the games and software you use the most on it, and then use a regular hard drive for bulk storage of stuff like pictures, movies, and infrequent software. They're a bit pricey still, especially for the good ones, but they were approaching parity with HDDs in the 500gb range last time I paid any attention. Beyond that is where prices start to go a lot higher.

And I'll also second a bump to 16gb of RAM when/if you can. RAM isn't the absolute game changer it used to be, but these days it's still a big deal when you don't have enough of it. And with the way that programming priorities have shifted from "tweak it to be as lean as you can get it" to "put it out as fast as possible" there's a lot of stuff that eats way more resources than it should, with RAM being a big one. Even my $450 laptop that I got almost 3 years ago came stock with 8gb, which tells you that it's now considered to be near bare-minimum level. Seeing as how you mentioned Minecraft, that game has forever been a RAM hog, ever since its earliest days.

That said, congrats on your new rig! Beats the pants off my now ancient AMD Phenom II x6 with 4gb of DDR2 RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 5750(this was before AMD killed the ATI brand even!). Eventually I'll get around to building a new rig. But not until I've got about $2000 laying around, because I'm going to need to go from the ground up and include new monitors. Yes, monitorS. I have 2 on my current rig, one of which is a wonderful old 19" CRT, and I don't think I can ever go back to being single monitor. And when I get my new monitors, they're going to be two, or three, of those 27+" ultra wide IPS panels. Because I want my color accuracy and my screen space!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I was quoting Isaac Asimov - himself a lifelong New Yorker. ::P:

Asimov’s endorsement of character is not a plus, in my estimation.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I probably should have mentioned that this is going to be a "temporary upgrade" computer; MrBoot was very much planning to celebrate me finishing my schooling in a few months with a shiny new high-mid range PC, but us suddenly having a bunch of big expenses due to moving sort of drove a coach and horses through that plan. He's been very clear that he's very grateful to BrotherBoot for doing this, but that he wants me to know that he is still planning to get/build me a sweet new PC. ^_^ 

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

The 8 gb was my decision, due to us having to be careful about money for the next few months, and will be a temporary state; once the dust settles, I plan to get another stick of the exact same kind. Same thing with an SSD - definitely planned, but not immediately necessary to make the computer function (unlike the PSU and at least some RAM).

48 minutes ago, Loim said:

Congrats on the new PC Boot. Mine desktop is coming up on 11 years old. I really need to build a new one, but I'm resisting because I'm poor and I hate spending money on a computer that will only be used to play old Baldur's Gate Games and Skyrim. 

I hear that; MrBoot and I don't get new tech very often, but when we do we try to go for mid to high-range quality so it'll last another good long while. Replacing electronics is a pain, and usually an expensive one.

12 minutes ago, Unruly said:

I second the SSD. It is, by far, the biggest performance upgrade you'll get out of a modern PC. You make it your primary boot drive, put the games and software you use the most on it, and then use a regular hard drive for bulk storage of stuff like pictures, movies, and infrequent software.

Yep, that's the plan! MrBoot has that exact type of setup, and he loves it. His computer boots so fast, and runs the few games he has on it beautifully. ^_^ 

24 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Seeing as how you mentioned Minecraft, that game has forever been a RAM hog, ever since its earliest days.

Oh yes, very much so, it's still a badly optimized mess under the hood even after all these years lol. The ironic thing about the PC Building Simulator game I mentioned is that it's also a pretty bad resource hog, more than I'd expect for what the game actually does. I'm looking forward to seeing drastic improvements when I play it on my new rig. :lol: But yeah, I've absolutely noticed an increase in RAM hogging in the past several years.

26 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Eventually I'll get around to building a new rig. But not until I've got about $2000 laying around, because I'm going to need to go from the ground up and include new monitors. Yes, monitorS.

Mmm yes, dual monitors is absolutely in my future computer plan. I've had two monitors in a couple different jobs, and it's lovely. :wub:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 9

@TheAuldGrump I don't care for the Zappa version. Not really much of a Zappa fan in general. I do quite like the Mann version, but lately I have been listening to the Dylan version quite a bit. But I'm a bit biased toward Dylan. He's one of the few musicians that I know that the cover is often better than the original. I usually enjoy the original too. Kind of like Bruce Springsteen and The Band. I love both versions of Atlantic City, but I have a special place in my heart for Levon Helm since he was an Arkansas boy. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Actually being able to sing probably helps a little, too.::D:

Yay, it's Friday! The temperature is going to be in the mid 90's though; definitely not a fan of that.

No, it just means you stick to punk and folk. ::P:

58 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Asimov’s endorsement of character is not a plus, in my estimation.

Is there a story there?

Inquiring minds want to know! ^_^

• Like 6