Jump to content

Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

No, it just means you stick to punk and folk. ::P:

 

If it’s the 90s doesn’t that mean he should stick to grunge?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Loim said:

But I'm a bit biased toward Dylan. He's one of the few musicians that I know that the cover is often better than the original.

 

:ik_oops:

 

Opinions obviously vary. He is an amazing songwriter.

 

And as a singer, he is ... an amazing songwriter.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pingo said:

 

 

Asimov’s endorsement of character is not a plus, in my estimation.

 

 

6 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

No, it just means you stick to punk and folk. ::P:

Is there a story there?

 

Inquiring minds want to know! ^_^

 

I cannot speak to @Pingo's opinions, but I know my mother has remarked on not liking him for the way he behaved towards women at parties back in the '60's.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Is there a story there?

 

Inquiring minds want to know! ^_^

 

Ehhh, just that Asimov was part of that merry band of gropers, assaulters, and jokesters who made the science fiction profession and fandom so miserable for women and girls for so long. His vouching for someone’s character counts for less than nothing.

 

To quote Jim C. Hines,

Quote

 

author Isaac Asimov’s proclivity for groping women was so widely known that in 1961, the chair of Chicon III wrote a letter inviting him to give a lecture on “The Power of Posterior Pinching.”

 

Marcus Ranum recalls confronting Asimov at a Worldcon some 30 years ago, after Asimov groped his girlfriend in an elevator. The convention kicked Ranum out. In their view, the true crime wasn’t Asimov’s harassment, but Ranum’s complaint about it.

 

 

 

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I can say is that I am VERY old fashioned, someone gropes my wife they will be picking up their teeth.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

 

:ik_oops:

 

Opinions obviously vary. He is an amazing songwriter.

 

And as a singer, he is ... an amazing songwriter.

Grump has at least two songs about that. <_<

  • Haha 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About thirty years ago, interestingly enough, was when I gave up on science fiction fandom and conventions because the groping culture made me so uncomfortable.

 

... Only to come back a few years later when PingosHusband’s book won some awards and garnered attention. Attending cons as a pro, or at least as the family of a pro, was a lot safer.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pingo said:

 

Ehhh, just that Asimov was part of that merry band of gropers, assaulters, and jokesters who made the science fiction profession and fandom so miserable for women and girls for so long. His vouching for someone’s character counts for less than nothing.

 

To quote Jim C. Hines,

 

 

I love Jim Hines, have ever seen his super heroine cover poses - as done by a pudgy male? :lol:

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PaganMegan said:

I love Jim Hines, have ever seen his super heroine cover poses - as done by a pudgy male? :lol:

 

He’s a total sweetheart irl and he’s super supportive.

 

Have you read “Terminal Alliance,” the first book in his Janitors of the Apocalypse series? It’s hilarious.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pingo said:

 

 

Asimov’s endorsement of character is not a plus, in my estimation.

 

 

"Gosh, aren't I a rascal! And I've written LOTS OF BOOKS!"

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Gaming and fan conventions somtimes still have the groping culture. One of the few times I have seen Grump come the thug was at PortCon, when I was groped.

 

Grump doesn't do bluster, he does SCARY. Better than anyone I know.

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Pingo said:

About thirty years ago, interestingly enough, was when I gave up on science fiction fandom and conventions because the groping culture made me so uncomfortable.

 

... Only to come back a few years later when PingosHusband’s book won some awards and garnered attention. Attending cons as a pro, or at least as the family of a pro, was a lot safer.

 

There is no way to both like a post (for safer attendance and PingosHusband's writing) and dislike a post (for awful history).

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going through some work photos in the office from traveling the last few days. We are using an older camera of dubious photographic quality, but every now and again we still manage to capture a neat picture. This is from yesterday morning hiking along a restored pipeline cut to assess the quality of their mitigation work. The fog was pretty thick and helped create a kind of otherworldly feel to what would normally just be hiking through corn fields. 

 

P1190851.thumb.JPG.607cf122d2e5b82aee79ceb81a7d52a2.JPG

  • Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×