Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

29 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Rough night last night.

Lucy had a seizure at around 2:15, and then another at 6. She's been at the emergency vet since then. She's 13, and... And I'm really worried.

And I'm currently sitting at work, being rather unproductive. Waiting for a call. The very said no news is good news, so... Yay... 

Oh no, I'm so sorry.

Hopefully your vet will be able to stabilise her. Sending good vibes to both of you. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Rough night last night.

Lucy had a seizure at around 2:15, and then another at 6. She's been at the emergency vet since then. She's 13, and... And I'm really worried.

And I'm currently sitting at work, being rather unproductive. Waiting for a call. The very said no news is good news, so... Yay... 

Hoping that Lucy will be okay, I love that dog. ::(:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Unruly said:
14 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Wow... I am way out of practice with drinking - I had one pint at the karaoke, and it is nappy time!

Just before I went on, Megan turned to me and said: Hulk? Smash.

So, I grunted affirmative, and made my choice.

'Cause you'll not seen nothin' like the Mighty Quinn.

Fun, easily within my range, and I know it front to back.

And I did indeed smash.* ::D: (Paid for the drinks, dinner, and a bit left over for a seat at the movies. ::): )

I sounded absolutely nothing like Dylan, Mann, or Zappa. (Give me the Manfred Mann version, any day.)

You know it's going well when the rest of the folks in the bar start clapping along.

No driving for either of us, Megan's mum dropped us off and picked us up.

The secret to karaoke - know the song, fit the range, and unlock your inner ham.

I used to hate karaoke - but Megan needed a partner to make sure she got home after drinking, and make sure she didn't have too many. Eventually... I learned to relax - and stopped winning. ::P: (This is my first karaoke win since before we were married.) This is also the first time I have been both competitive and relaxed. Pretty much singing it right to Megan.

The first time I won, at least in a pub - not on Jon and Julie's karaoke machine - the song was Secret Agent Man. I guess karaoke me is stuck in the sixties.

Frankly, while I usually won on Jon and Julie's machine... I was more than a wee bit of a broccoli. <_<

Their machine measures how close you are to the music of the original, not how much others are enjoying your singing. So, I was winning on technical singing, not getting into the proper spirit of drunken revelry.

But I have gotten better about that - J&J are allowing me Camelot and other show tunes again. (I once won with a twisted version of These Are A Few of My Favorite Things... as Peter Lorre. Like I said, I was more than a bit of a jerk. 'Strange ticking packages, tied up with strings'....)

The Auld Grump - I would be willing to bet that Brigid will like my ripoff of The Sound of Music. ::P:

* And got smashed, my tolerance for booze seems to have fled me entire.

The closest I ever came to doing karaoke for real was in my late teens, playing Counter-Strike on a series of servers that I was a regular on, and frequently an administrator as well so I had access to the alltalk settings. I used to break out in Queen's "I Want to Break Free" or "Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy" every now and again. Of course, I'm tone deaf and nowhere near Freddie Mercury, so it was never great, but the other regulars would all join in. Also, at the time, Rick Rolling was at its height of popularity, so I'd bust that one out every now and again.

But I was always safe behind a screen, usually with no one other than my mom at the house. I tried singing for my then-girlfriend, who was a soprano in the school choir, and she said I'm pretty consistently a half step off key or something like that, and she couldn't stand to have me sing because of it.

Y'know, Twitch has a Karaoke thing now; it's called Twitch Sings, and it can be mucked with offline.

This has been your random trivia of the day...

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Okay I'm playing Total Warhammer II and now I KNOW there must have been a Dutch programmer who worked on it.

Some names : Lizardman Hero - Geef 'eten Dutch for Feed me!

Lizardman Hero - Qo op eraf - Pronounced In Dutch Kop Er Af means Head Off

Goblin Hero - Blazkaak  - Pronounced in Dutch Blaaskaak means an Arrogant person.

I think there are more.

These are linguistic jokes.

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

Meanwhile in India....

After escaping from a heavily flooded National Park, this tigress decided that the best place to get some rest was in someones bed ::D:

image.png.c404b62d4eedf04fefd13cdfa0606f8f.png

image.png.c1e73672ae46bffaac5009fbc0f52d73.png

Thankfully, the human residents decided to let sleeping tigers lie and she was eventually persuaded to head back to the wild. Full story in the link

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-49041722

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

And now Iran seems to have seized a second tanker sailing under Lebanese Flag.

• Sad 7

8 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Why is it that the people with all of the bumper stickers/signs/whatever telling others to drive safely are the ones who are driving like idiots?

Because subconsciously they recognize their poor driving skills and are hoping everyone else on the road will up their game enough that they won't be involved in an accident that they are most likely the cause of.

GEM

• Like 7

6 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

No, it just means you stick to punk and folk. ::P:

Is there a story there?

Inquiring minds want to know! ^_^

IMO it was Asimov giving Ellison a backhand slap.

Asimov, being a New Yorker, knew the people and what World Class Elf Hats "New Yorkers" , the hard core, hard boiled, City People can be and without even making an effort, be as abrasive as possible.

GEM

• Like 7

Just finished "helping" my son to replace the pull cord on our lawnmower. Neither of us had done it before, so it was one of those, "Let's start taking things apart until we figure this out" deals. This isn't really my son's comfort area, so it ended up being something of a teaching opportunity for troubleshooting and repair. Half an hour, one dirty set of clothes, and some paracord later, and it works fine.

Which would have been more fun if it were less than 100° and not a cloud in the sky, but there you go. ^_^

• Like 12
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Pingo said:

Ehhh, just that Asimov was part of that merry band of gropers, assaulters, and jokesters who made the science fiction profession and fandom so miserable for women and girls for so long. His vouching for someone’s character counts for less than nothing.

To quote Jim C. Hines,

I did not know this, but it is not entirely a surprise - the fandom took a toxic turn that it has not recovered from, though there is progress.

Leading to wonderful things like NAMBLA (or Why Grump No Longer Reads Marion Zimmer Bradley).

Gamergate was just an extension of already inherent thread of *BLEEP!*ery in the community.

A few years ago, when Megan and I went to a local anime, fantasy, and SF convention, one of the merry convention goers felt free to, well, get handsy with Megan's derriere while in an elevator. Seldom have I felt a greater urge to slam the back of someone's head into an elevator wall.

I am pretty sure I made my opinion known, he spent the rest of the trip pressed against the far wall, and crossed the halls when he saw us coming from that point on.

But we have been conspicuously absent from PortCon ever since.

I don't think I actually said a word to the lackwit. (Teens, but old enough to know better. Hell, Brigid is old enough to know better.)

It sounds like you and I faded out of fandom at around the same time. In D&D terms, too many people with high Int and low Wis.

The Auld Grump

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Because subconsciously they recognize their poor driving skills and are hoping everyone else on the road will up their game enough that they won't be involved in an accident that they are most likely the cause of.

GEM

Based on the data from Forza Motorsport I am an excellent driver when presented with no traffic and a clear LoS at 150 mph plus.  

I keep saying I could get us to Reapercon wayyyy faster, but for some stoopid reason Guindy would rather not.    

• Haha 13
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I did not know this, but it is not entirely a surprise - the fandom took a toxic turn that it has not recovered from, though there is progress.

Leading to wonderful things like NAMBLA (or Why Grump No Longer Reads Marion Zimmer Bradley).

Do NOT get me started on Marion Zimmer Bradley. I would say more, but Ladystorm or someone would just lop it off and chide me for poor judgment and creative use of expletives.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6