Jump to content

Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Recommended Posts

98 degrees, feels like 108 outside. :zombie:

 

Tomorrow is supposed to be the same. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, haldir said:

 

Oddly, this side of the states has stay relatively cool so far this July. We are in the 90s but it doesn't feel hot. Granted that will change after this weekend as it's suppose to go into the 100s by Monday. Ughhhh, oh well at least vacation weeks have been nice as far as temps. I've got 3+ nights left of vacation left.

Currently enjoying the cooler side of our summer weather cycle.

Temps topping out in the low 90s,gentle wind, and low humidity.

GEM

Without a wet palette painting would be near impossible.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Crowley said:

98 degrees, feels like 108 outside. :zombie:

 

Just to make yah feel worse:

 

86 degrees (18% humidty) here

 

Wow, Bones mummies (#77144) Bend it like Beckham trio!!! Very flexi materials used in these.

 

2 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Without a wet palette painting would be near impossible.

 

I can paint here but upstairs where my hobby room is, wet palette helps tremendously. I need to get mine out again & work with it again. Masterson brand, bought it last year, I didn't have much luck with it. Practice, practice, practice!!!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SparrowMarie said:

Should probably get on my computer to work on the blog now that I have some photos for it. But I should also be painting for Monday. BUT I need to be cleaning and doing yard work. Bluh.

 

ETA: Anyone know of commercial paintbrush grips are a thing? Like not brushes with grips on them but grips like you'd put on a pencil.

 

Unlike GEM I have only seen the kind meant for pencils. 

 

Found this where other people were discussing the problem:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603050

 

They were considering bigger brushes ... Bob Ross scale let’s say. But I saw potentially two useful ideas. 

 

1) Tennis racket handle wraps. 

 

2) Repurposing a sportsball:

190342-tennis-paint.jpg

 

Notes 1) The Great River has many different kinds and colors of tennis racket tape, tennis racket grip tape, etc. One roll would do a whole collection of brushes for  meant for minis I’m thinking. (This is not far from the @Gadgetman! Idea, but with tape made to be gripped instead of nasty ole duct tape. )

 

Notes 2) Some smaller type of ball for a smaller brush perhaps. Are racquet balls hollow?

 

3) Maddak dot Com. 

handaids_builtup.jpg

They have ^ several different grip enhancing product lines. (I think those are brushes next to the fork.)

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, y'all! I mentioned it in my blog I need to post and editor thought it'd be a neat idea for it's own post so I wasn't sure if there was such a thing that existed on a commercial scale.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If cushy-ness is not important I had a fourth idea. Plastic pipettes. This will involve raiding a Starbucks for those plastic stirring straws they have.  And superglue. 

 

4) Build up the thickness of the brush handle with plastic straws. Start with thin ones meant for coffee stirrers. Slit the straw along its length. Dot of glue inside. Snap over the handle. Repeat numerous times. Graduate to thicker drinking straws as thickness increases. 

 

5) Put a cushion pencil grip on a Bic pen barrel. Remove unneeded ink cartridge. Slide the brush handle inside the Bic pen barrel. Combine these items frogciddentally. (Broken pen parts, superglue, green stuff, and common pencil grips are all your friends.)

 

Edited by TGP
Idea 5
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

.7A773AB9-3A04-4D4E-A266-0F2EEBACEA9E.jpeg.9d39c45e2b5faeb01c1787c5d6db93e9.jpeg

A new preview for the upcoming Picard series is up on you tube.

Not posting a link cause they seem to be country specific, but one of my favourite Star Trek characters makes an unexpected appearance.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gadgetman! said:

 

I wasn't joking about this. 

Just wrap the tape around the shaft a couple of times, and if you need a specific shape, just build them up by adding pieces of tape, toothpicks or anything else you happen to have laying about.   

 

 

I prefer gaffer's tape for everything that I used to use duck tape for except waterproofing (which is what it was designed for). Better surface texture and it peels off with minimal residue. It is more expensive.

 

1 hour ago, haldir said:

I can paint here but upstairs where my hobby room is, wet palette helps tremendously. I need to get mine out again & work with it again. Masterson brand, bought it last year, I didn't have much luck with it. Practice, practice, practice!!!

 

If you're using the Masterson paper, I'd recommend switching to Reynolds Baking Parchment. The Masterson paper seems to be engineered for heavier body artists paints and I find it too permeable for thinner miniatures paints.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Why is The Grump doing this?

Seven on Seven on Seven..... is a shortcut to burnout.

BTDT

GEM

BD related expenses.

 

But I can see him burning out.

 

He SAYS he will be dropping back to normal hours after the retreat, and he IS taking off most of that week.

 

But that is another month away.

 

That's why I dragged him to the karaoke, poured drink into him and set him loose. He needed it. I didn't expect him to win, I just wanted him to get out of his shell a bit.

 

Hearing him belting out The Mighty Quinn like a blues singer was awesome. He's an extrovert, and he needed the energy. I don't know who he was channeling, but he wowed the bar.

 

He's due home about now, I keep expecting a call about heart attack or stroke.

 

And I am putting this here where I KNOW he will see it. :angry:

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1am here, and the printer doing the last layer right now. 

Time to clean the prints, then hit the sack. 

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, haldir said:

 

Just to make yah feel worse:

 

86 degrees (18% humidty) here

 

Wow, Bones mummies (#77144) Bend it like Beckham trio!!! Very flexi materials used in these.

 

 

I can paint here but upstairs where my hobby room is, wet palette helps tremendously. I need to get mine out again & work with it again. Masterson brand, bought it last year, I didn't have much luck with it. Practice, practice, practice!!!

Mine is homemade.

An old metal cosmetics case with a piece of thin sponge cut to fit and parchment paper cut from a kitchen roll.

Serves my humble needs quite nicely.

GEM

1 hour ago, TGP said:

 

Unlike GEM I have only seen the kind meant for pencils. 

 

Found this where other people were discussing the problem:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603050

 

They were considering bigger brushes ... Bob Ross scale let’s say. But I saw potentially two useful ideas. 

 

1) Tennis racket handle wraps. 

 

2) Repurposing a sportsball:

190342-tennis-paint.jpg

 

Notes 1) The Great River has many different kinds and colors of tennis racket tape, tennis racket grip tape, etc. One roll would do a whole collection of brushes for  meant for minis I’m thinking. (This is not far from the @Gadgetman! Idea, but with tape made to be gripped instead of nasty ole duct tape. )

 

Notes 2) Some smaller type of ball for a smaller brush perhaps. Are racquet balls hollow?

 

3) Maddak dot Com. 

handaids_builtup.jpg

They have ^ several different grip enhancing product lines. (I think those are brushes next to the fork.)

I blew up the picture of the grip enhancers and those look like what I tried.

I think I found them at Michaels.

Stuck 'em in a drawer and now don't remember where they are.

GEM

45 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

 

I prefer gaffer's tape for everything that I used to use duck tape for except waterproofing (which is what it was designed for). Better surface texture and it peels off with minimal residue. It is more expensive.

 

 

If you're using the Masterson paper, I'd recommend switching to Reynolds Baking Parchment. The Masterson paper seems to be engineered for heavier body artists paints and I find it too permeable for thinner miniatures paints.

I just checked the roll I've been using.

The packaging looks a lot like what Reynolds comes in but the box has the Costco house brand label, Kirkland, on it.

As I said, it serves my humble needs quite satisfactorily.

GEM

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:
  Reveal hidden contents

.7A773AB9-3A04-4D4E-A266-0F2EEBACEA9E.jpeg.9d39c45e2b5faeb01c1787c5d6db93e9.jpeg

A new preview for the upcoming Picard series is up on you tube.

Not posting a link cause they seem to be country specific, but one of my favourite Star Trek characters makes an unexpected appearance.

Whuuuuuh?  She learned how to dress for, uh, uhm....  Well, in a way that's still lovely, but not like... In your face twins.

 

Blargh, wound up putting some sort of reference to such in there anyways, oh well.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was a little disappointed that I misread a vanity plate.

 

Thought it said WERERAT.

 

It said WHRFRAT.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pingo said:

Was a little disappointed that I misread a vanity plate.

 

Thought it said WERERAT.

 

It said WHRFRAT.

Which might be the incognito disguise  of a real and truly WereRat that hangs around the Dockside.

You get some might peculiar creatures around the dock side, especially where the trade ships put in.

GEM

  • Like 3
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have watched the new Picard trailer probably close to a dozen times. :wub:  Hugh! 7/9!! Data!!! 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×