Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

3 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

BD related expenses.

But I can see him burning out.

He SAYS he will be dropping back to normal hours after the retreat, and he IS taking off most of that week.

But that is another month away.

That's why I dragged him to the karaoke, poured drink into him and set him loose. He needed it. I didn't expect him to win, I just wanted him to get out of his shell a bit.

Hearing him belting out The Mighty Quinn like a blues singer was awesome. He's an extrovert, and he needed the energy. I don't know who he was channeling, but he wowed the bar.

He's due home about now, I keep expecting a call about heart attack or stroke.

And I am putting this here where I KNOW he will see it. :angry:

Our argument went kind of like this-

Megan: You will go back to taking either Friday or Saturday off! :angry:

Me: Okay. :down:

Our general manager at work is back from her vacation, so even though we are still a bit short handed, it is no longer crucial.

The main reason I was taking the extra hours - aside from just that I could - was a minor medical emergency for Brigid, a few months ago, and to pay for Megan's classes at MeCA.

Blood pressure actually doing okay - elevated, but no longer dangerously so.

But, yeah, I actually enjoyed the karaoke this time, maybe because I was a wee bit tightly wound.

Gods willing and the crik don't rise, I should get to sleep pretty early tonight - the game reached a natural break point, so we chivied everyone home. ::):

The Auld Grump

• Like 13

5 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:
  Reveal hidden contents

.7A773AB9-3A04-4D4E-A266-0F2EEBACEA9E.jpeg.9d39c45e2b5faeb01c1787c5d6db93e9.jpeg

A new preview for the upcoming Picard series is up on you tube.

Not posting a link cause they seem to be country specific, but one of my favourite Star Trek characters makes an unexpected appearance.

One of my favourite parts of the entire trailer.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

So my mom came this weekend to check out new apartments for me...and we found one! Yay!

This evening, we were looking at the floor plan and starting to plan it out, and I asked what I'd do with my big minis. My mom's answer was that we could worry about that as soon as I actually finished one... she may have hit the nail on the head with that one.

In other news - I get a room devoted to hobbying <3

You always have an extradimensional pocket to crash at if you ever need to. ^_^

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

If you're using the Masterson paper, I'd recommend switching to Reynolds Baking Parchment. The Masterson paper seems to be engineered for heavier body artists paints and I find it too permeable for thinner miniatures paints.

I've heard about this. Also a cheap dollar store "ShamWow" is also a good replacement for the sponge as well. I didn't get a extra pack of papers so I'll just use what came with the pallet first then switch to Reynolds + nice thing about working grocery, we had some damage Reynolds come in one time & I asked how much for a couple rolls & my manager said "oh a quarter". ::):

• Like 10

94 F and 70% humidity today... Yay me. :zombie:

Gonna be 99 tomorrow. :rolleyes:

In other news, anybody got an old '90's-era IBM with two floppy drives that I can borrow?

Found this at the Goodwill (complete with map, books and all assorted secondary paperwork and inserts) the other day.... 

SSI4281.jpg

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, haldir said:

I've heard about this. Also a cheap dollar store "ShamWow" is also a good replacement for the sponge as well. I didn't get a extra pack of papers so I'll just use what came with the pallet first then switch to Reynolds + nice thing about working grocery, we had some damage Reynolds come in one time & I asked how much for a couple rolls & my manager said "oh a quarter". ::):

The Sham Wow makes sense as it is a synthetic chamois.

Thankee kindly for the tip.

GEM

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

The Sham Wow makes sense as it is a synthetic chamois.

Thankee kindly for the tip.

GEM

I can't take cred for that one. Thank Rastl, when you see her at RCon this year!! ^_^

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mad Jack said:

94 F and 70% humidity today... Yay me. :zombie:

Gonna be 99 tomorrow.

In other news, anybody got an old '90's-era IBM with two floppy drives that I can borrow?

Found this at the Goodwill (complete with map, books and all assorted secondary paperwork and inserts) the other day.... 

SSI4281.jpg

Nice.

Should be able to run on any modern system in an emulation mode.

The hardest part is going to be finding a system with a working floppy drive.

You might be able to find somebody who can put the whole game on a thumb drive for you since the packaging states it requires 2 floppy drives or a hard drive.

GEM

• Like 6

11 hours ago, haldir said:

I use about six plies of paper towel instead of a sponge. It might not work quite as well (though I don't notice any special difference), but it also means that I don't have to go to extraordinary lengths to keep mold away from the palette. When I'm done with a piece of parchment, the parchment and paper towels all go into the trash and I clean out the palette thoroughly. I also like the fact that the paper is white rather than that obnoxious yellow of the Masterson sponge, but there are other ways to mitigate that.

As to the Masterson paper: When I bought a second palette (that my wife uses now), I picked up an extra package of paper. I still have that package unopened. I might use it if I ever try flat art with artists' tube paints, which is the only reason I haven't just trashed it.

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 9

56 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I asked what I'd do with my big minis. My mom's answer was that we could worry about that as soon as I actually finished one...

Oh snap! Your Mom had that one locked and loaded.

I’ve always found it a bit disturbing when parents try to be clever... and succeed.

20 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Sorry. 

I’ve always been an Apple guy.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

I have watched the new Picard trailer probably close to a dozen times. :wub:  Hugh! 7/9!! Data!!! 

I didn't catch Hugh in there. Don't really care about Seven of Nine, as Voyager just couldn't hold my interest at all. But the fact that they've got Brent Spiner back as Data(or more likely as B-4 with Data's memories) is surprising. Spiner kept that under his hat really well, because he'd been badgered about it a lot since the series was announced.

I would love to see Avery Brooks return as Sisko and continue to hold his grudge against Picard for Wolf 359 and his wife's subsequent death there, but given the ending of DS9 I highly doubt that will happen. And I really, really hope that Colm Meaney comes back as O'Brien at some point. O'Brien is only one of the best characters to ever come out of Star Trek...

1 minute ago, Mad Jack said:

SSI4281.jpg

That box art used to creep me out as a kid of about 6 or 7 when I found it on my dad's game shelf. And the game was impossible for me to figure out. But I credit that box art, and the Skeleton King of the original Diablo for birthing my love of the undead. I've wanted a diorama set of minis of that box art for years now. And skeletons wearing armor always get my attention when I see them.

As for running it, all you need is a single USB floppy drive and an installed copy of DOSbox. You don't need an old 33mhz Pentium with 512kb of EDO RAM and an 256 color ISA video card running MS-DOS 6.0. Because man, those things took time to set up. Remember IRQs? Remember IRQ conflicts and the headaches they caused? Remember having to set dip switches and jumpers on the motherboard because there was no BIOS control of a lot of things?

• Like 9

So I did in fact finish the cookie. For scale, that's a 20 inch paella pan.

cookie1.png.db969b4e0939da2557be0aa236044f61.png

Also for scale, this is all that an entire Pathfinder group could eat over an entire game.

cookie2.png.10c3a2bd3db3b4cd632cff50ac9b87c1.png

Not even half...

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

7 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

So I did in fact finish the cookie. For scale, that's a 20 inch paella pan.

cookie1.png.db969b4e0939da2557be0aa236044f61.png

Also for scale, this is all that an entire Pathfinder group could eat over an entire game.

cookie2.png.10c3a2bd3db3b4cd632cff50ac9b87c1.png

Not even half...

So.......

The Cookie Won?

GEM

• Like 3
  • Haha 10