Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Welp. The heavens have opened buckets here.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Today's project... Gap filling!  I've, uh, apparently been saving up minis for such or something...

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20190721_102248.thumb.jpg.6d348dce4f4c33ff0146f9e8dfcdbfb8.jpg

This his how I roll.

And on the cookie:

It took so long to bake (about half an hour) that all the chocolate chips fell to the bottom of the pan. This is an inch-thick cookie so that made a difference. It differentiated :blink:

I would be in favor of simply using a bag of hersey's kisses instead of chocolate chips next time. That way when they fall to the bottom they're still tall enough to have some height. Might need two bags, I expect to suffer from some serious sampling losses ::P:

• Like 2
  • Haha 15

5 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

This his how I roll.

And on the cookie:

It took so long to bake (about half an hour) that all the chocolate chips fell to the bottom of the pan. This is an inch-thick cookie so that made a difference. It differentiated :blink:

I would be in favor of simply using a bag of hersey's kisses instead of chocolate chips next time. That way when they fall to the bottom they're still tall enough to have some height. Might need two bags, I expect to suffer from some serious sampling losses ::P:

For a real dire cookie, I think rock candy might work better than Kisses. Spiky == dire, and rock candy is very spiky.

For completeness, I'll also mention that if you were to attach licorice whips to the bottom of the completed cookie, you could probably get a reasonable flumph cookie.

Dire flumph cookies are left as an exercise for the student.

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

1 hour ago, Zink said:

We've had 1 48 hour period in the last 3 weeks that it didn't rain. Getting very little work down because of that and breakdowns. It rains almost every evening and in the mornings it is too wet to do much. The last few days have been nice in the afternoons but before that it was over 30 C and they're predicting that again in a couple days. A wicked strong wind went through my farm and destroyed 2 old wooden granaries. Not worried about them as they haven't been used in many years. One is stacked neatly against the side of a solider building that was 15 feet from it. The other kind of exploded and disintegrated all over the place included on my main trail to my fields. Cleared a path through it a couple days ago but need to gather up the rest. Nothing like sowing nail filled boards over a place I drive every day. I'm 2 weeks behind where I was hoping to be and starting to get a little frustrated. In other words a fairly typical summer for me. :rolleyes: 

Just remember to not pop all the bubble wrap until after you unpack. Good luck. Hope it all makes it to Wyoming with no damage.

*sighs* Farming in Saskatchewan.

I would suggest getting one of the magnets on a stick and sweep through the trail, they're handy for finding most of the nails that are covered by dirt and such.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zink said:

A wicked strong wind went through my farm and destroyed 2 old wooden granaries. Not worried about them as they haven't been used in many years. One is stacked neatly against the side of a solider building that was 15 feet from it. The other kind of exploded and disintegrated all over the place included on my main trail to my fields. Cleared a path through it a couple days ago but need to gather up the rest. Nothing like sowing nail filled boards over a place I drive every day. I'm 2 weeks behind where I was hoping to be and starting to get a little frustrated. In other words a fairly typical summer for me. :rolleyes: 

48 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I would suggest getting one of the magnets on a stick and sweep through the trail, they're handy for finding most of the nails that are covered by dirt and such.

And driving through with a car is a great way to find the rest of the nails...   

It may be time to get one of these;

tire_repair_kit.jpg.6886b87bcd15ba19dfe7a66f39d5b9e7.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

caiman-magnetic-sweeper-bluestreak-equip

I don’t understand why this ^ equipment is tow-behind rather than push-ahead but ...... :unsure: rent one?

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Pingo said:

“Also available on 5 1/4” “

:lol:  :wub:

GOG has all three Eye of the Beholder games for $10! ::D:

Already set up for DOS Box! :lol:

Need to check with Grump before buying them, he.may already have them.

Bet I get killed by the beholders a lot, I have forgotten the "dance".

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Unruly said:

Man, I forgot how good marmite on wheat toast is.

Also, my peaches went from fine to mushy mold farms in the span of 16 hours. I ate two yesterday and they were still nice and firm without a speck of mold. I went to grab one today and I was able to salvage just 2 of the ones I had left. And even those ones were mushy to the point of barely being able to hold them without my fingers poking through. It made me sad.

Grump and Grammum like marmite. <_<

They had the jar all to themselves, at a table with eight hungry hobbits. It ALMOST made me hate Guinness.

• Like 7

Mann, I never noticed how cool the detailing is on the brass mounting of our front door knob.

The house is about 130-140 years old. The door hardware is original. I’m doing an exact scale architectural drawing in preparation for using it in a painting. The door is eight feet tall!

The outside hardware is weathered to black. The inside has been gooped over with so much paint it looks like melting wax. <_< But the part with the actual latch in has only one coat of paint on and you can still see the details.

25ACFD2C-F0EA-497D-BFE5-DD3A00B8F03C.thumb.jpeg.63a2c29816214af4152b4163dc0d7636.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Sad 2

39 minutes ago, TGP said:

caiman-magnetic-sweeper-bluestreak-equip

I don’t understand why this ^ equipment is tow-behind rather than push-ahead but ...... :unsure: rent one?

The assumption is that it would be pulled by something generally immune to the type of detritus that would flatten the tires of lesser vehicles.

EDIT: and yes, there are front-mounted ones as well:

image.png.2760b112b09328efabc527dc28474622.png

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 8

14 hours ago, Pingo said:

“Also available on 5 1/4” “

:lol:  :wub:

Once upon a time, I worked on a Tandy - the predecessor of the TRS-80... it had hard sectored 12" floppies....

The Auld Grump

• Like 10

5 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

And this is why I have several different ways of brewing coffee...  Although this morning I can't decide if I want Clever brewed, or Keurig, hmmm...  Eh, might as well be Clever brewed, because I'd love a mug of Honduras coffee.. 

There's a keurig at work. I avoid it in all but the most desperate of circumstances. 

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

Mann, I never noticed how cool the detailing is on the brass mounting of our front door knob.

The house is about 130-140 years old. The door hardware is original. I’m doing an exact scale architectural drawing in preparation for using it in a painting. The door is eight feet tall!

The outside hardware is weathered to black. The inside has been gooped over with so much paint it looks like melting wax. <_< But the part with the actual latch in has only one coat of paint on and you can still see the details.

25ACFD2C-F0EA-497D-BFE5-DD3A00B8F03C.thumb.jpeg.63a2c29816214af4152b4163dc0d7636.jpeg

After I bought my old house, I actually went and stripped paint off of nearly everything, including all the old doors, and the related hardware. It was all beautiful brass, and after I got it all cleaned up, it was stunning. I don't know why anyone would hide it. Sure, you've got to polish it every once in a while, but it's SO worth it. 

Currently 98, feels like 113. Tomorrow's high is 82... Can't wait... 

Slapping paint on some Bones elf ranger types. Nothing fancy, but it's too hot for anything else. Really, I should have just painted up the werewolves, but I figure knocking out a few more Bones 1 minis wouldn't hurt. 

• Like 15

14 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Once upon a time, I worked on a Tandy - the predecessor of the TRS-80... it had hard sectored 12" floppies....

The Auld Grump

I fear that I must correct you slightly...

12" is the same size as LP records and Laserdisks.

As far as I know, there has never been a larger floppy disk format than 8", and that was not ever used by Tandy.

(I can't find a reference to any using anything larer than 5.25", even in the 'business' sytems)

Maybe it used some sort of third-party device such as the Exatron 'string floppy', just weirder?

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Sometimes you need to say farewell to the farm, and take up a life of piracy on the River Saskatchewan!

The Auld Grump

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Yeah, I've got enough old sheds and buildings blowing shingles around it would probably be a good investment. Thinking of getting the scrap metal dealers in to clear out 50 years of my dad's junk. Need room for the equipment I'm killing. A trackhoe and bulldozer would be the best improvement for my yard.

2 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

And driving through with a car is a great way to find the rest of the nails...   

It may be time to get one of these;

tire_repair_kit.jpg.6886b87bcd15ba19dfe7a66f39d5b9e7.jpg

I already have something similar for tubeless tires. Nails in big chloride filled tractor tires is more than I can handle myself and getting them fixed is expensive. 

@TheAuldGrump https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCazLJp2wwk Not a lot of songs about Saskatchewan despite a few really famous singers coming from here. Stompin Tom ain't one of them but he's got songs for everywhere in Canada.

• Like 10