Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

3 minutes ago, Zink said:

Yeah, I've got enough old sheds and buildings blowing shingles around it would probably be a good investment. Thinking of getting the scrap metal dealers in to clear out 50 years of my dad's junk. Need room for the equipment I'm killing. A trackhoe and bulldozer would be the best improvement for my yard.

I already have something similar for tubeless tires. Nails in big chloride filled tractor tires is more than I can handle myself and getting them fixed is expensive. 

@TheAuldGrump https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCazLJp2wwk Not a lot of songs about Saskatchewan despite a few really famous singers coming from here. Stompin Tom ain't one of them but he's got songs for everywhere in Canada.

https://youtu.be/wCTvu1U45kA

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

I fear that I must correct you slightly...

12" is the same size as LP records and Laserdisks.

As far as I know, there has never been a larger floppy disk format than 8", and that was not ever used by Tandy.

(I can't find a reference to any using anything larer than 5.25", even in the 'business' sytems)

Maybe it used some sort of third-party device such as the Exatron 'string floppy', just weirder?

Or, I could be misremembering the size, after mumble-mumble years - it was a Heath-Zenith H8 sold as a kit through Radio Shacks, back in the late 70s. (Tandy owned Radio Shack, Zenith owned Heathkit, they competed but also sometimes sold each other's products. The rebranded H8s were literally relabeled Tandy - a new label glued over the Heath nameplate. ::P:) Might have been an 8 inch drive - the hard sectoring and being big being what stuck in teen age Grump's mind. Definitely bigger than the floppies used on the TRS-80s.

The drive was separate from the computer - as was the keyboard.

It came with a whopping 4K.

There was also a... punch tape reader. <_<

The Auld Grump - there were still some paper tape readers floating around in the early nineties, at a warehousing company in Southern Maine, possibly other places as well.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Sometimes you need to say farewell to the farm, and take up a life of piracy on the River Saskatchewan!

The Auld Grump

Awwww, you didn't link to the original.  Don't get me wrong, the Captain Tractor one does have a nice energy to it, but the Arrogant Worms version is well, the original. ^_^ :devil:

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Awwww, you didn't link to the original.  Don't get me wrong, the Captain Tractor one does have a nice energy to it, but the Arrogant Worms version is well, the original. ^_^ :devil:

I'm kind of partial to this version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVmIBG5dHjI He's the most famous person from my home town and a very nice guy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, Zink said:

I'm kind of partial to this version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVmIBG5dHjI He's the most famous person from my home town and a very nice guy. 

Gorgeous voice...  Such a pity the recording has an annoying artificial "dirty vinyl groove / warped record" added on along the entire thing....  It really detracts from the recording >.>;;;;;;

How am I so certain it's artificial?  If it were because it was a warped record, the pitch and timing would shift slightly over time, instead of remaining waaaay too precise...  Same thing with dust.  Dust in the grooves doesn't repeat at the same frequency.

But man, his voice.  Downright delightful.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, aku-chan said:

I think I've picked an expensive time to start taking an interest in boardgaming, I now have 4 upcoming Kickstarters on my watch list added to the two I'm already backing.

Is it too late to go back to being the blissfully ignorant boob I used to be, where I'd look at these things and think "Those are nifty minis, pity they'll be PVC" and move on?

Yes.

GEM

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Gorgeous voice...  Such a pity the recording has an annoying artificial "dirty vinyl groove / warped record" added on along the entire thing....  It really detracts from the recording >.>;;;;;;

How am I so certain it's artificial?  If it were because it was a warped record, the pitch and timing would shift slightly over time, instead of remaining waaaay too precise...  Same thing with dust.  Dust in the grooves doesn't repeat at the same frequency.

But man, his voice.  Downright delightful.

Tyler should have won Canadian Idol when he was on it. Loved all the songs he did for the show but not as crazy about the one record he put out. Came in 3rd. The girl that did win was my second choice. Man that was already a lot of years ago. He's sill singing some but no record deals.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Crowley said:

Send coffee....

No, COFFEE....

No... MORE COFFEE.

Would one of the Love's Truck Stop Tanker-loads be enough?

Do you have a place to park it while it unloads?

Do you have a sufficiently large Swimming Pool for it to unload into?

GEM

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, Zink said:

I already have something similar for tubeless tires. Nails in big chloride filled tractor tires is more than I can handle myself and getting them fixed is expensive. 

Okay, not being a farmer, I gotta ask:  

What's a chloride filled tractor tire?  I'm having a really hard time thinking of reasons for putting chlorides and living things you want to keep in the same place.  Chlorides aren't to healthy for rubber or metal either so.... what's up?  Enlighten me ::D:

• Like 9

43 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

What's a chloride filled tractor tire?  I'm having a really hard time thinking of reasons for putting chlorides and living things you want to keep in the same place.  Chlorides aren't to healthy for rubber or metal either so.... what's up?  Enlighten me ::D:

A quick Google says that liquid calcium chloride is used as ballast. So it's an anti-rollover measure. It replaced powdered lead, and is used instead of plain water because it's both heavier and doesn't freeze.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 10

20 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

TPK'd by a cookie...

The thought occurred to me while eating dinner:

Was the Cookies known accomplice

Jug - of Milk involved?

GEM

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

23 minutes ago, Unruly said:
1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

A quick Google says that liquid calcium chloride is used as ballast. So it's an anti-rollover measure. It replaced powdered lead, and is used instead of plain water because it's both heavier and doesn't freeze.

Edited 20 minutes ago by Unruly

What he said plus it adds weight to the tractor to allow for better traction when pulling. And it is nasty !@#% like you said. I've blown tires and had it spray all over. It's very caustic and will rust anything not protected by paint in a day or two. It kills any plants it touches and can burn your skin if you get it splashed on. My hands are generally scratched and I've gotten in those scratches when helping fix the tires. It won't do damage if you get it washed off in a half hour or so but oh man does it hurt. Most of my equipment is on the smaller side so I tend to have them remove the chloride from my tires the first time one of them gets a leak except for my smaller loader tractor. It needs the extra weight to not tip forward when lifting big bales. I don't like having anything to do with it and it keeps me from fixing my own tires. When the service people are fixing a tire with chloride the first thing they have to do is suck as much as possible out of the tire.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

21 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

The thought occurred to me while eating dinner:

Was the Cookies known accomplice

Jug - of Milk involved?

GEM

Unknown.  We've tried a variety of techniques, but it just won't budge, or even talk... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6