Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

I’m all caught up on the thread, so now I want bacon and part of a cookie (I know my limits) and have the mighty quinn and I won’t sing any Bob Dylan taking turns running through my head.

...and a slightly uneasy feeling that glitterwolf might not have *needed* those grenades.

i love you all ::D: you make my day just the right type of strange.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

I’m really glad I’m not a Mod on Reapers Facebook page.

Oi. The shenanigans. :down:

• Like 7
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 3

30 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

It is getting nasty there. I'm getting tempted to unfollow the page due to the constant awfulness going on lately.

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

43 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

IMNSHO opinion Fakebook is nearing a tipping point where businesses will begin to recognize the collective elf hattery is a negative for the perception of their business.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
tentacles
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

It is getting nasty there.

I haven't looked in the past few days, but I've generally seen positive comments there when I look.  Are people sniping at one another or at Reaper?  Do you know if moderators can delete posts and/or ban users there?

• Like 6

I went there a couple of times and don't bother going back. The attitude here is generally a very nice place compared to the FB page.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Serenity said:

I haven't looked in the past few days, but I've generally seen positive comments there when I look.  Are people sniping at one another or at Reaper?  Do you know if moderators can delete posts and/or ban users there?

It used to be really positive, mostly just posting pretty pictures or WIPs. Lately it is arguing over priming Bones ad nauseum, or just being mean over one thing or another (a certain succubus figure of Reaper's got **bad**).

Moderators can lock or delete posts. I think they can ban users too.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Serenity said:

Usually it’s not too bad there, but in the past couple of days or so there’s been a couple of posters with questionable motives who appear to be trying to stir the pot while maintain please of innocence and name calling or worse to those trying to call them out on it.

Unfortunately I haven’t seen any Admin or Moderator intervention, likely because they’re all Reaper employees and enjoying their weekend off with their families and not dealing with work stuff.

Thats the benefit of having a few passionate and trustworthy fans/customers on the moderation team. 

Because it is a passion and not a job for them they are more likely to be online at odd hours and can react much quicker to whatever problems may arise.

I believe this is why the Reaper forums have been such a friendly place for so many years.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7

2 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Usually it’s not too bad there, but in the past couple of days or so there’s been a couple of posters with questionable motives who appear to be trying to stir the pot while maintain please of innocence and name calling or worse to those trying to call them out on it.

Unfortunately I haven’t seen any Admin or Moderator intervention, likely because they’re all Reaper employees and enjoying their weekend off with their families and not dealing with work stuff.

Thats the benefit of having a few passionate and trustworthy fans/customers on the moderation team. 

Because it is a passion and not a job for them they are more likely to be online at odd hours and can react much quicker to whatever problems may arise.

I believe this is why the Reaper forums have been such a friendly place for so many years.

I've done some reporting, in the hopes that it will help, but ... you need to have active mods for that to be any kind of use. :/

And.. yah, pretty much that. Right now, you couldn't pay me to do it. I'm pretty sure I couldn't without shoving a large pile of trolls out the airlock, and with my luck, half of 'em wouldn't stick.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

I've done some reporting, in the hopes that it will help

You’re not the only one.

• Like 8

Same. I've hit the button on some. I can't really blame a newbie for asking about primer, even if it is repetitive. They get jumped on like a lame wildebeast at the watering hole though ::(:

• Like 1
  • Sad 10

I bought more cherries today. They were still on sale. These ones I'm just eating raw. Because yum.

• Like 16

8 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Or, I could be misremembering the size, after mumble-mumble years - it was a Heath-Zenith H8 sold as a kit through Radio Shacks, back in the late 70s. (Tandy owned Radio Shack, Zenith owned Heathkit, they competed but also sometimes sold each other's products. The rebranded H8s were literally relabeled Tandy - a new label glued over the Heath nameplate. ::P:) Might have been an 8 inch drive - the hard sectoring and being big being what stuck in teen age Grump's mind. Definitely bigger than the floppies used on the TRS-80s.

The drive was separate from the computer - as was the keyboard.

It came with a whopping 4K.

There was also a... punch tape reader. <_<

The Auld Grump - there were still some paper tape readers floating around in the early nineties, at a warehousing company in Southern Maine, possibly other places as well.

That might have been it, yeah. 

There was an 8" floppy drive available for it.   

My guess is they got a 'good deal' on a container full of them...   

(The 5.25" came in the mid 70s, and that was really it for the 8". )

I would have loved to have one of those H8 systems, and the paper tape readers...   

(I collect stuff like that)

• Like 6

Today is off to a weird start. I still have to go to work, but I'm going in late due to a first thing in the AM doctor's appointment. So, I got to sleep in a little bit. It's messing with my head to look at the clock, though. Every time I do, the first thought I have is 'I should've left x number of minutes ago'.

• Like 7