Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

And caught up.  Had a good weekend.  Went to a board game birthday party(Betrayal at House on the Hill amd Someone Has Died).  Slept in on Saturday.  Sunday ran a DnD game for younhest saughter and her friends.

Now work stuff is happening.  Got told that I messed up something on Friday.  Then had confirmation from another guy that I *did so* run the test that failed this weekend.  And it passed when I ran it.  So either one of the two groups that came after me mucked something up, or something broke shortly after I tested it.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Today is off to a weird start. I still have to go to work, but I'm going in late due to a first thing in the AM doctor's appointment. So, I got to sleep in a little bit. It's messing with my head to look at the clock, though. Every time I do, the first thought I have is 'I should've left x number of minutes ago'.

And I have nearly the opposite condition but the same clock watching problem. I need to go in early for a test walk down, so needing to get up early, my brain kept me ever alert to what time it was. Finally gave up a half hour before the alarm.

Didn't help that I was having constant CAV dreams about ReaperCon (didn't complete a purchase within the required time span, so not allowed to enter a painted figure; dunno where that is coming from).

And on top of that, just made plans for a college tour for the oldest (plane tickets, hotel, rental car, kenneling), so the brain is worried it has missed something. But I can't think of anything and it is bothering me.

Finally that it is looking unlikely than my wife can go to ReaperCon this year, since my step-father had a stroke back in May, and isn't doing what he should for rehab. Means my mother probably won't be able to come out and the wife doesn't want to leave a 17yo and 14yo alone for that long. Pretty sure I was being left home for weekends by 14, but today is not yesterday.

I guess what I am trying to say is there's a high level of stress in my life right now, and not a lot I can do about it.

OH! Hi, Monday! That makes more sense now.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 10

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Today is off to a weird start. I still have to go to work, but I'm going in late due to a first thing in the AM doctor's appointment. So, I got to sleep in a little bit. It's messing with my head to look at the clock, though. Every time I do, the first thought I have is 'I should've left x number of minutes ago'.

I may have a Doctor Appt today. I made one last week, but I can’t remember if it was for Wednesday or today.  :unsure:

I went round and round and round two weeks ago trying to get this appointment set up only to have it cancelled the day before because all the little worker bees failed to get an “insurance referral” approved. 

Today is (maybe) the second attempt. 

It would be nice to know if my wrist is broken.  :mellow:

• Sad 14

As I was peering out the front door this morning, one of the Fat Little Birds landed on the arm of the old water pump, looked me in the eye and then at the food dish, then back at me as if trying to bring it to my attention that the nocturnal critters had eaten it all.

She jumps down to the porch, looks at me, looks at the dish, starts chirping.

"Food, food, can I have some food please? I want food."

Flaps back to the pump, more chirping, more looking from me to the dish. Others join in, hopping about, chirping, and glancing from me to the dish. Thoroughly guilt tripped by this point, (and curious as to the fact they've begun to organize in this) I provide food.

As soon as the screen door closes, a young squirrel erupts from ambush, launching his entire body into the food dish, sending seeds everywhere and the Fat Little Birds fleeing to the edge of the patio table. Their panicked cries bring the rest of the flock to the porch, all of them expressing a great deal of anger at the squirrel, who seizes one of the peanuts and bolts off with most of the flock in pursuit except for a rotund cardinal, whose begins picking at the food dish with an expression of deep self satisfaction.

I am beginning to wonder if this whole thing was set up by the cardinal, in order to have first choice at the seeds. This would've required an understanding of the human psyche, the ability to convince a number of young sparrows to work together, the ability to teach them guilt tripping, and the ability to convince the squirrel to go along with this, without alerting the rest of the flock...and the patience to wait until I showed up and looked out the door. 

That cardinal is a machivellian genius lurking in the body of a bird. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 14

Call him Richelieu...

21 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

That cardinal is a machivellian genius lurking in the body of a bird. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 14

@Pegazus & @TGP praying for you both.

It seems like we will get a break from the high temps for a few days. Raining here, gonna go play in the garage in a bit, need to find some Heroclix for tonight, work on an old shotgun and maybe set up a new set of reloading dies for a couple antique guns.

• Like 9

On 7/19/2019 at 11:11 AM, Thoramel said:

Going through some work photos in the office from traveling the last few days. We are using an older camera of dubious photographic quality, but every now and again we still manage to capture a neat picture. This is from yesterday morning hiking along a restored pipeline cut to assess the quality of their mitigation work. The fog was pretty thick and helped create a kind of otherworldly feel to what would normally just be hiking through corn fields. 

P1190851.thumb.JPG.607cf122d2e5b82aee79ceb81a7d52a2.JPG

I covet this magical swamp.

On 7/19/2019 at 11:20 AM, PaganMegan said:

I never knew that Asimov was a pig.

I love his books and ideas.  I'm not a fan of the man himself.

On 7/19/2019 at 12:02 PM, Glitterwolf said:

...and keep an eye on M.E.O.W. And R.I.B.B.I.T!

extreme-detailed-close-eye-frog-600w-597307118.jpg.25b7a82c52a95ba4ddee7db0a295c9cb.jpg

On 7/19/2019 at 12:51 PM, TGP said:

Redbubble put up some resistance but I got there in the end...

Right: so the effect of giving it those tags is that it displays a little generic, mostly grey,  icon with a Rebbubble logo and an [oak?] leaf. Labeled with the words “mature content”. 

It does that, instead of a thumbnail of the art, if it decides there is a tiny chance the visitor on the other side of the screen  might be a kid.  

I love your line-work on those trees.  Yow.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

It stuns me to think that a fracas erupted over the weekend on the Reaper boards on Facebook about whether or not Reaper Bones needed priming or not.

I have heard that Bones don't need priming. I have heard opinions both ways. But it never occurred to me that anyone would draw a line in the sand and scream "YOU ARE DOING THIS WROOOOONG!"

That set me back on my heels.

And then I remembered a NASTY multiperson fistfight I witnessed in Terlingua, Texas,  in 1985, about whether or not beans had any place in REAL chili. And then it suddenly all made perfect sense. 

It wasn't any BETTER, but it all made perfect SENSE.

• Like 13
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:
On 7/19/2019 at 11:51 AM, TGP said:

Redbubble put up some resistance but I got there in the end...

Right: so the effect of giving it those tags is that it displays a little generic, mostly grey,  icon with a Rebbubble logo and an [oak?] leaf. Labeled with the words “mature content”. 

It does that, instead of a thumbnail of the art, if it decides there is a tiny chance the visitor on the other side of the screen  might be a kid.  

I love your line-work on those trees.  Yow.

To be absolutely clear, that Artwork with the lovely linework on the trees, was all @Pingo ! (Who also draws horses much better than I ever have.)  I was just giving her independent feedback on the functionality of Redbubble. 

I have done trees. And rocks.

(This is something Old from 3 years ago, also appears in one of my art threads.)

IMG_891.jpg

Edited by TGP
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

No cookie for me today. No medical attention either. That happens next Monday. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 14

2 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

It stuns me to think that a fracas erupted over the weekend on the Reaper boards on Facebook about whether or not Reaper Bones needed priming or not.

I have heard that Bones don't need priming. I have heard opinions both ways. But it never occurred to me that anyone would draw a line in the sand and scream "YOU ARE DOING THIS WROOOOONG!"

That set me back on my heels.

And then I remembered a NASTY multiperson fistfight I witnessed in Terlingua, Texas,  in 1985, about whether or not beans had any place in REAL chili. And then it suddenly all made perfect sense. 

It wasn't any BETTER, but it all made perfect SENSE.

It has been simmering for a while and boiled over this weekend. It is nuts.

And chili can be beaned or no-beaned, but a minimum of one chili pepper must be involved. ::P:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

It has been simmering for a while and boiled over this weekend. It is nuts.

And chili can be beaned or no-beaned, but a minimum of one chili pepper must be involved. ::P:

Well, THAT's where I get all line-in-the-sand-y. 

There need to be chili peppers, diced chilis, canned chilis, or chili powder involved, or it ain't chili. I've had canned chili, vegetarian chili, white chicken chili, carnivore chili, chili with beans, chili without beans, and chili so hot you coulda used my breath to clean your OVEN...

...but if there are not chilis in some form involved, it ain't chili. It is at best Mexican flavor soup, and at worst, spaghetti sauce.

• Like 11
  • Haha 6

The chili I made to take camping was pretty much meat soup. It involved poblano peppers and shaken in cayenne peppers, beans, mushrooms, bell peppers, onion, garlic, and tomato. But.... meat soup. So totally meat soup. With a pleasant earthy spice (crap ton of cumin, because I couldn't resist).

• Like 9

" ...And thus did the Disciples of Chili and the Cult of Soup enter into Conclave. Overlooked by most at the time, the far reaching effects of this would not truly be felt until the Great Food War of 2032..."

-Prophecies of Oltorf the Unhinged Vol 89, digital edition pub. 2067

• Like 2
  • Haha 13