Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

I’m involved in a writers’ forum (PingosHusband is a pro) that has weathered things. It is not the most active of forums. I think much of the time it gets about 100 new posts a day, and has for most of the time I’ve been there. But for the most part the posters are thoughtful and the moderators on it.

I’m also involved in an rpg board that has an astonishingly welcoming community. I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a large proportion of women gamers anywhere. 

What both of these have in common is a relatively large pool of moderators who are communicative with the membership and try to be transparent in their decisions. The sites are also neither of them willing to put up with trolling or abusive behavior. And - get this - they both allow discussion of political issues, dissent even, so long as the participants are civil to each other - real civil, not dancing-around-the-rules-daggers-drawn civil - and evidence-based. And they will ban people, even longtime members, even moderators, if they violate these precepts.

And it works. Both sites are chugging along. Sometimes I worry about the writers’ forum being fairly quiet, but then it has remained at this level for a long while and is still going. Also it has some quite stellar members from the professional end, so eh, maybe it’s okay.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

The chili I made to take camping was pretty much meat soup. It involved poblano peppers and shaken in cayenne peppers, beans, mushrooms, bell peppers, onion, garlic, and tomato. But.... meat soup. So totally meat soup. With a pleasant earthy spice (crap ton of cumin, because I couldn't resist).

A variety of thickeners can be used; most of them involved a fairly long cooking time, though. Rice, potato, potato flakes, cornstarch, cornmeal, refried beans, cheese, and tomato paste are all thickeners I've seen used to turn it into a thicker, stewier dish. I take no sides about beans, as I have enjoyed both varieties. Which I suppose makes me a... chilisexual? No, more like a bichiliphile...

This post has definitely not gone where I expected it to go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

A variety of thickeners can be used; most of them involved a fairly long cooking time, though. Rice, potato, potato flakes, cornstarch, cornmeal, refried beans, cheese, and tomato paste are all thickeners I've seen used to turn it into a thicker, stewier dish. I take no sides about beans, as I have enjoyed both varieties. Which I suppose makes me a... chilisexual? No, more like a bichiliphile...

This post has definitely not gone where I expected it to go.

I just simmered it down until it was sufficiently stewy. Didn't really need thickening.

Also, I don't recommend going there with chili. Might be uhm... spicy on places that shouldn't have spice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

In other news, I find wry amusement in the fact that soon, the same sun that's been making me miserable will be powering my air conditioner.

2139880284_IMG_20190722_152406447(1).jpg.852545c6ec62286f3272c55a50598a70.jpg

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 16
  • Haha 6

Air conditioners are such a logical thing to be solar-powered. 

Solar has a severe flaw, namely it only works when there is sunlight. 50% of the time or less. But, dedicating it to the Airco largely solves the issue. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 11

12 minutes ago, TGP said:

Air conditioners are such a logical thing to be solar-powered. 

Solar has a severe flaw, namely it only works when there is sunlight. 50% of the time or less. But, dedicating it to the Airco largely solves the issue. 

Don't forget that in some climates it, uh, uhm... Well, isn't quite as effective in a place like Alberta, Canada, compared to California.  I still wouldn't mind doing such when I get a house though, but there is one perk if you put it at the "correct" angle - it's self cleaning.  No need to shovel snow off when gravity does that for you! 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Don't forget that in some climates it, uh, uhm... Well, isn't quite as effective in a place like Alberta, Canada, compared to California.  I still wouldn't mind doing such when I get a house though, but there is one perk if you put it at the "correct" angle - it's self cleaning.  No need to shovel snow off when gravity does that for you! 

Solar is beset by parameters that enhance or hamper the usefulness. 

Just considering the angle. There is an optimum angle to collect energy. That can be different from the optimum angle(s): to disperse snow accumulation, the ideal angle to survive hail impacts, the best angle to survive sustained high winds...

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, TGP said:

Just considering the angle. There is an optimum angle to collect energy. That can be different from the optimum angle(s): to disperse snow accumulation, the ideal angle to survive hail impacts, the best angle to survive sustained high winds...

I was leaning more towards the latitude based system of setting things up.  We're 53.5ish degrees here, which is pretty steep.  Ideally, my "dream" setup would have panels raised up, in a clearing, on a passive or active tracker, paired with a small wind turbine or two....

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I was leaning more towards the latitude based system of setting things up.  We're 53.5ish degrees here...

Latitude factors in at least two ways. It affects the raw amount of energy available (there is more near the equator). Then the best angle for the collector to get as much energy as possible varies with latitude. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

I can't say I disagree with Buglips, but I also don't 100% agree, either.  Social media is a trash fire, and the world is an angry place right now, but I think we'll figure it out.  Or rather the kids will and us old people can rant in our corner about how they're ruining everything.  I've got ideas about gamer retirement homes for when the time comes.  :poke:

Some of us Grognards are very close to the point where that would be an attraction.

In my case, never gonna happen because of my mangled hearing.  Had some close friends who were considering moving into a "retirement community" and about an hour in the facility touring with a rep. was enough to convince me that I could never live in that sort of environment because everybody is DEEEAF and "talking" at a level that most people would label as yelling and I label as painful.

GEM

"Give me land, lots of land, all the places I can roam -

Don't Fence Me IN!"

2 hours ago, Unruly said:

It's raining. I'm at work. Because I'm at work and it's raining, I can't actually do work. I can't actually do work because capacitive touch screens don't work when they're wet, and instead you end up with all sorts of incorrect button presses. My work phone, which is what we use to write our tickets, tried to call my department head on its own because rain hit the screen while I was trying to write a ticket. And said ticket took me multiple minutes to write because the phone kept switching screens and opening other stuff. At one point I watched it adjust it's own display brightness for about 10 seconds because it had opened up the settings and the wet screen was just going nuts.

So for now I'm just sitting in the car listening to the radio and browsing the web on my personal phone. When it slacks off, then I'll go do actual work...

And  over-reliance on technology once again breaks the system.

GEM

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

On 7/21/2019 at 7:04 PM, Green Eyed Monster said:

Would one of the Love's Truck Stop Tanker-loads be enough?

Do you have a place to park it while it unloads?

Do you have a sufficiently large Swimming Pool for it to unload into?

GEM

I work on an aircraft carrier... I think I can fit it somewhere. 

@buglips*the*goblin Well... I don't think you are, but I desperately hope you're wrong. 

Currently raining HARD. With a side of Thunder and Lightning.   And I need to go move the car. :wacko:

Lucy update: She's... Not great. But stable. I mean, she's very wobbly, but she isn't getting worse. Wednesday still feels too far away. :down:

• Like 1
  • Sad 15

56 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

In other news, I find wry amusement in the fact that soon, the same sun that's been making me miserable will be powering my air conditioner.

2139880284_IMG_20190722_152406447(1).jpg.852545c6ec62286f3272c55a50598a70.jpg

That doesn't look anything like the "Buffalo Bill's Gravesite" that I've been to.  ::P:

GEM

34 minutes ago, TGP said:

And that angle will change over the cycle of a year due to the planetary axial tilt.

For a system to be really efficient and low cost it needs to have at least three angles it can be set to, depending on the time of year and the solar angle of incidence.

GEM

• Like 4

5 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

The remains of the cookie are going to work today. I hope to return without it.

Do you have any military veterans where you work? If you do, I can almost guarantee that cookie won't survive. No matter which branch, free food is always near and dear to the heart. ::D:

5 hours ago, TGP said:

No cookie for me today. No medical attention either. That happens next Monday. 

I sincerely hope that you just have a bad sprain or something like that. Leaving a broken bone alone for too long is bad ju-ju. It'll start to heal on it's on it's own. It won't necessarily heal correctly, though. Then 10 years down the road it'll really start to hurt, and the doc will then tell you that the only way to fix it is to re-break it so it'll heal properly.

Not speaking from personal experience or anything though...<_<

RE: the decline of the forum---I've noticed it, too. I have, on several occasions, tried to bring the topic to light in an effort to slow/halt/reverse the trend with varying degrees of success. I enjoy hanging out with you people here. I enjoy hanging out with you people at Reapercon even more so. I am old, and stubborn, and will fight like hell to not have to give up things I enjoy.  It's gonna need to be a team effort, though. Everyone needs to go and re-read the rules and try to follow 'em, for starters.

Hey, Reaper!!!

You guys REALLY need to recruit more mods.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I work on an aircraft carrier... I think I can fit it somewhere. 

@buglips*the*goblin Well... I don't think you are, but I desperately hope you're wrong. 

Currently raining HARD. With a side of Thunder and Lightning.   And I need to go move the car. :wacko:

Lucy update: She's... Not great. But stable. I mean, she's very wobbly, but she isn't getting worse. Wednesday still feels too far away. :down:

Having formerly worked on an aircraft carrier {USS Ranger, end of Vietnam} I really wouldn't want to drink any coffee stored in the tanks aboard ship.  Especially when most of the systems have been decommissioned.

-

We had a very junior officer almost get himself launched off of the forward cat - without benefit of a seat on an airplane.

Seems this very junior officer ~~ordered~~ a senior NCO to open a cross connect valve between our fresh water tanks and the bunker fuel oil systems.  This, after it being carefully explained to said j.o. that if the valve was opened these would be the consequences.

Captain had him off the ship before most of us knew there was a problem with half our fresh water stores being unusable.  And The Word was passed very quickly that we were on immediate "Water Hours" [strict limits on fresh water use for things like bathing].  Water, or anything cooked with water, had an oily taint for several weeks.

GEM

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 5

On 7/19/2019 at 6:18 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

Eric Bogle's Do You Know Any Dylan

Spoiled because long set of lyrics -

Reveal hidden contents

At the age of nineteen, I was young, I was keen,
And I had just one burning ambition:
To be a folksinger, a dope-smoking swinger
Sing songs that were steeped in tradition.

So I bought a guitar and I practiced real hard
I wasn't much good, but I was willin',
'Til to my chagrin, my girlfriend came in
And she said: "Can you sing any Dylan?"

I said, "No! No! A thousand times no!
I'd rather see my lifeblood spillin'.
I'll sing anything, even 'God Save The King,'
But I just won't sing any Bob Dylan. "

And with my guitar I traveled real far,
Trying to gain recognition.
I sung "The Wild Rover" from Dundee to Dover,
In pubs, clubs and in seaman's missions.

I traveled the road for seven long years,
My pace, it really was killin'.
And everywhere I went, from Gwydir  to Qwent ,
They would say, "Can you sing any Dylan? "

I'd say, "No! No! A thousand times no!

Well, I struggled on, but the magic was gone,
I only had a deep sense of failure.
I thought then I'd go to where all failures go,
So I boarded a ship for Australia.

When I landed at Sydney, the sun it shone down
On a view that was lovely and thrillin',
'Til spotting my case, with a smile on his face,
Customs said: "Can you sing any Dylan, -- mate?"

I said, "No! No! A thousand times no! [HEAVY AUSTRALIAN ACCENT]
But I just won't sing any Bob Dylan."

And ever since then, again and again,
I've been asked the same bloody question.
And I usually reply, in me own quiet way,
With a totally indecent suggestion.

But the last straw came one night at a Sydney motel,
Where I had a young girl who was willin'.
As she took off her dress she said, "I'll say yes
If only you sing some Bob Dylan, -- big boy."

I said, "Hang on a second!"

I said, "No! No! A thousand times no!

But I tell you, my friend, that was the end
Of all my traditional aspirations.
If bein' a folkie was gonna cut off my nookie
There was one way to end my frustration.

The next night I sang at my local folk club,
Where the audience as usual was millin',
'Til I took off my coat and I ruptured my throat
And I sang just like Bob Dylan:

[IMITATES DYLAN:] "Come, gather round, people, wherever you roam...[etc.]
[FIRST VERSE OF "The Times They Are A-Changin'"]

Well, the audience went wild, mens, womens and childs,
And they clapped 'til their raw hands were bleedin'.
And they said, so to speak, that my style was "unique,"
And just what the Australian folk scene was needin'.

So all you young folkies who bash out a chord,
If you want to attain the top billin',
Just murder good prose and sing through your nose
And then you'll sing just like Bob Dylan.
[IMITATES DYLAN AGAIN].

The Auld Grump - the other song is Singing Through Your Nose....

It is worth noting that Eric Bogle suffered from a visit by the Irony Faerie.... as Australian folk singers grew royally sick and tired of getting requests to sing his songs The Band Played Waltzing Mathilda and No Man's Land - pretty much becoming Australia's own inescapable Bob Dylan. ::P:

On 7/21/2019 at 5:53 PM, Zink said:

Yeah, I've got enough old sheds and buildings blowing shingles around it would probably be a good investment. Thinking of getting the scrap metal dealers in to clear out 50 years of my dad's junk. Need room for the equipment I'm killing. A trackhoe and bulldozer would be the best improvement for my yard.

I already have something similar for tubeless tires. Nails in big chloride filled tractor tires is more than I can handle myself and getting them fixed is expensive. 

@TheAuldGrump https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCazLJp2wwk Not a lot of songs about Saskatchewan despite a few really famous singers coming from here. Stompin Tom ain't one of them but he's got songs for everywhere in Canada.

Laura Love - Saskatchewan.

The Auld Grump

• Like 5
  • Haha 2