Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

My eyeball hurts because I accidentally thwapped it with my hair when I spun around. Ow.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, Cyradis said:

My eyeball hurts because I accidentally thwapped it with my hair when I spun around. Ow.

>Tongue inserted firmly in cheek<

With that Exclamation Point on top of your head I can see where that could be painful.  ::P:

GEM

I know it had to hurt but I just couldn't resist the temptation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

The ! isn't actually a problem. It can bop **other** people though!

• Haha 11

16 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

...a cross connect valve between our fresh water tanks and the bunker fuel oil systems.

Trying to imagine why such a valve would even exist. Imagination fails.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, TGP said:

Trying to imagine why such a valve would even exist. Imagination fails.  

Warships are plumbed different from civilian naval vessels.

Naval Officers [line officers] who serve on warships, and Senior NCO Damage control personnel learn the principles of Counter-Flooding, a technique used to keep a damaged vessel from capsizing or going down by either the bow or stern by flooding other spaces to even out the weight distribution from compartments and spaces flooded by damage.

It's counter-intuitive but in a combat situation it's sometimes better to risk sinking from too much water evenly distributed than from a lesser amount of water destabilizing the ability of the ship to stay afloat and either get out of an engagement or to stay in the fight while the Damage Control personnel attempt to get the problem under full control.

Even in a situation where a ship is sinking it can be advantageous to counter-flood in order to buy time for the ships company to Abandon Ship in good order instead of a panic.

GEM

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

^^ I knew there MUST be SOME advantage to being as bald as a coot. ^^

It's been a hot and busy day for me:

P9070428.thumb.JPG.c1ee07aa71423b9112ce51825552364d.JPG

Edited by paintybeard
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

And  over-reliance on technology once again breaks the system.

GEM

If we were still using handwritten paper tickets, I wouldn't have even been attempting to write them. The old written tickets would fall apart when wet. They were no better than notebook paper. Technology is what allows us to write tickets at all when it's raining. Even the traffic tickets used by every cop in the state are basically just cardstock and tear up badly when wet. Which is why they always write them out while sitting in their cruisers. I don't have that luxury.

43 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I sincerely hope that you just have a bad sprain or something like that. Leaving a broken bone alone for too long is bad ju-ju. It'll start to heal on it's on it's own. It won't necessarily heal correctly, though. Then 10 years down the road it'll really start to hurt, and the doc will then tell you that the only way to fix it is to re-break it so it'll heal properly.

Not speaking from personal experience or anything though...<_<

Or it could be like my cousin, who lost his finger because they told him it wasn't broken when it was, it healed wrong, rebreaking it made it worse, and 3 or 4 years later it has to be amputated. 

36 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

We had a very junior officer almost get himself launched off of the forward cat - without benefit of a seat on an airplane.

Seems this very junior officer ~~ordered~~ a senior NCO to open a cross connect valve between our fresh water tanks and the bunker fuel oil systems.  This, after it being carefully explained to said j.o. that if the valve was opened these would be the consequences.

Captain had him off the ship before most of us knew there was a problem with half our fresh water stores being unusable.  And The Word was passed very quickly that we were on immediate "Water Hours" [strict limits on fresh water use for things like bathing].  Water, or anything cooked with water, had an oily taint for several weeks.

GEM

A young marine by the name of Eugene Sledge learned about how the military liked to reuse things in WWII in similar fashion. Before the battle of Peleliu, when they were staging on Pavuvu, he was told to scrub out 55 gallon oil drums and not given any supervision about it. The end result was he slacked off and did the bare minimum, as did everyone else who was given that detail. Fast forward a few weeks and they're now on Peleliu, in combat, in the summer, on a tropical island. And now all of their water supplies, delivered in those same 55 gallon drums, are tainted with oil and largely undrinkable.

13 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

I knew there MUST be SOME advantage to being as bald as a coot.

That doesn't look like a boat! Where are the blazers and boat shoes? Where are the bikini-clad supermodels? Where's the champagne fountain?

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

32 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

I knew there MUST be SOME advantage to being as bald as a coot.

Steam cleaning the engine room?

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

19 minutes ago, TGP said:

Steam cleaning the engine room?

No, pulling a piston out of the Main Engine for overhaul. (That's the long, tall item on a crane in the middle of the picture.) 

Working at anchor, about 25 miles off Corpus Christi. 40 centigrade and upper 80's humidity, which is why my camera kept fogging up!

• Like 10

From observation, the only places that remain friendly on the internet are places where the rules are enforced (known .. well, ideally, they're known, but my experiences implies that a lot of skimming happens when the rules come up). 

So, in a sense, @buglips*the*goblin is correct. I don't like that, but... damnall, he's right.

Maybe not about the inevitability of the thing, but ... *sigh*

Farcebook is just broken as designed; I wouldn't have a presence there at all if I didn't have a reason to, but even there, I have seen that it IS possible for groups to be friendly /and/ functional... but it means the mods have to be present, focused and active (I have ... four groups, five, if you count the Portal Farcebook group) that are active and functional. The Reaper group is /not one of those groups/.

In other news, Seattle Chocolate's 'Moon Rocks' chocolate is quite possibly the most interesting thing I've ever deliberately put in my mouth. I would not quite have imagined the combination of chocolate and pop rocks to be a functional one. If you can find some, GO TRY IT. The label is fraggin' awesome.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

If we were still using handwritten paper tickets, I wouldn't have even been attempting to write them. The old written tickets would fall apart when wet. They were no better than notebook paper. Technology is what allows us to write tickets at all when it's raining. Even the traffic tickets used by every cop in the state are basically just cardstock and tear up badly when wet. Which is why they always write them out while sitting in their cruisers. I don't have that luxury.

Or it could be like my cousin, who lost his finger because they told him it wasn't broken when it was, it healed wrong, rebreaking it made it worse, and 3 or 4 years later it has to be amputated. 

A young marine by the name of Eugene Sledge learned about how the military liked to reuse things in WWII in similar fashion. Before the battle of Peleliu, when they were staging on Pavuvu, he was told to scrub out 55 gallon oil drums and not given any supervision about it. The end result was he slacked off and did the bare minimum, as did everyone else who was given that detail. Fast forward a few weeks and they're now on Peleliu, in combat, in the summer, on a tropical island. And now all of their water supplies, delivered in those same 55 gallon drums, are tainted with oil and largely undrinkable.

That doesn't look like a boat! Where are the blazers and boat shoes? Where are the bikini-clad supermodels? Where's the champagne fountain?

A - So you are saying that even badly functioning technology is an improvement?

B - ::(:

C - Military Axiom:  Payback is a "broccoli"

D - The Lido Deck is up that ladder. 

.      About 5 Decks up that ladder.

.      No, there isn't elevator service.

.      This is the working part of the boat.

GEM

• Like 6

Grump has Cher playing.

Born in the wagon of a traveling show.

I don't know what game he's working on, but that is game working on music.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

25 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

Seattle Chocolate's 'Moon Rocks' chocolate 

Puts note on phone for future research.

• Like 11

I think I'm well and truly baked. It was only about 26 C / 79 F but I was fixing my swather for over 4 hours in the sun. Thought I had tanned up enough but I guess not. Damn my scandhoovian ancestors for giving me not so sun resistant skin. My face is red right now but I know from experience it'll quit  glowing later and it doesn't feel burnt. My neck and the couple of spots where my shirt was ripped on the other hand... On the edge of painful. And this is the coolest day they're predicting for the next week. At least I've done the wort of it and should be able to sit inside the swather in a couple day when I have it fixed with a/c. We missed the heat wave a lot of you've had lately. MIL was giving me hell for not wearing a hat. I was welding and grinding along with other things. Hard to wear a hat when you're swapped face mask and welding helmet continually. Wouldn't have helped my neck anyhow. I'm not a hat fan.

5 hours ago, kristof65 said:

I hate Facebook's algorithms in regards to groups/pages.  The more a post gets engaged with, the more FB's algorithms bump up it's visibility, both for the group, and for individuals engaging with it.  And those same algorithms try to show individuals more of those same types of posts that they engaged with. 

The only way to combat it is for individuals to refuse to engage with posts they don't like - but so many people don't get that, and so the dead horse gets beaten to a pulp, but then to a fine paste, after which is then further reduced to molecules, before being broken down into individual atoms. 

One thing that really irritates me with Facebook is that old posts from long ago I couldn't care less about seem to hang around forever but stuff that's new is gone quickly. Sometimes I can't find the thing I want to look at again. For the most part I avoid the worst of the stupidity and anger because my friends aren't generally involved and the few groups I'm part of are nice people sharing a common interest. Still don't like spending a lot of time there.

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

A - So you are saying that even badly functioning technology is an improvement?

Pretty much. The phones and the new software beat the pants off of our old handhelds for just about everything except working in the rain. They take better pictures, they have a built-in license plate reader function that's about 70% accurate, it remembers the details for vehicles we've written prior tickets, they're smaller, the battery lasts a whole 8 hour shift, and they automatically update our records(in part) as we write the tickets. The downsides are that the battery isn't replaceable, and so will eventually stop lasting the whole shift unless they get new phones every couple years, and that they foul up quicker in the rain.

All in all, it's a big upgrade. But it does suck when you're in the rain.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 9