Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

19 minutes ago, Zink said:

I think I'm well and truly baked.

I heard that was legal in Canadia now.

::P:

My condolences on the sunburn. I share your lamentable lack of melanin, so I sympathize.

OTOH, it helps with Vitamin D production, so there's that.

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Pretty much. The phones and the new software beat the pants off of our old handhelds for just about everything except working in the rain. They take better pictures, they have a built-in license plate reader function that's about 70% accurate, it remembers the details for vehicles we've written prior tickets, they're smaller, the battery lasts a whole 8 hour shift, and they automatically update our records(in part) as we write the tickets. The downsides are that the battery isn't replaceable, and so will eventually stop lasting the whole shift unless they get new phones every couple years, and that they foul up quicker in the rain.

All in all, it's a big upgrade. But it does suck when you're in the rain.

Can you do the tickets inside your squad car / RMP ?

Not understanding why the gadget has to be out in the weather...there is something you’ve not told us....??

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PaganMegan said:

Grump has Cher playing.

Born in the wagon of a traveling show.

I don't know what game he's working on, but that is game working on music.

Odds are good that gypsies are involved. ^_^

• Haha 9

14 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I heard that was legal in Canadia now.

::P:

My condolences on the sunburn. I share your lamentable lack of melanin, so I sympathize.

OTOH, it helps with Vitamin D production, so there's that.

Legalising that did nothing for me personally. Was never my thing.

I normally burn once in the spring and then am good for the rest of the summer. Every so often like this year we have weather that means I'm not outside much and it happens again. Never get very dark but don't usually bun bad. At least I'm not a redhead. 

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, TGP said:

Can you do the tickets inside your squad car / RMP ?

Not understanding why the gadget has to be out in the weather...there is something you’ve not told us....??

Since I'm parking authority, I'm checking meters. Unless it's basically dead out and there are only a handful of cars, I'm parking my car somewhere and walking a few blocks to check everything before returning to it since finding a parking space when I find an expired meter isn't likely. Plus, I don't have emergency lights or the ability to stop traffic(which is why we have to have the cops tow any vehicles that are on the street and we can't do it ourselves). Even if I did, people wouldn't be putting up with me stopping traffic every 10 feet to write another ticket. Any time I write a ticket, I've got to park my car, go check the meter, and then write the ticket. No matter what I've got to be out of the vehicle to read the meter on the street. 

The ticket process for meters is as follows -

1. Check meter

2. Enter vehicles details (plate/VIN, make, color, etc)

3. Take pictures of vehicle

4. Enter how much the meter was expired

5. Print ticket and place on windshield.

For steps 1, 3, and 5 I have to be out of my vehicle. There's no point in getting out, getting back in, and getting out again. Especially when you're going to have multiple vehicles in a row that you do that with. So you just walk around with the phone in hand, ready to enter the next one. It's a lot like being a mail carrier with a walking route. You have a vehicle, but you park it at the end of a street and then grab everything for that street and walk rather than trying to drive up to every mailbox, hopping in and out as you go.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, OneBoot said:

I was going to respond to Doc Bedlam's post re: drawing sand lines and screaming, but honestly buglips said it all so much better. 

--OneBoot

I agree. Mostly I was reacting with my gut; Buglips went out there and did his homework, so to speak.

I dunno that I agree with him on ALL the particulars, but regarding the issue of monetization, he's right on the money (if you'll pardon the pun). If you're not paying for the product, you ARE the product. And if a service is being provided, it's in their best interest to make you use the service as much as possible.

I used to work in news, a very long time ago. Two of the first things I learned is "Bring us fodder, or get out," and "If it bleeds, it leads." Media requires fresh content, a steady stream of lucid copy, NOW. It's that much harder in video media, which is why you get talking heads jabbering at you during a disaster when there's no fresh information to feed the audience; a part of an anchor's TRAINING now involves what to do when there's dead air and you have to figure out a way to fill it, engagingly, on the fly.

Since then, keeping the audience scared, angry, or at least concerned, is part of the process. "Fnords" aren't a real thing, but they might as well be. It keeps them tuning in. Particularly now that there's enough media floating around that you can just pick one that suits your particular preconceived notions.

I don't know that social media was DESIGNED to make you nuts, but it's certainly profitable while operating on that rationale.

Facebook used to be how I kept in touch with distant friends. Now it's largely a platform for ads disguised as someone's posts, and a lot of people have moved on to other media or none at all. Now I can go for quite some time without seeing much more than ads and memes. It ain't sustainable.

Buglips: " Even if there theoretically was a fix, it couldn't be implemented because some of the factors are being driven by people who don't actually think they're engaged in destructive behaviour at all (worse, some may believe they're actually doing good). " No single raindrop thinks it's to blame for the flood. That's the whole point behind moderators, and what I call the Internet Living Room. 

When you're on my page, you are in my Internet Living Room. I ask the same courtesy you'd show me if you were sitting in my real one. Feel free to chat and argue, even, but don't put up nudes on the wall or laughingly crap on the carpet. By the same token, though, I need to follow the same guidelines when wandering around in other people's spaces. Regrettably, though, either due to a societal shift, or Buglips' theories, or simply Gabriel's Greater Internet Effwad Theory, a LOT of folks can't seem to manage those parameters, and choose instead to kick up %$#@ for fun, validation, power, and, of course, profit.

greaterintfuckwad.jpg.7da7d5244dbeab0b5ed985199d888f28.jpg
As to the Reaper forums, I keep coming back because most of us seem to understand the value of basic civility and common courtesy, and trolls tend to get stomped on fairly quickly. I've got friends here. But yeah, some of us have moved on, and the board hasn't the numbers it did, once upon a time. But it's still usually a friendly, supportive place, and the mods are present and doing the job. It's worth returning to. And worth saving.

Social media ain't dead, but yeah, there's a dumpster fire there. It's a work in progress. Things will shake out.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I agree. Mostly I was reacting with my gut; Buglips went out there and did his homework, so to speak.

I dunno that I agree with him on ALL the particulars, but regarding the issue of monetization, he's right on the money (if you'll pardon the pun). If you're not paying for the product, you ARE the product. And if a service is being provided, it's in their best interest to make you use the service as much as possible.

I used to work in news, a very long time ago. Two of the first things I learned is "Bring us fodder, or get out," and "If it bleeds, it leads." Media requires fresh content, a steady stream of lucid copy, NOW. It's that much harder in video media, which is why you get talking heads jabbering at you during a disaster when there's no fresh information to feed the audience; a part of an anchor's TRAINING now involves what to do when there's dead air and you have to figure out a way to fill it, engagingly, on the fly.

Since then, keeping the audience scared, angry, or at least concerned, is part of the process. "Fnords" aren't a real thing, but they might as well be. It keeps them tuning in. Particularly now that there's enough media floating around that you can just pick one that suits your particular preconceived notions.

I don't know that social media was DESIGNED to make you nuts, but it's certainly profitable while operating on that rationale.

Facebook used to be how I kept in touch with distant friends. Now it's largely a platform for ads disguised as someone's posts, and a lot of people have moved on to other media or none at all. Now I can go for quite some time without seeing much more than ads and memes. It ain't sustainable.

Buglips: " Even if there theoretically was a fix, it couldn't be implemented because some of the factors are being driven by people who don't actually think they're engaged in destructive behaviour at all (worse, some may believe they're actually doing good). " No single raindrop thinks it's to blame for the flood. That's the whole point behind moderators, and what I call the Internet Living Room. 

When you're on my page, you are in my Internet Living Room. I ask the same courtesy you'd show me if you were sitting in my real one. Feel free to chat and argue, even, but don't put up nudes on the wall or laughingly crap on the carpet. By the same token, though, I need to follow the same guidelines when wandering around in other people's spaces. Regrettably, though, either due to a societal shift, or Buglips' theories, or simply Gabriel's Greater Internet Effwad Theory, a LOT of folks can't seem to manage those parameters, and choose instead to kick up %$#@ for fun, validation, power, and, of course, profit.

greaterintfuckwad.jpg.7da7d5244dbeab0b5ed985199d888f28.jpg
As to the Reaper forums, I keep coming back because most of us seem to understand the value of basic civility and common courtesy, and trolls tend to get stomped on fairly quickly. I've got friends here. But yeah, some of us have moved on, and the board hasn't the numbers it did, once upon a time. But it's still usually a friendly, supportive place, and the mods are present and doing the job. It's worth returning to. And worth saving.

Social media ain't dead, but yeah, there's a dumpster fire there. It's a work in progress. Things will shake out.

There's a corollary to Gresham's Law in there but I haven't quite figured out how to articulate it succinctly.

GEM

• Like 4

One of the major advantages of broadly available internet is the ability to find communities of interest that you enjoy. One of the major disadvantages of broadly available internet is that it's very easy to hear only people that agree with you (those same communities of interest), which then leads many (most?) people to come to the opinion that their beliefs are self-evidently correct, since "everyone" agrees with them.

And the most toxic result (perhaps) of all that is that question begging and strawman arguments become de rigeur.

If you spend the time to converse seriously with people who disagree with you, to actually engage their arguments fairly, you usually find out that they're (on average) as well-meaning as people who agree with you, but that they are working on different priors or weight issues differently. This typically results in civility (there are exceptions, of course.)

But if all you ever see are people who agree with you and people who either mischaracterize your beliefs or present only the weakest possible arguments for the opinions you hold and follow that up with attempts to dismiss those opinions as outside the realm of reasonable discourse, what you get is deeply toxic. And that, frankly, has happened here with distressing regularity.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

So much this. Nicely put.

• Like 8

Dangit. I just broke my butter dish.

And the DVD rack that I bought to clean up the unsightly stack of DVDs in my bedroom doesn't stand level, it tilts backwards about 10 degrees and the slightest jolt sends it falling. If I could bend the base "plate" a bit where it inserts into the stand itself I could fix it, but it's made out of sterner steel wire than I can do with pliers.

Edited by Unruly
  • Sad 9

3 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Dangit. I just broke my butter dish.

And the DVD rack that I bought to clean up the unsightly stack of DVDs in my bedroom doesn't stand level, it tilts backwards about 10 degrees and the slightest jolt sends it falling. If I could bend the base "plate" a bit where it inserts into the stand itself I could fix it, but it's made out of sterner steel wire than I can do with pliers.

Just a thought but you might look at something like the felt furniture feet tips they sell in places like Home Depot to raise up the back side of the "plate" a bit.  The pads can be split with a snap off knife blade extended from the handle long enough to use like a carving knife if you need +/- the thickness of a single pad.

GEM

• Like 6

So... I made a bunch of people at work mad. So much stink-eye...

My boss and half my team had just started some 10 day juice cleanse this weekend. And I brought giant chocolate chip cookie, all sliced into single serving bars.

I brought half of the cookie home. 

• Haha 21
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

So... I made a bunch of people at work mad. So much stink-eye...

My boss and half my team had just started some 10 day juice cleanse this weekend. And I brought giant chocolate chip cookie, all sliced into single serving bars.

I brought half of the cookie home. 

So The Cookie wins another round.

GEM

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

Juice cleanse?   

Sounds like yet another fad diet with no connection to the real world.    

It's probably Noni juice, too...

(In the past, peddlers of this stuff has been known to aggressively 'reccommend' the juice to cancer patients, claiming that it'll cure them.)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2