Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

@Unruly you should get one of those umbrella hats :winkthumbs:

9 hours ago, Cyradis said:

My eyeball hurts because I accidentally thwapped it with my hair when I spun around. Ow.

I laugh because I do that too. It's a laugh of shared pain.

3 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

So... I made a bunch of people at work mad. So much stink-eye...

My boss and half my team had just started some 10 day juice cleanse this weekend. And I brought giant chocolate chip cookie, all sliced into single serving bars.

I brought half of the cookie home. 

You're surrounded by lightweights!

Hubby has decided that when we move to Wyoming I'm not getting a job. He's going to work two jobs, at least until we're done breastfeeding. I can't really come up with a good arguement why he shouldn't. :unsure:

• Like 16
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Juice cleanse?   

Sounds like yet another fad diet with no connection to the real world.    

That's exactly what they are.

3 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Just a thought but you might look at something like the felt furniture feet tips they sell in places like Home Depot to raise up the back side of the "plate" a bit.  The pads can be split with a snap off knife blade extended from the handle long enough to use like a carving knife if you need +/- the thickness of a single pad.

GEM

It's a wire frame rack. It just needs that base portion bent a little. If I had a vise, I could probably bend it into place that way. I just can't apply enough force by hand with a couple pairs of pliers. For now I'll probably just prop it against the wall so it can't fall backwards.

2 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

@Unruly you should get one of those umbrella hats :winkthumbs:

Ah, yes. Make one of the most hated people in town look like an idiot, too! I can't say we haven't joked about it at work, though.

• Like 8

I think buglips’ analysis misses some factors. 

There are many ways people can be disruptive, but we can also work together to make spaces where people can talk to each other, swap ideas, relax and educate. One of my children has a YouTube channel like that, and the community there is tremendous. (I didn’t realize YouTube comments could be toxic until I started looking at some other channels.)

The main thing that seems necessary is respect, not necessarily of ideas, but of people. Where the internet fails is where people are not reined in from their worst impulses of demonizing and scapegoating other people. Even places where microaggressions are tolerated, excused, or brushed aside seem to inevitably become worse and worse places to be, until everything starts to look hopeless.

There needs to be moderation, and the moderation needs to have the power to remove disruptive elements from the community, whether temporary or permanent (and every decent place on the internet I’ve enjoyed hanging around on has a case-by-case philosophy so that even “permanent” bans may be overturned if the bannee shows change and willingness to change). All the good places I hang around allow challenges of ideas and perceptions - human conversation and variety of opinion, in other words.

And those places are always dynamic, always changing. The best places do not seem to be free-for-alls. They have pretty solid moral underpinnings, and a lot of human oversight. People are allowed to disagree, but not to dehumanize. It seems to work.

I’ve been pretty open about being a Big Ol’ Leftie with an urge to make the world a better place for everyone. I don’t always live up to my ideals and I recognize that there are people who consider even those ideals dangerous - or possibly the way I pursue them, I’m not sure. I do know that civilization requires constant maintenance, tinkering, and the mindful work of a lot of people of goodwill. It’s never going to be automatic - automatic always leads to toxicity. I also know that that work is necessary. Retreating into despair and hermitage only leads to disaster for everyone.

I don’t have answers because answers implies finality, and this is a process that is never done. On the other hand, if we work at it we can make good places to be human among humans for a time, and given the history of humanity that is in itself not a bad thing.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 8

10 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Having formerly worked on an aircraft carrier {USS Ranger, end of Vietnam} I really wouldn't want to drink any coffee stored in the tanks aboard ship.  Especially when most of the systems have been decommissioned.

-

We had a very junior officer almost get himself launched off of the forward cat - without benefit of a seat on an airplane.

Seems this very junior officer ~~ordered~~ a senior NCO to open a cross connect valve between our fresh water tanks and the bunker fuel oil systems.  This, after it being carefully explained to said j.o. that if the valve was opened these would be the consequences.

Captain had him off the ship before most of us knew there was a problem with half our fresh water stores being unusable.  And The Word was passed very quickly that we were on immediate "Water Hours" [strict limits on fresh water use for things like bathing].  Water, or anything cooked with water, had an oily taint for several weeks.

GEM

Not the same circumstances, but I have also 'enjoyed' JP-5 (jet fuel for those unaware) in my drinking water.

8 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

A - So you are saying that even badly functioning technology is an improvement?

B - ::(:

C - Military Axiom:  Payback is a "broccoli"

D - The Lido Deck is up that ladder. 

.      About 5 Decks up that ladder.

.      No, there isn't elevator service.

.      This is the working part of the SHIP.

GEM

FTFY.::P:

4 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

So... I made a bunch of people at work mad. So much stink-eye...

My boss and half my team had just started some 10 day juice cleanse this weekend. And I brought giant chocolate chip cookie, all sliced into single serving bars.

I brought half of the cookie home. 

The cookie is probably healthier.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

I think buglips’ analysis misses some factors. 

There are many ways people can be disruptive, but we can also work together to make spaces where people can talk to each other, swap ideas, relax and educate. One of my children has a YouTube channel like that, and the community there is tremendous. (I didn’t realize YouTube comments could be toxic until I started looking at some other channels.)

The main thing that seems necessary is respect, not necessarily of ideas, but of people. Where the internet fails is where people are not reined in from their worst impulses of demonizing and scapegoating other people. Even places where microaggressions are tolerated, excused, or brushed aside seem to inevitably become worse and worse places to be, until everything starts to look hopeless.

There needs to be moderation, and the moderation needs to have the power to remove disruptive elements from the community, whether temporary or permanent (and every decent place on the internet I’ve enjoyed hanging around on has a case-by-case philosophy so that even “permanent” bans may be overturned if the bannee shows change and willingness to change). All the good places I hang around allow challenges of ideas and perceptions - human conversation and variety of opinion, in other words.

And those places are always dynamic, always changing. The best places do not seem to be free-for-alls. They have pretty solid moral underpinnings, and a lot of human oversight. People are allowed to disagree, but not to dehumanize. It seems to work.

I’ve been pretty open about being a Big Ol’ Leftie with an urge to make the world a better place for everyone. I don’t always live up to my ideals and I recognize that there are people who consider even those ideals dangerous - or possibly the way I pursue them, I’m not sure. I do know that civilization requires constant maintenance, tinkering, and the mindful work of a lot of people of goodwill. It’s never going to be automatic - automatic always leads to toxicity. I also know that that work is necessary. Retreating into despair and hermitage only leads to disaster for everyone.

I don’t have answers because answers implies finality, and this is a process that is never done. On the other hand, if we work at it we can make good places to be human among humans for a time, and given the history of humanity that is in itself not a bad thing.

Very much my attitude, thank you Pingo.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

don’t have answers because answers implies finality, and this is a process that is never done. On the other hand, if we work at it we can make good places to be human among humans for a time, and given the history of humanity that is in itself not a bad thing.

All relationships, no matter what kind they are, require constant effort to keep them positive. Some require less effort, but you still have to put in the work for them. 

In other news, I have raviolis for dinner tonight :drool emote:

• Like 14

7 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

But if all you ever see are people who agree with you and people who either mischaracterize your beliefs or present only the weakest possible arguments for the opinions you hold and follow that up with attempts to dismiss those opinions as outside the realm of reasonable discourse, what you get is deeply toxic. And that, frankly, has happened here with distressing regularity.

But Doug....

I've joked about your "Vileness" award.

A couple of times I've seen you say that something/one is "vile" and just end the conversation at that point. Your point seemed to be that that thing/person was... outside the realm of reasonable discourse...

A tiny contradiction on your part?

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

But Doug....

I've joked about your "Vileness" award.

A couple of times I've seen you say that something/one is "vile" and just end the conversation at that point. Your point seemed to be that that thing/person was... outside the realm of reasonable discourse...

A tiny contradiction on your part?

I certainly consider some attitudes outside the realm of reasonable discourse. I also consider some responses to be unreasonable contributions to discourse.

But I'm not willing to respond to either here (other than to step away publicly), both because of board rules and because I come here for miniatures painting and light conversation, not politics.

If you think I have made those judgments publicly and unreasonably here, I'm willing to discuss that ... over a beer, not on the boards. If you think that one of my posts here has been unreasonable enough, I recommend reporting it (really; I don't claim to have a perfect record and if something has been disruptive, we're all better off if it disappears.)

• Like 8

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Hubby has decided that when we move to Wyoming I'm not getting a job. He's going to work two jobs, at least until we're done breastfeeding. I can't really come up with a good arguement why he shouldn't. :unsure:

Lazy modern women. Back in the old days they used to just strap the kid on their back and go to work. ::P: Seriously, while I feel sorry for your husand having to do that it might be for the best in the short term. Take care of the little critter first.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Im not quite sure how to read this. Are you excited to be a stay at home mom for a while, or are you wishing you could be a working mom?

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 7

So what I'm takin' away, here:

BUGLIPS: Monetized social media has a stake in making you crazy, because you're more profitable that way. This is bad for us all.

PINGO: Nonmonetized social media like this forum can be great if we all just behave and moderators manage the troublemakers.

DOUG SUNDSETH: I manage by not feeding the trolls. If you feel I'm out of line, report me.

Altogether, assuming I'm interpreting correctly, NONE of these statements seem terribly disruptive or unreasonable...

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

My mom just wished Hubby and I happy 7th anniversary. I had completely forgot :lol: 

Maybe I'll make shrimp to go with my raviolis, instead of chicken. Make it anniversary fancy :rolleyes:

18 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

Im not quite sure how to read this. Are you excited to be a stay at home mom for a while, or are you wishing you could be a working mom?

Oh, I straight up hate being a working mom. We're both working full time jobs, as well as trying to take care of a baby that doesn't sleep longer than 4 hours before she wakes up s wants food. Hubby can deal with it a little better, because he's used to only sleeping 3 hours a night. For me it's miserable. 

But I don't feel it's fair to Hubby to have to work so much. Aside from the fact that I'll hardly see him. But until I'm done breastfeeding, it's just not practical to have both of us working, even if I only worked part time. 

I'm just gonna to have to make it up to him by taking really good care of him and the house, so the time we do have together will be good, quality time.

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 20

Regarding the social media discussion...

I'm just hanging out here, as opposed to other sites with miniature content and discussion, because people here know how to use complete sentences. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

11 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

My mom just wished Hubby and I happy 7th anniversary. I had completely forgot :lol: 

Happy Anniversary!

I seem to remember that 7th. Anniversary is Jet. So perhaps we should all club together and buy you a B52.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

One of the greatest things about my best friend is that we don't always agree. We have a lot in common, a huge amount, but we still disagree frequently enough to challenge how I think about certain things and to create really interesting conversations. I cherish these. Most of the online presences I enjoy are people who I don't necessarily always agree with, but I really enjoy how they make their arguments. Joe Rogan is one of these. I frequently think he's a blathering idiot, and I don't appreciate some of his life choices, but I do enjoy listening to his side of things though he rarely changes my mind. 

I think social media is a cancer. Benign at best, certainly very, very toxic at worst. I engage in social media less and less. Most of the time I'm about one bad day away from deleting all of my social accounts and downgrading my Internet to just enough bandwidth to dial into work when necessary and download Kindle books. 

I do appreciate all of you however. I agree that this community has and is changing. I'm here less and less than I used to be. Lots of friends have come and gone over the years I've been visiting this forum. I appreciate all of you, and the things that you have added to my life. Even when I don't agree with you. I do foresee a time at some point when I probably won't log back in. Not that I don't still love Reaper, I do. A lot. But Reaper is necessarily changing. Some of those changes I love. Some of them not so much. In addition to that as I get older my time is more at a premium than ever before. I have more hobbies than I can easily list, and I try to spend as much time as feasible with my parents since I know that all life is a finite thing. 

At the end of the day, you're a great group of folks. You  have made my life a better thing, and I am appreciative of that. Any time any of you are in my neighborhood the beer and pizza are on me. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4