Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

3 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

So perhaps we should all club together and buy you a B52.

Well Red did say she was wanting shrimp.

Maybe we could all get her a rock lobster instead.

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

Here's the thing, you, as we all did, signed up for a forum where you have to intentionally opt-in to participate in political and other sensitive discussions. It’s not banned, it’s not disallowed, there’s just a particular place for it. That’s what people signed up for, a forum where they could discuss miniatures, and in particular Reaper Miniatures products, and all that Reaper asks is that topics of a sensitive nature be put in a place where people have to purposefully go to view them. The insistence to ignore that rule because you think it would work better if people just went along with what you want to do is not just disrespectful to your fellow forum members, it’s disrespectful to Reaper who made the rule in the first place. 

This isn’t your internet living room. I would never go to anyone’s Facebook or Twitter or blog or any space that has the intention of giving the user their own home on the internet and tell them what they can or cannot post there. I am Facebook friends with plenty of people from all walks of life who regularly very passionately state their opinions about different subjects and I have, not once, given anyone any grief over posting whatever their heart desires on their own page because THAT is their internet living room and I don’t have any say nor any desire to have any say on what they want to do there. I don’t think that it’s particularly healthy to cultivate an echo chamber of infinite back patting for having the “correct” opinions, but I believe in free will, so I leave people to make their own choices on their own page. 

But this forum is not your personal Internet home. You have not graciously invited other users over. This is not even a space that you personally rented for a period of time where you get a say in what goes on. This is Reaper’s space where they have made the rules and they have made it clear time and time again what sort of behaviour they expect to see in this shared space. This is a forum where off topic chatter that is not even deemed as sensitive subject matter routinely gets removed from threads to streamline them. A forum where people were told that they had to stop doing their own personal ongoing WIP threads because if they wanted a blog they should go and make a blog. A forum where despite the fact that the company creates and sells and has pictures up on their retail site of completely naked figures, forum members are expected to only link to pictures of their personal pictures of those same figures. They have made it clear that their rules are their rules and they do not have to make sense to you personally; when you signed up to this forum, you signed up to follow those rules. 

But when you make an impassioned speech about how you think that the established rules should change because you want them to and your hope is to drum up support for your point of view on how things should be, what you are doing, intentionally or not, is encouraging other people to disregard and break the rules. If what you want is to convince someone that these rules should change because you think it works so well elsewhere, then I suggest emailing these thoughts directly to Reaper because again, it’s their rules. They are who you need to convince, not the other people who are perfectly happy to abide by the rules or otherwise accept the consequences of not doing so. 

By saying these things here, you are, essentially, the people who go to a public park and think there’s nothing wrong with bringing big speakers to loudly listen to their preferred type of music and then when other people in the park complain about it and point to the clearly posted signs that say music isn't allowed to be played aside from in designated areas, their defense is that the music is great and when they play their music at other venues, the other people there are happy to listen to their music at even louder volumes so they don’t see why it’s a problem here. Well, good for you, but I signed up for peace and quiet. 

But not only, it seems to me, is the message that you should just let people play whatever music they want in the shared space, you also want to make sure that everyone knows that it’s not the music players who are the bad guys, it’s the people complaining about the music. Other places aren’t a problem because everyone agrees to the music being played but here, these pesky people keep telling us to turn down the volume instead of just enjoying it like everyone else. My opinion, on the other hand, is I don’t care if you have invited my favourite band to play in the communal area, the sign clearly says they have to play in the designated area for music, so that’s where they should go set up their instruments. 

It’s not about what any individual thinks the rules should be, it’s not about what a group of people think the rules should be, it is not even what the majority think the rules should be, it is about what Reaper has stated that the rules are and until they change those rules, the people trying to skirt around them or directly challenging them are the problem. If you don’t intend to be a part of the problem, then by all means directly contact Reaper with your suggestions. In the meantime, while I am certainly far from perfect, I’m on the side of Reaper’s rules whether I agree with every single one of them or not.

And if your takeaway from Buglips' post was that he was saying that monetized social media is bad, I just don't even know what to tell you.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I certainly consider some attitudes outside the realm of reasonable discourse. I also consider some responses to be unreasonable contributions to discourse.

But I'm not willing to respond to either here (other than to step away publicly), both because of board rules and because I come here for miniatures painting and light conversation, not politics.

If you think I have made those judgments publicly and unreasonably here, I'm willing to discuss that ... over a beer, not on the boards. If you think that one of my posts here has been unreasonable enough, I recommend reporting it (really; I don't claim to have a perfect record and if something has been disruptive, we're all better off if it disappears.)

Not unusually for us two, I shall have to politely agree to differ.

I feel we should be reporting each other less and discussing things, (in a civilised manner,) more.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

Not unusually for us two, I shall have to politely agree to differ.

I feel we should be reporting each other less and discussing things, (in a civilised manner,) more.

I'm happy to discuss almost anything ... someplace else.

21 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

Happy Anniversary!

I seem to remember that 7th. Anniversary is Jet. So perhaps we should all club together and buy you a B52.

And it's Something Old, too. Wait, that's for marriages, not anniversaries. :poke:

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

37 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Oh, I straight up hate being a working mom. We're both working full time jobs, as well as trying to take care of a baby that doesn't sleep longer than 4 hours before she wakes up s wants food. Hubby can deal with it a little better, because he's used to only sleeping 3 hours a night. For me it's miserable. 

But I don't feel it's fair to Hubby to have to work so much. Aside from the fact that I'll hardly see him. But until I'm done breastfeeding, it's just not practical to have both of us working, even if I only worked part time. 

I'm just gonna to have to make it up to him by taking really good care of him and the house, so the time we do have together will be good, quality time.

Then I'm happy you get to be the kind of mom you want to be. Don't beat yourself up too much; you're signing up for a ton of work here too, even if there is no monetary compensation.

• Like 11

Poor Grumpy. I'm celebrating his getting an actual to goodness day off by taking him rollerskating.

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

38 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

Happy Anniversary!

I seem to remember that 7th. Anniversary is Jet. So perhaps we should all club together and buy you a B52.

Only if it's the kind that sings :lol:

• Haha 10

55 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

My mom just wished Hubby and I happy 7th anniversary. I had completely forgot :lol: 

Maybe I'll make shrimp to go with my raviolis, instead of chicken. Make it anniversary fancy :rolleyes:

Oh, I straight up hate being a working mom. We're both working full time jobs, as well as trying to take care of a baby that doesn't sleep longer than 4 hours before she wakes up s wants food. Hubby can deal with it a little better, because he's used to only sleeping 3 hours a night. For me it's miserable. 

But I don't feel it's fair to Hubby to have to work so much. Aside from the fact that I'll hardly see him. But until I'm done breastfeeding, it's just not practical to have both of us working, even if I only worked part time. 

I'm just gonna to have to make it up to him by taking really good care of him and the house, so the time we do have together will be good, quality time.

Happy anniversary!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

Happy Anniversary!

16 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

And it's Something Old, too. Wait, that's for marriages, not anniversaries. :poke:

So, a Junkers Jumo 109-004 engine, then?

• Like 7

Grump is the breadwinner right now.

When I was an assistant manager at BAM I made more than he did.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Poor Grumpy. I'm celebrating his getting an actual to goodness day off by taking him rollerskating.

UlSjv0B.jpg

• Haha 6