Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

3 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

There's a certain sort of art director that regularly pitches new jobs to photographers, or graphic designers, or artists (or whoever) as, "Do this thing for me for free and I'll publish it and everyone will see it and the exposure will cause everybody to want your thing and pay you for it."

True enough. And freedom of speech, and all that. And every artist to whom I have ever spoken (except musicians for some reason) regard this sort of person as the second coming of Satan.

Can't say it ever occurred to me to try. But apparently, it's a growing thing, so what do I know?

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Just another part of our world.  Its crazy our there.  Heard a commercial a few days ago from a bunch of gangster rappers (you know, the ones who's lyrics are about drugs murder and other illegal activity) telling everyone not to pirate music because its illegal...

Translation: We're not making any money off of it.

But enough of that, MOAR RANDOM NONSENSE!!!!!!!!

7417486_orig.jpg.5f6e8218d86cd0a3eb94ec93deb11394.jpg

• Haha 14

In the film version of "Twelve Angry Men," starring Henry Fonda and the eleven best character actors in Hollywood, they made the jury room more claustrophobic as the film progresses by moving the walls closer to the jury table.

Aside from a brief prologue and epilogue, the entire movie happens in that jury room. Excellent film.

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

*flops on the couch. Interview over. Job acquired.

Congrats! Now tell us more!

4 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

In the film version of "Twelve Angry Men," starring Henry Fonda and the eleven best character actors in Hollywood, they made the jury room more claustrophobic as the film progresses by moving the walls closer to the jury table.

Aside from a brief prologue and epilogue, the entire movie happens in that jury room. Excellent film.

And yes, one of the finest films around. If you have never seen it, find it!

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

*flops on the couch. Interview over. Job acquired.

Congrats! 

Purple... Also, uhm...  How'd you get a couch into my living room? /purple 

• Haha 9

8 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Congrats! Now tell us more!

Not much to tell, it's for the guest service desk position at one of the hotels here. 25-40 hours per week, and the is the busy season for them. Had the interview at 2 pm today, and they called me within 2 hours afterwards to offer me the job. Pay isn't great but there's supposed to be evaluations every 3 months for a pay raise. I remain hopeful, and it pays more than I make now (currently $0).

10 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Congrats! 

Purple... Also, uhm...  How'd you get a couch into my living room? /purple 

Magic. ::P:

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

*stomps in to the room and throws herself down on the couch*

I just realized that Reaper won’t be at GenCon.  What am I gonna spend my money on now?! :angry:

• Sad 10

24 minutes ago, AutumnHare said:

*stomps in to the room and throws herself down on the couch*

I just realized that Reaper won’t be at GenCon.  What am I gonna spend my money on now?! :angry:

*looks up from the couch that he had been laying on* Ummmm........excuse me? Ma'am?

• Haha 11

Wife had follow up appointment on her Cataract and Glaucoma Surgery today.

Dr. gave an excellent report.  Cataract Surgery is healing nicely and the combined Glaucoma Procedure worked so well she can stop using the drops she's been on for nearly two decades in that eye.

All in All, a very good day.

GEM

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I think I just spoke with someone from an alternate earth, where money was never invented. Dude seemed genuinely confused as to why a cab company or a hotel would demand payment for their services. :wacko:

I had a guy call me a vulture and cuss me out on Tuesday night because I wrote him a ticket over an hour and a half after his meter expired. The phone call even started out with him saying "I got a ticket a 8:10, but when I parked at 5 I paid until 6:30 so I don't know why you gave me a ticket that quickly." The he went on to yell about how he was at a bar drinking, and then went to dinner at a restaurant, and that I should be happy he spent money at those places("I probably spent $50 or $60 tonight!") and I was a vulture for giving him a ticket so soon.

8 hours ago, aku-chan said:

This chicken marinade I've made smells yummy, it's just a shame I didn't read the recipe yesterday though, then I could've left it overnight.

I know that, scientifically, letting meat marinate for more than an hour or two is pointless. The marinade hardly penetrates the meat, and it won't penetrate any further if it sits longer. In fact, marinating is almost, but not quite, pointless in cooking because of that. It's only really good for imparting salt and a small handful of flavors such as onion and garlic, because they're water soluble and will actually soak into the meat a bit. Everything else just kind of gets on the surface of the meat and goes no further.

But I still marinate. Because it's a psychological thing for me. But if I wanted to be scientific, I'd brine the meat with onion and garlic, which would give pretty much the same effect and be cheaper.

• Like 8