Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

Eldest has been going off to the university pub quiz every now and then.

The other night her team named themselves “CATS II: Electric Mewgaloo,.”

I might have to steal umm... borrow this for the pub quiz I go to weekly...

47 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

One of the photography websites that I read regularly had a link today to a music video. From the source, you can probably figure out that it was a very innovative photo shoot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxHK7JfeMTc

If you watch the video, pay attention to exactly what is happening. (The video is a single take with no cuts.) And then watch the interviews and full BTS linked below the video. It's pretty amazing.

And while the music isn't quite a genre that I would normally listen to, I've decided that I really like the song anyway.

I thought OK Go had done one like that, but can't find it with a quick search. So I'll just drop these ones... 

https://youtu.be/QvW61K2s0tA

https://youtu.be/m86ae_e_ptU

https://youtu.be/MejbOFk7H6c

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I doubt it.

From what you describe I don't think the "defendant" has the mental capacity to connect the dots.

Nah, you could see the dawning realization of how stupid he was on his face in the courtroom.

12 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

On the drunk from last night, do you have any means to officially report them for drunk driving?

GEM

I mean, I know his car and his plate and everything, but after the fact it's nearly impossible to do anything with unless there's video evidence that clearly shows him driving and it's obvious from the video that he's impaired in some fashion. DUI is one of those things that has a hard time being prosecuted unless you're caught in the act. Which is why so many DUI wrecks that don't involve injury end up with the drunk running off before the cops show up. When that happens all the drunk has to say if they're picked up soon after, even in as short a time as half an hour later, is that they drank after the wreck. It throws enough doubt into the process that they'll probably get charged with leaving the scene of an accident rather than something DUI related. Because once a person is out of sight, there's no way to prove that they didn't just slam a full bottle of vodka after the wreck but before being found. Any decent DUI lawyer will have a field day with that situation.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

*looks up from the couch that he had been laying on* Ummmm........excuse me? Ma'am?

*grumpy teenager*  Sooooory.  Didn’t see you there. Hope you’re ok.  *shuffles until she is only taking up half the couch*  Oh and the cute little mouse too.

I mean. Life is just So Unfair, ya know? All I wanted to do was spend money and now.  I can’t.  They did this to me on purpose.  They clearly want me to be miserable and mini-less.

Anyway. Sorry for sitting on you two.  Least I can do is share my snack with you.  Want some of my organic, gmo free, vegan jerky? *offers bag of Maple-Bacon flavor* And I made a batch of raspberry smoothies. ::):

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Pingo said:

Eldest has been going off to the university pub quiz every now and then.

The other night her team named themselves “CATS II: Electric Mewgaloo,.”

We really do need a squinchy face Like option. ::P:

The Auld Grump

4 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

*flops on the couch. Interview over. Job acquired.

We are temporarily losing one of our players for that reason. ::):

He's been out of work for a few months, and had reached the Living on Ramen and Game Night Pizza stage.

Training is taking place during our normal gaming hours, but after that he is being blessed with A Regular Schedule.

There is much rejoicing.

The Auld Grump

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Pez, check on Paradoxical Mouse, she was last seen riding in your pocket!

Don't worry, it's an extra-dimensional pocket. I don't even think that it's on this plane of existence. *smacks chest pocket*

15 minutes ago, AutumnHare said:

*grumpy teenager*  Sooooory.  Didn’t see you there. Hope you’re ok.  *shuffles until she is only taking up half the couch*  Oh and the cute little mouse too.

I mean. Life is just So Unfair, ya know? All I wanted to do was spend money and now.  I can’t.  They did this to me on purpose.  They clearly want me to be miserable and mini-less.

Anyway. Sorry for sitting on you two.  Least I can do is share my snack with you.  Want some of my organic, gmo free, vegan jerky? *offers bag of Maple-Bacon flavor* And I made a batch of raspberry smoothies. ::):

Why do you hate me so? ::(:

And look on the bright side, now you'll have more money saved up for when Bones 5 begins! ::):

• Haha 8

Completely unconnected - I was once again sacrificed to the Gods of Karaoke.

Didn't win this time, but had a good time - once again choosing a song that is less subversive than people think - Walk Right In. ::): People think its about the drug culture of the 1960s - but it is really about the cakewalk, and written in the twenties.

The Rooftop Singers performed it in the 60s because Gus Cannon - the original artist - was broke and in an old age home - so they did the song to send a little money his way.

Similarly, the Mighty Quinn is about a movie.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sOy7CMR88A

Next week... I think I may take a more truly subversive song - White Rabbit. (Which is about what people think it's about.)

The Auld Grump - how long Sea Dog will be sticking to the sixties for their karaoke...?

Might as well link to Gus Cannon

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 9
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Grump, you need to do "Old Time Rock N Roll"...

Honestly, I'd be happier with an Open Mic Blues Night. ::P: (Blues and Jazz are too improvisational to really work for karaoke.)

Took all of my money, went down to the track,

Put down all the money on a five to one hack.

Horses started runnin', when the race it was done

Godammit all, my horse had just won!

Got the ain't got nothin' to sing about, everything's copacetic blues.

If you wanna sing the blues, baby, sometimes ya gotta lose...

Me and my lady got into a fight.

A yelling and a screamin' long into the night.

I packed up my bags, to walk out of sight,

My baby done said 'no, you were right'.

Got the ain't got nothin' to sing about, everything's copacetic blues.

If you wanna sing the blues, baby, sometimes ya gotta lose...

The Auld Grump - next up, The White Collar Holler - https://youtu.be/rsDkmVo2fg4

*EDIT* These forums are getting worse and worse at handling links....

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Normally, Frog God games includes free PDFs with the purchase of their books.

Right now they have free books with the purchase of the PDFs for their Pathfinder books.

I made the mistake of buying only the PDF for The Blight - tonight I corrected that mistake.

Anyone familiar with The Blight knows whom I am using this Sophie for -

77491_w_1.jpg

The Auld Grump

No, not one of the good guys....

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

One of the photography websites that I read regularly had a link today to a music video. From the source, you can probably figure out that it was a very innovative photo shoot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxHK7JfeMTc

If you watch the video, pay attention to exactly what is happening. (The video is a single take with no cuts.) And then watch the interviews and full BTS linked below the video. It's pretty amazing.

And while the music isn't quite a genre that I would normally listen to, I've decided that I really like the song anyway.

That was nicely done.  Reminds me of Coldplay's "The Scientist" video, but that was done with multiple cuts.  (I'll admit right now that I don't KNOW how Coldplay did their video, but it's pretty obvious that they're doing something similar.)  

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Unruly said:

had a guy call me a vulture and cuss me out on Tuesday night because I wrote him a ticket over an hour and a half after his meter expired. The phone call even started out with him saying "I got a ticket a 8:10, but when I parked at 5 I paid until 6:30 so I don't know why you gave me a ticket that quickly." The he went on to yell about how he was at a bar drinking, and then went to dinner at a restaurant, and that I should be happy he spent money at those places("I probably spent $50 or $60 tonight!") and I was a vulture for giving him a ticket so soon.

Jeez, leave your car out that long out here you'll be calling the cops about your car being stolen, only to be told to not be an idiot next time and pay for proper amount of time on the meter...  Then get the explanation of your vehicle is now either in PVSL (Police Seized Vehicles Lot) if you're lucky, or the lot for the company that towed the vehicle itself... 

Either way, the parking bill will be the least of your worries, doubly so if it's in the tow company's lot because half the companies in town will send your vehicle to the auction after just a few days... PVSL it's just the something like $250 plus daily fees you have to worry about - oh, and they count days, not business days, aaaand the lot's usually closed for access on the weekends, and any vehicle they tow usually has to simmer for at least three days... 

Meanwhile, the people who check on meters are usually surprised I'm quite polite to them... They're nice to us, and on top of that, they're just doing their job.  That and many a time I've gotten out of tickets thanks to the local city meter people ("that's a funny looking tour bus" said by an older gentleman is my most memorable one, to which he then told me three other areas I could park if the 5 minute parking and all the meters were full)... 

... Im not saying they'll look the other way if you're doing something stupid (I paid $250 because I didn't notice a sign had been put up in an area), but one would be amazed at just how lenient and/or flexible some can be just because you're nice. 

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Normally, Frog God games includes free PDFs with the purchase of their books.

Right now they have free books with the purchase of the PDFs for their Pathfinder books.

I made the mistake of buying only the PDF for The Blight - tonight I corrected that mistake.

That's an incredibly good deal...

Too bad I don't play Pathfinder anymore. Not that I never will again, but it's doubtful. I enjoy 5e too much. Still might bite, because I can always try for conversions on the stuff that hasn't made it to 5e yet.

25 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Jeez, leave your car out that long out here you'll be calling the cops about your car being stolen, only to be told to not be an idiot next time and pay for proper amount of time on the meter...  Then get the explanation of your vehicle is now either in PVSL (Police Seized Vehicles Lot) if you're lucky, or the lot for the company that towed the vehicle itself... 

Either way, the parking bill will be the least of your worries, doubly so if it's in the tow company's lot because half the companies in town will send your vehicle to the auction after just a few days... PVSL it's just the something like $250 plus daily fees you have to worry about - oh, and they count days, not business days, aaaand the lot's usually closed for access on the weekends, and any vehicle they tow usually has to simmer for at least three days... 

Meanwhile, the people who check on meters are usually surprised I'm quite polite to them... They're nice to us, and on top of that, they're just doing their job.  That and many a time I've gotten out of tickets thanks to the local city meter people ("that's a funny looking tour bus" said by an older gentleman is my most memorable one, to which he then told me three other areas I could park if the 5 minute parking and all the meters were full)... 

... Im not saying they'll look the other way if you're doing something stupid (I paid $250 because I didn't notice a sign had been put up in an area), but one would be amazed at just how lenient and/or flexible some can be just because you're nice. 

Yea, politeness will get you a long way. And we're not big enough to have our own impound yard. I wish we did, though. It'd be a lot better than using local tow companies all the time. And then we'd be able to tow the stuff that generally should be, but isn't because we're not going to wait an hour for a tow truck all the time. Like people that block fire hydrants and fire lanes.

Relatedly, people are dumb. My coworker and I were leaving our office when we saw a girl checking the back of her car in our adjacent parking lot. When we got there, we notice the meter post behind her car is at an angle and the asphalt is pulled up some. My coworker asks her "Did you just back into that meter?" and her response is "Yea, but it didn't do anything to my car." I check the meter some, then got ready to call the cops to file the report. While I'm dialing, she gets in her car, pulls it into a space in the private lot that's at the back of our lot, and goes into her apartment that's back there. The cops come outside(our office is the same building as their station), and go to the apartment and she refuses to answer the door for the first 5 minutes of them knocking. When she finally comes out, she tells the cops she doesn't think she did it. Now, I'm all for innocent until proven guilty. But when you're caught immediately after the fact inspecting your car and the post, and then when asked about it on scene you flatly admit to it, it kind of makes any later statement of "I didn't do it" a bit suspect.

What does surprise me is that there really was no damage to her car. And it was a Honda sedan of a model year sometime in the last decade. They're not exactly known for indestructible bumpers. However, that post had been replaced relatively recently after being hit by someone else, so it may not have been anchored in as well as the others that have been there since the last time the lot was paved. Or she didn't hit it hard and fast, but rather slowly pushed into it and the plastic of the bumper deformed and sprang back rather than cracking.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 5
  • Confused 3

Impact under 3mph,  the bumper could have easily withstood it. 

Why is the post positioned such that a vehicle can knock it over?

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, TGP said:

Impact under 3mph,  the bumper could have easily withstood it. 

Why is the post positioned such that a vehicle can knock it over?

It's a meter post in a parking lot. She backed up more than 2 car lengths from the spot she was in(she'd been ticketed for an unpaid meter 2 hours prior) and hit it.

And I just checked the FGG site, and to add all their big PF adventure books that haven't seen 5e conversions to my collection it would cost me around $150. That's actually a doable thing in the near-ish future. I may get a couple of them now...

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 5