Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Forum is still not like it should be.

Replying takes forever.

See you all tomorrow, hoping it will be fixed by then.

• Like 3

Well, I found everything. But I sent my buddy a text about an hour ago to see if he was still up for kings of war today and he hasn't replied. I would just drive over, but after all the rain we had last night it's now coated in snow outside, which means there's gonna be a lot of ice, and his driveway is steep. I want to make sure it's been treated by his landlord before I even attempt it.

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

COFFEE!!!

Also, the forum is being super slow... Maybe someone should go give the server a nice hot cup too. 

Still slow, but at least it's back up. Was AWOL earlier. At least it's quit snowing, just cold.  Froggy though, disappointed me, I wanted XV to be "Stay calm and feed Redambrosia!"

• Like 4

sorting through stuff for upcoming move. having a hard time deciding which games to keep and which to dump. I mean the I will definitely play this again and I will never are easy, its all the stuff in between that's hard. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

COFFEE!!!

Also, the forum is being super slow... Maybe someone should go give the server a nice hot cup too. 

That must be it! I've been having problems accessing the forums today too, glad it's not just me I was beginning to get worried!

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Probably why we're not allowed to let threads go over 1,000 pages... 

I did wonder that too! We took things too far... and paid the price...

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

And I can't find my white glue, or my Ronaldo the Bard figure, or a bunch more of my Mantic terrain that should all be in the same bag as the Ronaldo the Bard figure. I also can't find my Blaine the Mercenary figure, either and he was a Kickstarter exclusive resin.

I am not a happy boy.

I hate misplacing things too! I'm sure it'll turn up, I recently did an "inventory" of my painted miniatures and my Grave Minions (last used for a game on halloween) have gone AWOL- I'm hoping those will turn up too!  Are you needing those figures for a game soon or were you planning on painting them soon or something?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I went to sleep before I could read this yesterday.

And today the Forum was down most of the time, still superslow to me.

Anyway.

Here is an older pic from Brutus

IMG-20171228-WA0003.jpg

Brutus is a great looking pup! Give him a belly rub for me!

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Tripleh5133 said:

FB_IMG_1547919043177.jpg.7de00b8c884f0c10d83b821ec68e8030.jpg

I'm waiting for 2 books that are supposed to be coming on Purolator. I've been at the house in town a lot lately and because I'm waiting on Purolator I've noticed one of their trucks goes by here almost every day. Now after waiting 2 weeks I get a message that there's a problem with delivering my books. Need to call them to find out what.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Contemplating upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 finally .. 

Access to DirectX 12 games ( Forza, I'm looking at you!) would be nice..

That crazy, stupid, we-think-we're-a-tablet interface.. not so nice.. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Yeah, it really is a pain to transition to the new Windows 10, I still dislike it.

• Like 5

Really, do I need a half-inch tall slider button for on/off settings?  I 'm on 27" monitors, not a 10" tablet... 

but, games... (and I just found out a bit ago that the not-free-anymore free windows 7 to 10 upgrade is still free)

• Like 4

I'm taking a free online photography course through Michigan State University through Coursera. I'm hoping if nothing else I'll be able to get better pictures of my minis. And maybe better vacation photos... So far I haven't learned much I didn't already know/remember from high school, which is really surprising to me. But I guess having many photography friends helps that some.

ETA: This is a set of 5 courses (including a capstone) that will take roughly 7 months. I'm hoping to see results before then but who knows.

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 12

I will blame most of it on that I am a stubborn dinosaur who dislikes app based systems. However, it was poorly designed in that you often have to go through many extra steps to be able to run older Windows' programs. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MiniDungeonMaster said:

I hate misplacing things too! I'm sure it'll turn up, I recently did an "inventory" of my painted miniatures and my Grave Minions (last used for a game on halloween) have gone AWOL- I'm hoping those will turn up too!  Are you needing those figures for a game soon or were you planning on painting them soon or something?

Was going to need them for today. But I found them, and now I don't need them because the game has been cancelled due to my opponent's friend having a death in the family. So he's going out to visit him today, and we'll play tomorrow instead since I have the holiday off.

34 minutes ago, eldamir said:

Contemplating upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 finally .. 

Access to DirectX 12 games ( Forza, I'm looking at you!) would be nice..

That crazy, stupid, we-think-we're-a-tablet interface.. not so nice.. 

Eh. It's not Win8. You can make it look like Win8 if you want to, but I don't know why you would. Other than being "flatter" in its UI design and having some iffy choices in how you access certain options, it's not that much different than Win7 from a usability standpoint for the layman. Power users will have more complaints, but for the most part it's not terrible.

Now, the whole "we're gonna automatically install apps you never asked for because their developer paid us" and the "you don't get to choose when to update" things are dumber than hell. Especially since they've run into multiple cases where an update will render certain computers totally unusable. Most recently that happened with a bunch of Lenovo laptops. And they even removed update control from the enterprise users! That's phenomenally stupid. I can understand the Home version not having it, because the large majority of Home users are going to be people that don't know what they're doing, and then never update and so they're now the unwitting pawn of 6 different botnets at once. But the Professional and Enterprise editions should have total control over the updates. Anyone that's paying the premium for the Professional edition should have an idea of what the heck they're doing, and if they don't update it's usually for a reason. If they get owned because they didn't get a certain patch, it's their own fault. Same thing with Enterprise, except even more so because it means they're licensing for something like a minimum of 50 computers and should have an IT department to take care of that stuff.

19 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I will blame most of it on that I am a stubborn dinosaur who dislikes app based systems. However, it was poorly designed in that you often have to go through many extra steps to be able to run older Windows' programs. 

Eh. It depends on how old they are. Pretty much anything from the Vista era onwards(so 2007 on) will run fine or with minimal effort. But beyond that you start to run into bigger issues now and again. However, many of Windows' problems are because MS has kept adding kludge over the years to maintain backwards compatibility. With Win10 they finally said "enough is enough" and started to phase out the built in support for programs from 15+ years ago. As a result, Win10 is more secure than previous Windows releases have been, and it's generally more stable in regular use. That's not high praise, considering Windows' history, but it's still praise. The tradeoff is that older programs that relied on bits of old code now have issues running. It's a natural part of computing.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Anyone that's paying the premium for the Professional edition should have an idea of what the heck they're doing, and if they don't update it's usually for a reason. If they get owned because they didn't get a certain patch, it's their own fault. Same thing with Enterprise, except even more so because it means they're licensing for something like a minimum of 50 computers and should have an IT department to take care of that stuff.

Yup, like that absolutely awful October 2018 patch that went out and uhm, well...  Had a really bad habit of nuking all of your data..  That they've pulled something like four times now, every time suffering the exact same problem....

EDIT: Probably one of the only reasons I haven't "upgraded" to Windows 10 is that they've taken so much away from power users, the forced installation of various bits of software (like Skype - hubby has to uninstall it twice a week), the fact it'll randomly nuke software it doesn't quite like even if it's legit, the fact it will try and claim it isn't a legit copy every now and then (despite being legit), aand the worst of them all, at least for me....  That real time clock bug.  It doesn't affect normal users, but if you're a bencher and don't have a motherboard with a dedicated clock module on the motherboard (Z170 aka 6770K CPUs and later) it can really mess around with certain things on Windows 8 and 10.

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 4