Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

46 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

People who spend 1/20th to 1/40th of that are willing to teach you new words...

Credit card readers in the car wash industry tend to have a really short life span - 1-3 years on average.  This is because car washes are incredible harsh environments for electronics - lots of water, chemicals, blowing dirt, etc.  The company I contract to warranties new systems for 1 year, but after that, card readers only get a 90 day warranty.  And these aren't cheap card readers - they have to be built as tough as we can make them.  But they're just relatively inexpensive "wear" items of a much larger, more expensive system. 

this explains why so many of the local car washes have dollar and token machines tucked far away in one corner of the lot that take credit cards and the only systems in the washing areas take tokens or quarters.  I am guessing the coin systems are much more mechanical and therefore less prone to failure?  Usually works for me.  about the time my car needs to go to a car wash I have collected enough spare change...

43 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I've found the only effective solution to be a DM, backed up by the other players, willing to declare "House Rules" and disallow game breaking combinations, no matter what the published rules say.

Only exception to the above being under actual tournament rules and conditions.

GEM

Which is what we usually have to do but the amount of screaming and pouting that goes on when you tell someone they cant use a build they found on the internet because its too powerful for the campaign can be pretty impressive.  What's even sadder is when you ask about backstory or origins and get 'I just want to use the character and kill things'  as an answer.  To be fair: there are games where this works and I'm fine with it, but I have begun wanting to play in worlds where the challenge is to find ways to get the character to a point without a path of blood that you can see from space.

33 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Players being rule orcs?

Shouldn't they be playing 40K or something, instead?

I have often thought that the people playing maxed builds would be happier in Warhammer or some other game where the point is to maximize your resources to achieve a specific goal. 

33 minutes ago, Argentee said:

*collapses into the forum near tears* I'm going to have to try and finish my entries at Reapercon. My mother needs full time care and refuses to hire anyone and she is running me ragged. 

So sorry to hear that.  My father was living with us for 8 months just before he passed away and needed full time care and also would have none of any outside help.  If they are competent and you cant control their finances there isn't much to do except ask them to contribute to the household costs.  If they will do that (which is what we got from my father) or you can get control over some of their assets, you can use that money to help support you while you support them.  It's not the best arrangement but at least it can lift some of the stress.

5 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Storytelling-style games tend not to have those discussions at all, for a variety of reasons revolving around the way that they're written and the social contract agreed to (at least implicitly) by the kind of people who play them. FWIW, the next game I expect to GM is very much a system-light storytelling game. But it's not going to be run with Pathfinder, GURPS, HERO, or D&D rules.

for curiosity's sake:  which rule system are you thinking of using?

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

... I have begun wanting to play in worlds where the challenge is to find ways to get the character to a point without a path of blood that you can see from space.

Sounds like you need worlds with absorptive soils. :B):

7 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

for curiosity's sake:  which rule system are you thinking of using?

Scum & Villainy. I'm thinking of starting the PCs on the Free Trader Beowulf, which is having a bad day (though probably not a pirate attack) and leaving them with the responsibility of first saving the ship and then paying for repairs if they want to keep the ship.

And abandoning virtually all of the world native to the game. And not using the Traveller world either. Something similar to the Honor Harrington universe crossed with the Kai Vatta universe  and the Starfire universe and seasoned to taste.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

I have Myst laying around somewhere... on 3.5" floppies... for Mac... 

I also have Riven, the sequel to Myst, somewhere. 

I never really got anywhere in those games. 

I have Riven sitting on its CDs on a shelf. Alongside it is the "strategy guide" which is basically just a walkthrough. One of the things that I could never get over with those games is that it's entirely possible to ruin a playthrough with no chance of recovery by accidentally triggering something early. Either it gives you a hint that it displays one time, and only one time, and if you missed it(or forgot it) you're screwed, or you did something out of sequence and there's no way to reset it so you can't progress.

• Like 6

Beginning to think my bits order from Privateer Press' online store is lost in time. I can't find a email in regards to the order. I didn't sign up for a account there due to I just don't deal with PP minis all that often enough to warrant adding my name to it. August 1st or 2nd or even the 3rd is when I placed the order. It's very small order like 4 pieces (bird of prey) for a total of like 7 dollars so who knows.

I just sent them a contact email asking about the order. Luckily I don't need the minis for a few more weeks.

• Sad 5

Odd. Because of two different kickstarters that delivered this month I now have minis for, Priss who is a replicant, and Priss who is the front woman for the replicants. I need to find an excuse to put both on the table at the same time

• Like 5

What a day. Not as bad as some but annoying. Was supposed to butcher so we'd get some meat. Got everything ready and called the butcher to make sure he'd be around to through the carcass in the meat locker. No answer. Had this date set by him 6 weeks ago. Called every hour until 2 pm. Didn't want to shoot the animal and then have nowhere to put it. When we came back to town we stopped by his shop and they're gone on vacation this week. I'm a patient forgiving person but this kind of ticked me off. Couldn't tell me that today wasn't going to work? So did a bunch of prep for nothing and don't know when we'll get fresh meat.

While waiting I decided to repair my breaking disc. I had most of the necessary parts. It's not a complex job but things are heavy. There's 2 ways to put things together. We stuck half of it together backwards, took it apart and stuck the other half together backwards the second time. :blush: Third time managed to do it properly. By this time we'd been lifting hundreds of pounds of steal for a couple hours and were kind of tired so didn't quite finish assembling that gang. Life's hard, real hard when you're stupid. Also had one small pin that wedged in it's hole and needed to get it out. Tried hammering it and drilling it but nothing I did really touched it. Finally got it out by heating the big shaft around the hole cherry red with a oxy/acetylene torch and hitting it with a 10 pound sledgehammer. 

After getting home I needed to make a phone call to get the last couple parts for it. We can't find them in Canada but my local dealer gave me a number to call in Montana. Took her nearly an hour to find that much and I'm impressed she was able to because I was hitting a wall in my searches. They said they didn't have them in stock so I should call his distributor in Idaho. He said he had the parts but couldn't ship them to a person, only a company and not outside the US. He didn't some searching and found a dealer that's only 70 miles from me. Took me over an hour to get through to them and the reaction I got was, "You wants parts for a what? I've never even heard of them!" Explained who gave me his info and that they had what I needed and he was able to get it straightened out for me. I'm just happy we actually found the %@# things. It shouldn't be that hard but sometimes it is.

So I'm frustrated, sore and tired after doing several hours of work and several hours of phone calls to accomplish what should have take a couple hours total. Happy that it appears to be successful (other than the butchering) at least.

• Like 3
  • Sad 11

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Sounds like you need worlds with absorptive soils. :B):

Surprisingly, an effective and high level police force is rather effective.  even better when you have the guy with the permanent ability to nullify magic. The group never expected to be arrested, even though they had been told the police force is effective and formidable by the person paying them to do the job.  After the second party got to rot in prison for life, they gave up and actually started playing but they didnt like it as much. 

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Scum & Villainy. I'm thinking of starting the PCs on the Free Trader Beowulf, which is having a bad day (though probably not a pirate attack) and leaving them with the responsibility of first saving the ship and then paying for repairs if they want to keep the ship.

And abandoning virtually all of the world native to the game. And not using the Traveller world either. Something similar to the Honor Harrington universe crossed with the Kai Vatta universe  and the Starfire universe and seasoned to taste.

Sounds fun.  Introducing them to the reasons why you never set foot on a starship named Beowulf? 

• Haha 8

So this morning when I went to bed it was a case where I was so tired that, when I shut the lights off and hit the pillow, I was out in no time at all. Woke up this evening an hour before my alarm, with a stiff neck and a headache. Gotta go to work, it's my Monday, and the students are flooding back into town this week.

I took some aspirin, took my shower, sat in it for a few minutes extra with the head set of massage for my neck and shoulders, and hit my neck and shoulders with some tiger balm red. I now smell delicious, but tiger balm red on a sunburn is a bit unpleasant.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 1
  • Sad 12

48 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Surprisingly, an effective and high level police force is rather effective.  even better when you have the guy with the permanent ability to nullify magic. The group never expected to be arrested, even though they had been told the police force is effective and formidable by the person paying them to do the job.  After the second party got to rot in prison for life, they gave up and actually started playing but they didnt like it as much. 

One of the things about a high-magic society is that there would (well, should anyway) be a bunch of precautions against high magic. Which is fine in-game.

But it sounds like trying to solve out-of-game problems with in-game solutions, which I've not found to be very effective. Though I didn't necessarily find that out the easy way, it must be said.

48 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Sounds fun.  Introducing them to the reasons why you never set foot on a starship named Beowulf? 

I've always thought the cover of black box was one of the most evocative game covers ever, so I decided to use it for inspiration. And since S&V really supports in medias res openings, it seemed an apposite time.

I haven't decided whether to even mention that cover to the players, though. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

One of the things about a high-magic society is that there would (well, should anyway) be a bunch of precautions against high magic. Which is fine in-game.

But it sounds like trying to solve out-of-game problems with in-game solutions, which I've not found to be very effective. Though I didn't necessarily find that out the easy way, it must be said.

I've always thought the cover of black box was one of the most evocative game covers ever, so I decided to use it for inspiration. And since S&V really supports in medias res openings, it seemed an apposite time.

I haven't decided whether to even mention that cover to the players, though. 

To be fair, this was after multiple warnings and comments from the players about how the police would never do anything to them, they were PCs.  then they attacked an Aztek arcology (this was shadowrun) and got the house police involved.   It went downhill quickly for them from there. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

2 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

To be fair, this was after multiple warnings and comments from the players about how the police would never do anything to them, they were PCs.  then they attacked an Aztek arcology (this was shadowrun) and got the house police involved.   It went downhill quickly for them from there. 

Did they not understand the premise of Shadowrun? You're going to tangle with the cops. Most of the stuff you're doing in that game is illegal somewhere, and corpo-nations will send their cops anywhere.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Anybody ever play that Kingmaker PC game?

Sadly I backed the KS but I've yet to download it to my PC. I should really try & do that.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Oh, I probably would have done something similar as the GM. (That whole learning the hard way thing.)

But I'd like to think that I would regret it afterward.

I'm not sure that I would, though. :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Anybody ever play that Kingmaker PC game?

At length. Very great length.

It was buggy at launch, which isn't surprising to me at all, given that it was a complex new rules set from a small company. But even at launch it was very deep. And now that the bugs have mostly been exterminated it's very strong. I would compare it favorably to the Baldur's Gate series.

It's very deep, with many meaningful choices (that significantly change game play) throughout the game. I would not recommend amping up the difficulty from default, though. It can get punishing very quickly indeed. And it helps a great deal to know the tabletop Pathfinder rules, because the game doesn't really explain very much.

Highly recommended for people like me, which, since I'm like me, turned out great. :poke:

• Like 9