Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

4 hours ago, Unruly said:

Yea, the forums have been wonky since around 3am Eastern last night. I was trying to check them while I was at work and standing around in a garage, but couldn't.

Today I'm hoping to play some Kings of War. I gotta drag out my army and see what bits are broken, and use white glue to put together my giant first. White glue only because I'm gonna be disassembling him again.

Just a thought, but we did have visit from @buglips*the*goblin shortly before the works started to gum up.

GEM

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

7 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Just a thought, but we did have visit from @buglips*the*goblin shortly before the works started to gum up.

GEM

We never should have let him build that window......

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

Was going to need them for today. But I found them, and now I don't need them because the game has been cancelled due to my opponent's friend having a death in the family. So he's going out to visit him today, and we'll play tomorrow instead since I have the holiday off.

Eh. It's not Win8. You can make it look like Win8 if you want to, but I don't know why you would. Other than being "flatter" in its UI design and having some iffy choices in how you access certain options, it's not that much different than Win7 from a usability standpoint for the layman. Power users will have more complaints, but for the most part it's not terrible.

Now, the whole "we're gonna automatically install apps you never asked for because their developer paid us" and the "you don't get to choose when to update" things are dumber than hell. Especially since they've run into multiple cases where an update will render certain computers totally unusable. Most recently that happened with a bunch of Lenovo laptops. And they even removed update control from the enterprise users! That's phenomenally stupid. I can understand the Home version not having it, because the large majority of Home users are going to be people that don't know what they're doing, and then never update and so they're now the unwitting pawn of 6 different botnets at once. But the Professional and Enterprise editions should have total control over the updates. Anyone that's paying the premium for the Professional edition should have an idea of what the heck they're doing, and if they don't update it's usually for a reason. If they get owned because they didn't get a certain patch, it's their own fault. Same thing with Enterprise, except even more so because it means they're licensing for something like a minimum of 50 computers and should have an IT department to take care of that stuff.

Eh. It depends on how old they are. Pretty much anything from the Vista era onwards(so 2007 on) will run fine or with minimal effort. But beyond that you start to run into bigger issues now and again. However, many of Windows' problems are because MS has kept adding kludge over the years to maintain backwards compatibility. With Win10 they finally said "enough is enough" and started to phase out the built in support for programs from 15+ years ago. As a result, Win10 is more secure than previous Windows releases have been, and it's generally more stable in regular use. That's not high praise, considering Windows' history, but it's still praise. The tradeoff is that older programs that relied on bits of old code now have issues running. It's a natural part of computing.

Meanwhile the Penguinista in the corner just quietly smiles as his big old box on the shelf quietly chugs along, receiving notifications of updates on a regular basis and being installed at MY convenience.

As far as the backward compatibility issue goes, until Micro$oft starts to sandbox the running of any programs dependent on obsolete code the kruft will continue to accumulate and break things with increasing frequency.

GEM

• Like 4

NFL = TOTAL BS!

Correction NFL refrees = Total BS!

b6064d5b5f596a1a98040c0ab92d2592--funny-

Enough said!

• Haha 4

The NFL is total BS too. How are you supposed to determine the best team when each team only plays 16 games? That means they only play each other once! That's a terrible sample size! At a minimum they should be having 32 games a season so that everyone plays everyone at least twice. Otherwise it's a terrible form of competition where a single bad game can ruin everything.

And that's not even touching on how their playoffs and championships are determined by a single game rather than a best-of series.

It's just dumb all around.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 1/19/2019 at 4:11 PM, redambrosia said:

The frog is freeeeeee!

Yes.  Yes I am.  But not that way.  Fie upon you.

On 1/19/2019 at 5:44 PM, Corsair said:

Ko4iSfQ.jpg

R.I.B.B.I.T. can neither confirm nor deny the authenticity of this photo.

21 hours ago, Corsair said:

EEEEK!

So say we all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

I think we've had this discussion before so I won't go into that again but when the whole entire season is devoted to player safety ie concussions. Tacklers not using their helmet & then obvious interference before the ball gets to a receiver, yah, I'm thoroughly ticked off right now. Game should have been over, there should have no overtime, had the blind zebras actually had the manhoods to actually do their job.

The refrees the nfl uses should use this as their logo!!

zebra.jpg

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

You mean the escape hatch? ::P:

You joke, but I actually got uprated easy-egress windows put in.  I can be out of any side of the cave in under 15 seconds.  This is useful if I experience unexpected fire again, or adventure-looters, or bill collectors, or police for no particular reason.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

Just now, buglips*the*goblin said:

You joke, but I actually got uprated easy-egress windows put in.  I can be out of any side of the cave in under 15 seconds.  This is useful if I experience unexpected fire again, or adventure-looters, or bill collectors, or police for no particular reason.  

That's some very goblin common sense right there.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

10 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Hold it right there Bub. When bill collectors or Police show up, you are supposed to be respectful, upstanding, honorable...

wait a sec,

I'm talking to a goblin.....

Nevermind

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 2
  • Haha 10

8 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Rapid window exits are what the Defenestration Station is for. If you don't know where that is, just look for the burliest, angriest looking guy in the room(he's usually by the window) and throw a punch at him. He'll then point you in the direction of the nearest Defenestration Station, usually at a rapid rate of acceleration.

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

6 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Hold it right there Bub. When bill collectors or Police show up, you are supposed to be respectful, upstanding, honorable...

wait a sec, I'm talking to a goblin.....

Nevermind

Even worse, you're talking to a Goblin about being an "upstanding citizen"  on this forum. ::P:

Us People of the Goblinkind have to stick up for each other - maybe  -  sometimes    -    uhm, never mind.

GEM

• Haha 9

4 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Rapid window exits are what the Defenestration Station is for. If you don't know where that is, just look for the burliest, angriest looking guy in the room(he's usually by the window) and throw a punch at him. He'll then point you in the direction of the nearest Defenestration Station, usually at a rapid rate of acceleration.

*gasps* COPS ARE COMING!!!!!! *pushes @buglips*the*goblin out the window*........well, one day they will, I'm sure.

• Haha 8