Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

My ancestors didn’t show up until, uh (checks). 

... 1670.

Um. They were totally elsewhere. All the way on the coast. Nothing to do with them.

Salem was and remains the port town where the sensible sea-captains lived. Everyone knows the witch stuff all happened inland in Danvers, anyway, not Salem proper, right? (Even if all the tourist junk these days is in Salem - It gives folks a kind of amusement to watch people get all psychically worked up about being in “Salem” when all the witch stuff actually happened next door in Danvers. Salem proper is a pretty cool seaport with an excellent museum of Asian art because all the ship captains brought back so many interesting things from Asia. There’s a lot of dippy touristy witch stuff, too. :rolleyes:)

Mom's family immigrated to Ipswich in 1634 or 35. I've never been in the eastern US so don't know much about the area. Definitely get the distinctions between neighbouring towns though. ^_^

• Like 9

44 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Yea, this mall, like most others, is dying. The big endpiece stores are all but gone. Sears was first, then came Belk and Elder Beerman. Somehow JC Penney is still hanging in there, though. The malls don't have to die. They have to adapt. Strip malls still exist, and as far as I can tell they're still working, so there's no reason that indoor malls shouldn't be able to turn themselves around.

In this particular case, the comic/game shop is probably #3 or 4 on the list in terms of most customers/revenue. You'd think they would want them to expand...

There's a very good chance the mall is waiting its renters out so it can decline to renew their leases and sell the land. Not an uncommon thing, really. They don't want to say that's what they're doing because it could sour whatever deal they have cooking.

Just happened with a mall near me, I think a hotel and office park are going in its place.

You're right that malls don't have to die, but repurposing those structures is more difficult/expensive than just selling them to be demolished, and contemporary retail culture means a lot of people just don't know how to repurpose them even if they wanted to. Without anchors like Macy's/Dillard's/JCPenney, it's very difficult to keep the lights on in such a structure...and Amazon (&co.) is doing its best to ensure that Macy's (&co.) is dead in the water.

Not sure what your area is like, but the few strip malls around here are mostly restaurants, discount/dollar stores and service fronts...none of which would support the HVAC costs of a shopping mall, let alone the elevators, escalators, labyrinthine service corridors, indoor landscaping and janitorial costs that mall leases subsidize. 

• Like 8

On 9/7/2019 at 12:28 AM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Didn't realize the trailer was out for that.  Does look cool.  I do agree with a comment though:
"Hi, I'm a merciless bounty hunter, and you're watching Disney Channel!"
The Disney splash screen at the end is really jarring....

Well, the Disney castle is very defensible. Maybe they're not as kiddie-friendly as they try to make out...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

4 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:
9 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Still frustrated though.

Please be cautious.  abdominal wounds lead to hernias if not taken care of properly.  Those are a mess to deal with.  These can show up years after the surgery.  You can also wind up with adhesions where the scar tissue connects your organs to your muscles and all sorts of other fun.  Take the time given to you.  Sleep lots and rest.  There will be plenty of time later to do all the activities you want.

So, I'm new and was told to come over here and check out the off-topic madness. So, hi everyone!

I have zero context (haven't read back that far) but want to echo @Kangaroorex and others regarding taking it easy. My mother-in-law had her gallbladder removed many years ago. In the process, the surgeon accidentally nicked an abdominal muscle, which is apparently not that uncommon. Because of this, the muscle was weakened and she got a hernia. Another surgery, hernia mesh added. Then, 4 years later, she has some abdominal issues, extreme pain, etc. She goes to the hospital and they think her intestine is twisted and that she needs emergency surgery to cut out the twisted part (it would die without blood flow) and put it back together. Turns out that her hernia mesh (now more or less wadded in a ball) had caused some scar tissue. Scar tissue is "sticky" and can grab on to other things, like an intestine. It was grabbing on so much that it was cutting off her intestinal flow. Luckily, it is an easier surgery to remove the scar tissue than actually cutting the intestine apart and putting it back together. So, that part was good. But, the point is, listen to the doctors and take it easy because you never know when something like that can come back and cause more serious medical issues. The surgeon said that it's unpredictable and there's nothing to prevent scar tissue from doing weird things sometimes, so it could even happen again, or it could not. But the best practice is to avoid more trouble (like a hernia) if you can. My mother-in-law is also the type to do "too much too soon" after stuff like this.

P.S. They treated her like a VIP once she finally (after 6 hours of waiting in the ER with her autoimmune disease) got to see a doctor, likely afraid they'd be sued, which she's definitely considered.

• Like 10
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Dicey said:

So, I'm new and was told to come over here and check out the off-topic madness. So, hi everyone!

I have zero context (haven't read back that far) but want to echo @Kangaroorex and others regarding taking it easy. My mother-in-law had her gallbladder removed many years ago. In the process, the surgeon accidentally nicked an abdominal muscle, which is apparently not that uncommon. Because of this, the muscle was weakened and she got a hernia. Another surgery, hernia mesh added. Then, 4 years later, she has some abdominal issues, extreme pain, etc. She goes to the hospital and they think her intestine is twisted and that she needs emergency surgery to cut out the twisted part (it would die without blood flow) and put it back together. Turns out that her hernia mesh (now more or less wadded in a ball) had caused some scar tissue. Scar tissue is "sticky" and can grab on to other things, like an intestine. It was grabbing on so much that it was cutting off her intestinal flow. Luckily, it is an easier surgery to remove the scar tissue than actually cutting the intestine apart and putting it back together. So, that part was good. But, the point is, listen to the doctors and take it easy because you never know when something like that can come back and cause more serious medical issues. The surgeon said that it's unpredictable and there's nothing to prevent scar tissue from doing weird things sometimes, so it could even happen again, or it could not. But the best practice is to avoid more trouble (like a hernia) if you can. My mother-in-law is also the type to do "too much too soon" after stuff like this.

P.S. They treated her like a VIP once she finally (after 6 hours of waiting in the ER with her autoimmune disease) got to see a doctor, likely afraid they'd be sued, which she's definitely considered.

Thanks for the anecdotal cautionary tale.

Nebulous Missy is an active person who is chafing at the restrictions necessitated by her recent surgery.  Those of us who have "walked the road" are encouraging her to take it easy for a few more weeks to allow her body full time and energy to heal properly and without complications.

GEM

Welcome to the party.

Once we get through with the medical discussions the next, and recurring, topic is FOOD!

• Like 8

*waves enthusiastically from Canada!* :bday:

MrBoot and I are spending the night just south of Vancouver, BC, preparatory to sailing from there tomorrow on a week-long Disney cruise! My SisterBoot invited the two of us to join her family and paid for us (this is going to be like...all the presents for the next couple years lol). 

Lots of firsts on this trip so far: first time driving across a border (went just fine despite my extreme nervousness), first time driving around in a new country (mental conversion from km to mph isn't as bad as expected; basically cut it in half and add a bit lol), first time on a cruise at all! 

I'm looking forward to when we're finally on the boat and I can finally stop stressing about all the things. :lol:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Dicey said:

Welcome to this part of the forums, hope you revel in the chaos here!

This thread will be ending as soon as it hits 1000 pages. Don't worry, it'll Doctor Who itself into a brand new existence soon. ::D:

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

I'm actively avoiding finishing a report for work that was technically due on Friday and has to be compiled first thing for a meeting on Tuesday with the Board of Directors. It is the least favorite part of my job, preparing this report each month. Hence the avoidance. 

I also have the pleasant task of protesting my property taxes tomorrow afternoon so I also need to do research for that. Because I put that off too (and still am). Despite having previously worked in real estate appraisal for nearly 5 years and more or less enjoying it, I still hate the chore of compiling data for myself and talking to some peon at the county for my informal hearing who will tell me his "hands are tied" and he can't do anything with my data anyway. I really don't want to take this to the formal hearing level this year. I'll probably just give up and accept it if they don't do what I want this year, that's how much I don't want to do it anymore. But, I have saved us several thousand in property taxes through the effort.

Sleep is overrated. At least I only have myself and my procrastination to blame when I have trouble paying attention at Monday night D&D.

Edited by Dicey
  • Like 11

28 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

Lots of firsts on this trip so far: first time driving across a border (went just fine despite my extreme nervousness), first time driving around in a new country (mental conversion from km to mph isn't as bad as expected; basically cut it in half and add a bit lol), first time on a cruise at all! 

It is funny how our countries are neighbours and we’re so similar in so many ways and yet once you cross that border it really is noticeable that you’re “someplace different”.

Even though I’m less than 30 minutes from the border I still feel that whenever I cross.

And Woohoo! The Boots in Canada! To be followed by The Boots on a Cruise and then The Boots in Alaska!

Sounds like a series of chapters in a book. Hopefully you’ll have some stories to share when you get back.

Hope you have a Grrreeattt!!! Time with your family! ::D:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

MrBoot and I are spending the night just south of Vancouver, BC, preparatory to sailing from there tomorrow on a week-long Disney cruise! My SisterBoot invited the two of us to join her family and paid for us (this is going to be like...all the presents for the next couple years lol). 

I'm looking forward to when we're finally on the boat and I can finally stop stressing about all the things. :lol:

Huzzah! 

*pulls Bootstrings toward the general direction of Saskatchewan*

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 7

46 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

Huzzah! 

>purple/on<

So they announce Pirates for next year's theme and not two weeks later - you guys are off on a big boat, with no less than Captain Hook and Mr. Smee for Captain and Crew.  And let's not forget about Tic-Toc and Tinkerbell, plus Peter Pan and all theLost Boys, plus, Wendy, Michael, and John.

Enjoy the Cruise and Family Time.

Aye matey, we wants reports we does, - with pictures!  Lots of Pictures!!

>purple/off<

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
tentacles
  • Haha 11

I'm also chafing at the extreme lack of Limits I got from my doctor. I wasn't told I needed to be on bed rest because that's how blood clots happen. Instead I was told to walk as soon as I could handle it, which was Not Helpful when I was on my feet and walking within 4 hours of surgery.

I need Limits to follow and I essentially have none. All I have is my own self-discipline, the Ten Pounds rule, and my extremely tall partner to reach all the tall things and carry all the heavy things and make sure I nap every day.

And this bottle of ibuprofen. I should probably be taking more than I have been. I made curry with rice today and I'm a little sore.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 13

52 minutes ago, Dicey said:

I'm actively avoiding finishing a report for work that was technically due on Friday and has to be compiled first thing for a meeting on Tuesday with the Board of Directors. It is the least favorite part of my job, preparing this report each month. Hence the avoidance. 

I also have the pleasant task of protesting my property taxes tomorrow afternoon so I also need to do research for that. Because I put that off too (and still am). Despite having previously worked in real estate appraisal for nearly 5 years and more or less enjoying it,

- - - empasis= Bold

I still hate the chore of compiling data for myself and talking to some peon at the county for my informal hearing who will tell me his "hands are tied" and he can't do anything with my data anyway.

- - - return to regular type

I really don't want to take this to the formal hearing level this year. I'll probably just give up and accept it if they don't do what I want this year, that's how much I don't want to do it anymore. But, I have saved us several thousand in property taxes through the effort.

Sleep is overrated. At least I only have myself and my procrastination to blame when I have trouble paying attention at Monday night D&D.

I'm a crusty enough old geezer that when any bureaucrat pulls that line my response is along the lines of "Good, that'll make it more difficult to fend off the can of whoop-broccoli, after I talk to your boss."

GEM

Notes for the new people:  broccoli substitutes for a lot of non family rated words and concepts around here.

4 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

I'm also chafing at the extreme lack of Limits I got from my doctor. I wasn't told I needed to be on bed rest because that's how blood clots happen. Instead I was told to walk as soon as I could handle it, which was Not Helpful when I was on my feet and walking within 4 hours of surgery.

I need Limits to follow and I essentially have none. All I have is my own self-discipline, the Ten Pounds rule, and my extremely tall partner to reach all the tall things and carry all the heavy things and make sure I nap every day.

And this bottle of ibuprofen. I should probably be taking more than I have been. I made curry with rice today and I'm a little sore.

A little walking is good.  Too much will lead to overconfidence and the next thing you know you are doing something that puts extra strain on the core muscles, which is where the potential for complications really rises quickly.

Glad that you are progressing quickly.  Keep us updated, please?

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
tentacles
  • Like 10