Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

19 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Hi everyone. I've been gone a while. Trying to get better and stuff. In a pretty bad downward spiral right now. Had been looking up. 

Removed my facebook from my phone. That has helped. But I miss the forums. And people on here. Sorry for not back reading. Dealing with a lot of overwhelming right now. 

Welcome back and no need for apologies.  You just do whatever you need to keep things good for you.  We Will be here waiting.

• Like 8
  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wooo I finished a figure tonight! Roan Heartwood is a druid and the dog cleric's former master; he was her animal companion before she was slain by vampires. Lovely character. Everyone adored her and

Delivered by c-section (), 3:59pm May 8, 2019, 7lbs 10oz, 20 inches.    She started out purple, but quickly turned pink.

So, I woke up to terrible news.  A good friend passed away last night during emergency surgery.  I'm pretty gutted, as is everyone who knew him.  Big Tim was the heart of our race track.  He was t

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Hi everyone. I've been gone a while. Trying to get better and stuff. In a pretty bad downward spiral right now. Had been looking up. 

Removed my facebook from my phone. That has helped. But I miss the forums. And people on here. Sorry for not back reading. Dealing with a lot of overwhelming right now. 

You don't owe us any catch-up reading.

We're glad to have you back.

• Like 7

I'm having a "Tech hating old codger!" moment with my bank, and by extension my insurance company.

I'm at work, and want to do some banking business.

So my bank now has a 2-step security feature that replaces the security questions. They just need to leave you a voice message or SMS with a PIN number. But I work in a remote site without a cell tower. And my work phone number has an extension, and the bank's system doesn't do extensions.

Even if I manage to get a signal at the main gate that does have a tiny cell tower (of 20ft radius), the code is only valid for a few minutes, and the gate is several minutes away. And if I'm not at the gate at the same moment they send the code, I won't receive anything.

So in the words of my bank (I called tech support), I'm out of luck. They'll have email support SOONTM, but not today.

If I want to use my account from work, I'll have to haul my computer home (i.e. *not* work), just to get a bloody phone call.

Hooray for security! :grr:

• Like 2
  • Sad 9
3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

??? I missed that , maybe that's for the best though.

3 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I'm sort of curious, but at the same time...  Kind of glad I missed it too.

1 hour ago, FaekiasDracon said:

I had to re-read the original post to catch that it seems to have been a dream, I'm glad that it wasn't real; this is too idyllic a place for the petty squabbles found on the rest of the Internet to be allowed to taint it. 

Yup, just a dream that Darsc had his hands full with someone who posted up a trade for a flash suppressor for an automatic weapon. Poster kept replying and was somehow managing to get around the filter, then the replies from other people that just nastier as things were being culled. It was a pretty weird dream, caught between the original guy and posters trying to reply to deleted posts in some attempt to get people settled back down.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Ewww! No, I was at work. Nasty!

Of course, we don't use the 5 second rule at home either... cats are as gross as drunk people. 

Besides, I'm getting to that point in my pregnancy where things falling on the floor are gone forever.

Your feet are still there even if you can't find them anymore. -_- My wife was horrified when she caught me eating something that had fallen on the floor. I simply replied that her floors are cleaner than a lot of tables I've seen. 

We don't rate a doctor anymore in this town but instead have a nurse practitioner. That's fine by me as I really like the lady we have and she's been as good or better than the doctors. The powers that be have decided she was overworked (which is very likely) so she got some back up now. The new nurse is in her late 20s, pretty, black hair and blue eyes. My first thought was where were you when I wasn't overweight, balding, married with kids. Oh yeah, most likely in diapers. Just as well, wouldn't want her to think I was a hypochondriac just cause I was hanging around the office all the time.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

Third day of no school here.  I'm perplexed by all the people complaining about the schools being closed on social media because it's going to affect when school's done for the summer.  Mostly because they're acting like it's the school district's fault that the roads aren't safe, when last I checked that was the responsibility of the city and/or county.  100% the county dropped the ball on dealing with Sunday's storm and the situation is definitely going to get worse if the weather projections for more snow and cold weather don't change.  But still, the school district doesn't control the weather or the road crews.  :rolleyes: 

I foresaw all of this back a few years ago when they announced they were eliminating several roads from their snow clearing plan.  It's why I have chains for my minivan.  Maybe when the roads get damaged from everyone using chains they'll realize that snow clearing is cheaper than re-paving.  :rolleyes:

• Like 7
18 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

Mostly because they're acting like it's the school district's fault that the roads aren't safe, when last I checked that was the responsibility of the city and/or county. 

We have a rural/town divide with that here.  Often times, school here gets cancelled or postponed because it isn't safe for the buses on the rural county roads (a lot of them are dirt). So the parents in town get annoyed that school is cancelled or postponed, because their kids can still get to school (a lot of them walk) and while the rural parents call for school to be cancelled more often. 

Noticed that last year, but it became way more obvious once my wife became a school bus driver for the district this year.  

• Like 9
4 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

Question:  Is anyone else seeing the house emblems?  I'm not seeing them anymore, and since I browse on my phone a lot I'm not sure when this happened.  If everyone else can see them I'll try fiddling with my cache and whatnot.  

I am only seeing the bones supporter one

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

Question:  Is anyone else seeing the house emblems?  I'm not seeing them anymore, and since I browse on my phone a lot I'm not sure when this happened.  If everyone else can see them I'll try fiddling with my cache and whatnot.  

Nope gone, as well a the subtitle that says which House you're in.

Maybe it was too much work keeping it up?

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
5 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nope gone, as well a the subtitle that says which House you're in.

Maybe it was too much work keeping it up?

It's possible that feature was removed because the person that originally started it and kept it going (ReaperBryan) is no longer here, and the current admins have enough to manage as it is. Or possibly the changes each time someone joined a House were difficult to implement (I know that Kit said the Bones supporter badges were a nightmare to implement; that's why they never did them again after Bones 1).

I don't have any more info than anyone else, I'm just speculating. 

--OneBoot :) 

• Like 7