Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:04 PM, Gadgetman! said:

Bored...

Stuck at a 2day gathering of the geeks(all 300something of IT employees in my organisation) at a hotel to do nothing useful...

Right now I'm waiting for the main course(something pretentious, didn't catch the name) and tonights entertainment...

(probably a local yokel who thinks he's funny, and is recycling the same horrible jokes I've heard several times before... Did I mention that I've been working there over 25 years? )

300 IT geeks in one place and you cant find a group willing to play some kind of RPG or table top?  you're not trying hard enough. 

17 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Boring coffee tech babble in spoiler.

Hide contents

Changed the recipe for how I brew my coffee from "stock" Clever (4 minutes total, 30 second bloom during such) to a variant of PT's Coffee Clever brewing guide (4 minutes total... 30 second bloom, but at the 2 minute mark you set it on your mug, and it takes about 1m55s to drain into the mug).  I say variant, because I find it a lot easier to go with 75g of water for the bloom, as it actually covers the grounds thoroughly (that and I don't have a gooseneck kettle, and don't really have any plans on getting one).

Ohhhh my.  Much better, and the flavours don't overwhelm.

Why measure everything?  Ever notice how every cup of coffee seems to be somewhat different in taste?  That's what the measuring is supposed to help reduce.  For me, it's more just being able to try out different things and see what happens, and then be able to repeat it.  Also, yeah. Wait, that's pretty much it actually.

EDIT: Also, new coffee grinder is big, like stupidly thick and just a tad taller than old grinder, but man does it grind beans a lot more evenly.  That and it's easier to grind things too (I suspect it's because of the longer arm, and larger burr set)

Mmmm, coffee!

too much like work!  1 scoop per 8 ounces of coffee, grind in hand mill, water heated to 196 deg F  pour into euro press, stir wait for level to go down half way, pour in rest of water put in plunger, wait 30 seconds, plunge

Delicious Costa Rican coffee!

4 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

Third day of no school here.  I'm perplexed by all the people complaining about the schools being closed on social media because it's going to affect when school's done for the summer.  Mostly because they're acting like it's the school district's fault that the roads aren't safe, when last I checked that was the responsibility of the city and/or county.  100% the county dropped the ball on dealing with Sunday's storm and the situation is definitely going to get worse if the weather projections for more snow and cold weather don't change.  But still, the school district doesn't control the weather or the road crews.  :rolleyes: 

I foresaw all of this back a few years ago when they announced they were eliminating several roads from their snow clearing plan.  It's why I have chains for my minivan.  Maybe when the roads get damaged from everyone using chains they'll realize that snow clearing is cheaper than re-paving.  :rolleyes:

problem with that is that the savings for missing road clearing is now.  Cost of repaving is next election cycle and they can blame in on the last elected official (even more humorous when its the same person blaming themselves like they were someone else!).  I would really love to see elected officials money being put in escrow and when their campaign promises don't pay out like they said they would, it has to come out of their pocket instead.  Not going to happen but a person can dream...

1 minute ago, TheAuldGrump said:

And elves, by and large, are complete jerks. ::P:

Isnt this standard for any fantasy setting? 

@Glitterwolf Hang in there sir,  Life it tough and the best way I have found to challenge your sanity is to have children.  I hope everything works out okay in the end.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, TripleH said:

Has anyone else also noticed that the email notifications can be hit or miss?

Is that what's supposed to happen when you tell the forums to notify you when a thread is updated?  I've never received an email.  (That doesn't mean my mailserver didn't eat it.  It does that.  I fear spam isn't quite filling enough anymore.)

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

Is that what's supposed to happen when you tell the forums to notify you when a thread is updated?  I've never received an email.  (That doesn't mean my mailserver didn't eat it.  It does that.  I fear spam isn't quite filling enough anymore.)

In Account Setting, there is an option for Notification Setting and 1/3 down that page you can choose to turn on for notification list and email. 

• Like 5

I is cold. 4 hours outside in -26 C was bearable but not fun. Even less fun is that I accomplished almost nothing in that 4 hours. Tractor is giving me battery problems. She looked at the thermometer and said, "You seriously want me to work now? HA, ha, ha, ha...... Knew that I needed better batteries but it's a new tractor to me and I couldn't figure out how to get them out when I realised they were weak. So I waited until the coldest day possible to learn what to do. It's supposed to be just as cold tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to a repeat to install the new batteries. It's not that hard and won't take that long now that I know what I'm doing. It didn't take me the 4 hours to figure out but I was running around doing other stuff while hoping the old batteries would charge enough to start. They didn't.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

Regarding the disappearance of the forum houses.

Official Answer: 

As this was a game initiated by a former employee and there was not another employee willing to maintain his game, it was phased out with recent behind the scene upgrades. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 6
1 minute ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Regarding the disappearance of the forum houses.

Official Answer: 

As this was a game initiated by a former employee and there was not another employee willing to maintain his game, it was phased out with recent behind the scene upgrades. 

It was a game?  Did we win?

Thanks for looking into it Darsc

if someone could arrange a location for the house icons so we could keep them in our Sig, I would appreciate it. 

• Like 6
On 2/4/2019 at 4:50 PM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Do you have a name for this engineer?  I mean, based on the time frame he's probably dead, but I just want to make sure.

Did anyone else hear a subtle <click-click> at the end of that sentence, or was that just me? lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1
46 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Did anyone else hear a subtle <click-click> at the end of that sentence, or was that just me? lol

No, but I did feel a subtle shifting of body weight and a hand easing toward the back pocket where a little slip of leather is conveniently handy for a quick snatch and >thwack<.

A sap works better in confined spaces as it is quiet so there are fewer inconvenient questions asked and there is less possibility of having a ricochet bouncing off of a bulkhead.  Besides, there's no blood trail while you are moving the inert body to the fantail.

GEM

• Like 7
40 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

No, but I did feel a subtle shifting of body weight and a hand easing toward the back pocket where a little slip of leather is conveniently handy for a quick snatch and >thwack<.

A sap works better in confined spaces as it is quiet so there are fewer inconvenient questions asked and there is less possibility of having a ricochet bouncing off of a bulkhead.  Besides, there's no blood trail while you are moving the inert body to the fantail.

GEM

Surely that’s what garrotes are for.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

if someone could arrange a location for the house icons so we could keep them in our Sig, I would appreciate it. 

1885360662_ReaperHouses.png.c65d3bd623678beb018c2ad835240820.png

I just cribbed these out of a Google cache and dropped them into one PNG image.  I would think (but could not guaranty) that any individual image would be small enough that you could house it in your sig without issue.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Another downside to getting old and having loads of relatively specialized IT experience - I had to turn down what could have been an great opportunity with a terrific company because they can't meet my salary requirements for the position - even with them coming looking for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 7
15 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Surely that’s what garrotes are for.

Can be messy, and lead to extra inconvenient questions.

Besides, a pocket full of "loose change" bound up in a leather purse doesn't raise the sort of questions that carrying around a cheese wire does when you aren't the cook.

GEM

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Can be messy, and lead to extra inconvenient questions.

Besides, a pocket full of "loose change" bound up in a leather purse doesn't raise the sort of questions that carrying around a cheese wire does when you aren't the cook.

GEM

Hmm. Guitar string?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1