Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

3 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I have problems with nearly every giant mecha that I have ever seen.

Mecha make no sense to me at all, at all.

With Battletech earning a special place in regards to bad design. 'Let us put the pilot in the least[/i armored part of the vehicle! And for extra funsies, let's make it the first part to come over the horizon! ::D: '

I can sort of live with smaller mechs - Heavy Gear, Gear Krieg - where the intent is to have a squad support vehicle that can operate in broken terrain. (And, in Gear Krieg - they aren't even all that reliable! They were invented by the Germans because they weren't covered by the Versailles Treaty. I can live with that.)

The Auld Grump - I can also kind of buy them for steampunk - mecha in a steampunk setting date back to the old Edisonade 'The Huge Hunter, or The Steam Man of the Prairies' (1868).

There's an option to have the pilot in the center torso (heaviest armored part of the mech) in battletech. Just is not often taken because it means sitting directly above the reactor and having less stabilization. Also more susceptible to getting cooked alive if you overheat the mech.

I think you may also like Patlabor mechs. they tend to put the pilot in the thickest part of the torso with the head just to mount sensors.

• Like 5

Wow I am annoyed with myself.

I went looking for Relic Knight pictures, and realized that I could use her as a sorcerer riding a warforged. :blink:

51-MHUUJXuL.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

I just found out that Grumpy has had Baldur's Gate on Gog for longer than we have been married.

And never told me.

I LOVED that game, and he knew it.

He just thought I somehow magically knew that I could download it anytime I liked, so didn't think to TELL ME!

He did the same thing with the Eberron books.

Just because I CAN look at what he has on those sites doesn't mean that I HAVE!

He has almost all the old D&D CRPGs. BG, BG 2, IWD, IWD2.

And of course the internet is being an anal polyp tonight, and. Downloading. Very. Slowly.

I just hope they live up to my memory. I was pretty young when I played them.

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

9 hours ago, Pingo said:

Oof. Just got a “shelter in place” notice from the kids’ school. Someone near campus was robbed and the police are searching for the perpetrators, so everyone stays inside for the duration.

That's always stressful, I'm glad it was quickly resolved.  

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

My car has a one foot tall snow hat.

My car is happily parked in my garage, but I'm so sick of being stuck in my house.  And the kids have now missed 5 days of school, except for my high schooler who missed six because she got sick on the one full day of school they had last week.  This is all going to lead to a panic to catch up on two weeks of stuff, which will also suck.  But really, what this means is that I never get any time to myself, and that hour or two alone really helps keep me from being a miserable person to be around.  

4 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I think that there are some recycling centers that might have use for old packing peanuts, but that will significantly depend on your region. And yes, new ones are water soluble! They're still annoying, but they aren't an onerous waste. 

Every once in a while I take a bag of them and donate them to the UPS store.  They're happy to take free product that they can re-sell and the peanuts get re-used.  Then again, I never have to mail stuff to people I don't like.  :devil:

• Like 11

18 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

He has almost all the old D&D CRPGs. BG, BG 2, IWD, IWD2.

I just hope they live up to my memory. I was pretty young when I played them.

If your experience is like mine, they will. :poke: I loved those games too, and still do.

21 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

He did the same thing with the Eberron books.

I feel like I'm supposed to be outraged, but I don't have enough information. Do you mean the campaign setting books, or the novels set in Eberron?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The game books.

He has the core setting in hardcover.

Then he told me to go and buy any Eberron PDFs from DTRPG that I needed for the campaign.

I am doing a globetrotting campaign, so I needed MOST of them.

Where I discovered he already had almost all of them, ONE AT A TIME! "You already purchased this book." Over, and over. <_<

And finding which ones he had was a PitA, because DTRPG put all of them in a big old pile, along with about 2000 OTHER PDFs. Not joking, he has more than 2000 PDFs on DTRPG. He adds maybe one or two more a month.

I don't think he even remembered which ones he had. His explanation was that he bought them when Wizards was getting rid of ALL their PDFs, at blowout prices.

Then the computer he had them on went belly up, and he forgot about them, even after Wizards realized that getting rid of their PDFs was one of their less than bright moves.

They had a lot of those, right about that time.

I think Wizards almost died of terminal stupidity when they were working up to 4th.

Remember the 4dventure! advertising? :zombie: So, so dumb. And Gleemax! :wow:

My wits are starting to wander, and I have CRPGs to boot up!

Wow, I had never really looked at Gog before. They have a LOT of old games. Pool of Radiance is only four years younger than I am!

So THAT was where he got Amnesia!

Now THERE is a game I have never completed. I get about two hours in and go Nope! Nope! NOPE! and run away. That is one SCARY and disturbing game! And you die SO easy.

I think I talked myself into that Relic Knight figure, when the tax refund comes in.

Just what I needed, ANOTHER plot!

• Like 11

Also wow, he has been getting a LOT of maps on DTRPG lately. Just about all he has gotten for about six months, maps and stock art.

I wish I knew which ones I can look at without spoiling things for myself.

Down the Well! THAT one I know!

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Unruly said:

I made the most meaty spaghetti sauce I think I ever have just now. It's different from what I'm used to. Usually I throw in a pound of sweet Italian sausage. This time I threw that in as well as half a pound of ground beef and half a pound of ground pork. It's good. But it's definitely not my usual sauce.

Sounds good to me!

MOAR MEAT!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

WOOF ANNOUNCEMENT

In order to be able to develop more secret weapons a way to save the planet we have asked our members to find ways to generate funds.

A special mention goes to Agent Waggles who we thank for his efforts.

CHAOSTROPHIC-MAYHEM-Picdump-WEEKEND-EDIT

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

I've been in this really weird spot this last couple weeks where I'm aware of my depression, but sometimes I don't have the energy to do anything about it. :wacko: I don't remember most of last year because my brain was so foggy. I got much better the last few months, but I'm not at a normal functioning state yet.

But right now I'm like, "yeah weasels, I see what you're doing. I know what you're up to. I'm gonna go do the opposite of the dumb things you're saying." -continues sitting there-Or I use up all my energy reserves to do the things I normally enjoy but they just aren't making the happy happen. Grr!

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 14

6 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

I've been in this really weird spot this last couple weeks where I'm aware of my depression, but sometimes I don't have the energy to do anything about it. :wacko: I don't remember most of last year because my brain was so foggy. I got much better the last few months, but I'm not at a normal functioning state yet.

But right now I'm like, "yeah weasels, I see what you're doing. I know what you're up to. I'm gonna go do the opposite of the dumb things you're saying." -continues sitting there-Or I use up all my energy reserves to do the things I normally enjoy but they just aren't making the happy happen. Grr!

Welcome to the club! I'll need your name, address, and favorite food so I can get your membership card made up and get you put on the mailing list. Don't worry, we won't clutter your mailbox. The guy who does the newsletter is one of us too, so we're lucky if we get one every 6 months.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

But right now I'm like, "yeah weasels, I see what you're doing. I know what you're up to. I'm gonna go do the opposite of the dumb things you're saying." -continues sitting there-

Or I use up all my energy reserves to do the things I normally enjoy but they just aren't making the happy happen. Grr! 

You're not alone, since December I've been dealing with similar. I've been trying to gently force myself back into painting if nothing else as a distraction from the loops. Are you able to sleep alright? Because sleep deprivation doesn't take long to wreck havoc.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

I haven’t been sleeping well for months, I know it’s stress from work and some family issues but I know it’s affecting my ability to get things done.

• Like 1
  • Sad 14