Jump to content

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Argentee said:

I could use some hugs. 

 

I was messaged profanity and banned from a pro-science Facebook  page for suggesting that before single use plastics are phased out their use in medicine and disabled care as well availability of safe alternatives should be evaluated... by scientists in the medical field. This was taken as an attack :wacko:

 

I do not understand humans.

 

Well sadly it does seem to be human nature to go ahead with plans with no consideration of consequences. Yep, let's get rid of disposable syringes, plasma bags, the millions of other things a hospital uses on a daily basis to save on pollution. It's a great idea. Until you realize there's no way to do those millions of daily things without them. Do you want to be sterilizing and reusing all those items? What's that going to cost and what are the risks?

 

I'm pretty pessimistic when it comes to having reasonable discussions with people and applying logic to those discussions. Sad that it blew up in your face. I grew up with parents and a few other people that felt it was ok to question and disagree as long as you maintained some sort of manners. Too many people don't have that.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:
  On 2/24/2019 at 2:46 PM, CashWiley said:

Never compare yourself to other artists. Art is only a competition with yourself. Compare your work to your previous work. Whenever I'm feeling down about my work, I pull out an old sketchbook so I can see that my skills have actually progressed since then.

I goofed that quote up a bit, I'm sorry, Red. :blush:

 

I didn't want to pull the other thread down in mood, and this thread is good for little blips of emotion before carrying on to other topics. My forgetfulness has gotten more and more extreme this past year. When I was at ReaperCon talking to Patrick Keith about sculpting, I was forgetting what he was saying as he was saying it. I tried writing down what he was saying, but it meant I was missing the sculpting demo. So I still effectively missed the information. 

 

I've been mixing up words (like "car" instead of "chair" or "speakers" instead of "scissors"), I can't do simple math in my head anymore, I forget my sentences three words in. I've been doing WIP threads for my stuff because I won't remember the order or what I used. I've got other medical stuff still going on but I guess I always thought I'd at least still get to keep my brain, haha. I've been trying to get proper sleep, vitamins, sun, etc.

 

I understand what you said, Cash. You're the reason why I have my 2017 notebook still. ^_^ So it really threw me off when I sat down to draw and.... I didn't remember how.

  • Sad 15
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Zink said:

I'm pretty pessimistic when it comes to having reasonable discussions with people and applying logic to those discussions.

Me, too.  In general now, when I respond to someone's comment on FB or other social media, I try and write my counter argument with the idea that I'm writing it for the third party observer, not the person I'm "arguing" with.  Beekeepers may be the only place anymore where I aim my counter arguments directly at the person I'm discussing things with. 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Zink said:

 

Well sadly it does seem to be human nature to go ahead with plans with no consideration of consequences. Yep, let's get rid of disposable syringes, plasma bags, the millions of other things a hospital uses on a daily basis to save on pollution. It's a great idea. Until you realize there's no way to do those millions of daily things without them. Do you want to be sterilizing and reusing all those items? What's that going to cost and what are the risks?

 

I'm pretty pessimistic when it comes to having reasonable discussions with people and applying logic to those discussions. Sad that it blew up in your face. I grew up with parents and a few other people that felt it was ok to question and disagree as long as you maintained some sort of manners. Too many people don't have that.

 

Exactly. I’m not saying there is no way to reuse, or recycle, or replace with biodegradable plastics... I’m saying get the evidence before you pass the laws. 

 

I was a weird little kid and my parents raised me it was ok to question and disagree. That you had to be polite. That you needed to get the facts and organize them. 

 

You’re right. That kind of discussion seems... out of style these days, which is sad. 

 

In other news, the Cafeteria has reinstated Taco Tuesday after a month without! So I was able to get something other than Questionable Curry for lunch. 

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

 

I've been mixing up words (like "car" instead of "chair" or "speakers" instead of "scissors"), I can't do simple math in my head anymore, I forget my sentences three words in. I've been doing.

You and my auto corrupt would get along great.  Lately ist been randomly swapping 3 letter words with pretty much no regard for context (though I'm thankful it's not 4 letter words...)

 

I have enough meds for my issues that i I completly understand crossing words.  It happens, im just glad the folks here are forgiving, as are my friends and coworkers.  It is frustrating to know what you mean and hear something else com out of your mouth.

 

5 minutes ago, Argentee said:

 

Exactly. I’m not saying there is no way to reuse, or recycle, or replace with biodegradable plastics... I’m saying get the evidence before you pass the laws. 

 

I was a weird little kid and my parents raised me it was ok to question and disagree. That you had to be polite. That you needed to get the facts and organize them. 

 

You’re right. That kind of discussion seems... out of style these days, which is sad. 

 

In other news, the Cafeteria has reinstated Taco Tuesday after a month without! So I was able to get something other than Questionable Curry for lunch. 

When I started working professionally I moved to south Carolina.  For my sanity I moved to an area with a lot of military and transplants.  We had a sort of code when we hit that kind of thinking: when one of the group caught on that the discussion had become an argument of politics or philosophy they would say 'I know what's right, don't confuse me with facts' basically causing the rest of us to drop the subject.  It didn't always work but it did prevent a good deal of pointless headbanging.

 

I now find myself using that a lot more than I would like when talking to friends and coworkers.

 

In that vein though:  one of the great things about the group I work with is the pretty rampant blindness to race, gender, disability or preference.  Ther just seems to be a great deal of respect for everyone's ability rather than what they look like and I am really happy to work there. I admit, were a relatively small firm and we pretty much have to rely on each other to survive but that we do without much of the pettiness that has abounded in my other jobs speaks well of everybody from the operators to upper management

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

This seems worthy of celebration ::D:

 

It is! Taco Tuesday  is great!

 

questionable curry is tasty, but there’s about a 30% chance that I’ll end up in the restroom asking myself “Whyyyyyyyy did I eat that ?” ::P:

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Argentee said:

I could use some hugs. 

 

I was messaged profanity and banned from a pro-science Facebook  page for suggesting that before single use plastics are phased out their use in medicine and disabled care as well availability of safe alternatives should be evaluated... by scientists in the medical field. This was taken as an attack :wacko:

 

I do not understand humans.

Everyone is freaking out because there's a picture going around of a sea turtle with a straw up its nose. Which is horrible, truly. But plastic fishing nets cause far more damage to sea turtles, as well as plastic grocery bags. But people aren't freaking out over those like they are straws.

 

3 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

 

My only issue is which Javelin to start with.  Sure, I have another two days to figure it out (might as well call it two and a half, as it'll have to install first), but it's tough whether I'll want to first unlock the Colossus or the Interceptor...  Hubby's pretty much picked Storm.  I can't quite decide between the two because I love the whole IN YOUR FACE BASH THEM ALL kind of tidibts of the Colossus (and the heavy weapons!), but there's also the "zippy flippy, I'm here, no I'm over here now, don't mind me while I slice and dice everything in range while doing a triple axle while jumping around" playstyle of the Interceptor...

 

So it's basically big, powerful, get in there, get in thick tank....  Versus omg zip zip zap bap.  Both would require a decent amount of focus, but I will admit I'm worried the Interceptor would drain my brain too quickly (aka only be able to hold focus for an hour or so before needing a break)

 

My issue is in soooo many games I've played the tank, that I'm kind of used to doing such...  But at the same time, a Colossus would definitely pair well with a Storm...  And I like me some biiiiiig EXPLODEY GUNS!  Ooooooh, they can have railguns, that makes it even harder to decide >.>;;;;  ...Then compound that with the fact they aren't necessarily bound to any particular playstyle...

 

I'm still kind of (playfully) envious of those who get samples..  I've yet to have one dropped in a package.  One of these days I'll have one in there ^_^

Hubby and I are playing colossus and storm together. Hubby (who is also a tank person) is loving it! The interceptor is fun, but does require a bit of finesse. Honestly though, all of them play easily. Their play system is very well designed.

 

1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

I goofed that quote up a bit, I'm sorry, Red. :blush:

 

I didn't want to pull the other thread down in mood, and this thread is good for little blips of emotion before carrying on to other topics. My forgetfulness has gotten more and more extreme this past year. When I was at ReaperCon talking to Patrick Keith about sculpting, I was forgetting what he was saying as he was saying it. I tried writing down what he was saying, but it meant I was missing the sculpting demo. So I still effectively missed the information. 

 

I've been mixing up words (like "car" instead of "chair" or "speakers" instead of "scissors"), I can't do simple math in my head anymore, I forget my sentences three words in. I've been doing WIP threads for my stuff because I won't remember the order or what I used. I've got other medical stuff still going on but I guess I always thought I'd at least still get to keep my brain, haha. I've been trying to get proper sleep, vitamins, sun, etc.

 

I understand what you said, Cash. You're the reason why I have my 2017 notebook still. ^_^ So it really threw me off when I sat down to draw and.... I didn't remember how.

All I can say, without knowing your situation, is BE PERSISTANT WITH YOUR DOCTORS. Don't let them tell you nothing is wrong! If my father had been more persistent with his doctor four years ago, he might be in a better situation now. You're the only one who knows your body and mind the best, so don't let a doctor dismiss something that isn't working correctly.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Morihalda said:

 

I've been mixing up words (like "car" instead of "chair" or "speakers" instead of "scissors"), I can't do simple math in my head anymore, I forget my sentences three words in. I've been doing WIP threads for my stuff because I won't remember the order or what I used. I've got other medical stuff still going on but I guess I always thought I'd at least still get to keep my brain, haha. I've been trying to get proper sleep, vitamins, sun, etc.

 

Ugh.  I went through that last year with a new medication. I was loosing entire DAYS, as well as my hair.... Told my Dr I won't be taking that any more, it wasn't helping anything, just making me sicker. 

 

Today has just been oppressively grey and cloudy. I want to crawl into a hole with a tank of hot cocoa. 

 

 

  • Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

All I can say, without knowing your situation, is BE PERSISTANT WITH YOUR DOCTORS. Don't let them tell you nothing is wrong! If my father had been more persistent with his doctor four years ago, he might be in a better situation now. You're the only one who knows your body and mind the best, so don't let a doctor dismiss something that isn't working correctly.

Seconded. 

I would be in much worse situation with my Colitis had I not pursued it with my doctors, which allowed me to get a handle on it early, before it did too much damage.  It's hard, though, when the experts (the doctors) are telling you there is nothing wrong or "that's normal for X".  The thing to remember is that YOU'RE the expert when it comes to your own body and no one else can ever be more of an expert about it than you can. 

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kristof65 said:

Seconded. 

I would be in much worse situation with my Colitis had I not pursued it with my doctors, which allowed me to get a handle on it early, before it did too much damage.  It's hard, though, when the experts (the doctors) are telling you there is nothing wrong or "that's normal for X".  The thing to remember is that YOU'RE the expert when it comes to your own body and no one else can ever be more of an expert about it than you can. 

Doctors are not the easiest to work with.  I have been lucky with mine knowing there stuff and knowing when to stop and send me to someone else.  but at the same time it is you who has to realize that something doesn't line up or is having an interaction.  I have had that experience first hand with the left hand not realizing what the right hand was doing (Quite literally in my case for about 24 hours... weird experience, not to be repeated)

 

It is best to listen to the doctors and then make the decision based on what they tell you about benefits and interactions, just make sure you ask.  I have noticed that people who ask the doctors and nurses what they are doing and express interest get better descriptions and reasons for what is going on then people who just yell fix it!

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kangaroorex said:

  I have noticed that people who ask the doctors and nurses what they are doing and express interest get better descriptions and reasons for what is going on then people who just yell fix it!

Good point - the same thing happens in my job. It is much easier for me to help those who want to help themselves than it is people who yell at me. 

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

I packed my first box today(still needs taped up though)! Naturally, it's all minis. Of course not /all/ the minis I own but a fair amount of ones still in the blister packs and some in bags.

 

I also printed some to-do lists and various other things to help that I'm going to put in a binder once I get one. And labels, printed lots of labels. Stopped about halfway through the second batch because the printer ate the paper and jammed and I really don't feel like going through the effort of getting it un-jammed. 

 

Currently, I am reading through info about cats. Specifically how to introduce cats. Our cat has been in a one cat household for about 10 years so I'm not sure how well she'll adjust to this. I'm sure it'll be fine but I'm just worried about a lot of things that I probably don't need to be worrying about.

  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

I'm just worried about a lot of things that I probably don't need to be worrying about.

Look at it this way - it's usually the stuff that you didn't think to worry about that catches you off guard the most. 

Call it a preemptive strike. 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

I packed my first box today(still needs taped up though)! Naturally, it's all minis. Of course not /all/ the minis I own but a fair amount of ones still in the blister packs and some in bags.

 

I also printed some to-do lists and various other things to help that I'm going to put in a binder once I get one. And labels, printed lots of labels. Stopped about halfway through the second batch because the printer ate the paper and jammed and I really don't feel like going through the effort of getting it un-jammed. 

 

Currently, I am reading through info about cats. Specifically how to introduce cats. Our cat has been in a one cat household for about 10 years so I'm not sure how well she'll adjust to this. I'm sure it'll be fine but I'm just worried about a lot of things that I probably don't need to be worrying about.

Ack, moving.  I always hated moving.  even with a moving company I hated moving.  glad you are organized about it, I have always had a policy of throw it in a box and find it later.  This does not work well when you have 500 boxes and want the silverware... I cant recommend it.

 

Good luck to you and it looks like you are off to a good start but don't wear yourself down trying to get everything done.  it will be there tomorrow...

  • Like 6
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...