Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

5 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

I agree with this too.  all lawful evil means is that the creature will follow the set of rules it sets for itself.  This does not mean it will follow rules set up by others.  the idea of a dragon offering an ancient greeting ritual to get the group into its lair and a contained environment is a perfect plan for any thinking entity.  (as in, I should have thought of that!)

Enter freely, go safely, and leave a little of the happiness you bring. - Dracula (Literally - son of the dragon....)

One of my own favorite encounters with a dragon was when one started giving a lesson on the nature of economics to the party. ::P: 

'Wealth, true wealth, is organic. It feeds, grows, and multiplies. It creates lines of communication, it promotes travel and enterprise. These coins that I bed on were the least part of my wealth, and what I commanded was the least part of the wealth of this city. These coins are static, cold, and dead....'

The Auld Grump

• Like 13
  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my favorite dragon encounter is still the red dragon priest of Iomedae, especially since it was a Chellax prince who talked the party into defeating the evil red dragon who was taking territory from one of his duchies. 

It turned out the dragon was releasing serfs and freeing slaves, and giving them the lands that had been stolen from them.  Oh boy howdy was that an apology session once the party sorted things out.  you think it would be a clue when they said they were from the prince and the peasants ran TO the dragon for protection.

Of course, later in that campaign they nearly got eaten by another red dragon because they didn't suspect...

In the worlds I run, dragons are like any other sentient race.  The culture may have a leaning but the individual still has the right to make their own decisions in life.  Though from experience, the evil metallic dragon is much harder to pull off convincingly, although I have seen gold dragons played as lawful evil because order trumped good. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

In the worlds I run, dragons are like any other sentient race.  

Same here. And I straight up tell players that they cannot rely on a dragon's color to know anything about it.   Most dragons in my world breath fire, regardless of their color, and their alignments are more a factor of their personality than anything else.  Depending on the environment the dragon lives in, I may give them abilities to match.   All of them have 12 syllable names, and expect to be addressed by their full name.   My dragons also can't shape change, though the elder ones have learned a trick to use avatars. 

Spoiler

A secret of my setting is that the mysterious and little seen race known as halflings (halflings aren't a  playable race in my setting) are actually an avatar of a dragon. 

• Like 10
1 hour ago, kristof65 said:
1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

In the worlds I run, dragons are like any other sentient race.  

Same here. And I straight up tell players that they cannot rely on a dragon's color to know anything about it.   Most dragons in my world breath fire, regardless of their color, and their alignments are more a factor of their personality than anything else.  Depending on the environment the dragon lives in, I may give them abilities to match.   All of them have 12 syllable names, and expect to be addressed by their full name.   My dragons also can't shape change, though the elder ones have learned a trick to use avatars. 

Dragons are sapient. That means, like any /other/ sapient critter, they can learn.

Now... some dragons have rep to deal with (red dragons, particularly), so a 'good' Red might not want it bandied about that he's taken over a city because the last ruler was a big ol' *censored* who was doing things to his people even the dragon had trouble with. A blue might (this is actually a thing in my Golarion head-canon) take a hind-seat to a non-dragon ruler and observe, rather than actively taking over, because, dangit, this is new and weird and she's never even /heard/ of this kind of thing (it's .. well, it's what happens when my players do something, nothing quite works out as the module-writers planned it). 

I'm still trying to figure out how to handle metallic dragons; either they're interfering goody-two-claws, or they're aloof holier-than-thou sages or .. there's no middle ground, and that drives me bonkers. SAPIENT! Capable of learning! Choice! Screwing up! Ugh.

• Like 11
34 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

Can anyone recommend a good chair for painting that can also work as an office/gaming chair?

Resist the temptation to go with an Ikea Galant (edit) Errrr Markus (end edit).  They're cheap and cheerful, but after about six months, start getting issues...  Twelve months some serious ones.  If you like tension (or the ability to lock the back in place), those seem to be the first, or second thing to go (the height tube thingy usually fights it for "first death" honours).  The only reason ours have lasted so long is they weren't used for like... A year and a half or so of their three years in the place.

We're probably going to give the Secret Lab Titans a shot soonish - by soonish they'll be over the next two months or so is our plan.  Main downside is they're expensive - not SteelCase expensive, but still.  $500 CAD a shot is still a hefty amount >.>;;;;

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 6

Thanks, y'all. We're hoping by 2020 or 2021 we'll have the money and insurance to figure everything that's going on, but until then I just keep having to take it slow. I don't plan on giving up art, I just need to readjust my mental learning schedule. But I hate slooooooooow. ::P:

• Like 12
9 hours ago, Argentee said:

I could use some hugs. 

I was messaged profanity and banned from a pro-science Facebook  page for suggesting that before single use plastics are phased out their use in medicine and disabled care as well availability of safe alternatives should be evaluated... by scientists in the medical field. This was taken as an attack :wacko:

I do not understand humans.

If I express my true opinion, based on nearly7 decades of close observtion and experience of the human race, North American Version, I will be booted so far into Beekeepers that it will take a week for the internet signal to reach me.

Suffice it to say that the Millenial Generation has a highly inflated opinion of themselves individually and collectively, [for the most part as there are exceptions and those exceptions will Rule The World in another 4 decades {if not sooner}] based mostly on a complete lack of experience with the Real World and too much time on the Internet listening to each other.  Add in their total disregard for the ~actual~ experience of those of us old enough to have a working knowledge of how the world actually functions and what local exceptions to "the rules" can and do apply and you will begin to see the scope of the problem you are dealing with.

If they are going to engage in profanity and ban you for your simple observation then they are Posers.

Because your observation should have been met with  a response of "Why do you say that?".

GEM

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Argentee said:

I could use some hugs. 

I was messaged profanity and banned from a pro-science Facebook  page for suggesting that before single use plastics are phased out their use in medicine and disabled care as well availability of safe alternatives should be evaluated... by scientists in the medical field. This was taken as an attack :wacko:

I do not understand humans.

Have a hug- it's a bit late, but still totally valid. Seriously, what's wrong with some people? 

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Everyone is freaking out because there's a picture going around of a sea turtle with a straw up its nose. Which is horrible, truly. But plastic fishing nets cause far more damage to sea turtles, as well as plastic grocery bags. But people aren't freaking out over those like they are straws.

Most people don't know about all the rubbish from the fishing industry and how much damage it causes ::(: so when they see something familiar like a straw causing suffering it's easy for them to get behind a campaign like that.

Personally, I've been using paper straws for years. One of my old cats liked eating straws, so the paper ones were a far safer option ::P:

3 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

Currently, I am reading through info about cats. Specifically how to introduce cats. Our cat has been in a one cat household for about 10 years so I'm not sure how well she'll adjust to this. I'm sure it'll be fine but I'm just worried about a lot of things that I probably don't need to be worrying about.

We've done this a couple of times with adult cats (soooo much easier with a kitten) and the best advice I can give is take it slow, make sure they have a safe room to retreat to and positive reinforcement with a treat that they adore can work wonders. Oh, you ignored the other cat? Have a treat! Sniffed the other cat without being aggressive? Have another treat!

Although sometimes they sort it out themselves. When we took in our little bengal/ragdoll mix she was terrified, aggressive and refusing to eat food. Her owner had just passed away and as far as the poor wee thing was concerned, we were the enemy. We kept her in the spare room and would try unsuccessfully to interact with her. One day she got out of the room just before I left for work and I couldn't catch her however hard I tried. "Fine", I said "Be like that!"

I left, hoping that the little livewire wouldn't be too hard on my sweet little Diabetic calico or my 17 year old tabby. I shouldn't have worried- when I returned the little minx was happily snuggled with them both on the sofa. My old boy had this classic look of "Who the heck is this?" on his face ::D: It still took her ages to trust us, but at least she had feline buddies from that day on.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Hide contents

A secret of my setting is that the mysterious and little seen race known as halflings (halflings aren't a  playable race in my setting) are actually an avatar of a dragon. 

Spoiler

Are they each an avatar, or do they combine together to form the dragon?

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Haha 9
8 hours ago, haldir said:

Out of spite for the players (there were 2 mainly that were upset the "Lawful Evil dwahgun" didn't play right, I just told them he may be lawful but he's also evil. While at work last night I decided that sounded too much like oh so famous cliche "oh it's fantasy, deal with it!" I think my logic behind it besides the Monster Manual stating:

"The most cunning and treacherous of true dragons, green dragons use misdirection and trickery to get the upper hand against their enemies."

The whole invoke ancient dragon ritual/code, welcome to my lair, bla bla bs + he also told them he had a half-sister that was bigger & out to get him, he was in the process of making a deal with the party. Also he tried to insert deceit with the local druid who was on the PCs side.& it would have went on if he could have continued. He did succeed in getting the party close enough together for his breath weapon thou. Mission accomplished)

& I'll let the players know next Monday & tomorrow night if some of the players are at the other game I'm running now due to overcrowding/demand for D&D is, he's young, he still hasn't matured enough to fall into the standard category. It's like the standard PC races, ex Dwarf, acc to the MM, most are Lawful Good, but will everyone of them be LG? Uhh no there is gonna be a variety. I know allot of people tend to take the dragons & make them kinda Pathfinder's version where they don't really fall into the all Chromes are evil, & all Metals are good. I do, thou the individual dragon, that's a different story.

Overall thou, the game was fun. The whole moment the dragon turned on both the party & the dragon cultists (to be honest, they were more shocked then the party, due to they had just made a deal with the dragon right before the PCs showed up) was anther great moment with these players. Overall, 3 of the 5 PCs failed their save vs poison when he let loose his chlorine gas. The cleric was 1 pt of damage away, from a massive hit (double your existing HP, & no more character for you!). The dwarf cleric got off a great readied spell vs the cultists & dealt like 9 or 10 pts to all of them. The leader of the cultists bit it hard in the end as literally he got "bit" as the dragon chomped him in half, out of spite that & the guy's name was "Favric". Really, WoTC? That's the best you could come up. He ended up being Favric, "Best of our Lives" as a take on "Cotton, fabric of our lives". The goblin "man"-servant "Gloop" was starting to to come around to most of the party so they kinda took it hard when he took pretty much the full blast. 7 HPs total & he takes 47 pts? Yah no more goblin.

It's funny how they were able to escape from it as well. The dwarf cleric was the last person out of the tower/cottage with him having a slower movement then anyone there, he decided to go the way of a barred door vs running the open but long way to escape. So the dragon flew out of the open tower & proceeded to harass the players that stayed behind. One of them was the human cleric of Eldath (goddess of peace). She stayed behind to make sure everyone got out before she did. Which the player has been playing more of a protector then a aggressor anyways. The dragon went after her & the dwarf managed to break the door down with the help of the druid using spells & the drow paladin bashing from the other side. The drow then decided to "compell duel" with the dragon, as he said "Hey if I'm going down, I'm going down fighting!" Unfortunately, the spell failed but the drow was an annoying gnat to the dragon, anyways so instead of finishing off the human cleric, it flew over to the drow. Again it was a good thing there were 2 healers, as they were both keeping people from dying outright. It was when the druid cast prestidigitation to make it appear that a stone had smacked the dragon in the back of the head (ie the wandering NPC druid was in the area) was when the dragon peeled off it's attack (it failed it's INT check miserably) & went to find whoever had the Gaul to throw a rock at him! The party just booked it out there. They did swear they'd be back to seek revenge thou. I expected them as the dragon pretty much handed their elfs to them on a silver platter. Overall they got in 8 pts of damage to said beastie the entire combat...whoops!!!

Exactly how I pretty much run those 2 alignments. Again, I was using what the Monster Manual says about green dragons in general. They are more likely to scheme you vs a red would just outright break you down.

It's funny at a eatery in Bally's I ate on Thursday of LVO, they used paper straws. It's been forever since I used one but wow I hated that thing with a passion. I should have just un-capped the cup & drank it that way (ice water). It's funny people go ape over the straw but what about the lid? You don't hear anything about that. It's like I seen that people were arguing over how to properly draw a "X" on the webs...ummmm really people, this is how society falls?? :blink:<_<

Quote: "Is this how society falls?"

If you read enough history the short answer that comes to mind is "Yes, it is.".

Most people have no concept of how tenuous a "Civilization"  really is and how when it starts to destabilize it can reach a tipping point very quickly.

GEM

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:
5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Everyone is freaking out because there's a picture going around of a sea turtle with a straw up its nose. Which is horrible, truly. But plastic fishing nets cause far more damage to sea turtles, as well as plastic grocery bags. But people aren't freaking out over those like they are straws.

Most people don't know about all the rubbish from the fishing industry and how much damage it causes ::(: so when they see something familiar like a straw causing suffering it's easy for them to get behind a campaign like that.

Personally, I've been using paper straws for years. One of my old cats liked eating straws, so the paper ones were a far safer option ::P:

I have some glass (tempered!) straws. But the fact is, we don't /use/ straws! Not even very much when we go out and eat, for whatever reason. Using glass or steel or reusable plastic straws might be a decent solution, but then I have to wonder about cleaning them. That is not efficient (I have a cleaning toy, it's like a bottlebrush, only small), and it's not likely to be, given my experiences with dishwashing machines only being able to do so much with pressurized hot water (might be different if stuff isn't baked on or let to dry, admittedly). So, how's a diner, or a restaurant going to manage? Go to no straws by default, give a reusable one if asked? Or just stick with disposable straws, and, I'unno, shred them? You can't recycle materials with food traces on them, so ... How would that even WORK?

People confuse me, some times.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Hide contents

Are they each an avatar, or do they combine together to form the dragon?

LOL...Hmm, I hadn't considered that possibility. 

I don't have it clearly defined yet, because so far, only one PC has made any sort of connection between dragon and avatar, and the PC/Player had pretty good motives to keep the secret to themselves.  I'm pretty sure it's one dragon - one avatar, but I've waffled on whether the avatar is a physical manifestation of a psychic projection, or some sort of flesh golem they inhabit/control or something else.  I'm sure that will be defined in a future campaign some day. 

• Like 6