Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

Okay, what happened?  Did Monday eat everyone?  

 

It's been very quiet for a monday...

 

 I seem to be coming down with a cold. Definitely slowing me down.

 

Had a crew of cat people thisclose to being finished, but there has been a Special Request for multispecies pirates, so I've set the flerken aside and been gluing assorted pirates together, mostly successfully (jeepers, Dark Sword miniatures are fussy).

 

 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

 

I blame daylight savings time.  Despite getting up on time I'm so tired that I'm behind on everything.  Time to pour that afternoon cup of coffee....

So do I.

 

I'm over it today, but yesterday was almost a complete waste.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

At least they aren't talking about the Stackpole effect! ::P:

 

(for those unfamiliar, it's how Michael Stackpole decided in the books they wrote that hey, upon being shot up sufficiently, the fusion engines in mechs will go boom in a spectacular fashion, making a gorgeous (but dangerous to anyone nearby) explosion, and it's been retconned into most of the games, despite NONE of the sourcebooks making any kind of mention of this kind of thing happening even if the engine's shielding were directly damaged)

 

And you can probably blame Yoshiyuki Tomino for that. He's the guy who created Mobile Suit Gundam, and by extension the Real Robot genre, and in it the mecha all explode fantastically if their fusion reactor is scratched. Or maybe it was Kunio Okawara, the guy who designed the mechs in the original Gundam series who decided that part of it. But whatever, it's probably Gundam's fault in general.

 

Still don't care, though, because original Gundam is great, and 08th MS Team is some of the finest anime ever created.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just skipped a bunch of pages. Didn't have the energy to catch up today. Med adjustment is leaving me exhausted, slept til noon today.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, eldamir said:

I tried MW Online a few times, but got ran over by kids with tricked out mechs and much faster reflexes than I now possess.. :zombie:  Dying in the first few minutes of combat every time just wasn't all that fun after a while..

 

That was the issue I ran into back in the day too...  Was always fun to take down a heavy hero mech in a medium though...  Or seriously damage an Atlas in the first volley.  Man, that guy was complaining like crazy on his Twitch stream because "some upstart" almost took him out in the first two minutes.

 

3 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Okay, what happened?  Did Monday eat everyone?  

 

It tried, but thankfully while the day was light, I still had to take a decent amount of breaks.

 

34 minutes ago, Unruly said:

 

And you can probably blame Yoshiyuki Tomino for that. He's the guy who created Mobile Suit Gundam, and by extension the Real Robot genre, and in it the mecha all explode fantastically if their fusion reactor is scratched. Or maybe it was Kunio Okawara, the guy who designed the mechs in the original Gundam series who decided that part of it. But whatever, it's probably Gundam's fault in general.

 

Still don't care, though, because original Gundam is great, and 08th MS Team is some of the finest anime ever created.

True enough.  Either way, I'm glad it doesn't plague all of the games, because there's just something delightful about hitting something with a vibroaxe..  Or a fist.  Or kicking them.  Or being somewhat crude and DEATH FROM ABOOOOOOOVE! :P

 

Oh wait, I started talking Heavy Gear, where VibroAxes (and the design of the game itself, and the environment) actually do make walker suits more versatile, and it's baked pretty hard into the fluff about how "hey, uhm, tanks can't handle the ragged terrain on Terra Nova all that well".  Mmmm, vibro weapons.  Always loved those.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the heavy Gear universe was about the best suited for the 'mech' environment.  not quite big stompy robots, more like large military exosuits.  now if only their models would stick together with some type of glue.  the metal ones are so heavy they need pinning and they have all sorts of small parts and the plastic ones dont do well with CA or with plastic model glue.  its sort of disturbing to get a couple of armies out on the table and watch as half of them fall apart the first time someone bumps the table hard.  Again, pinning is the answer but all the pieces...

  • Sad 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

At least they aren't talking about the Stackpole effect! ::P:

I thought you were referring to pulling a "jump jet fricassee" on many a teenage boys fantasy crush?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

I thought the heavy Gear universe was about the best suited for the 'mech' environment.  not quite big stompy robots, more like large military exosuits.  now if only their models would stick together with some type of glue.  the metal ones are so heavy they need pinning and they have all sorts of small parts and the plastic ones dont do well with CA or with plastic model glue.  its sort of disturbing to get a couple of armies out on the table and watch as half of them fall apart the first time someone bumps the table hard.  Again, pinning is the answer but all the pieces...

 

Ah, good to know it's six billion part struggle with their stuff...  Means more money for other things! ^_^;;;;  Most of the books I have are considered ancient nowadays, being about two decades old now... o_O

 

21 minutes ago, NomadZeke said:

I thought you were referring to pulling a "jump jet fricassee" on many a teenage boys fantasy crush?

 

Not quite sure what you mean by that, as I haven't read too many books by him.  Now I'm rather curious.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, NomadZeke said:

Natasha Kerensky.

Ahhhhh, that's why.  I haven't done much reading that involves her.  Most of what I've read is, uhm...  off the top of my head?  The trilogy involing Phelan Kell, the Warrior trilogy, and the Twilight of the Clans series.  I have other books, but... Yeah.  Slowly trying to build the full collection, but seems to be harder every year.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warrior Trilogy was good. Twilight of the clans...history of the Grey Death Legion is good. I like "illusions of victory" too. Solaris 7 stuff.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Okay, what happened?  Did Monday eat everyone?  

 

It's been very quiet for a monday...

 

 

I've been doing my darndest to keep it a quiet Monday.

 

 

15523623564882601982820673567759.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Okay, what happened?  Did Monday eat everyone?  

 

It's Tuesday here, but I do feel like I got chewed up and spat out :down: first day back at work after a 3 day weekend so I shouldn't be complaining, but I guess I am.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...