Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Waiting to hear back from a local store to see if they want to hire me part-time. I need something to do to break up monotony.

Yay! Just realized we are less than 5 weeks til Baseball Spring Training Games start! Go Cardinals!

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 11

Got my dog and cats back home with no issues. Was afraid it could be icy because of the rain all day yesterday and the below freezing temps this morning. I guess the streets "froze  dry" over night. All furbabies were happy to see us. I was afraid the cats might be mad at us but the weren't. They are all pretty sweet furbabies.

• Like 13

We actually got snow last night...sigh. I was hoping we'd make it through the season without a significant amount of accumulation. Probably 3 or 4 inches if that out there. Which so far is allot for us. Temps are high (40s) so it's melting away. I got home from work & proceeded to shovel off the deck & the neighbor bunny's hut & made a path for her so she have a bit easier time out there.

Tonight's Starfinder Society night but I'm calling in "sick". I worked my 8th day in a row last night & I'm tired. Plus I just want a night to stay at home. I need to do some stuff for LVO anyways. I'm not gonna have too many days off to work on things for that as it is + I do wanna get started on one of my player's drow figure.

4 hours ago, eldamir said:

They cancelled school for 4" of snow??? And it's in the high teens (F) with no wind ... methinks the district administration was really jonesing for a snow day..

In the winter of '17 it snows like crazy here but after Christmas Break the roads were fine. They were covered but they were still fine. My son missed like 9 or 10 days in a row due to school district called off school those days. One of the days was slick & some parents moaned & complained it wasn't safe. After that day the school didn't want to hear the complaints so any slight problems they cancelled the day. My son paid for it but them adding (get this) an extra 15 mins to each day after spring break, all the way to school's end + the extended the year as well.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

Snow day?  No idea what those are.  When I was in school they didn't really do those.  But I also live in Northern Alberta, where we're supposed to be used to a bunch of snow.... 

• Like 5

It was more or less, the school district people would travel the back roads in the area & they found those to be bad, they'd call the day. While my son doesn't like getting up for school, we was getting so bored with staying home each day. He knew thou, he'd have to pay it back later in the school year.

• Like 6

My driveway is not long but quite steep. A few years ago it started dumping freezing rain and I was getting home from work in my cruiser, a Chevy Impala. Got up the drive and it started to slide forward, but stopped before going off the concrete pad. It then decided to start sliding straight backwards, going off the drive into the drainage ditch in front of our place. We had to wait for 3 days due to the storm for a tow truck to be able to get it out!

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Snow day?  No idea what those are.  When I was in school they didn't really do those.  But I also live in Northern Alberta, where we're supposed to be used to a bunch of snow.... 

They never closed the school when I was a kid either, but parents were allowed to say that the weather was too poor and keep kids home.  Apparently the logic was that if a child didn't get the memo then they could freeze to death waiting outside the school.  We did get stuck with inside recess if it was below -30C.  I remember one winter that dragged on for weeks--talk about cabin fever!

• Like 7

We live in a snowy, cold climate and didn’t have a snow day for a twelve year stretch, until we got more than three feet of snow in a single storm. The kids in school didn’t know what a snow day was.

Four inches? It is to chuckle.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Pingo said:

We live in a snowy, cold climate and didn’t have a snow day for a twelve year stretch, until we got more than three feet of snow in a single storm. The kids in school didn’t know what a snow day was.

I know, right? I grew up in Wyoming and can only recall one time where we had a snow day - we had 3ish feet on top of an existing few feet overnight, then the temperatures plunged into the dangerous range (of course, we were still in and out of the house sledding and playing all day lol) .. The biggest thing I remember from that storm was that it was deeper than i was tall, so we were able to make trenches around the yard to play in 

• Like 7

I recently heard of an incident where someone who was in a snow fort died when it collapsed on them.  I think it was a young kid, so if you let your kids build those things, make sure they aren't building themselves a death trap.  Google says it was a 12-year old girl in the Chicago area.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

Stomach virus making the rounds of my house, my sister's house, and my aunt's house. I managed to pull a muscle in my back forcefully emptying my stomach through the in door, so all day spent in bed doing a whole bunch of nothing, bed spread is soaked in sweat and I feel like someone dumped a bucket of water on me. 

Though i I am not going through a breakup, I had to listen to this song...

https://youtu.be/DT1cNPcSAh0

• Sad 9

I remember several times where they "snowed off" school halfway through the day and sent the kids home- resulting in very angry parents because kids couldn't get into their houses because the parents were still at work or couldn't get home from school after it closed because if it's too snowy to keep the school open, guess what? It's also too snowy for the buses to run! 

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Ah yes, the "wisdom" of cloud storage, and cloud based software.....

That's why I use software that syncs between my desktop, my laptop and the server at my client's. 

It means I have three copies of anything I do, and a computer to access it from. 

16 hours ago, sumbloke said:

20190123_134834.thumb.jpg.efa8c9565ca39299d1b297d20d8b7323.jpg

This is what Canberra looked like a couple of hours ago...

That picture could be just about any place given how far you can see. 

42 minutes ago, MiniDungeonMaster said:

I remember several times where they "snowed off" school halfway through the day and sent the kids home- resulting in very angry parents because kids couldn't get into their houses because the parents were still at work or couldn't get home from school after it closed because if it's too snowy to keep the school open, guess what? It's also too snowy for the buses to run! 

One of the neighboring school districts here did that exact same thing yesterday. Lots of uproar on social media about it. 

I've found here that snow days are mostly about how safe it is to drive the buses.  An icy mist that leaves all the streets and roads slick will get school delayed or canceled, while nice soft fluffy snow that comes down slowly enough for the plows to deal with it won't, no matter how deep it is. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

I still remember when President Obama (from Chicago) learned that schools in Washington DC had been closed due to 2 inches of snow.... (28 January 2009 - if anyone is interested.)

"Can I make a comment that is unrelated to the economy very quickly?" the new president told reporters at a gathering with business leaders. "And it has to do with Washington. My children's school was canceled today. Because of, what? Some ice?"

The president said he wasn't the only one who was incredulous.

"As my children pointed out, in Chicago, school is never canceled," Obama said to laughter. "In fact, my 7-year-old pointed out that you'd go outside for recess. You wouldn't even stay indoors. So, I don't know. We're going to have to try to apply some flinty Chicago toughness."

Asked if he meant the people of the national's capital are wimps, Obama said: "I'm saying, when it comes to the weather, folks in Washington don't seem to be able to handle things."

I'm from New England, and have lived in Maine for forty odd years - you can guess where my own expectations lie.... ::P:

The Auld Grump - My ex-girlfriend, while taking courses in Vermont, took snowshoes to school.... *EDIT* Sterling College - Craftsbury Common, Vermont

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 7