Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Froggy the Great

5 hours ago, Unruly said:

This weekend can't end fast enough.

Whoa, easy there, killer; mine hasn't even started yet. If you're not going to use it, send the weekend to me; I'll put it to good use.

I do hope that whetever's got you upset sorts itself out quickly, though.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, TGP said:

Now this...

...this, is the @Unruly we’ve come to know and commiserate with. 

Too much rain on your parade?

14 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Whoa, easy there, killer; mine hasn't even started yet. If you're not going to use it, send the weekend to me; I'll put it to good use.

I do hope that whetever's got you upset sorts itself out quickly, though.

Oh, no, you misunderstand me. I'm not having a bad time right now. I'll just be having a better time when ALL of the stupid college kids are gone, along with their stupid parents. And after Sunday they will be. The only college kids left in town will be the ones taking summer courses, and, for the most part, those ones are the ones that don't cause problems.

This is the second best weekend of the year for me. Next weekend, the first one where they're all gone, is the best. So the sooner this weekend is over, the sooner I get to really relax.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Unruly said:

This weekend can't end fast enough.

I feel you there, got to work this morning and the power to the bandsaws and glue pots has been switched off. No clue when it will be turned back on as it is maintenance that has it

off, most likely to re-wire the circuits to bring them up to code for an industrial environment, then we may actually get them wired at 240V rather than 110-120V. That would be nice as it would prevent the motor from trying to bog down when cutting the standard 3 filters at once for our special sized filters that we keep in stock rather than cutting when needed. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, FaekiasDracon said:

I feel you there, got to work this morning and the power to the bandsaws and glue pots has been switched off. No clue when it will be turned back on as it is maintenance that has it

off, most likely to re-wire the circuits to bring them up to code for an industrial environment, then we may actually get them wired at 240V rather than 110-120V. That would be nice as it would prevent the motor from trying to bog down when cutting the standard 3 filters at once for our special sized filters that we keep in stock rather than cutting when needed. 

So what are they having you do in the interim? Carve stuff with a pocket knife?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Here's hoping it's something easy and inexpensive to fix.

GEM

First guess is the alternator.  Not the worst repair to need, but not something you can put off.  On the plus side it was quick to get a tow at 10pm. And hubby got us both home.  

• Like 12

12 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Starting to seriously consider that.

Huh. Even with chips being required at more and more places? 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Unfortunately yes, at least in the US. Consider a restaurant:

Very commonly, you hand a piece of plastic with almost all the information you need for online purchases embossed upon it to a total stranger, then let them carry it away from you for several minutes out of sight, right before you hand them a sample copy of your signature.

RoW chip&pin is substantially better, though still far from perfect.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 9

13 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

How many BD units is the box? ::P:

None - it is too big for her to play Turtle. ::P: (She pulls the box over herself, and crawls around under it.)

The cats are shying away from it - but may be enticed by the smaller boxes.

The dog, on the other hand, may try to eat it. ::P: (He loves the taste of wet paper bags. <_<)

The Auld Grump

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, klarg1 said:

Unfortunately yes, at least in the US. Consider a restaurant:

Very commonly, you hand a piece of plastic with almost all the information you need for online purchases embossed upon it to a total stranger, then let them carry it away from you for several minutes out of sight, right before you hand them a sample copy of your signature.

RoW chip&pin is substantially better, though still far from perfect.

Out here that concern has been mostly solved by doing the "craziest" thing ever - bringing the debit/credit machine to the table ::P:

Edit: card never leaves your hand, and most of us use tap to pay (which has its own problems, but still), or even Google Pay so odds of them ever seeing enough card info is.... Well, it's till possible, just nowhere near as easy. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 9

Just now, WhiteWulfe said:

Out here that concern has been mostly solved by doing the "craziest" thing ever - bringing the debit/credit machine to the table ::P:

I've started to see that more here in the city lately.

Lunch time! Last of the burgoo. Think we're doing gumbo for next week. 

• Like 8

In the Netherlands it is custom to bring that card machine to the table or walk with the waiter and put that card in yourself.

Also we have anti skimming "mouths" on the ATM's so they can't scan your card.

In Spain and Greece I have seen the same already.

My card never leaves my hand.

• Like 7

It's friday, the clock is 6:40pm,  the elfed alcolock in the office Caddy is broken, the tow truck ETA is 45 minutes, I'm hungry, and stuck at a ferry dock way out in the boondocks...   

Just a typical friday in the glamorous world of tech support...   

Did I mention that it's raining?

• Sad 10