Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Froggy the Great

Huh.... The party is split - which is according to plan - Jon annd Duncan are on official 'Distraction Duty' while we sneakier people skulk into the hideout for a splinter sect of the Silver Flame - if I am reading things right... they aren't just targeting the King, they are planning a coup to establish a theocracy.

And trying to expand their mandate beyond just the werecritters but a crusade against the undead as well.

The team now knows that the King is a vampire, but I think we will be keeping it a secret that we know, because we don't want him to know that we know.

It is also looking like my mentor may have been selling information to all three groups. Profiting from the conflict. :grr:

It is very much looking like he is one of the bad guys.

Very, very film noir. I am so danged proud of her! :wub:

The Auld Grump - okay, it is never a good sign when the GM shouts *BOOM!* Things have gone awry....

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

I can pretty much guarantee it's not still the '90's - if it was, I'd have a lot more hair.

I have more hair on my head now than in the early 90s.

It's just distributed somewhat differently with more in the southern hemisphere and less in the northern hemisphere if you catch my drift.

GEM

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Out here that concern has been mostly solved by doing the "craziest" thing ever - bringing the debit/credit machine to the table ::P:

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

In the Netherlands it is custom to bring that card machine to the table or walk with the waiter and put that card in yourself.

Also we have anti skimming "mouths" on the ATM's so they can't scan your card.

The skimming scammers attach gear (circuit cards with wifi) to gas pumps as well as ATMs in the lower 48. 

In US restaurants these things:

ziosk_press.png...have appeared.

They have them deployed at every table, they are not hard wired, I guess they use wireless [?] but I think they scan rather than read the chip. 

These gizmos also have video games, and visual menus, in addition to the Card Reading function. The wretched marketing majors that control them rigged them where they charge you to play the games. 

~~~~~~~~~~~

This is why cash is still printed & minted. 

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, TGP said:

The skimming scammers attach gear (circuit cards with wifi) to gas pumps as well as ATMs in the lower 48. 

In US restaurants these things:

ziosk_press.png...have appeared.

They have them deployed at every table, they are not hard wired, I guess they use wireless [?] but I think they scan rather than read the chip. 

These gizmos also have video games, and visual menus, in addition to the Card Reading function. The wretched marketing majors that control them rigged them where they charge you to play the games. 

~~~~~~~~~~~

This is why cash is still printed & minted. 

huh, I've only ever seen those at red robin I thought they were just their thing

• Like 5

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Oof. 

Also, oof. 

I hurts. I'm surprised at how much more comfortable I was on that gawdawful hospital bed.

Additionally, oof.

If oof is all you're saying after making a literal person, and having it burst from your body like an alien, you get to claim to have super powers. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

huh, I've only ever seen those at red robin I thought they were just their thing

Chili's and Ruby Tuesday also have them. They have started to appear at some Pizza Hut locations in my area as well, but mostly the newly built/remodeled ones. 

14 hours ago, eldamir said:

So what are they having you do in the interim? Carve stuff with a pocket knife?

It turned out that it was just a new policy that management wants them turned off overnight so that the machines aren't left on, they also are having us cut power to the air compressors because they will run all night and burn out the motor in the current temperature fluctuations from day to night. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, FaekiasDracon said:

they also are having us cut power to the air compressors because they will run all night and burn out the motor in the current temperature fluctuations from day to night. 

Wait... You mean they weren't shutting them off and draining the tanks every night once the shift was over? 

Because that's how you get tanks to rot from the inside... 

Assuming they're tanked air compressors...  Even a 24 hour operation has to occasionally drain air compressor tanks (preferably daily) in order to prevent rusting/rotting of tanks on the inside due to accumulated moisture.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Pillows, and rolled up blankets.

Tell Hubby you are commandeering all the pillows until further notice.

GEM

I think your hubby owes you a few new pillows of any desired shape and support you wish... at least those were the marching orders i got when my children were born!

21 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Wait... You mean they weren't shutting them off and draining the tanks every night once the shift was over? 

Because that's how you get tanks to rot from the inside... 

Assuming they're tanked air compressors...  Even a 24 hour operation has to occasionally drain air compressor tanks (preferably daily) in order to prevent rusting/rotting of tanks on the inside due to accumulated moisture.

so many things here.  It depends a lot on the setup.  the industrial air systems we use have automated blowdowns and driers to minimize stagnant liquid in the storage tanks and reservoirs and dewpoint meters to ensure that the lines stay dry.  Its one of the cheaper protective systems we have on the air supply.  

otherwise the valves go from pneumatically operated to hydraulically operated in a hurry at the far end of the air lines! (they dont work very well that way... they work even worse when the weather gets cold and the water becomes a solid.

shutting down the systems must make for at least some delay as the glue pots heat up in the morning, either that or someone gets to be the unfortunate morning person getting in to start the coffee and the glue pots....  maybe they can make the donuts too!

• Like 9

After Evil Necromancer lady insulted the group, insulted the librarian priest of Wee Jas, and taunted the dog about his former master.... the group did go a little bad. Partially practicality, partially vindictive and calling her bluffs. She was acting strong after being defeated, after all. The fighter stabbed her feet, and they contemplated cutting out her tongue (so she couldn't cast spells). The former hostage did egg them on a bit. Once confronted with the option of dragging the necro-meanie back to town while fleeing from Meaty the Zombie Dragon, or fighting the zombie dragon and risking her getting out, they decided to slay her. The librarian priest, who even did give last rites to the other two necromancers who had fallen in battle, refused to do so for her. 

Bright side: they saved three people and defeated Meaty. 

Funny side: when a Brain in a Jar mind controlled the scout, he shot the librarian and skewered him to a wall, nearly killing him in one blow. Against a mimic, the scout managed a set of d20 rolls that was 1/3200000. He got FIVE nat 20s in a row - we saw him rolling, and nothing was fishy. The first four were crit threats, and confirming crits. The next was another attack, which ended up as a crit. 

• Like 9

Last night at D&D I was informed that my character technically died last session after I had to leave, but the DM had me just be all busted up and get possessed by a super Will-o-Wisp instead because he didn't think it was fair to kill me when I wasn't the one making the character decisions. Which is pretty decent. Still almost died again tonight in the big boss fight. But we rescued the 3 dragonborn, killed a Lamia, her minotaur guard, and the super Will-o-Wisp, escaped a horde of goblins and some more minotaurs, and made our way back to the surface.

There was some PvP involved, because one of the players, who claims that she's Good but plays as an Evil, wasn't going to give one of the dragonborn the head of their dead brother unless they paid her 1,000 gold for it. Being that we had just saved them from slavery, they couldn't pay and she threatened them. So I grappled her and tried to pin her to the ground so that another party member could get the head, which was currently being worn as a belt trophy, and give it to the dragonborn. After I grappled her, she attacked me a few times before relenting and giving up the head when I didn't let her go. And this was right after she was telling everyone that she was going to kill me when I was possessed even though she knew that I was possessed.

After I had to leave, because I always have to leave at least half an hour before everyone else calls it quits for the night, we went to meet a member of the local semi-royal family who has some misgivings about his brother and wants us to investigate. In two weeks the brother is essentially holding a job fair and it's our job to get the jobs so we can snoop around. So we've got two weeks of downtime in game that we're handling between sessions and then we'll be doing the job stuff when we play again.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 8

Getting ready to head out to work. Just working 0700-1230 now, which is doing better for the back.Tomorrow will be  a day of firsts, Redambrosia's First Mother's Day and my first one without my Mom. May God bless all you Moms out here as you have the toughest and most important job there is!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2